You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FloridaPanther25

Best Tier VII Gold Destroyer?

25 comments in this topic

Members
1,248 posts
6,839 battles

In terms of personal win rate, Z-39 comes 1st, but with the fewest battles. Leningrad is a close 2nd, but with far more battles.

I would say the Leningrad is a very good ship, but so is the Z-39.

Members
981 posts

I own all but Haida

1. Z39

2. Leningrad

3. Sims 

Bly has no line so Captains are useless on other ships. Haida ain’t much better.

Fun factor and built in hp? For any competition is Sims.  What country captain do you want to train?  Before I had Tier 10 DDs I played Sims all the time. Leningrad was my go to DD. Z39 is more recent and I like her. 

[RLGN]
Members
10,704 posts
19,847 battles

In my experience Haida; but then I learned to use the creeping smoke with Perth and Huang He before Haida even came out.

Part of that is it suits me better, since I’m a terrible destroyer brawler.

For me Sims has been useless outside of ops; and I haven’t liked any of the RU destroyers except Okhotnik, Podviosky, and Grozovoi.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Beta Testers
1,286 posts
15,655 battles
37 minutes ago, FloridaPanther25 said:

Of these ships, which in your experience is the best:

* Haida

* Leningrad

* Z 39

* Sims

* Blyskawica

Thanks for your insights!

The title of your post is Best Tier VII Gold Destroyer?

The best one is the one that suits your play style. Check the stats on the WIKI and YOU decide what YOU like best.

Blys has great guns bad concealment, Leningrad has speed and guns , Sims has speed and guns she could be the best credit earner of the bunch, Zee has great torps and 150 mm guns that hit hard but load slowly and Haidas shells are floaty but hit hard. Of the choices you present Haida suits ME best. Her concealment is the best of the bunch at 5.7.

Good luck with your quest.

[O_O]
Members
5,190 posts
11,795 battles

I have Leningrad, Sims, and Blyscawica.

Leningrad is the best of those three, IMO.

I would like to have Haida and Z-39 to compare, but alas, I do not.

[INTEL]
Members
7,160 posts
29,782 battles

As said, the best is the one you are good at.

I have them all and like them in this order:

• Haida
  • Leningrad
  • Sims
  • Blyskawica
  • Z 39

[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles

Best is very subjective.

I really like z-39 though she is still new for me.

They are (mostly) all good, I do think Haida is highly overrated (sorry all my Canadian friends) so for me it wouldn't be one of the top picks.

Ultimately it comes down to what you want from a dd, what kinda playstyle you like.

An easier question to answer might be which is worse... poor Sims.

Members
55 posts
4,367 battles

Only got experience in Z-39 and the Haida.

Z-39 is sweet in that it has high survivability, 5km Hydro, good torps for the tier, guns that can pen almost anything with IFHE, and competitive concealment as long as it isn't uptiered.

Haida has great firepower under 6km, smoke you can carry around(wish you could turn it off pre-emptively though), long duration Hydro, good survivability, as well as amazing concealment that allows her to remain competitive even when pulled up to IX. 

Honestly my personal pick is fairly obvious because if wows numbers has totalled it right, I've played the most Haida in NA.

Edited by Musouka

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
825 posts
25,837 battles

Sims may not be the best (6.6 conceal is probably the culprit there) but she is fun. She is possibly the most agile ship in the game and has almost definitely the BEST hidden EXP multiplier of all DD's. I've had 2200 base games with like 29k damage and a couple of caps lol.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,235 posts
8,382 battles

All of the t7 premium dds are fun, easy to learn, and obtain decent results with. Really ask why you want a t7 premium dd, what do you need one for?

[POET]
Members
146 posts
5,351 battles

With the over abundance of CVs at this tier, I always prefered my Sims.  Slow torps, but wow the guns!  And defensive AA rolfcopters those CVs!

Edited by Bailen
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,448 posts
18,810 battles

Most of those Premium VII DDs are pretty good.

Sims is very old, the oldest Premium DD in this tier by far.  She has a high XP bonus, so much so that in previous Ranked Seasons people have complained about it, because it's usually enough to get her to save her Star in a loss.  She's one of the best knife fighting DDs in the game.  However, her torps are awful and her 6.8km detection even in Stealth Build are very sore marks for today's game.  However, Sims plays in a tier bracket where she can see a good number of CVs, namely from the Tier V-VII CVs.  Her AA is fabulous against them.

Speaking of AA, if you like to do Operation Dynamo, Sims is **THE** DD.  Her agility, great AA, and very quick-to-respond guns make her a yooge earner in that operation.

Bad concealment is a very awful aspect in Tier VII and lower DDs.  Because of this Z-39 and Haida stand out from the Premium VII DD group.  Haida is the most unique of VII Prem.DDs because she has not only concealment just as good as the Stealthy Tier VIII Destroyers, but that she has Perth's Creeping Smoke.  She can move at 1/4 speed and take her smoke with her.  Perth's smoke has a horridly long CD but Haida's version has a shorter CD.

Leningrad?  If you like the RU DD style of "Running around fast in open water like your hair is on fire, and shooting up whatever you see."  The catch with Leningrad is that she kind of wants a high points captain.  It's not because she's a bad DD, it's just there are things about her, i.e. bad concealment, slow turret traverse, etc, that a few extra points on her would make these problems less of an issue.  If you got a high pts RU captain for her, especially someone like the Ovechkin special captain, they would fit great on her and really make her sing as a RU DD Gunboat.

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,209 battles

@HazeGrayUnderway has a good summary of the ships.

It really depends on what I need to accomplish.

If I need XP, Sims is my best DD at Tier 7, period.

Haida is best of the vision game.  I pick her if I'm looking for spotting results.  She can also cap, but has to be careful with the matchup.  She is deadly if she catches a DD in isolation due to strong hydro and useful smoke.

Leningrad is just fun.  I agree that this DD needs captain points to be really effective, but that speed.  (BTW, I'm bouncing the dual-nation Ovechkin captain between Sims and Leningrad.)

Błyskawica is another fun ship, but she was designed for the Open Water Stealth Fire environment and probably was one of the biggest losers from that change.  I still enjoy this ship, but there are other options.  I still will use Błyskawica when I need to do damage to ships with a DD.  Finally, this ship is one of my best overall credit earners in Co-op.

I got the Z-39 in a Santa crate.  I have not prepared this ship yet, and I will likely not finish that until the New Year's Event is over.

[CUTER]
Members
2,699 posts
11,741 battles

Leningrad is a strong gunboat, but has surprisingly good torps for as good as her guns are.  Minimum captain needed is 12 points, with feeling pretty strong at 15 points.  My build:  http://bit.ly/2LmxxSq

Another DD that requires a high point captain to get satisfactory results.  Minimum is 13 points IMO.  Probably the most improved as the captain progresses.  OP as hell with a 19 point captain.  http://bit.ly/2Ln3EkU

The best premium torp boat at T7.  Minimum captain IMO is 10 points, obviously more is better though.  http://bit.ly/2rGrv5Z

My newest premium.  Still sorting out a build for her, but leaning towards IFHE to take advantage of her high alpha HE.  http://bit.ly/2Llz8aU

The swiss army knife of the DDs at T7.  Sims does it all.  Not going to list a build as there are way to many ways I spec her depending on what I'm doing with her.

These videos should give you an idea of how they play so you can match them best to your play style.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• Cool 1

[GOFU]
Members
923 posts
9,670 battles

Ive owned and played them all, Sims was a long time favourite.

Haida now takes top spot for me as i love the creeping smoke, done well in Huang He and Perth so its an easy crossover.

Way shorter cooldown on smoke too in Haida

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,504 posts
12,810 battles

I've got them all and for me, without question, it's the Haida.  She's the best DD hunter-killer, best cap contester, and the best spotter.  Those three things win games.

[FU8AR]
Members
2,682 posts
5,659 battles

I’ve got the Blys, Z and Sims. 60+% WR in all, but Sims is favorite. Torps require a lot of planning, but reload every minute. Guns and USN smoke and DFAA. 

Z seems really clunky to me, though torp reload is nice. 

Blys is a dead end, but lots of guns! 

Members
360 posts
4,371 battles

I have them all, though I haven't played the Haida yet nor the Sims in an age.  For me, the Z-39 is the most fun... Blys can be a hoot as well.  The RU style run and gun just doesn't seem to agree with me, and combined with a lower-skill captain makes Leningrad somewhat unfun to play (imo).  When last I played Sims I was totally ignorant of DD play and only had like a 6-pt captain.  Should revisit her and see how it goes now.