Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
richie_macrophage

Is Buffalo Good?

35 comments in this topic

Members
842 posts
3,790 battles

I always dreamed of using the American T10 cruiser Des Moines. To do that though, I have to get through the T9 Buffalo-class heavy cruiser.

This is a ship that I normally hear far more bad than good, especially with it's range. My friend really dislikes this ship.

I was wondering if it did anything good that would be worth it enough to grind for and use?

I have a decent experience with American Heavy Cruisers. I don't hate or like the Baltimore-Class but I like the U.S.S. Indianapolis.

The Buffalo doesn't seem to have any better armor, range, and has an even shorter reload than the Baltimore, but it gains an additional turret which from on paper, would add a lot of firepower potential to it. At least it's not a complete paper downgrade like the Seattle.

I also wonder if you can make use of it's Spotter Plane as well as you could from the Des Moines

[NDA]
Supertester
5,200 posts
15,552 battles

The Buffalo is boarder line Meh. Lots of fire power that it can struggle to bring it to bare on to targets. You have to take the Range Mod to get 18km on the guns but that means a 12s reload. WG said once they don't plan on a T9 Rank season because so many people sell their T9 ships. And I'm like, "Well if so many of the T9s didn't Suck to play less people would sell them". 
The way I see it is you either suck it up and grind through the Buffalo or you save up as much Free Exp as you can and skip it. Because the DesMoines is a Good ship that's a lot of fun to play. On the bright side there are a bunch of Signal flags and Camos that will speed up the grind, if you have them. 

[ADR]
Members
57 posts
10,737 battles

I played about 20 battles with it.  Lost 18.  Then bought the DM with free experience.  The DM is great, the buffalo, not so much.

Members
842 posts
3,790 battles

Oof, I would need 471,000 free XP to skip Buffalo to get to Des Moines. I only have 241k right now and I recently ran out of the special signal for free XP

[SYN]
Members
2,787 posts
9,435 battles

Well she isn't as horrifically bad as Seattle, but she does not break the T9 trend of meh ships. But as mentioned, few T9 ships are any good. If there is ever a Tier that desperately needs love, its T9. That being said I do consider Buffalo a better ship than the old T9 Baltimore, but that's not saying much.

[KRAK]
Members
2,670 posts
17,342 battles
30 minutes ago, TitanicMan2 said:

I always dreamed of using the American T10 cruiser Des Moines. To do that though, I have to get through the T9 Buffalo-class heavy cruiser.

This is a ship that I normally hear far more bad than good, especially with it's range. My friend really dislikes this ship.

I was wondering if it did anything good that would be worth it enough to grind for and use?

I have a decent experience with American Heavy Cruisers. I don't hate or like the Baltimore-Class but I like the U.S.S. Indianapolis.

The Buffalo doesn't seem to have any better armor, range, and has an even shorter reload than the Baltimore, but it gains an additional turret which from on paper, would add a lot of firepower potential to it. At least it's not a complete paper downgrade like the Seattle.

I also wonder if you can make use of it's Spotter Plane as well as you could from the Des Moines

I personally hated that ship but as you said it is one you have to go thru to get the DM which is an awesome ship. Why would you use a spotter plane? You have hydro and radar.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
37 minutes ago, TitanicMan2 said:

all ships are good, if you protect them. Just protect the Buff and you will be fine. Its not an exotic ship, but it isn't horrific.

[WOLF2]
Members
234 posts
6,078 battles

Definitely don't skip the Buffalo -- I'm only about 10 or so games in and that 12 gun AP broadside is insanely devastating to cruisers and BBs alike. You have to play at range to start, but once you see how the match is unfolding you can easily push with it being surprisingly tanky. I went with the range mod -- having 18km range really makes this ship capable of harassing the hell out of anything at the beginning of the match from relative safety.

It's better than the Baltimore by a country mile, and I liked the Balti overall (didn't like the MM though).

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles
50 minutes ago, TitanicMan2 said:

I wouldn't FXP my way to Des Moines over the Buffalo. It's a challenging ship, and she plays a bit differently than the rest of the line, but I've enjoyed the experience. I haven't found spotter plane very useful compared to radar - the extra range is really only helpful for slow targets being spotted by teammates, and I prefer to play close to my team's DDs. However, I've never gone full Yuro spec either.

Edited by yungpanda

Members
2,107 posts
509 battles
8 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

Definitely don't skip the Buffalo -- I'm only about 10 or so games in and that 12 gun AP broadside is insanely devastating to cruisers and BBs alike. You have to play at range to start, but once you see how the match is unfolding you can easily push with it being surprisingly tanky. I went with the range mod -- having 18km range really makes this ship capable of harassing the hell out of anything at the beginning of the match from relative safety.

It's better than the Baltimore by a country mile, and I liked the Balti overall (didn't like the MM though).

THIS....
And also.... you should get the HINDENBURG,,,, it's WAY more fun....and the ROON is not nearly as bad a tier 9 ship as the other cruisers...

Members
2,163 posts
5,989 battles

I've actually had a good experience with Buffalo.  I was grinding Baltimore at T9 when the US Cruiser line restructuring took place and, compared to the T9 Baltimore, I found her to be sturdier and with a heavier punch.  My winrate in her is about 67% which is a good deal better than it was with the T9 Baltimore.

At the present, Buffalo remains my only T9 cruiser though I have moved past her to the Des Moines.  Just as a personal preference, I'm actually more comfortable with the Buffalo and I was hoping someday WG would make a T9 Ranked so I could play her there.  

I do however seem to be a minority of one on this thread so maybe there's something I'm missing or something about Buffalo that fits my play style better than most.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
2,787 posts
9,435 battles
Just now, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I've actually had a good experience with Buffalo.  I was grinding Baltimore at T9 when the US Cruiser line restructuring took place and, compared to the T9 Baltimore, I found her to be sturdier and with a heavier punch.  My winrate in her is about 67% which is a good deal better than it was with the T9 Baltimore.

At the present, Buffalo remains my only T9 cruiser though I have moved past her to the Des Moines.  Just as a personal preference, I'm actually more comfortable with the Buffalo and I was hoping someday WG would make a T9 Ranked so I could play her there.  

I do however seem to be a minority of one on this thread so maybe there's something I'm missing or something about Buffalo that fits my play style better than most.

It may be because buffalo is a little less allergic to Battleship AP than Des Moines. Des Moines has an Xbox Huge Citadel that sits way above the waterline extending from the Front of No.1 Turret all the way Behind No.3 Turret. Buffalo's Citadel by contrast, is only above the waterline from under the forward 5 inch mount to the aft 5 inch mount, so DM's above water citadel is nearly twice the length of Buffallo's. The Magazine citadel for Buffalo is way underwater , and the two forward Barbette's help protect the ship from nose in citadels, while the two rear Barbette's help protect the rear citadel. DM certainly has the firepower advantage, but she dies to BB AP faster.

[SIDE]
Members
2,368 posts

Very good and worth-ish of old Baltimore’s slot. Just don’t going swinging that delicate hind end around unless you are sure nobody aiming at you. Those turret s in back should be considered ornaments first and weapons next.

Members
83 posts
4,216 battles

Its a good ship, and does very well when played correctly. Standard CA rules apply, play near larger targets, don't be the lead ship, AP on broadsides, HE on angles. USN 203s are good shells, the only downside is the reload and the flight time. She's ok at Kiting if needed. She doesn't do anything great (expect when landing those APs on a broadside CA), but shes not horrible and anything either. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,303 posts
18,624 battles

Buffalo at Tier IX with the recent reload buff made her good.  I adored Old IX Baltimore and the current Buffalo that with MBM3 goes down to 10.6 second reloads, she's very good, better than the former Tier IX USN CA ever was.  She can play bow on heavy like Baltimore and Des Moines if needed.  And if it's safe enough, use the back 2 turrets for 12x203mm firepower at 10.6 second reloads.

The version of Buffalo before the buff, with the old 13 second base reload was very bad, IMO.

The nice thing is that this makes Buffalo part of the natural, High Tier USN CA Progression.  Baltimore -> Buffalo -> Des Moines are now consistent in their gameplay and Buffalo is no longer the odd ship.  You can take your gameplay experience from Baltimore and apply them to both Buffalo and then Des Memes and be right at home.  Just like how IJN CAs have a natural progression in their playstyle.  Even better, the sequence of ships in the High Tier USN CAs now actually feel like you're getting into a better ship.  Before, Old Buffalo felt worse than VIII Baltimore.  Not anymore, Buffalo is just better now.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles

its a very good ship. what I've noticed is that lot of people don't want take the time to learn it so it gets a bad rep. (same can be said for the Omaha and the Colorado too, people rush and their performance suffers ) 

design wise its basically a bigger, all around, better Cleveland, built on an elongated Alaska class hull.:fish_book: 

[-K-]
Members
6,454 posts
10,713 battles
2 hours ago, TitanicMan2 said:

I only have 241k right now and I recently ran out of the special signal for free XP

Capture.PNG

Members
842 posts
3,790 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Capture.PNG

No, not Papa Papa, I think it's the one called "Ourobros" or something like that. The one that gives +777% Free XP.

I have lots of Papa Papa

Alpha Tester
3,803 posts
4,524 battles
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Buffalo at Tier IX with the recent reload buff made her good.  I adored Old IX Baltimore and the current Buffalo that with MBM3 goes down to 10.6 second reloads, she's very good, better than the former Tier IX USN CA ever was.  She can play bow on heavy like Baltimore and Des Moines if needed.  And if it's safe enough, use the back 2 turrets for 12x203mm firepower at 10.6 second reloads.

The version of Buffalo before the buff, with the old 13 second base reload was very bad, IMO.

I can't really take the claim that buffing a ship from 13 to 12 second reloads takes it from very bad to good seriously. It's a less than 10% increase in sustained firepower, and in more practical terms a 13 second fire rate will typically only require a few more seconds of exposure time to get the same amount of damage. For firing timeframes of around a minute, it's less than a 40% chance that the lower firing time will get you an extra shot.

[-K-]
Members
6,454 posts
10,713 battles
18 minutes ago, TitanicMan2 said:

No, not Papa Papa, I think it's the one called "Ourobros" or something like that. The one that gives +777% Free XP.

I have lots of Papa Papa

Your best bet is Santa Crates then, if you're willing to spend a bit of $$$.

[GOOF]
Members
252 posts
4,183 battles

Home.  So come visit and have some real chicken wings

Really what's been said, some real HE power. Buffalo is real easy citadel from those oh so often t10 guns so stay back until the time is right, mid game, and unleash the Buffalo.....what too much Frank's hot sauce on that pun?

The worst party about Buffalo is facing t10 who make t9 a pain.ph and the weather

Beat part is the power she puts out

Aerial_photo_of_Buffalo,_NY_Skyline.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
20,303 posts
18,624 battles
30 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

I can't really take the claim that buffing a ship from 13 to 12 second reloads takes it from very bad to good seriously. It's a less than 10% increase in sustained firepower, and in more practical terms a 13 second fire rate will typically only require a few more seconds of exposure time to get the same amount of damage. For firing timeframes of around a minute, it's less than a 40% chance that the lower firing time will get you an extra shot.

A very sore point, one that was repeated with her was the old reload.  A major problem Buffalo had was that when she was forced to fight bow on, her rate of fire was too d*mn slow.  It wasn't just me.  It was everyone trying her out.  Baltimore in both her old IX and current VIII versions were a lot more comfortable to play because of the roughly 10 second reload.  Buffalo when forced to fight like that was real awkward.  You were waiting extra for those guns to reload.  Now with 10.6 seconds, it's a lot more comfortable.  You can take the exact same Baltimore playstyle and directly apply it to Buffalo and she'll be better.  When opportunity to fire all 12 guns shows up, even better.  Better than both VIII and old IX versions of Baltimore with the 9 max guns.  You're flinging solid USN CA HE or the hard hitting SHS AP.

I loved Old IX Baltimore.  When Buffalo came to replace it, I didn't like it at all.  The ROF was the biggest problem, now that's no longer the case.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
3,803 posts
4,524 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A very sore point, one that was repeated with her was the old reload.  A major problem Buffalo had was that when she was forced to fight bow on, her rate of fire was too d*mn slow.  It wasn't just me.  It was everyone trying her out.  Baltimore in both her old IX and current VIII versions were a lot more comfortable to play because of the roughly 10 second reload.  Buffalo when forced to fight like that was real awkward.  You were waiting extra for those guns to reload.  Now with 10.6 seconds, it's a lot more comfortable.  You can take the exact same Baltimore playstyle and directly apply it to Buffalo and she'll be better.  When opportunity to fire all 12 guns shows up, even better.  Better than both VIII and old IX versions of Baltimore with the 9 max guns.  You're flinging solid USN CA HE or the hard hitting SHS AP.

I loved Old IX Baltimore.  When Buffalo came to replace it, I didn't like it at all.  The ROF was the biggest problem, now that's no longer the case.

I guess if you love fighting bow on I can understand it. But fighting bow on is pretty awful in either ship- it's not like 27mm of plating helps that much at tier IX where 406mm guns are everywhere. Fundamentally to me both Buffalo and Baltimore are about using their powerful AP and reasonable detection to ambush other cruisers or corner them. USN CA cannot compete with the other lines at HE throwing, so sustained firepower is less important. Buffalo's 12 guns make her initial broadside much more powerful. I can kind of understand it if you're fighting another USN CA, where the better turret angles and more firepower bow-on could help you avoid their AP, but against other cruiser lines you can get away with turning in and out to expose the aft guns.

Sign in to follow this