You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

A ship I could not tame, a ship I could not stand...

28 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles

No matter what I did, no matter what I tried, I could not do well in the Mahan.

In co-op she was a blast; I had great fun. But in Randoms? Luck was never with me. Either I screwed up or my team screwed up (e.g taking forever to finish off cripples and dying to them because of it), and none of the battles were in any way satisfying unless I put heaps of flags on and got lucky with a first-win bonus. 

Because of this, Mahan is (and hopefully will remain) the only ship I ever free-XP'd a significant proportion of (about 30%) because I just couldn't stand to be in her any more (as opposed to other reasons). She was headed out the door as soon as I got the Benson anyway; I wasn't going to spend on a permacamo for the long term just to play her in co-op.

Not that this guarantees the Benson will be any better, but since the Benson is probably going to represent the end of my US destroyer grind - I have no interest in going any higher - getting it over and done with is probably for the best.

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In co-op she was a blast; I had great fun. But in Randoms? Luck was never with me. Either I screwed up or my team screwed up (e.g taking forever to finish off cripples and dying to them because of it), and none of the battles were in any way satisfying unless I put heaps of flags on and got lucky with a first-win bonus. 

Because of this, Mahan is (and hopefully will remain) the only ship I ever free-XP'd a significant proportion of (about 30%) because I just couldn't stand to be in her any more (as opposed to other reasons). She was headed out the door as soon as I got the Benson anyway; I wasn't going to spend on a permacamo for the long term just to play her in co-op.

Not that this guarantees the Benson will be any better, but since the Benson is probably going to represent the end of my US destroyer grind - I have no interest in going any higher - getting it over and done with is probably for the best.

Why don't you want to go past Benson? Fletcher and Gearing are great.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
5,191 posts
11,795 battles

Yeah, the US DD line really gets fun with Benson and Fletcher.  I kept them both after advancing past them.

Benson was the most fun I had with a US DD since Clemson.

[TBOW]
Members
1,840 posts
12,498 battles

I think Fletcher is the Gem of the USN DD line.  Mahan was a touch one for me, but it was worth it.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Why don't you want to go past Benson? Fletcher and Gearing are great.

Service costs, mostly, and a history of not doing well in the high-tier meta. If I want to have a play there's always the PTS, where we have so much silver and gold that you can have a bad (or reckless YOLO) co-op game at Tier 10 and not have to care. Lower tiers are more fun, and I need that for at least a few months before I get back to anything hardcore. This year has been productive, but draining and it's driving me hard into the arms of PvE.

Maybe one day when I've stopped grinding lines and I have more silver than God, I might reconsider. :Smile_teethhappy:

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles

Dunno, I played Mahan before the buffs and still had alot of fun. It's just she suffers in high tiers due to the large detection range differences. 

As for continuing the grind, Fletcher is an excellent bote as everyone says and possibly the best "generalist" ship in the game.

Edited by warheart1992

[RED]
[RED]
Members
195 posts
10,742 battles
12 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

I think Fletcher is the Gem of the USN DD line.  Mahan was a touch one for me, but it was worth it.

I have not played Fletcher yet but, I can’t help but get the feeling that after playing Chung Mu, Fletcher seems like it would be a big disappointment if for no other reason than the deep water torps detection is so good, perma smoke or radar.

[YORHA]
Members
4,201 posts
7,376 battles

My favourite Benson memory was during a ranked season.  One game there was a particularly toxic player on our team who objected loudly to my play style.  I put up with it but he was spamming insults so often that his name stuck with me.

In the next game low and behold he is on the opposite team.  I hunted him down and used the Benson's awesome guns, smoke and reload to drive him bonkers... to the point where he Notsered into an island.  Then I just poured it on until he was a flaming wreck. As he sank I typed in chat "Remember me?" and sailed away to victory.

I don't play her much anymore, but I still have fond memories.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

I agree with you. I played Mahan just after WG buffed the Torpedo range to US DDs (geez, that was like 2 years ago!) and didn’t like her. I basically survived by stealth torping and not having to face so much competition. She has been buffed recently which I’m sure helps, but she gets outgunned by higher tiered US DDs. 

I think you’ll like Benson. She’s considerably stealthier and has harder hitting torps. Her guns are a great improvement with noticeably better reload and turret traverse. I still keep Benson even though I play Fletcher and Gearing almost exclusively now in the US DD line.

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Mahan is great in the Dynamo operation. For anyone else who is having a hard time in PvP with Farragut or Mahan, play them in Dynamo to grind them. With flads and camo you can get 9-15k XP every run.

• Cool 1

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,798 battles

I dont mean to be a jerk here but you need to do well in a tier 9 and tier 10 battle to make a profit and also premium account.

I dont have enough doubloons to buy all premium camos for my tier X ships (have 7 tier 10 ships) and im waiting to buy the space camos if they come on sale. Yet i make profits in credits even without premium camo.

But generally,all tier 9 and tier 10 ships are awesome, love the fletch and gearing, and you need to be consistently earning high XP to get a profit in high tier battles. If you dont do much in the battle then you will obviously face a loss in credits which is WG's way of weeding out potatoes from high tier battles.

Edited by lungiwear

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

Funny enough, I think Mahan is statistically one of my best ships. I played her after the buff, I think so 9.2km torps? She has huge detection so doesn't do very well up-tiered but you run around with your BB's and CA's screen for enemy DD's, then when you wind one you pounce. Alternatively you pop smoke and start raining torps and HE down on people. I agree with the others, whereas most lines have a T9 road block, the fletcher is probably one of the best T9 ships in the game.

[SRBL]
Members
245 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I actually liked that ship and did fairly well with it, the Benson is even more fun and I'm looking forward to the next two. How would you describe your play style in the Mahan?

Only ship I considered using FXP on is the Buffalo but when I just checked my stats for it I'm at a 48% win rate which is not nearly as terrible as I thought it was going to be, obviously not great, but my game play perception was that it was in the 30's so kudos to my teams for winning despite me playing. 

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Mahan is great in the Dynamo operation. 

The anti-air portion really requires the C hull, though, doesn't it? I was so desperate to get out of this ship I didn't even grind the upgraded gun fire control system. She went out the door, and I'm not interested in buying her back.

3 minutes ago, lungiwear said:

I dont mean to be a jerk here but you need to do well in a tier 9 and tier 10 battle to make a profit and also premium account.

Oh, don't worry; I'm with you on this one. This is a BIG reason why I'm stopping at Tier 8 in many lines and even lower in some others. Plus I just got the Musashi (which even brings profit in co-op if you play aggressively and sink a couple of ships), so I see no reason to grind Japanese BB's at all for the foreseeable future; between her and Ishizuchi, I'm set.

1 minute ago, Kevs02Accord said:

you run around with your BB's and CA's screen for enemy DD's, then when you wind one you pounce

I had a game last night in which I smoked my flank up and went out to spot for them. I blew up a DD and chunked down a Fiji before it killed me; the two cruisers on my side then promptly died to it because they couldn't shoot worth a damn. I also had another (co-op) game in which I smoked the centre up... only for all my colleagues to leave me hanging and go out to BOTH peripheries. One of them barely got back in time to prevent the bots from taking our cap.

I am done with relying on teammates.

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Yeah, the US DD line really gets fun with Benson and Fletcher.  I kept them both after advancing past them.

Benson was the most fun I had with a US DD since Clemson.

Yeah, you're really missing out if not getting to experience Fletcher or Gearing.  But I get it, the high tier meta isn't for everyone.  Just feels like you're cheating yourself a bit by getting all the way up through Mahan and not get the reward at the end.

32 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

My favourite Benson memory was during a ranked season.  One game there was a particularly toxic player on our team who objected loudly to my play style.  I put up with it but he was spamming insults so often that his name stuck with me.

For anyone who's been around long enough to remember the Season of Bensons.

1 hour ago, custer_14 said:

I have not played Fletcher yet but, I can’t help but get the feeling that after playing Chung Mu, Fletcher seems like it would be a big disappointment if for no other reason than the deep water torps detection is so good, perma smoke or radar.

If you like Chung Mu, you'll like Fletcher.  No reason not to, as the gameplay doesn't change much between the two.

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The anti-air portion really requires the C hull, though, doesn't it? I was so desperate to get out of this ship I didn't even grind the upgraded gun fire control system. She went out the door, and I'm not interested in buying her back.

Oh, don't worry; I'm with you on this one. This is a BIG reason why I'm stopping at Tier 8 in many lines and even lower in some others. Plus I just got the Musashi (which even brings profit in co-op if you play aggressively and sink a couple of ships), so I see no reason to grind Japanese BB's at all for the foreseeable future; between her and Ishizuchi, I'm set.

I had a game last night in which I smoked my flank up and went out to spot for them. I blew up a DD and chunked down a Fiji before it killed me; the two cruisers on my side then promptly died to it because they couldn't shoot worth a damn. I also had another (co-op) game in which I smoked the centre up... only for all my colleagues to leave me hanging and go out to BOTH peripheries. One of them barely got back in time to prevent the bots from taking our cap.

I am done with relying on teammates.

Yeah, the C hull on the Mahan let's you swap the speed boost for DFAA. It also swaps one 127mm for more 40mm guns for AA.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Just feels like you're cheating yourself a bit by getting all the way up through Mahan and not get the reward at the end.

I see what you're getting at, but I don't agree because I don't automatically see getting the T10 ship in a particular line as a reward in itself. I also don't want the grind to become an end in itself rather than a means to an end, and right now my particular ends are well served by stopping at Tier 8 in most lines.

[RED]
[RED]
Members
195 posts
10,742 battles
43 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If you like Chung Mu, you'll like Fletcher.  No reason not to, as the gameplay doesn't change much between the two.

What would you say is different/ superior in Fletcher compared to Chung Mu?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,714 posts
11,758 battles

I didn't like Mahan when I played her, though it was a long time ago, long before the recent concealment buff and while Concealment Expert was a 5-point skill needing 15 or even 16 with SA to really use. That meant you had a decent chance of only reaching it at T8, where the competition would also have Concealment Module.

Painful.

My impression of Mahan is still of a fairly poor ship, let down by concealment in a T7 now filling up with decently stealthy ships - Z-39, Gadjah, Haida, Shiratsuyu. T7 destroyers are rather sandwiched between smaller and thus stealthier T6's and concealment module equipping T8's.

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
24 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

What would you say is different/ superior in Fletcher compared to Chung Mu?

Other than the torps, nothing really.  It just may change your playstyle a bit with the standard torps versus deepwater, in that the latter is ineffective when knife fighting against other DDs.  But if you really enjoyed Chung Mu, you will like Fletcher.

50 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I see what you're getting at, but I don't agree because I don't automatically see getting the T10 ship in a particular line as a reward in itself. I also don't want the grind to become an end in itself rather than a means to an end, and right now my particular ends are well served by stopping at Tier 8 in most lines.

I can understand wanting to stop at T7 because it's rather protected, but making the jump to T8 makes you already exposed to a good portion of T10 matches anyway, so why not have the best tool available versus being bottom-tiered all the time?

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

why not have the best tool available versus being bottom-tiered all the time?

1) Post-battle costs.

2) My experience with T8 matchmaking in this patch has been EXTREMELY positive. In the T9 and T10 matches I've been in, T8's have composed a goodly proportion of the ships present. Things appear to have improved. I'm prepared to bet on that. (T6, however, has been a different experience. Lots of bottom-tier games against T8.)

3) Unless something changes radically with Ranked battles, I finished at a Rank, and with stars, at which Tier 8 will be my go-to for quite a few battles the next time around. My likely first T10 ship is going to be Salem, and while she has her own peculiarities and weaknesses, she's affordable to run if you're not coughing up for flags and premium time. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,429 posts
11,775 battles

The trick to using Mahan is to not be caught alone. Yeah she has bad detection but it's usually possible to mitigate that. She was my first T7 DD and I learned to shadow a friendly DD with better stealth. One of us would get detected and the red DD found out quickly he was badly outgunned. Considering I was still a total noob DD player but was able to leverage a decent w/r, I'd say it was effective. As I've gotten better the tactic has served me well in other DDs.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
1 minute ago, Ares1967 said:

The trick to using Mahan is to not be caught alone.

I found last night that even being with allies is no guarantee of survival, even when you smoke them up so they can shoot with impunity.

[INTEL]
Members
1,429 posts
11,775 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I found last night that even being with allies is no guarantee of survival, even when you smoke them up so they can shoot with impunity.

Those situations happen in every ship and teir. Last night in Asashio B I had to take on a Grozovoi in the craziest gun duel I've ever experienced. Primarily due to a team I think was playing by braille. 

The Groz was very good but I was able to leverage my stealth and a storm to get him for over 23k damage. I only.lost a couple of k in the exchange.

[-AGW-]
Members
819 posts
11,448 battles

I think it's not so much the ship as the competition it faces due to MM. I did alright with Mahan, but it was always a struggle against T8s and T9s. Farragut on the other hand was much better even against T8s and without being able to stealth-torp. Benson so far is a struggle.

Edited by NashW8