You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_HatTrick_

Help me decide

28 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles

I managed to pull 8k doubloons from santa boxes plus about 37k coal and I'm now sitting on 59k coal.  I want to use the doubloons on another ship and I was considering using the coal to buy the Aigle.  Here's my questions for you all:

1. Which premium ship with a price tag of 8k or under is the best and which is the most fun to play?  (I know those aren't always the same thing.)
  2. Is the Aigle worth the coal investment or should I continue to stockpile to get one of the more expensive ships?

I can't make up my own mind so I'm hoping you all can do it for me lol.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,722 posts
20,718 battles

The Aigle is not worth it IMHO. She isn't a particularly good ship nor is there a French DD line to use her as a trainer.. I would save your resources a bit longer and see what Christmas brings to Arsenal. For the past several years, Wargaming has put some premium ships on the tech tree available for doubloons AND at a discount of 30 - 50% off so definitely save your doubloons just a bit longer. 

It may seem that the stuff is burning a hole in your pocket but you do much better if you are patient just a bit longer. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
20,981 posts
14,623 battles

Aigle and me never got along. I am however a big fan of Blyskawica, even in her current state.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,160 posts
29,782 battles

I have to agree. I like Blyskawica better than Aigle though Aigle is not bad (plays like a mini RU DD), but the comment about lack of captain training opportunities at the moment applies.

I would wait and see what the near future brings.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles

Hopefully in the following update there will be discounts for tech tree premium ships. I would snatch a Scharnhorst if I were you and don't have her already. At a 30% discount for Tier VIII that happens at times during this period you could even grab an Atago for sub 8k doubloons.

As for Aigle and coal, at some point the Arsenal ships will be rotated hopefully. You might find something better then.

Edited by warheart1992

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
20 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The Aigle is not worth it IMHO. She isn't a particularly good ship nor is there a French DD line to use her as a trainer.. I would save your resources a bit longer and see what Christmas brings to Arsenal. For the past several years, Wargaming has put some premium ships on the tech tree available for doubloons AND at a discount of 30 - 50% off so definitely save your doubloons just a bit longer. 

It may seem that the stuff is burning a hole in your pocket but you do much better if you are patient just a bit longer. 

Thanks for the replies so far.  I can definitely hold off a bit to wait for a sale.  In fact, I was planning on it.  I am just trying to decide ahead of time what to do.

13 minutes ago, Lert said:

Aigle and me never got along. I am however a big fan of Blyskawica, even in her current state.

I already have a Blyska so I can't go that route.

10 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

I have to agree. I like Blyskawica better than Aigle though Aigle is not bad (plays like a mini RU DD), but the comment about lack of captain training opportunities at the moment applies.

I would wait and see what the near future brings.

I absolutely love my Minsck even though most people don't.  My W/L so far isn't great in her but my performance has been very good in the 10 or so battles I've had her.  She is a DD killer to be sure and she can put the hurt on other stuff as well.  If Aigle plays like that, and it kind of seems like it would, I'd be happy with it.  The question is would I be happier with yet another gunboat in my port or with a nice shiny Jean Bart?  :Smile_coin:

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

I got Aigle in a event a while back, tried her out in a few Randoms, and she's now a port queen. Save the dusty black stuff for something better.

I agree Lert, Blyskie is a damn good bote. She has excellent guns, good torpedoes, is tough, and fast. Even with the 6.8 detectability, what's not to like?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
41 minutes ago, _HatTrick_ said:

I managed to pull 8k doubloons from santa boxes plus about 37k coal and I'm now sitting on 59k coal.  I want to use the doubloons on another ship and I was considering using the coal to buy the Aigle.  Here's my questions for you all:

1. Which premium ship with a price tag of 8k or under is the best and which is the most fun to play?  (I know those aren't always the same thing.)
  2. Is the Aigle worth the coal investment or should I continue to stockpile to get one of the more expensive ships?

The Leningrad looks like it would fit well in your port giving you a Russian DD trainer. otherwise if you buy or have another 1500 doubloons the Scharnhorst would be a good choice if you are considering going up the German BB line.

35 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The Aigle is not worth it IMHO. She isn't a particularly good ship nor is there a French DD line yet to use her as a trainer.. I would save your resources a bit longer and see what Christmas brings to Arsenal. For the past several years, Wargaming has put some premium ships on the tech tree available for doubloons AND at a discount of 30 - 50% off so definitely save your doubloons just a bit longer. 

FTFY

Saving it might be the better idea and that will allow for quite a few captain retrainings.

• Cool 1

[90THC]
Members
144 posts
6,909 battles

I for one like my Aigle. If you enjoy your Minsk, I'm sure you'd find her fun too. However, as others have pointed out, she doesn't currently have a use as a trainer and your coal might be better spent elsewhere. The arsenal should have some new premiums at some point and it might be worth seeing what they are. for sub-8,000 doubloons, there are a lot of good ships to choose from, but some of my favorites are Graf Spee and Z-39. I've heard great things about lots of other ships, but it's all about preference and seeing what's available at a given time.

Edited by CrescentSky

[LOU1]
Members
3,665 posts
9,892 battles

Aigle can be fun and I am considering getting one on my Steam account before the coupon gets replaced in a couple of weeks. I have a 60% WR over 30 Randoms driving her.  I don't get along with the Oktober and the other low cost coal ships can't be used for missions since they are below Tier 5, so I cannot suggest those.  Leningrad and Scharnhorst are definitely good choices for Doubloon ships.  The Leningrad has speed, among other advantages.  I like the quick reload, secondaries, and torps on the Scharn.  T7 is a nice tier to run right now, too.  Personally, I am holding off a bit on buying a Doubloon ship because of the Doubloon ship sale I hope they repeat this year.

[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles

Not a fan of Aigle, wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Don't know what all is available for dubs in the tech tree right now so hard for me to make a recommendation.  Z-39 is probably in that price range and is really solid. 

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,558 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

^^^ THIS.

Get her only if you love the Maple Leaf camo.  I did.  Love the camo, not the ship

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
1 hour ago, _HatTrick_ said:

If you have don't have premium time, I would get that first, as you get more xp and credits from any ship you play. No matter what ship you may purchase, you will tire of it and play other ships.

That said. I would get the Sims. Its a badash little man! But the kicker is the XP generation this thing provides.  if you cap, get a few defender badges, and get 20k damage you will be easily in the top three or first in XP every game you play.I call it my little Chicken Hawk. Its such a great ship! Others have mentioned decent ships but don't waste your doubloons on a ship where that captain can't be shared with other ships.

The Sims... it's Rodeo tough and will reward you so much more Xp, and captains xp plus you can use it the captain in all the US dd's. many used to play the Sims in ranked just to save a star because the XP generation was so off the charts good.

See the source image

[FML]
Members
2,627 posts
12,355 battles
8 minutes ago, nagasakee said:

^^^ THIS.

Get her only if you love the Maple Leaf camo.  I did.  Love the camo, not the ship

Isn’t that the Haida, with the maple leaf camo, and not the Aigle?

[FML]
Members
2,627 posts
12,355 battles
2 hours ago, _HatTrick_ said:

I haven’t played the Aigle much - if memory serves, your guns hit other DDs hard if you can aim well, but it struggles a bit in knife fights. And it isn’t stealthy.

Thinking about which premium ships have been fun, I would have to agree that Scharnhorst is right up there. Guilo Cesare is also an overperformer. Depending on what ship lines you might want to run next, the De Grasse is a solid cruiser and Dunkerque is an interesting BB.  I’ve enjoyed the Massachusetts s far (100% WR, 152k average damage, after 2 battles :-p) but even with it on sale not sure you’ll have quite enough doubloons for her. I enjoy the Tirpitz as well, but same issue.

Let us know where you end up!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[-BSS-]
Members
158 posts
10,170 battles

I got the Aigle for free in that one event but was never very impressed with her. The concealment is bad and the turret travers isn't great either. I would suggest reading the review that @LittleWhiteMouse did on her if you haven't already. As others have stated the Scharnhorst is a good ship as well as some others..

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Definitely seeing some consensus developing on the Scharny.  I should probably list what premiums I already have to help narrow the playing field.  I'll list them by country since that's how the port does it:

Japan:  Yubari, Atago B, Asashio B

US:  Arkansas B, Texas, Massachusetts B

Soviet:  Murmansk

Germany:  Emden, T-61, Tirpitz B

UK:  Hood, Nelson

Poland:  Blyskawica

Italy:  Giulio Cesare

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,558 battles
44 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Isn’t that the Haida, with the maple leaf camo, and not the Aigle?

Yep.  Damn you Crown Royal :)   I meant the X13 of course.  Or did I?

[FML]
Members
2,627 posts
12,355 battles
4 minutes ago, _HatTrick_ said:

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Definitely seeing some consensus developing on the Scharny.  I should probably list what premiums I already have to help narrow the playing field.  I'll list them by country since that's how the port does it:

In that case, in addition to Scharn, the Leningrad and the Molotov I find fun.

But a French premium, like De Grasse, would add a new nation to your premium port. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[FML]
Members
2,627 posts
12,355 battles
2 minutes ago, nagasakee said:

Yep.  Damn you Crown Royal :)   I meant the X13 of course.  Or did I?

Pity, I didn’t want to be right. I wanted to know how to get an awesome camo for a ship I actually have :-p

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
34 minutes ago, littlejo1983 said:

I got the Aigle for free in that one event but was never very impressed with her. The concealment is bad and the turret travers isn't great either. I would suggest reading the review that @LittleWhiteMouse did on her if you haven't already. As others have stated the Scharnhorst is a good ship as well as some others..

I started reading LWM's review of the Aigle but stopped when I read about the low muzzle velocity of her guns.  That is very much unlike Soviet DDs and I would not enjoy that at all.  Minsk fires laser beams at the target.  That I like :Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,962 posts
21,911 battles

First of all: if WG do things like in the last two years, you will see a sale for techtree premium ships around Christmas. T7 is usually 30% off. Oh, anf they add most of teh premiums to the techtreea round this time.

Second: I agree with the others, the Aigle isn't worth it. There are better ships that need more coal. Just wait with the spending.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,862 posts
5 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The Leningrad looks like it would fit well in your port giving you a Russian DD trainer. otherwise if you buy or have another 1500 doubloons the Scharnhorst would be a good choice if you are considering going up the German BB line.

FTFY

Saving it might be the better idea and that will allow for quite a few captain retrainings.

Absolutely!  Leningrad is Minsk with 8 km torpedoes.   I'm also a Minsk fan, and Leningrad was right up my alley.

Truth be told, I've actually owned Scharnhorst almost from the beginning- and never played it.   At first it was because the queue was World of Scharnhorsts, and I wanted to let that die down some.  Then I forgot all about it...   Now I've moved on, and am no longer grinding German BB's.

If you're hoping to use coal for an expensive ship like Jean Fart, or Salem,  I'd wait and get that first.  The inexpensive ones you can always fill in later, but 220k+ coal takes a while to accumulate!

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,055 posts
16,036 battles
3 hours ago, _HatTrick_ said:

Dude you need a Warspite!!!