Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TypicalEngineer

Tirpitz, main battery or secondaries

13 comments in this topic

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

So I got a Tirptiz B from a black friday crate and I'm wondering what the best way would be to run her in the current meta. I use my Sharnhorst captain on her with PM, AR, vigilance, CE and AFT.

Still not decided wheter i should go secondaries on this ship. With all the uptiering an increase main gun accuracy seems nice.

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles

why CE ? The ship is a brawler and even if you fire your guns, she will be spotted.

IMO you have to go full secondary spec on the Tirpitz. Your guns are not that good from long range and at med range your Meh at best.

Being up tiered is not every game. Brawlers dont need the range.

I dont recommend vigilance but if you need it then oh well.

I would lean more on secondary sec with survivability skills are your best beat.

Have fun

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
9,015 posts
10,828 battles
1 hour ago, TypicalEngineer said:

So I got a Tirptiz B from a black friday crate and I'm wondering what the best way would be to run her in the current meta. I use my Sharnhorst captain on her with PM, AR, vigilance, CE and AFT.

Still not decided wheter i should go secondaries on this ship. With all the uptiering an increase main gun accuracy seems nice.

Full Secondary gun build is the way to go, same as Bismarck! :Smile_smile:

PM, EM, BFT, AFT, SI, Manual Secondaries, and either AR or HA. I took HA since fires are something you often face, but AR will increase rate of fire on your guns.

Upgrades are Main Armaments Mod, Maintenance, Secondary Mod, Steering Gears Mod, And Concealment Mod.

Also take Catapult Fighter instead of Spotter plane.

Signal flags at minimum you need Secondary gun signal flag mounted, beyond that mount what ever signal flags you think you need.

When sailing around hold fire until you get detected, if you are close enough to be detected odds are you will dish put some accurate shots at that range, plus you will quickly be able to get into your Secondary gun range soon after as well, and if luck you can even get within Torpedo range. German BBs tend to not do as well in long range fights, but mid range or close range is where they really are amazing. Even can brawl it out 1 on 1 with a tier 10 Battleship if you choose when and where to ensure the enemy Battleship will not receive aid from their team.

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

I got CE because it gets me a 12 ish km detection, which is pretty nice to have when you need to get close.

Vigilance is there because I don't have Hydro on the Tirpitz and the Sharnhorst.

So, secondaries are the way to go? And what to do when uptiered?

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles
6 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

And what to do when uptiered?

Why does it matter? you can;t change builds beforehand. You dont know how many times you will face up tiered matches. IF you're going to change tactics out of an invisible fear of "uptiered". Then  that is your psychological obstacle to over come.

You have a spotter plan which help with spotting torps planes and ships. 

11 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

I got CE because it gets me a 12 ish km detection, which is pretty nice to have when you need to get close. 

For this I say the Tirpitz is not a cruiser, it has armor it can take hits. HOWEVER, if you dont know how to angle to avoid shells then yes any brawler BB will cause you problems.

With I play the BIsmarck, Its half speed ahead and shoot at broadsides. Its not a stand alone BB, you need support or any other competent tactic supporting you in order to be good.

Secondaries on a Bis is more psychological affect. The tirp on the other hand can do DMG.

I hope you go full Secondaries build. IF not I wish you well in any choice build you end up running with

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

I think CE is viable for any ship. For now I'll run with the secondaries.

I know how to angle so that should be fine. I was more wandering about tactivs when uptiered.

Members
919 posts
9,545 battles

The guns are so bad that aiming mod barely helps - hitting targets in the sweet spot is a full crap shoot.  If the captain stays the same, I just alter the ship build based on mood - this goes for GK as well.  It sounds like you're missing out of the fun part of premium ships which is having drastically different captains available.  I have 4 or 5 19-point Germans that really allow you to alter a ship like Tirpitz.  To me, that's a strong reason for premiums. 

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
910 posts
7,233 battles

Survivability/main battery. Your strength is your armor/fast reload, the longer you're alive the better. Full secondary builds are basically a joke with all the HE spam. I've given up on all secondary builds and have been doing much better overall. Can I do well with secondaries? Sure, but not every battle; your main batteries ARE useful in EVERY battle. AA/secondary mounts get shredded especially since protecting your torp tubes are a priority, otherwise you should just play Bismarck... The improved accuracy definitely helps. Stay alive until the late game. Tank. Once the threats diminish you can bully other ships with ease. 

Been really enjoying this build with Kurfurst which also goes on my Tirpitz: 

image.thumb.png.b19151f02fa3c60981945c805181ed60.png

Basically the only way I die anymore is if I make a serious over extension or my team evaporates around me. Stay with the fleet for AA (true for everything really, especially German BBs) and manage your consumables well and your German BBs are all but an immovable fort. The secondaries still do serious work once the distances close anyway.

Edited by HeathenForay

[UN1]
Members
586 posts
2,138 battles
On 12/20/2018 at 4:02 PM, HeathenForay said:

Survivability/main battery. Your strength is your armor/fast reload, the longer you're alive the better. Full secondary builds are basically a joke with all the HE spam. I've given up on all secondary builds and have been doing much better overall. Can I do well with secondaries? Sure, but not every battle; your main batteries ARE useful in EVERY battle. AA/secondary mounts get shredded especially since protecting your torp tubes are a priority, otherwise you should just play Bismarck... The improved accuracy definitely helps. Stay alive until the late game. Tank. Once the threats diminish you can bully other ships with ease. 

Been really enjoying this build with Kurfurst which also goes on my Tirpitz: 

image.thumb.png.b19151f02fa3c60981945c805181ed60.png

Basically the only way I die anymore is if I make a serious over extension or my team evaporates around me. Stay with the fleet for AA (true for everything really, especially German BBs) and manage your consumables well and your German BBs are all but an immovable fort. The secondaries still do serious work once the distances close anyway.

I know survivability builds are always useful and strong, but meh, so boring.  To me, if you're going to play that build with a Tirpitz/Kurfurst, you might as well play an American or Japanese ship.

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,413 battles

I've got shade over 400 games in the Tirpitz & Bismarck, and this is the build that's worked well for me throughout that period. 

bis.png.c434bf518760abceea7318489239c0f8.png

It maximizes your Secondaries, which are the heart and soul of the ship, while giving you a good boost to survivability. Adrenalin Rush benefits secondaries and main battery, and your pitiful AA gets a boost as well with BFT and AFT. Your concealment sucks, but with fast firing guns and your 11.1 Secondary range, you shouldn't be at max range anyway. 

Its so unfortunate how badly the Tirpitz and Bismarck have been power crept, but when MM cooperates, they are still very strong and very dangerous. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,276 posts
18,607 battles

If you want a Main Battery Build Battleship, you should have been playing any other BB Line.  IJN and Tier IX-X USN BBs come very quickly to mind as excellent examples.

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

I know that the Germans are brawlers. For now I use my sharnhorst captain with the secondary module. With AFT and CE my secondaries allmost match my concealment, which is very nice indeed.

Sign in to follow this