You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Advice wanted on Benson 4th upgrade slot.

5 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
11,728 posts
7,526 battles

Propulsion mod vs. Rudder mod?

I know the arguments for both and am leaning toward propulsion. What do experienced Benson users do, and why?

[HYDRO]
Members
3,174 posts
4,785 battles

You will be spending some time in smoke plinking with your catapults, so the propulsion mod can often help with making quick getaways and avoiding incoming torpedoes. 2.7 seconds rudder shift without the rudder mod is better than most other tier VIII DDs with the mod.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,693 posts
15,672 battles

Your play style kinda dictates what you should choose.

Do you camp in smoke a lot? User propulsion mod to get out quick. It also helps when evading by slowing and starting quicker.

If you knife fight you might find the steering gears mod worth your while. Although Benson is a quick ship to turn you can't go wrong if dodging torps or using the WASD hack.

Benson is fun! Good luck with her. (Saw in another post you ditched Mahan pretty quick. I don't blame you.)

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
6,454 posts
10,713 battles

Typically, propulsion mod.  The rudder shift time on Benson is already pretty good.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,727 battles

Propulsion Mod will save your bacon a hell of a lot more than .02 better rudder shift. Even if you don't play smoke a lot...how about island play stopping and slowing, reversing to loop shots over islands? PM will get you more DPM as well when engaging in this kind of play and just like smoke if someone sends torps PM or not can be life and death. RM's addition to the handling of the ship is so tiny it can't be detected. You can feel PM kick in when you step on it every time you're stopped to start, reverse to start. It only affects you in the very begining of Acceleration but it's impact IMO is significant on my game play nearly every game (I DD main ..mostly in US and IJN so I Benson a fair bit and love it. Benson and Fletcher are my go to ships and both go PM.