You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nukelavee45

No CV sniping...

94 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,594 posts
10,030 battles

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I've been unaware of opposing CV's ignoring each other as actual targets,  but this morning I was in a match where it was blatant enough it got me thinking about it.

I've always thought that sort of thing was a bit sketchy, but  having 4 CV players cross chat and agree to leave each others ships alone so they can concentrate on the other ships safely left me a bit disgusted.  A bit.  Like, not enough to bother down-voting.

So, here's my question -  In your opinion, do you think the anti-snipe agreements actually have a noticeable effect on game play for the rest of the team(s)? 

Note : The CV players did make clear to each other that enemy planes were open targets for each other, just not their actual ships.   I imagine there are matches where even planes are ignored, but I've honestly never noticed that happening by an open agreement.

[PVE]
Members
751 posts
5,916 battles

In general, I find deals like that to be dishonest and unsporting. However, most of the time I see a CV driver try a CV snipe they fail and end up giving their opposing team a free pass for a few minutes. Sometimes these attempts hurt their team because, in addition to wasting time, they lose a lot of planes as well.

Members
5,393 posts
3,213 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Iirc, that kind of collusion is against the game rules and could get punished. 

You have to be able to prove that they actually colluded to ignore each other.

[FML]
Members
2,607 posts
12,342 battles
Just now, goldeagle1123 said:

Well, OP said that across chat they agreed to not target each other’s ships. I imagine that would constitute proof. 

[FML]
Members
2,607 posts
12,342 battles
6 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

In general, I find deals like that to be dishonest and unsporting. However, most of the time I see a CV driver try a CV snipe they fail and end up giving their opposing team a free pass for a few minutes. Sometimes these attempts hurt their team because, in addition to wasting time, they lose a lot of planes as well.

Agreed - CVs striking higher priority targets and not the other CV is fine - agreeing not to snipe is not fine. 

• Cool 1

Members
5,393 posts
3,213 battles
1 minute ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Well, OP said that across chat they agreed to not target each other’s ships. I imagine that would constitute proof. 

Oh yeah, he put that in the last line. Figured if people were explicitly making truces in all chat he would mention it before then. Just report/make ticket and then move on OP.

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,106 battles

After about T8 when CV's get Defensive AA it seems CV Sniping goes away in general for the most part...1 game in 10 you're in a situation it might actually be worthwhile. This may be a case of higher tiers dropping down to lower tiers and superimposing the same rules down there? Not agreeing with it, just wondering.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,513 posts
7,510 battles

Send the replay and screenshots to Support. It's important that a truce was formed in chat, so it must be 100% clear from the chat that they would not attack each other in at least one way. This kind of behaviour is a punishable offense.

[WOLF6]
Members
915 posts
3,556 battles

I've never seen an agreement cross chat btw two CVs to not target each other. People here are right that it's against terms and conditions regarding fair play. If a CV player is decent sniping against them simply doesn't work as they will mitigate the damage while striking red ships closer to the battle which then eat follow up fires/floods etc. Most CVs just don't have the alpha and aircraft health to make it through and deliver the full load. Tier 8+ also get DFAA which makes it even more difficult. In short it is a losing tactic so honestly it doesn't make a lot of difference if they even did agree as attempting it is usually folly anyway. Even if they sneak around the map border it's just time wasted while the other CV has delivered two strikes on more crucial targets even before they get hit. With the rework it's going to be even more impractical.

Edited by Sumwunskum

[SBS]
Members
4,168 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, SireneRacker said:

Send the replay and screenshots to Support. It's important that a truce was formed in chat, so it must be 100% clear from the chat that they would not attack each other in at least one way. This kind of behaviour is a punishable offense.

Has WG explicitly stated that.  I don't see anything wrong with a no snipping agreement because it doesn't mean they are agreeing to compromise their team's chances of winning.  Besides, those agreements are not to snip, not that give a free pass.  They still agree to attack each other's planes and to sink each other later in the match. 

• Boring 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles

Going to be the odd ball out here, but I wouldn't have issues with that. Cv sniping is a huge gamble and if it fails the team will pay for it later. I also don't see it as cheating as having 1 team without a CV is far worse than with one.(this includes  carriers whose captain isn't(as) skilled as the opponent)

this isn't the only truce in WG games btw,

in WOWP many GAFs (ground attack fighters) who were close to getting "ground pounder" would make a deal with enemy fighters to allow them to get the medal in exchange for being shot down.  there were also "duels" where it was a 1v1 fighter match and any plane that intterupted it would be attacked/ chased off by both duelists! freindly fire be damned!:Smile_veryhappy:

and in WOT before chat was restricted, arty would also have no-counter battery pacts.:fish_book:

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

People don't CV snipe because it is extremely time consuming and generally not effective. At higher levels you're wasting planes as well.

That time could be spent on better targets and making q difference.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,958 posts
16,025 battles

I play CVs in co op only and don't bother sniping the bot CV since 7 other targets present themselves so easily. I do however try to get as many of their planes as quickly as possible.

• Cool 1

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,765 posts
3,071 battles
1 minute ago, Madwolf05 said:

People don't CV snipe because it is extremely time consuming and generally not effective. At higher levels you're wasting planes as well.

And I wish more people knew that. Because I still see it going on from time to time. In addition, all that focus on the enemy CV diverts attention from the situation at hand. It effectively makes the CV a non factor as the CV isn’t there to support their team. Unless they actually succeed due to sheer luck or skill difference. Even when it “succeeds”, it isn’t close to being an assured victory. It doesn’t matter if the enemy CV is sunk when the rest of the enemy team is knocking at your doorstep. You lose. Albeit, if it is done successfully early in the game, then it is viable. But you would need to be skilled at using CVs. 

Simply, there is too much risk for something that may help. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,924 posts
9,077 battles
16 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

XIjVg5W.gif

took the words right out of my mouth, its not effective 9 times out of 10, and it leaves your team without all the spotting you could have been doing with your squadrons, so i dont think the players that the OP is referring to have done anything wrong, theyre merely stating they wont go after the CV first thing, right off the bat, because they know that their planes are needed elsewhere at the beginning of the match instead of riding the border to find the enemy carrier

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Members
8,252 posts
8,702 battles

I focus on planes and ships that can actually shoot, then spot and got after the CV when things are in my teams favor. Going for a CV snipe is, to me, counter productive, because to effectively pull one off, so many things have to work in your favor, and it generally takes your entire air wing, leaving your team without needed eyeballs in the sky.

The vast majority of CV snipe attempts I see fail.

All that said, agreeing to not attack each other is, in effect, cheating, and it's very much against the ToS.

[SBS]
Members
4,168 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, Madwolf05 said:

This is in part why some people agree not to snipe, because its a waste of everyone's time. 

[REALY]
Members
152 posts
1,728 battles
22 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I play CVs in co op only and don't bother sniping the bot CV since 7 other targets present themselves so easily. I do however try to get as many of their planes as quickly as possible.

This. When I take my CV into battle (I'm almost exclusively Co-op) I don't try for the enemy CV until the rest of the bots are gone. The planes, however, are another story. The faster they die, the more I can focus on the bot tin cans.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,279 posts
18,607 battles

Grab the replay and submit the ticket.  This is a big no-no.

It's one thing if a CV doesn't attack a CV because it can be very wasteful in time and aircraft especially in High Tiers.  High Tier CVs all have Defensive Fire.  But a CV truce is a big fat "No."

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,513 posts
7,510 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

Has WG explicitly stated that.  I don't see anything wrong with a no snipping agreement because it doesn't mean they are agreeing to compromise their team's chances of winning.  Besides, those agreements are not to snip, not that give a free pass.  They still agree to attack each other's planes and to sink each other later in the match. 

Yep.

"Any agreement of this type is considered a violation of this rule."

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,935 posts
21,039 battles
1 hour ago, goldeagle1123 said:

If they talked about doing it in chat, and then the replay confirms that they actually did follow through on that agreement, that's all the proof you'd need.

This came up a year or two ago when CV players were openly colluding to not snipe each other in random battles.  And WG came out and firmly said that such collusion was against the rules and would be punished.

[SALVO]
Members
20,935 posts
21,039 battles
49 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

This is in part why some people agree not to snipe, because its a waste of everyone's time. 

No, that's a reason not to snipe as a personal decision.  It's NOT a reason to openly collude with the enemy CV player to not snipe each other, which is a violation of WG's rules.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,641 posts
19,797 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Iirc, that kind of collusion is against the game rules and could get punished. 

Had that happen in a TST; they wanted to apparently just learn the controls?

This was at a time when I was hacked off beyond belief about the rework; and so as an Isokaze ignored the request and went out of my way to sink both Red CVS.