You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
deresistance

Huang He better then Le Terrible

23 comments in this topic

[RMRGD]
Members
404 posts
19,372 battles

I picked up these ships in Santa crates and to my surprise Huang he is actually pretty fun.   Is she strong?   Meh.   She has some options and is a good harasser.     I do find going broadside to BBs is fine as the shells overpenn more then trying to angle.   But Le Terrible.   Man I can not get that ship to work.   Shes to big, no way to disengage, no smoke or concealment, she can't cap.    I would take "The Krispy Kreme" over Le Terrible mostly for the fact that least its low tier.   Le Terrible is going to be in Tier X games most of the time.    It makes me sad this ship can be a lot of fun, but she simply isn't.    Huang He is still honestly pretty fun.  

[RMRGD]
Members
404 posts
19,372 battles
5 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

The creeping smoke of the Huange is very effective at pushing and defending caps when you get the hang of it (pun intended).

Totally agree.   I feel she needs a light increase in rate of fire but other then that, I think she just gets a bad rep.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,210 posts
15,584 battles

Lots of ships are better than Le Terrible. The Armed Cargo ships in the Operations are better than the Le Terrible. 

The worst premium ship in the game is probably the Krasny Krym but the Le Terrible is challenging the KK for its Title. 

[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles

I enjoy Huanghe a lot, her not being very good only makes succeeding in her more rewarding. I do think she needs a little buff since Perth, a VERY similar ship is just better. 

[LOU1]
Members
3,665 posts
9,892 battles

One benefit of driving a ship with a bad rep that actually has good abilities like the HH is that the enemy doesn't prioritize you.  Sometimes they don't even take you seriously even when you are tearing them to pieces.

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles
42 minutes ago, deresistance said:

I picked up these ships in Santa crates and to my surprise Huang he is actually pretty fun.   Is she strong?   Meh.   She has some options and is a good harasser.     I do find going broadside to BBs is fine as the shells overpenn more then trying to angle.   But Le Terrible.   Man I can not get that ship to work.   Shes to big, no way to disengage, no smoke or concealment, she can't cap.    I would take "The Krispy Kreme" over Le Terrible mostly for the fact that least its low tier.   Le Terrible is going to be in Tier X games most of the time.    It makes me sad this ship can be a lot of fun, but she simply isn't.    Huang He is still honestly pretty fun.  

I actually find the Le Terrible quite easy to do well in.  For the life of me, I just don't know why people claim that it's bad.  Yes, she can't be played exactly like other, lower concealment DDs.  But that doesn't mean that it's impossible to do well in the Terrible.

[RMRGD]
Members
404 posts
19,372 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I actually find the Le Terrible quite easy to do well in.  For the life of me, I just don't know why people claim that it's bad.  Yes, she can't be played exactly like other, lower concealment DDs.  But that doesn't mean that it's impossible to do well in the Terrible.

I have had some good games in Le Terrible but the main reason I did not get focused on.    I rarely can push caps in her and I feel very secondary for the team.   She needs something more.  I considered the second worse ship to be Abruzzi but at least with her I can put up some reliable damage.  Her guns are just so under whelming.   But Le Terrible for me is difficult. 

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles
2 minutes ago, deresistance said:

I have had some good games in Le Terrible but the main reason I did not get focused on.    I rarely can push caps in her and I feel very secondary for the team.   She needs something more.  I considered the second worse ship to be Abruzzi but at least with her I can put up some reliable damage.  Her guns are just so under whelming.   But Le Terrible for me is difficult. 

Yeah, she's not a good capper, but that comes from her not being a low concealment DD.  She can, however, get her concealment low enough to be a pretty decent stealth torp-er, and her torps hit pretty hard, IIRC.  Also, with her gun reload booster, she can absolutely trash enemy DDs, particularly similar tier ones.  In my experience, her gun damage output even with the GRB isn't always enough to deal with higher tier DDs, but it more often than not does seem to be enough to deal with same or lower tier DDs.  And it can be enough to deal with wounded, higher tier DDs.  In my experience, the best way to engage in gun duels with enemy DDs you want to try to blow away with the GRB is to close on them silently, and only open fire when you're about to be detected.  This increases your gun accuracy due to the shorter range and allows you to land as many shells on target as possible to maximize your GRB's value.

One can play the Terrible like a Khab with floatier shells, and that's not a horrible way to pass the time.  But my best games in her have come from landing a bunch of torps on larger units and using her GRB to blow away unsuspecting DDs.  Sometimes, it's nice to use the GRB on larger enemy units that you've just torpedoed and you know they've burned a DC party, as a way to get a concentrated burst of HE spam on target to hopefully get a perma fire or 2 going.  I've even used the GRB on  badly wounded enemy cruisers and BBs when at short range to pump short, intense volleys of AP into them to finish those ships off.

Effective use of the Terrible's gun reload booster is key to making the most of this DD, right up there with using her torpedoes effectively.

[RMRGD]
Members
404 posts
19,372 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Yeah, she's not a good capper, but that comes from her not being a low concealment DD.  She can, however, get her concealment low enough to be a pretty decent stealth torp-er, and her torps hit pretty hard, IIRC.  Also, with her gun reload booster, she can absolutely trash enemy DDs, particularly similar tier ones.  In my experience, her gun damage output even with the GRB isn't always enough to deal with higher tier DDs, but it more often than not does seem to be enough to deal with same or lower tier DDs.  And it can be enough to deal with wounded, higher tier DDs.  In my experience, the best way to engage in gun duels with enemy DDs you want to try to blow away with the GRB is to close on them silently, and only open fire when you're about to be detected.  This increases your gun accuracy due to the shorter range and allows you to land as many shells on target as possible to maximize your GRB's value.

One can play the Terrible like a Khab with floatier shells, and that's not a horrible way to pass the time.  But my best games in her have come from landing a bunch of torps on larger units and using her GRB to blow away unsuspecting DDs.  Sometimes, it's nice to use the GRB on larger enemy units that you've just torpedoed and you know they've burned a DC party, as a way to get a concentrated burst of HE spam on target to hopefully get a perma fire or 2 going.  I've even used the GRB on  badly wounded enemy cruisers and BBs when at short range to pump short, intense volleys of AP into them to finish those ships off.

Effective use of the Terrible's gun reload booster is key to making the most of this DD, right up there with using her torpedoes effectively.

Sort of off topic.. I LOVE Agile and will probably use her in Rank Sprint 3.   So for sure get your point it may be the constant up tier that hurts the most.   Obviously Tier X punishes much harder then at lower tier.   

[FML]
Members
2,627 posts
12,368 battles
43 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The sad part is HuangHe is 1 change away from being a really good DD.

Fixed that for you ;-)

HuangHe without a citadel would be quite interesting I think. 

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles
22 minutes ago, deresistance said:

Sort of off topic.. I LOVE Agile and will probably use her in Rank Sprint 3.   So for sure get your point it may be the constant up tier that hurts the most.   Obviously Tier X punishes much harder then than at lower tier.   

I have the Aigle (not "agile", though it is an amusing mis-spelling) too.  It actually doesn't feel as good as the Terrible to me, but still fun to play.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
2 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

Lots of ships are better than Le Terrible. The Armed Cargo ships in the Operations are better than the Le Terrible. 

The worst premium ship in the game is probably the Krasny Krym but the Le Terrible is challenging the KK for its Title. 

Naw, Aigle is worse than Le Terrible. I'm not much impressed with either of the French DDs but Le Terrible is the least sucky of the 2.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,449 posts
18,810 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Fixed that for you ;-)

HuangHe without a citadel would be quite interesting I think. 

I don't have Haung He but I do have Perth.  Huang He is pretty much a Perth with better guns and stealthier, and has the same Creeping Smoke Perth has.  I'd say Haung He is just fine.

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I don't have Haung He but I do have Perth.  Huang He is pretty much a Perth with better guns and stealthier, and has the same Creeping Smoke Perth has.  I'd say Haung He is just fine.

Play it 1st my friend before saying it is fine. Play it 1st. You will only know the horror if you do.

Beta Testers
538 posts
11,077 battles

I have the Huang He and the Perth. Perth wins...easily.

I have the Aigle and find it terrible. No interest in the Le Terrible from what I have seen of it. If they are examples of French DD's, won't be going down that line at all when it arrives.