Sign in to follow this  
tinfoilpaperweight

Brit bb shooting HE to the broadside

11 comments in this topic

[SF-A]
Members
3,046 posts
6,475 battles

They likely had it loaded, and a target presented itself. Most BBs would rather take the shot with non-ideal ammo than wait. Besides, on some thinly armored ships, UK HE can do citadel damage anyways, and depending on circumstances, 20k in flat AP might be less useful than 12k, 3 fires, 2 turrets, a torpedo tube, 15 AA mounts, and steering out. Paralyzing someone to set them up can be fun.

[90THD]
Supertester
1,228 posts
6,891 battles

I've been seeing more HE used than anything by all class of ship.  HE is the new troll.  I've seen BBs from all tiers up to and including 10 that use nothing but HE to just burn everything

Members
842 posts
3,790 battles

Often in my French battleships, I don't have the luxury of waiting for to switch shells like I would in a cruiser. Sometimes if I was about to fire at a DD and it escapes, or if I was targetting a bow-on BB and it turns broadside, I tend to just shoot the HE volley anyways and then switch to AP

• Cool 2

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
39 minutes ago, Ghost_Raven75 said:

I've been seeing more HE used than anything by all class of ship.  HE is the new troll.  I've seen BBs from all tiers up to and including 10 that use nothing but HE to just burn everything

Me to.  HE much of the time and seeing much less AP than I used to. AP seems to be a bit to precise a load for many to use effectively.  I dunno...just seems that way. This is not scientific.  Just an observation that seems true. Me?  I play mostly cruisers and I shoot the hell outta HE cause I just seem to do more with it much of the time.  Seem to!

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
751 posts
5,918 battles
42 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

They likely had it loaded, and a target presented itself. Most BBs would rather take the shot with non-ideal ammo than wait.

This, some damage is better than none. Also, without expert loader, if you simply fire what you have and switch you can get 2 salvos out in the same time it would take to switch ammo and fire.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,121 posts

When the mission says XXX hits with main armament....  

OK...  My Atlanta will now fire 200 AP rounds into a single damage saturated DD...  

Woo  Hoo !!   Got me another Guinea !!!

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
5,521 posts
5,704 battles

Shooting HE with RNBB at a broadside BB isn't a bad idea since you can set fires across the ship more effectively / easily. Shooting AP isn't a bad thing either if you want to deal more permanent damage

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Members
8,255 posts
8,702 battles
8 minutes ago, Personator said:

Shooting HE with RNBB at a broadside BB isn't a bad idea since you can set fires across the ship more effectively / easily. Shooting AP isn't a bad thing either if you want to deal more permanent damage

Ding! This.

RN BB's are HE first and foremost, AP for opportunistic moments.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,303 posts
18,624 battles

While I do prefer to plant AP into those that deserve them with my Battleships, there's also the fact that a number of RN BBs have rather lackluster AP shells, especially if one tries to use them the same way they would a "normal" Battleship AP salvo.

Even Conqueror's 419mm AP can be a lot of fail outside very specific circumstances.

Either way, if you plant RN BB HE salvo into someone's sides, going by what people think about eating RN BB HE, do take solace in knowing that they absolutely hated that.  Salt is after all, a very good ingredient.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
8,709 posts
15,541 battles
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, pewpewpew42 said:

They likely had it loaded, and a target presented itself. Most BBs would rather take the shot with non-ideal ammo than wait. Besides, on some thinly armored ships, UK HE can do citadel damage anyways, and depending on circumstances, 20k in flat AP might be less useful than 12k, 3 fires, 2 turrets, a torpedo tube, 15 AA mounts, and steering out. Paralyzing someone to set them up can be fun.

It never ceases to amaze me the raw damage Conqueror HE can do. I have literally dev struck BRN, RU, and US CL's w/ multiple citadels use the HE.  Just the other day I sent a 100% health Neptune to the bottom with 1 HE salvo from Conqueror. Granted I play Co-op and the bots show side more than most humans do but it still did it. The game mechanics work the same regardless of mode. I loathe BB's using HE in the game but when playing BRN BB's I at least use it some. It is more than just fire starting. It can actually do good damage.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, Ghost_Raven75 said:

Sadly I see this too. It makes sense to use HE a lot in the BRN BB's (at least some of them) as it is very good and the AP leaves a lot to be desired as a full time/use load but when I see other nation's BB's using nothing but HE I get so aggravated. Especially when they close in for a brawl and shoot HE into the red BB's hull. I mean come on.

Yamato or Musashi shooting HE for instance. WHY??? You can pretty much overmatch anything and the AP is brutal even with a regular pen. I see Montana's using HE all the time and I cringe. I actually asked a guy one game why he was doing that and his answer just made me shake my head - AP is too hard to use. Too hard to use??? Oh boy.

One of the worst things WG ever did to the game was introduce the BRN BB's HE gimmick. It has caused players of all BB lines to think it is the load of choice. It has it's place but most BB's should be using AP as the main load.

It isn't the end of the world in Co-op where I mainly play because it is easier to overcome a bonehead playing like that but man when I do play Random and see it I actually get upset because that person is hurting the team doing that. It is a lazy way of playing that does nothing but build your own personal damage score at the expense of the team's chance of winning.

Again, not saying HE has no use on a BB. I am talking about those who load HE and never swap.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this