You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

What are the best cruisers?

29 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,350 posts
2,886 battles

Of all? (Stalin? or Kron?) 

Of tech tree? 

Between Worchester and Des Moines? 

[INTEL]
Members
10,308 posts
28,819 battles

The ones I am trying to shoot at in my BB and which are consistently making me miss...

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MIA-P]
Members
671 posts
6,525 battles

I might be a little biased, but the cleveland pre-radar nerf was pretty OP.

Come to think of it, cleveland was also pretty OP back when it was at tier 6.

Wasn't particularly OP in that window before IFHE was introduced...

But I've heard great things about the cleveland in ye ol' beta days.

So the point is: My answer would be cleveland; being able to survive so many changes and still be a terrifying monster of DD tears really speaks to the power of this ship. It does not care if it's bottom tier, it doesn't care what it's facing. It doesn't care when it gets moved two tiers higher with practically zero changes. It is a monster.

• Cool 1

[MKF]
Members
453 posts
17,100 battles

Best cruiser to do what? I probably get my highest damage cruiser games in Zao but I feel as though I can influence a match more in DM as I can shut down caps.

[RLGN]
Members
10,704 posts
19,847 battles

The question is so subjective it’s not even funny...

I would consider Emerald the ‘best’ cruiser of the RN line because of how well I’ve done in it; (compared the the ‘nothing but bounce!’ dreck further up the tree,) but that is an opinion shared by very few other players...

Out of more ‘normal’ cruisers I’ve played more than a few games?

Perth. Marblehead. Konigsburg.

[SYN]
Members
3,473 posts
17,197 battles

IMO a well played Des Moines is pretty much unstoppable.  I just wish I could play at that level....

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,468 posts
5,754 battles

Tier for tier (sort of like pound for pound in boxing) best cruiser in the game would be the Friant.

[BSL]
Members
990 posts
16,295 battles
24 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

IMO a well played Des Moines is pretty much unstoppable.  I just wish I could play at that level....

Me too.

A lot of love for Hindy out there.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,981 posts
14,623 battles

The one driven competently by a skilled player.

• Cool 2

Members
117 posts
42 battles
31 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Tier for tier (sort of like pound for pound in boxing) best cruiser in the game would be the Friant.

This is actually true. I remember doing the French CL grind -- and I was ASTONISHED by what they were giving us at T3. The Friant seemed totally out of place at that tier.

Also Charles Martel at T8 is a monster. It's a rare T8 cruiser which is relaxing to play in that I don't have to worry about getting a T10 game.

[_-_]
Members
2,114 posts
18 minutes ago, Lert said:

The one driven competently by a skilled player.

Truly.

In what is arguably one of the best CA's in the game, Des Moines, I'm not worth squat. My fault, not the ship's. My fave T10 is the good old Hindy.

OTOH, I do very well in cruisers people seem to love to hate, like the Krispy Kreme and Omaha.

It's all about familiarity and style. The diversity of capabilities and specialties in the cruiser lines pretty much ensures there's a "best cruiser" available for everyone.

[_-_]
Members
2,114 posts
48 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

8 minutes ago, jss78 said:

This is actually true. I remember doing the French CL grind -- and I was ASTONISHED by what they were giving us at T3. The Friant seemed totally out of place at that tier.

Also Charles Martel at T8 is a monster. It's a rare T8 cruiser which is relaxing to play in that I don't have to worry about getting a T10 game.

Oh, hell yes. Friant is probably the best ship out there for acclimating new players to higher-end cruiser play.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,069 posts
6,025 battles
55 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Those torpedoes make her a nightmare for everything and anything, and her guns are still good! She's like a T3 Omaha with long range torps practically.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,538 posts
7,560 battles

Depends on your playstyle, and what you define as best. Is it about damage numbers? Kills? Win Rate when playing in a div? Win Rate when playing with a CV buddy? Solo Win Rate?

[SPTR]
Members
26,653 posts
12,953 battles

Probably stalingrad I mean the ship better be worth it if its gunna take a fair amount of rare steels to acquire it.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,777 posts
29,479 battles
1 hour ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Truly.

In what is arguably one of the best CA's in the game, Des Moines, I'm not worth squat. My fault, not the ship's. My fave T10 is the good old Hindy.

OTOH, I do very well in cruisers people seem to love to hate, like the Krispy Kreme and Omaha.

It's all about familiarity and style. The diversity of capabilities and specialties in the cruiser lines pretty much ensures there's a "best cruiser" available for everyone.

My best cruiser in terms of win rate is the Shchors. Better than Perth, Belfast, Atlanta and Fiji (in that order). Even I don’t really understand why. 

Des Moines is growing on me. Henri really is fun with the gun Reload Booster and that killer AP. And Worcester is like a Tier 10 Atlanta except that the radar range buff actually weakened her more than I expected. 

[ARGSY]
Members
143 posts
5,402 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Agree, I initiated myself to the  game using the French CA line last year. I really did pretty well in the tier IV and V CLs and that is when I really knew diddly squat about the game, tactics or team work. There is something to be said about modern super firing gun turrets. 

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,534 posts
6,771 battles

In terms of sheer over the top overpowerdness I can't think of any cruiser that beats the Belfast, *not even the Stalingrad, so if pressed to pick a singular "best cruiser" I'd go with that.  

[INTEL]
Members
7,160 posts
29,784 battles

Very subjective question.

My choice (subjective of course) of what I have and like per tier:

• Hindenburg
  • Zao
  • Roon
  • Baltimore
  • Atago
  • Prinz Eugen
  • Helena (and her two sisters)
  • Bellfast
  • Budyonny
  • Marblehead
  • Königsberg
  • Yubari
  • St. Louis
  • Bogatyr

Special mention (but not my favorites although excellent, and I do play them all):

• Des Moines
  • Minotaur
  • Cleveland
  • Mogami
  • Fiji
  • Atlanta
  • Myoko
  • Perth
  • Leander
  • Furutaka
  • Krasny Krim

I have lots more (am a collector) but they rate lower and I play them less.

Also special mention to a couple of special  cruisers in the game: Scharnhorst and Khabarovsk

Edited by alexf24

[FOG]
Members
530 posts
5,849 battles

I always enjoy these type of postings in that I learn a lot as to what people obviously like, but also what is strikingly missing. I keep seeing reports as to how good the Hindenberg is and will have to check that out, as possible, on the PTS. The Des Moines comments are certainly not surprisingly. I am though surprised to not see listings with the Worcester. Further, the absolute absence of the Kronshtadt is also notable. Lastly, I would have expected to see the Admiral Makarov and the Kutuzov mentioned at least in passing.

Edited by DJC_499

[-MM-]
Members
251 posts
17,420 battles
4 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Of tech tree? 

Stalin is garbage.

Kron on the other hand, keeps the strengths and only have half the drawbacks, making it a strong competitor for the best T9 cruiser.

But Still, best cruiser in the game is Wooster, Belfast and Kutuzov comes close.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,235 posts
8,389 battles
4 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Of tech tree? 

Zao, Minotaur, Henri, in no particular order. Des Moines gets an honourable mention as the jack of all trades workhorse cruiser of tier 10. 

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
831 posts
4,083 battles

Based only on what I've played... Looks like Boise is best cruiser in the game. *Shrugs*

Radar Mino is a lot of fun, you can control caps and really annoy the crap out of DD's with your stealth. Only got Henri recently but it's a blast to play, the speed allows it to be so flexible and the AP hits like a truck when you get opportunities to use it. I think overall there is ship for everyone's play style in the cruiser lines. Just have to find what you like best.

(RIP my Abruzzi's winrate though poor ship. Also Aoba in there, haven't played that ship in over 2 years...)

Spoiler

lolboise.thumb.png.d7f978195f2973e841e73015957cc319.png

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
1 hour ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Stalin is garbage.

Kron on the other hand, keeps the strengths and only have half the drawbacks, making it a strong competitor for the best T9 cruiser.

But Still, best cruiser in the game is Wooster, Belfast and Kutuzov comes close.

I'll bite, why is the Stalin Garbage?