You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kami

Monday Funday!

58 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
1,611 posts
757 battles

Hello Captains,

What ship do you find to be the most fun to play and why?

You could be having a bad day and you want to let off some steam or it could just be your favorite ship.

I personally find the Yamato as the ship I play for fun!

I like the combination of firepower, range and how tough it is to kill the Yamato!

As some would say: Sink the Yamato!

Yamato_Trial_1941.jpg

Members
1,928 posts
8,337 battles

I have favorites in each tier, but if there were only one ship I'd be able to play it would have to be Mass.

[WORX]
Members
4,226 posts
15,313 battles

The ATL and the Ishokazi...

These two playstyles are my favorite in the game. I feel bad for the BB tears that flow but in the end, is all in good fun.

@iKami

BTW

Can I PM you for an inquiry?

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,235 posts
8,382 battles

A very difficult question. 

6 minutes ago, iKami said:

As some would say: Sink the Yamato!

With my Graf Zeppelin, damnit, thanks for reminding me of my favourite ship!

[WGA]
Administrator
1,611 posts
757 battles
4 minutes ago, Orca86 said:

Warspite for me!!!

Why is the Warspite the ship you play for fun?

9 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

I have favorites in each tier, but if there were only one ship I'd be able to play it would have to be Mass.

What about the Massachusetts do you like the most? Secondaries? 

[WGA]
Administrator
1,611 posts
757 battles
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The ATL and the Ishokazi...

These two playstyles are my favorite in the game. I feel bad for the BB tears that flow but in the end, is all in good fun.

@iKami

BTW

Can I PM you for an inquiry?

You can PM me.

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles

My fav has been Scharnhorst but I have dropped in win rate recently. Down from 54% to 49% I do believe.  Facing tier 8-9 all the time now...or so it seems. Low man much more these days than I used to be with her. 

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
10 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Out of curiosity, since I'm about to get Halsey from the Hit Hard campaign and recently won a Mass B from a free crate, is IFHE pretty much mandatory for a secondary build here?

Members
1,928 posts
8,337 battles
Just now, iKami said:

What about the Massachusetts do you like the most? Secondaries? 

The trollish secondaries combined with the hitting power of American 16" guns. Most coop matches turn into brawls and, IMO, Mass does a better job than Tirpitz, even without torpedoes. 

Members
1,928 posts
8,337 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Out of curiosity, since I'm about to get Halsey from the Hit Hard campaign and recently won a Mass B from a free crate, is IFHE pretty much mandatory for a secondary build here?

Yes, it absolutely is mandatory. The 5in guns are fireworks without the pen boost. 

I run IFHE and AFT. Didn't pick manual secondaries b/c (IMO) the rate of fire makes up for inaccuracy and sometimes you need to engage targets on both sides. 

That's the only real downside to Mass... she requires a specialized commander to work properly and that commander isn't going to be as good on the other USN BBs. 

Edited by Gen_Saris

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
3 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Yes, it absolutely is mandatory. The 5in guns are fireworks without the pen boost. 

I run IFHE and AFT. Didn't pick manual secondaries b/c (IMO) the rate of fire makes up for inaccuracy and sometimes you need to engage targets on both sides. 

That's the only real downside to Mass... she requires a specialized commander to work properly and that commander isn't going to be as good on the other USN BBs. 

Well, my plan is to swap Halsey into Montana (which will get used much more than Mass B) and take the 19pt commander and put him into Massachusetts to play around with.

But I honestly couldn't imagine not taking Manual Secondaries on a secondary build ship.  That would be like forgoing AFT on an AA-spec ship.  Trust me, I'd rather use the MS 4-points towards CE, but with Mass essentially needing three level 4 skills (MS, AFT, IFHE), I can't seem to justify CE at all.

[SHAFT]
Members
543 posts
13,286 battles

My fave will always be my first T10 - my Shimakaze.

Its  a tough little boat to do consistently well with, but oh how glorious it can be when the stars align.

Nothing better than dev striking those unsinkable T10 bbs that just want to sail straight lines ignoring the mini-map.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles

If i had to choose between the ships i've had...

it's a split between Colorado and Mass

-Mass: the secondaries and trolliness of it. You can just troll people endlessly with it

-Colorado: If i had any one favorite tech tree ship, it's this. Yes i know it is a USN standard but you have guns that hit hard, reload faster than the earlier 14" guns, and have dispersion that is amazing (feelsgoodman dispersion). Fondest memory of it? Absolutely wrecking a musashi at 50% with a broadside and him only doing maybe 45% of my 70% health left.

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles

I've fallen in love with the Yorck. She's a firebrand - underestimated in every battle and always punches above her weight. :) The recent AP changes make it more comfortable to land shots, too.

• Cool 2

Members
1,928 posts
8,337 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Well, my plan is to swap Halsey into Montana (which will get used much more than Mass B) and take the 19pt commander and put him into Massachusetts to play around with.

But I honestly couldn't imagine not taking Manual Secondaries on a secondary build ship.  That would be like forgoing AFT on an AA-spec ship.  Trust me, I'd rather use the MS 4-points towards CE, but with Mass essentially needing three level 4 skills (MS, AFT, IFHE), I can't seem to justify CE at all.

Problem with 3 top lvl skills is that it's going to gimp you somewhere else... likely in survivability. Now Mass turrets are quick enough that you can live without expert marksman on the dedicated commander, but you don't want to gimp yourself too much for a little extra performance from the secondaries. 

[WGA]
Administrator
1,611 posts
757 battles
1 minute ago, yungpanda said:

I've fallen in love with the Yorck. She's a firebrand - underestimated in every battle and always punches above her weight. :) The recent AP changes make it more comfortable to land shots, too.

The Yorck, that is an interesting choice. The Yorck is a ship that has received a few buffs and seems to be in a pretty good place.

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles
Just now, iKami said:

The Yorck, that is an interesting choice. The Yorck is a ship that has received a few buffs and seems to be in a pretty good place.

Had Eugen rented out a few months back and she did quite well...

Beta Testers
692 posts
8,614 battles

Battleship Hindenburg

Nice HE (even though she's German)

Decent AA

Tough Hide

Decent AP at range

Sometimes people forget you have a lot of torps and close with you

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

But I honestly couldn't imagine not taking Manual Secondaries on a secondary build ship. 

I've played around with it on the PTS where the penalties for an improper skill build are negligible and the results are impressive, but in normal play I mostly use my Scharnhorst with BFT, AFT and AR in co-op YOLO charges either for fun or for secondary-battery hit tasks (for which she has been enormously productive), and for that I prefer to concentrate on torpedo dodging and main-armament application while my secondaries do their thing on both sides of the ship.

In effect what you seem to want to do is make the secondaries an integral part of your primary armament, which is actually pre-dreadnought thinking (an observation, not a criticism; there's definitely a place for that doctrine). And if you're buying a battleship for the express purpose of utilising her secondary armament as much as possible, then CE is arguably pointless as you are actively seeking to close to ranges where it cannot benefit you.

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And if you're buying a battleship for the express purpose of utilising her secondary armament as much as possible, then CE is arguably pointless as you are actively seeking to close to ranges where it cannot benefit you.

I tend to use battleships to retrain captains when moving to new ships (no Last Stand/Priority Target makes Randoms really difficult). I know CE becomes super important for many battleships after low-tier - would secondary battleships work better for captains with disabled skills?

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And if you're buying a battleship for the express purpose of utilising her secondary armament as much as possible, then CE is arguably pointless as you are actively seeking to close to ranges where it cannot benefit you.

Thankfully, I didn't purchase the ship.  She'll likely see little action anyway, unless there is a US BB line split in the future where the sub-branch is more brawling focused.

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've played around with it on the PTS where the penalties for an improper skill build are negligible and the results are impressive, but in normal play I mostly use my Scharnhorst with BFT, AFT and AR in co-op YOLO charges either for fun or for secondary-battery hit tasks (for which she has been enormously productive), and for that I prefer to concentrate on torpedo dodging and main-armament application while my secondaries do their thing on both sides of the ship.

In effect what you seem to want to do is make the secondaries an integral part of your primary armament, which is actually pre-dreadnought thinking (an observation, not a criticism; there's definitely a place for that doctrine). And if you're buying a battleship for the express purpose of utilising her secondary armament as much as possible, then CE is arguably pointless as you are actively seeking to close to ranges where it cannot benefit you.

yeah honestly i'd rather take CE over manual secondaries.

1) you need to MANUALLY designate a target on one side of the ship thus cutting off half your ship's secondaries and your ability to take on multiple threats

2) CE allows you to close the range without being spotted allowing your secondaries to get in range while keeping your ability to take on multiple threats

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

On a bad day (WoWS wise), St. Louis, or Nassau.

ye olde pirate ships at T3? (save for the glorious mikasa)