You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Is Iowa a straight upgrade from North Carolina?

46 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,249 posts
1,190 battles

I know there's a lot of "meh" at tier IX, I was just wondering if Iowa eschews that trend. On paper she seems to have more going for her. They basically get the same matchmaking, so do the guns, hitpoints, armor, and speed work as advertised?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Members
83 posts
4,216 battles

She's a lot slower to turn. I like the NC, shes a great ship and can decently dodge a wave of torps if you plan for it. Iowa takes a lot longer to make the turn because of how massive she is. She gets the great guns, great AA, great healthpool, but it comes at the cost of the size of the ship and her ability to turn.

[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
3,075 battles

The Iowa can turn a lot faster than Monty. Once you play both, she doesn't seem so sluggish. Although all the bb's in this game are artificially sluggish. Iowa can dodge most torps, and one or two won't sink her. At tier 10 she can participate in battles, but won't pen tier 10 ships reliably. Since you'll probably be shooting from max range, maybe it won't matter. Against angled ships, HE does fine. Iowa's armor seems ineffective against tier 10 guns. It is a fat bb, though, and cruisers will farm damage off you with 3 fires going at all times. I don't play the Iowa because it doesn't do great in tier 10 battles, and I have the Monty. If WG ever fixes mm, I'll play the **** out of Iowa. She's great for knife fighting dd's due to her speed and 9 big guns.

Members
842 posts
3,784 battles

Iowa is not bad at all. The Iowa is a lot faster than the NC and is the fastest stock battleship in the game. There aren't a lot of other tier-for-tier differences between North Carolina and Iowa so they do play similar. Iowa isn't that much of a "mediocre" ship though, it's strong, versatile and can still remain very competitive.

[VW]
Members
2,598 posts
14,625 battles

I like the Miz, but the guns are too small and only hurt broadside targets. This make no sense since the same guns on monty magically do more damage than Miz, so i think its the same vs iowa

[HUNGS]
Members
1,672 posts
3,603 battles

If WG gave NC access to the Tier 9 modules then the NC would be equal to the Iowa. The NC handles better all the way around but has less HP. I do better in T10 matches in my NC than my Iowa but that's more my fault than the ship's fault

[WOLF3]
Members
20,281 posts
18,607 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I know there's a lot of "meh" at tier IX, I was just wondering if Iowa eschews that trend. On paper she seems to have more going for her. They basically get the same matchmaking, so do the guns, hitpoints, armor, and speed work as advertised?

I don't know why you got a bad mark by someone but this is a frequent question.

Iowa is an improvement but there's some things NC still does better.

Iowa has access to Slot 6 Upgrade and thus the USN BB Line-unique item, APRM2 to buff dispersion by 11 f--king %.  Not 7% from Slot 3 ASM1 like all other ship lines, 11% for Tier IX-X USN BBs.  This makes Iowa more accurate.  No USN BB below Tier IX has an option to buff their dispersion (I don't know if Ark.Beta does?).  Not Alabama, not WV41, not Massachusetts, not Arizona, not Colorado, not NY, not NC.  None of them.

The shells on IX-X USN BBs have some float to them, but not as much as the 16"/45 shells.  Couple this with the previous point of slotting APRM2, it's easier to land trick shots at range with IX-X USN BBs than the previous tiers.  As a Cruiser Main, I hate taking gunfire from IX-X USN and VIII-X IJN BBs.  They get too close for comfort, even at range.

The shells on Iowa have significantly stronger AP Penetration to deal with the heavy armor you see in High Tier.

Spoiler

rLE4xNY.png

Iowa has significantly better max speed, 33kts vs Tier VIII USN BB 27kts.  You can go from Point A to Point B significantly faster.

North Carolina is a shorter ship, Iowa is immensely long.  If people catch you from the sides on Iowa, it's pretty dang hard to miss. 

However, both BBs are pretty soft in the sides.

North Carolina maneuvers better.  Iowa is ponderous in a turn.  She's fast, but lazy on turns.  Add the immensely long hull she has, she can eat a lot of damage if caught in a turn.

With both in a Stealth Build, NC is a bit stealthier, 11.8km to Iowa's 12.2km.

============

Some people prefer North Carolina's sailing characteristics over Iowa's firepower, speed advantage.  Some prefer it the other way around.  It all depends on what you prize more.

NC IMO is one of the Tier VIII BBs that can still deal with Tier X matches decently.  However, every now and then MM throws her a bone and be Top Tier against Tier VI-VII ships.  The BBs and Cruisers there all get easily overmatched by NC's 406mm guns.

Iowa's guns are better for the threats in High Tier she faces.  The speed can be used to bail her out of trouble or get to a fight quicker.  If your flank collapsed, you'll be thankful for the 33kt speed while 27kts will leave you concerned.  Most of the time you should expect to see Tier X, but just like Musashi, sometimes you get thrown a bone by MM and chew on Tier VII ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,907 posts
21,785 battles

Iowa is one of the better T9 ships. Only pain is her stock hull, she turns terrible.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

There's not too much real difference honestly. If you stuck North Carolina at Tier 9 with the extra module she might even do better than Iowa.

Members
5,393 posts
3,213 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

NC has the edge in maneuverability and concealment but that's it. Iowa is a great BB. Just very squishy.

Squishy? What? Since she had her citadel lowered she's been nigh invulnerable to taking citadel hits unless you give full broadside at range or simply get overmatched by a Yamato. If you think Iowa is squishy god forbid you ever play Lion, Alsace, or Jean Bart.

[PVE]
Members
8,700 posts
15,521 battles
Just now, goldeagle1123 said:

Squishy? What? Since she had her citadel lowered she's been nigh invulnerable to taking citadel hits unless you give full broadside at range or simply get overmatched by a Yamato. If you think Iowa is squishy god forbid you ever play Lion, Alsace, or Jean Bart.

Well I am to T10 in every BB line so... :Smile_glasses:

You think Lion is squishy? It's got issues but not sure being squishy is one of them. To me squishy means easy to citadel not that a ship takes a lot of pen damage ala KM BB.

Have Alsace and it seems tougher than Iowa.

I love Iowa don't mistake that.  The fact is though you can't angle to every threat all the time and if someone has a shot at your side you are in deep do-do LOL.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,822 posts
9,443 battles

Turns slower and is about 15% bigger in-game, but other than that, Iowa is a good upgrade, especially those faster AP shells. She can brawl alright and with the US BB's slot 6 aiming accuracy, she's a feared opponent. She can AA spec to the point of being a pain to even Midway planes.

Play her at her strengths and Iowa pays well. She's not a NC.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,696 posts
10,034 battles

If NC was tier 9, she'd be a straight upgrade over iowa. North Carolina has an 11.8km stealth and 27km firing range. 

The only clear cut advantage Iowa has over a t8 NC is the artillery plotting room and speed. The penetration on Iowa's guns are slightly greater, but at the expense of range and stealth.

Iowa only gets 23.4km range and (memory serves) 12.2km stealth. Iowa is more side grade than upgrade; upgrade because pf the t9 artillery plotting room and +6kts of speed.

Edited by Crokodone
  • Boring 1

Members
5,393 posts
3,213 battles
17 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Well I am to T10 in every BB line so... :Smile_glasses:

You think Lion is squishy? It's got issues but not sure being squishy is one of them. To me squishy means easy to citadel not that a ship takes a lot of pen damage ala KM BB.

Have Alsace and it seems tougher than Iowa.

I love Iowa don't mistake that.  The fact is though you can't angle to every threat all the time and if someone has a shot at your side you are in deep do-do LOL.

Well frankly what you think doesn't change the numbers. Alsace and Lion (and JB) are much more susceptible to HE damage and fires. Even regarding citadels, Iowa is incredibly hard to citadel unless it's giving full broadside at ~11+km, because said citadel now sits below the waterline.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,884 posts
6,582 battles
2 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Well frankly what you think doesn't change the numbers. Alsace and Lion (and JB) are much more susceptible to HE damage and fires. Even regarding citadels, Iowa is incredibly hard to citadel unless it's giving full broadside at ~11+km, because said citadel now sits below the waterline.

Don't bother.  He only plays Co-op.  None of our experience will be relevant to his.....scenario.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
633 posts
4,295 battles

hated my iowa grind, my issue with her is not her armor or hp or manuverability or anything like that its the fact that in order to use her you have to be within 15km, a range where alot of things can shred her, on top of that, at max range, her guns take like 17 seconds to hit mark making long range skirmishing a nightmare unless someone sails broadside for 20 seconds with 0 course changes

Members
5,393 posts
3,213 battles
16 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

Don't bother.  He only plays Co-op.  None of our experience will be relevant to his.....scenario.

Ah, that makes sense.

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

Iowa is, by far and away, the best T9 tech tree BB, maybe only rivaled by Alsace.

You go full concealment and accuracy and fire damage reduction in them and play them like a sturdier cruiser.

You really want to sneak into the flanks and open up a crossfire against targets that cannot angle against you and another ship.

It has the second best AP penetration of any T9 and is accurate to boot. Also,  the shell flight times are a major improvement over NC

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
8,700 posts
15,521 battles
46 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Squishy is a term in this game used to talk about the side armor of ships and how well they take AP salvos. So basically how easy to citadel if you show side. Iowa is very squishy. Has nothing to do with HE spam and fires.

Also said I love the ship so not sure why you are so upset???

[PVE]
Members
8,700 posts
15,521 battles
46 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

So you think the ships and their guns and armor behave/work different in PVP vs Co-op?

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,700 posts
15,521 battles
30 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Ah, that makes sense.

How? What have I said that is mode dependent? The guns and armor work exactly the same in Co-op. 

I also just don't understand what your issue is with what I have said???

Members
3,371 posts
3,712 battles

I imagine Iowa and Yamato were the first taste of the bow on tank before Dunkerque became a thing. Not sure how well Iowa does it at T-IX though. 

Beta Testers
1,595 posts
8,188 battles
16 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

How? What have I said that is mode dependent? The guns and armor work exactly the same in Co-op. 

I also just don't understand what your issue is with what I have said???

The guns and armor are indeed the same, but random battles and co-op battles play out much more differently.   For example, Iowa in PvP matches is much more tanky than the other T9 BBs.  In randoms people are highly unlikely to ever show broadside, and when they do, the low citadel means the window for enemy players to get a citadel is rather small and at the mercy of RNG.  Additionally, any t9 BB driver worth their salt will only go broadside at ranges where thye're unlikely to get citadel'd in return.   Meanwhile JB and Alsace suffer from having IFHE pennable plating everywhere, and unlike bots, players aim for the superstructure and bow/stern when HE spamming.  

Co-op on the other hand takes place in fairly closer ranges, and bots don't have the "avoid broadside at all costs" mentality that players do.  This reduces the impact role of long range HE spam, which benefits JB and Alsace much more than Iowa.  If you're ever forced to show broadside, it's also more likely you'll take massive AP damage in a PvE game because the ranges are naturally shorter, and the bots always aim for the citadel perfectly.  Finally, that perfect citadel aim comes back to bite cruiser bots when they chuck HE at you.  They have perfect and consistent aim to the only place on the ship where their HE does no damage.

To sum it up, the environment changes the importance of those gun and armor stats significantly.  You're not wrong when you say Iowa is weak to AP, because she is.  But it goes the other way too, and in randoms JB and Alsace are certainly less survivable than Iowa because they share a significant weakness to HE.

• Cool 1

[SVF]
Members
1,174 posts
1,601 battles
2 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

In randoms people are highly unlikely to ever show broadside,

Are you so sure about that?  There are plenty of topics, either here and/or on reddit, complaining about just how terrible players are at high tier.