You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

Perhaps paying for steel campaign is better value than santa crates after all...

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
915 posts
3,556 battles

I don't know if my last years haul was in any way indictive of the average of santa crate drops which included a premium ship every 5 'big/$3' crate bundle (I recall it being 5). Scharn, Gallant, Nikolai, Okhotnik, Mutsu and Kami from 6 bundles and there was 90 days prem in the 7th. Ship or premium time from at least 1 of the 5. Dubloons, signals and camos made up the rest. What people are reporting this year seems woeful by comparison. If ships are what people truly want (seems many want something from the forbidden OP list) perhaps the assured acquisition of steel from the pay to play campaign would be better value as the arsenal is where many of the truly coveted ships now reside. Just want to thank all those who did post their crate results to give the rest of us a heads up to the seeming current value featured this year. 

Edited by Sumwunskum

[SYN]
Members
3,457 posts
17,121 battles

It's a value proposition, I certainly don't need camo/credits/flags but enjoy having a tipple. Even though I don't really need any of the free ships on offer.

Steel is a straight out deal, you get X by paying Y.     Good if it fits your budget and want a particular ship in the arsenal with no chance involved.

[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,251 battles
2 minutes ago, galspanic said:

I have no idea what you are talking about... hint please :)

You can buy a campaign to earn steel in the next patch. Pay and buy steel :)

• Cool 1

[ARC]
Members
578 posts
8,097 battles

I would suggest you to just wait until you know the price of the Steel campaign. In the case of the Santa crates, some are suggesting the drop rate of ships is a little lower this year, and I agree.

The year before was something like once in each 6 crates. Right now (with very low statistical data) it is once in each 9 crates. Some can get better results, others just will never get any ship for the love of it.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
915 posts
3,556 battles
5 minutes ago, hanesco said:

I would suggest you to just wait until you know the price of the Steel campaign. In the case of the Santa crates, some are suggesting the drop rate of ships is a little lower this year, and I agree.

The year before was something like once in each 6 crates. Right now (with very low statistical data) it is once in each 9 crates. Some can get better results, others just will never get any ship for the love of it.

Yeah certainly does seem lower. Clearly worse value too than last year due to no possibility of premium time.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,255 posts
8,702 battles

Crates were far better for me this year than they were last year. I doubt they'll ever be as good as they were in 2016 again, though.

I'm of mixed emotions about paying for campaigns to earn steel, to be used on end game content. However, I doubt there will be enough steel in the campaign for someone who has, say, less than 5k steel to actually get any of the available ships.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,677 posts
20,680 battles
2 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I doubt they'll ever be as good as they were in 2016 again, though.

Wasn't that just the best deal ever? I mean you only have to go back into the forums and see the excitement of it all. IIRC only Blasto had a difficult time of it.... 

3 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I'm of mixed emotions about paying for campaigns to earn steel, to be used on end game content. However, I doubt there will be enough steel in the campaign for someone who has, say, less than 5k steel to actually get any of the available ships.

I am pretty happy with the idea of the steel and coal missions. Pretty much doubt that it will be a huge amount of steel honestly, but enough to whet the appetite of the casual player like me to go into the more competitive modes and earn enough to get the ships. Right now I only get steel from Ranked play, not into Clan Battles. At the rate I am getting steel in Ranked, it will take me 7 more years to buy the cheapest steel ship..... If the steel mission cuts a few years off of that then what is there to complain about? The missions are really a win for everyone except maybe for the super elite players who can pretty much get what they want now. For competitive players, the extra steel will help. For casual players, getting some steel will either motivate them to get more or will allow them to convert what they get into coal and get something else. Since Wargaming is going to sell the mission, they win as well. Really don't see the harm in it. 

• Cool 3

[CRMSN]
Members
8,255 posts
8,702 battles
9 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Wasn't that just the best deal ever? I mean you only have to go back into the forums and see the excitement of it all. IIRC only Blasto had a difficult time of it.... 

I am pretty happy with the idea of the steel and coal missions. Pretty much doubt that it will be a huge amount of steel honestly, but enough to whet the appetite of the casual player like me to go into the more competitive modes and earn enough to get the ships. Right now I only get steel from Ranked play, not into Clan Battles. At the rate I am getting steel in Ranked, it will take me 7 more years to buy the cheapest steel ship..... If the steel mission cuts a few years off of that then what is there to complain about? The missions are really a win for everyone except maybe for the super elite players who can pretty much get what they want now. For competitive players, the extra steel will help. For casual players, getting some steel will either motivate them to get more or will allow them to convert what they get into coal and get something else. Since Wargaming is going to sell the mission, they win as well. Really don't see the harm in it. 

It isn't that I see "harm", per se, it's that I'm not too sold on paying for the steel, for end game content. If the campaign were free, I'd be 100% fine with it.

Members
1,928 posts
8,329 battles
9 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

One has to wonder if the drop rate of prizes is effected by the number of people opening boxes at any one instance. That's how it works in other games. 

[ARC]
Members
578 posts
8,097 battles
35 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

One has to wonder if the drop rate of prizes is effected by the number of people opening boxes at any one instance. That's how it works in other games. 

I truly don't know. But I think it is not that malicious, as the prize you get is decided the moment the crate is in the transport ship (assigned to you). It will do nothing to accumulate them for a better chance at getting ships.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,278 posts
14,884 battles
17 hours ago, Sumwunskum said:

I don't know if my last years haul was in any way indictive of the average of santa crate drops which included a premium ship every 5 'big/$3' crate bundle (I recall it being 5). Scharn, Gallant, Nikolai, Okhotnik, Mutsu and Kami from 6 bundles and there was 90 days prem in the 7th. Ship or premium time from at least 1 of the 5. Dubloons, signals and camos made up the rest. What people are reporting this year seems woeful by comparison. If ships are what people truly want (seems many want something from the forbidden OP list) perhaps the assured acquisition of steel from the pay to play campaign would be better value as the arsenal is where many of the truly coveted ships now reside. Just want to thank all those who did post their crate results to give the rest of us a heads up to the seeming current value featured this year. 

NOW you tell me? lol …  TBH, we all kind of knew this was the direction things were going especially with crates and WG putting the squeeze on our wallets

Nobody knows about steel, but methinks it's going to cost MONEY vs time :(