You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gprix84

premium shop

13 comments in this topic

[RSF]
Members
100 posts
9,561 battles

Has anyone else ever wondered why the pricing in the shop is so weird. With all the  prices ending in odd number  of change why all the .49 .39 .29 .85 .77. I always have small amounts let over on my cards that i have to transfer to new ones or just though a dollar and some change away just bugs me to do that.

[DDM_]
Members
1,552 posts
4,343 battles

Perhaps it has something to do with exchange rates? If WG sets pricing in Rubles (or whatever the Russians are using these days) and then just converts that price to local currencies that could account for the odd numbers. 

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
1,776 posts
9,545 battles

It's not exchange rates or any of the other ideas mentioned.

It's doubloons.

If you look at the prices of the same premium ships that show up in the tech tree, copy down those nice even 500, 200, 000 -ending prices in doubloons, then go to the premium shop and see what it takes to buy those doubloons in cash (but add in another 300 doubloons for the port slot - the tech tree purchase doesn't buy you the slot, the premium shop purchase includes one), you will see the cash for the doubloons needed for the ship (and the port slot) equals the premium shop cash price for the ship (which includes the port slot)

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
11,697 posts
7,510 battles
14 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

It is. Guineas in Canadian dollars just about reflect the rather horrible exchange rate (for Canadians) between $CDN and $US. FML, and thank God I can afford it. (I only needed the ten-pack, which was good, but I feel for others who had to take a break in the middle or missed some tasks and needed to buy more.)

• Cool 1

[RSF]
Members
100 posts
9,561 battles
19 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

It's doubloons.

If you look at the prices of the same premium ships that show up in the tech tree, copy down those nice even 500, 200, 000 -ending prices in doubloons, then go to the premium shop and see what it takes to buy those doubloons in cash (but add in another 300 doubloons for the port slot - the tech tree purchase doesn't buy you the slot, the premium shop purchase includes one), you will see the cash for the doubloons needed for the ship (and the port slot) equals the premium shop cash price for the ship (which includes the port slot)

Ok this makes sense since i just check that way  thanks for pointing that out never thought of it that way

• Funny 1

[-V1-]
Members
370 posts
6,454 battles

Has anyone taken note of the wide variance in the number of doubloons received per dollar spent in the various deals that the shop sells?    They vary substantially.   I always reduce every deal to the cost per dollar and then choose the deal that maximizes my return. 

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
1,776 posts
9,545 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It is.

Don't be so sure. Look at all the regular prices on ships in the premium shop, look at the prices in the tech tree for the ones of those that are also sold in the tech tree for doubloons, and do the math.

I haven't done it, but I would expect the same works for Premium time prices.

Exchange rates will make almost all currencies come out odd.

There are some event-specific things (crates, Santa boxes, flags) that are in even dollar amounts, or end in xxx.99, but the staple items (premium time, doubloons, ships), their cash prices convert to the nice round numbers of their in-game doubloon costs, no matter what real-world monetary currency you're using.

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles

Something you can do to use those $1.27 left on a card is open a paypal account and add it to that. You then set it as the primary card and make sure you have another (new card) added. PayPal will use the primary card 1st and then take it from the second card you have on there. Saves wasting that last few $$’s on each card. Just remember to remove the card once it’s empty.

Hope this helps!

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
11,697 posts
7,510 battles
Just now, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Look at all the regular prices on ships in the premium shop, look at the prices in the tech tree for the ones of those that are also sold in the tech tree for doubloons, and do the math.

Sorry, to clarify - I'm not saying you're wrong about the premium ships, but as you yourself said:

1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Exchange rates will make almost all currencies come out odd.

We are both right. The confounding factor is that not all tech tree premiums are reflected in the shop and vice versa, although I grant that we have more than enough data to draw sound conclusions for the ones that are.

Members
1,928 posts
8,318 battles
1 hour ago, dbw86 said:

Has anyone taken note of the wide variance in the number of doubloons received per dollar spent in the various deals that the shop sells?    They vary substantially.   I always reduce every deal to the cost per dollar and then choose the deal that maximizes my return. 

A wise consumer. 

[-K-]
Members
6,453 posts
10,702 battles

To be honest, the only thing I've ever really questioned is how there are different price points for same type/tier ships.  You'd think a T8 BB would cost the exact same regardless of choice, yet you have different standard pricing for Kii, Tirpitz, and Massachusetts.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,776 posts
9,545 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

We are both right. The confounding factor is that not all tech tree premiums are reflected in the shop and vice versa, although I grant that we have more than enough data to draw sound conclusions for the ones that are.

Point well made.

My thrust is that if a player/customer likes to see nice, even increments in the pricing of goods, if you convert it to a doubloon price, you'll find there is where the "more orderly" numbers lie. Whoever sets prices at WG works in terms of rounding off the doubloon numbers, rather than rounding off any real monetary unit.

• Cool 1