You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Flavius_Julius_1

Unsporting conduct for killing own planes?

7 comments in this topic

Members
49 posts
3,667 battles

So today I was playing my Essex (had a great game btw, 4 kills and 130k, screenies available for those interested in proof) and when I was browsing through the post battle results information I was surprised to see that the game actually counted an aircraft carrier killing his own planes against the player when calculating team damage and how much you've done when deciding when to turn you pink and go through the entire progressive disciplinary process. To put that into context I am certainly not above baiting an enemy CV into attacking one of my squadrons with both of his squadrons, and then strafing the entire lot with my remaining squadron, more or less getting a two for one deal when trying to joust for air superiority, especially mid game when CVs start concentrating on getting kills on ships with now weakened AA defenses. 

I'm not sure how the CV rework will affect all of this but surely the ability, to even by accident kill your OWN planes, shouldn't count against you? 

[SCREW]
Members
218 posts
10,667 battles

Why not? You're directly reducing your own ability to be effective by destroying your only means of being useful. Yes, you should absolutely be hit for it.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,109 posts
8,357 battles

very odd./ I regularly strafe my own planes, as part of bait to catch enemy fighters. I have never turned pink because of it..

Members
49 posts
3,667 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

very odd./ I regularly strafe my own planes, as part of bait to catch enemy fighters. I have never turned pink because of it..

Did not turn pink because of it. But I saw the "unsporting conduct" bit in post battle results. Surely that means it's being calculated in your team damage totals.

Members
2,939 posts
3,741 battles
On 12/8/2018 at 6:34 PM, Flavius_Julius_1 said:

Did not turn pink because of it. But I saw the "unsporting conduct" bit in post battle results. Surely that means it's being calculated in your team damage totals.

I would imagine that, if it were possible to do so, if as a DD you shot yourself with one of your own torps it would also count as team damage.

Members
449 posts

Duh, what do you expect will you kill your own aviators?? In real life you'd be brought before a military tribunal, tried for war crimes and executed.

And you're complaining about the game punishing you with a slap on the wrist?

• Boring 1

[AK2]
Members
106 posts
9,074 battles

This game never has been, nor will it ever be a real life game. Yes, IRL you would be court martialed, but in real life, your sunk ship would not automatically appear in your port when the battle was over either, and you would not have s Space commanders, cat commanders, teenage Asian girl commanders, Russian model commanders, paper ships, radar only on a select few ships, and then only for less than a minute. Nobody wants 100% realism, that is why it is an arcade style game. It is one thing to shoot a teammate, but to shoot yourself? I was in my Saipan a few months back, and ended up torping myself. I went pink for two battles. I agree though, that in the grand scheme of the battle, if you take yourself out, you are essentially hindering your own team. So it does make sense to get a pink penalty.