Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tinfoilpaperweight

T3-5 Battleship dispersion

14 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
10,641 posts
19,797 battles

Practice... A LOT.

Dispertion is at the whim of an evil programming subroutine called RNG, but aim means a lot as well.

Watch the mini-map; a target might look broadside on the main screen, but in reality is angled; sometimes a lot. Aim needs to be adjusted up or down accordingly, or every shot will miss.

(On your minimap you can better see the relationship (angle) between you and the target thanks to the icons.)

A simple example of basic aiming differences is for fires; if you hit a target and it catches fire on the bow, shift your aim back a bit and try to start another fire in the superstructure or near the stern.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,285 posts
2,940 battles

T4-5 BB dispersion is terrible. Not a whole lot you can do but move on up the line.

[ADOPT]
Members
331 posts
4,166 battles

T3-5 BBs have so many guns typically that a cruiser at 10km or less is asking to get chunk'ed or dev struck.  You really only need 1 citadel and a few additional pens / overpens to send cruisers back to port at those tiers.

Edited by mixmkz

[WOLF6]
Members
338 posts
2,773 battles
8 hours ago, Fiona_Marshe said:

Close to secondary range and shoot from there.  Dispersion doesn't really improve until aorund T6 or 7.

6 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

T4-5 BB dispersion is terrible. Not a whole lot you can do but move on up the line.

Dispersion doesn't change with Tier.  Using IJN BBs as an example, Kawachi and Yamato have the same dispersion.  The value displayed in port will be different, of course, because dispersion is not a value, but an equation based on range.  The wiki has a pretty good rundown now at the end of the gunnery section, including both the dispersion equations and a graphical representation.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Shell_Dispersion

What actually changes that makes a difference in how 'accurate' BBs feel as you go up line is the Sigma.

9 hours ago, XxX_7_1 said:

Can someone help me how to fix the dispersion of lower tier battleship? Cruiser is 5 km away from me and shells go either over the target or hit water prematurely.

On non-US BBs, Gun Fire Control System Modification 2 Aiming Systems Modification 1 decreases the area of the shell dispersion ellipse by 7%.  It is unavailable for the US line.  Also make sure you have the correct ship targeted (x key); if you have no target selected, dispersion doubles.  If you have the wrong target selected, your salvo will most likely miss in range due to the built in 'aim assist'.

Edited by ZoomieG
changed mod name; wiki has it wrong on that page

[WOLF5]
Members
2,285 posts
2,940 battles
11 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

Dispersion doesn't change with Tier.  Using IJN BBs as an example, Kawachi and Yamato have the same dispersion.  The value displayed in port will be different, of course, because dispersion is not a value, but an equation based on range.  The wiki has a pretty good rundown now at the end of the gunnery section, including both the dispersion equations and a graphical representation.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Shell_Dispersion

What actually changes that makes a difference in how 'accurate' BBs feel as you go up line is the Sigma.

On non-US BBs, Gun Fire Control System Modification 2 decreases the area of the shell dispersion ellipse by 7%.  It is unavailable for the US line.  Also make sure you have the correct ship targeted (x key); if you have no target selected, dispersion doubles.  If you have the wrong target selected, your salvo will most likely miss in range due to the built in 'aim assist'.

When most people say dispersion, they're referring to how far the shells tend to spread from the center aiming point. The technical term is more precise as you pointed out. But BBs absolutely become more accurate as tier increases. The spread of shells from a Yamato, or how the shells disperse, is much tighter than the Kawachi. The OP was not referring to the technical dispersion, so neither was I.

Members
1,205 posts
3,161 battles

Aside from your aim, there's nothing you can do as a player to reduce dispersion aside from equipping Aiming System Mod 1 which will slightly reduce it, but not by much. It's all up to RNG. 

Members
373 posts
5,072 battles

One of the things I love about this game is dispersion.  RNG is a wonderful thing!  It makes you never quite know what the result will be in two identical sets of circumstances.  It's exciting!  People love dispersion the same way they like playing slot machines with a 10% house edge.  It's the uncertainty that makes the heart pound!  Maybe you'll get three sevens!  Maybe you'll get nothing!  Maybe you'll get a cherry and a bar!  Who knows?  Just keep pulling the lever.  

:Smile_trollface:

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,951 posts
2,812 battles

The dispersion is the same in each line, a Kawachi and Yamato are the same and a South Carolina and a Montana are the same.  Sigma can vary, but even some low tier ships have very high sigma.  Myogi has a 2.0 for example.  A difference that isn't often considered is that the ships a Yamato is shooting at are very much larger than the ships a Kawachi is shooting at.  They are also usually less agile, even if they are faster.

[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
3,075 battles

You can't upgrade dispersion at that tier afaik. If you're missing from 5 km, that's a problem. People are saying get closer, but around 3 km, your guns can't swivel fast enough to follow a cruiser. One thing that helps is press the 'Shift' key. That toggles your view into gun-zoom mode, and the green circle is a pretty good indication of where shells will go. If you're shooting AP, aim lower rather than higher. The shells can still hit the target even underwater. Although, I think my hit % has gone down since I started using the shift key. 

Now, in higher tier ships, you can reduce dispersion. But unless you have uncanny aim, it's not always better. The high tier ships can be shotguns, and you might get more hits from dispersion than if you upgraded dispersion and all shells miss. It's situational I suppose. For shooting a wasd'ing ship at medium to long range (and most do at high tiers) I like to fire all around it and let dispersion do the rest. 

Sign in to follow this