You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

General question on fighters (RTS version)

5 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles

What exactly does the "loadout" represent in terms of number of engagements or damage potential, and is it really all that critical?

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,113 posts
16,156 battles

Load out here for bombers is just whether they would be carrying torpedoes or regular bombs for the torpedo bombers and for the dive bombers Anti Ship (AP) or Ground Attack (HE) general purpose bombs! That presented the IJN with their problem at Midway! Their 2nd wave armed to bomb Midway again when the US CVs were located. In either case for this game bombers get the one engagement per load. Fighter in game loadout is basically the ammo amount and their survivability. The longer they survive with a larger ammo load the more engagements they can have per sortie. It is my understanding that the Strafe attack uses ammo more rapidly also but seeing the number of complaints here about insta deletes of ones planes it is very effective.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
On 12/9/2018 at 11:54 AM, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Fighter in game loadout is basically the ammo amount and their survivability.

Yeah, this is clear, but quantity per engagement seems to be a very opaque thing. I'm a carrier noob, so I'm worried about the fact that my Bogue's "upgraded" fighters carry less ammo. I suppose they get a benefit in terms of damage-per-ammo-expended or it wouldn't be an upgrade, so maybe I should just put my trust in WOWS, get the upgraded fighters and see what happens. (Not that it will be relevant for too much longer, but I will try at least to grind out all this carrier's upgrades. I like the RTS system; I just suck at it, so I'm awaiting the rework with interest.)

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,113 posts
16,156 battles

I have the Bogue and yes the upgraded fighters are worth it.

Beta Testers
285 posts
9,806 battles

To the best of my knowledge, a fighter's "loadout" stat is how many seconds of ammunition it has.  While more is obviously better, generally damage-per-second is more valuable.

So, yes, upgrading from the F4F-3 through to the F4F-4 is good.

Once you move up to tier 6 and gain access to manual attacks, "strafing" with your fighters uses up ammo much faster.  I believe it's either 15 or 20 seconds' worth, but I could be wrong.