You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: 2018 was a very good year.

3 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
11,697 posts
7,510 battles

In 2018, it was possible to obtain premium ships in every tier from 2 to 10 for free (or almost, see below), if one had enough time to play the game at a sufficient level of skill. The following is not an exhaustive list, as I have deliberately left out the Steel ships; getting them required significant effort to have been put in in previous years.

Tier 2 - Tachibana Lima was offered for in-game performance.

Tier 3 - Varyag likewise, and Dreadnought as of 20 December for those who have every double-daily so far. Campbeltown for coal.

Tier 4 - Yubari was placed in the Arsenal and could be obtained free for coal.

Tier 5 - Okt Rev was placed in the arsenal and could be obtained free for coal.

Tier 6 - Aigle was offered for a marathon event. Warspite OR Gallant could be had free for Sovereigns (I am not sure if the Hall of Fame gave you enough RN crates to get both). Aigle later became a coal ship, and we have another Tier VI premium to be won in December/January.

Tier 7 - Indianapolis was offered free in a Marathon.

Tier 8 - Cossack is an exception, as she required at least a purchase of 99 US cents or equivalent, but she must be given an honourable mention.

Tier 9 - Musashi, Kronshtadt for Free XP; Musashi and Jean Bart for coal.

Tier 10 - Salem for coal.

Of the above, I got Tachi Lima, Varyag, Campbeltown for coal, Aigle for coal, Warspite (or rather, her doubloon value) for Sovereigns, Indianapolis in the Marathon, Cossack in her event, and Musashi for Free XP.

I am not sure I can get enough coal before the end of the year to get Salem, but I am going to try very hard. 

I am not sure it was possible to get all the ships mentioned above, but it might be done if you ditched Campbeltown, won Aigle in the Marathon, and were the sort who could play to three containers every night and spam More Resources. I could have done better in Go Navy and won even more containers, so there's that as well.

If you were free-to-play, 2018 was very, very good indeed. I wonder what 2019 will bring.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,165 posts
4,785 battles

Just to add that for free 2 players, the September-December period was probably the best.

In addition to Warspite/Galant and Cossack, you could loads of tier VIII permanent camouflages.

If you hadn't you could finish the 2nd Anniversary collection with camos for Monarch, Z-23, Kiev, Charles Martel and New Orleans. There was also the Helena permanent camouflage Marathon. In October-November you could win permacamos from the Halloween pumpkins and in November-December a free Lightning camouflage. These opportunities were (are still in some cases like 2nd Anniversary and Lightning camouflage) worth their weight in doubloons and didn't require much effort as well.

Edited by warheart1992

[ARGSY]
Members
11,697 posts
7,510 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Just to add that for free 2 players, the September-December period was probably the best.

In addition to Warspite/Galant and Cossack, you could loads of tier VIII permanent camouflages.

If you hadn't you could finish the 2nd Anniversary collection with camos for Monarch, Z-23, Kiev, Charles Martel and New Orleans. There was also the Helena permanent camouflage Marathon. In October-November you could win permacamos from the Halloween pumpkins and in November-December a free Lightning camouflage. These opportunities were (are still in some cases like 2nd Anniversary and Lightning camouflage) worth their weight in doubloons and didn't require much effort as well.

This is absolutely true, and I got all of that except the Halloween high-tier creepy zombie ship camos (I did get the Nassau steampunk camo). But premium ships come with their own permacamos and are a complete ready-to-go package, so I decided to concentrate on covering that. And there were free camos winnable for the Normandie and Baltimore as well (got those), while the American collection gave you a T8 Cleveland camo if you were late to the game and hadn't put one on her before she was elevated.