You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JukeBoxxHero

Upcoming Snowflakes

28 comments in this topic

[ADR]
Members
59 posts
10,936 battles

I'm trying to get my ships set for the upcoming snowflakes event.  Buying back the ships that I've sold while moving up the tech trees.  My question is will there be a difference in reward for random versus coop?  That will affect how much I need to train some of the captain of ships I never sail.  The announcement says the snowflakes will only set once per update, but also says the snowflakes will only last until the next version.  So does that mean there will only be one snowflake per ship, and that's it?  If that is the case I'm finding it a difficult decision to buy back my two T9 carriers. 

[WOLF9]
Members
9,414 posts
4,243 battles

No.  No (additional) difference in rewards for battle modes.

Your carriers would earn X Steel each per update.  That seems like a lot of Credits for a relatively small amount of Steel.  Your decision.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-0712/#snowflakes

Edited by iDuckman

[NG-NL]
Members
5,823 posts
9,443 battles

Looks I'll need to get out my Missouri and begin the credit farming to rebuy ships, esp. 9s like Roon. It's actually neat of WG to make the rewards same in co-op and Random because T7+ Random, you pretty much need to have a 14-point captain minimum or be at a serious disadvantage.

Which reminds me, Premium ships included in the Snowflake event? I just got 4 more this week, 3 from Santa crates and 1 w/ Coal.

[ADR]
Members
59 posts
10,936 battles

It'll cost me about 45m to rebuy all my carriers that I've sold.  About 1/3 of my total.  Plus 3 more port slots than what I have.  I know I'll re-coop some of the cost after the event by the selling of the ships again.  How many updates (resets) of the snowflakes are we looking at during the time frame of the event?  Just one?

Other than the one ranked season which I only got a few other steel, this will be my only chance to get some until the new campaign comes out.  Even then, I just assume it'll only be enough to compliment my coal with conversion.

Edited by r0s1w3d2stnlc

[WOLF9]
Members
9,414 posts
4,243 battles
20 minutes ago, r0s1w3d2stnlc said:

How many updates (resets) of the snowflakes are we looking at during the time frame of the event?  Just one?

We know that there will be 0.7.12, when you get Snowflakes.  We assume that the next update will be 0.8.0, when we get more Snowflakes.  But we don't know when your carriers will go obsolete.  So while it looks like just one, we just don't know for sure.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles
30 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Which reminds me, Premium ships included in the Snowflake event? I just got 4 more this week, 3 from Santa crates and 1 w/ Coal.

Nothing was specified as the opposite, so I believe all ships count. Makes me quite smug having kept my 4 ARP Myoko clones and the Takao :crab:.

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles

@r0s1w3d2stnlc, @neptunes_wrath  @warheart1992  @Chimera2  @Reymu

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

We know that there will be 0.7.12, when you get Snowflakes.  We assume that the next update will be 0.8.0, when we get more Snowflakes.  But we don't know when your carriers will go obsolete.  So while it looks like just one, we just don't know for sure.

The snowflake event runs in patch 7.12, early morning Wed, Dec 19th to early morning Wed, Jan 23rd is looking to be the run time for patch 7.12. When patch 7.12 drops, tech tree ships T5 or T6 and up will get a snowflake as will all premium ships. If you unlock and purchase a new ship, you will get a snowflake for that new ship. As of right now, it appears that playing any battle, except Training and Clan Battles, will knock off the snowflake and you will get some amount of coal and steel. The requirement to play a battle *MAY* or *MAY NOT* change. The PTS amounts rewarded *MAY* or *MAY NOT* be the amounts handed out on the live server. This means that steel rewards *MAY NOT* start at T8. You can only knock off a snowflake from a ship once. The event ends on patch 8.0, which looks to be early morning, Wed, Jan 23rd.

I highly, HIGHLY suggest that you play out the battle and not start a battle and bail out back to port. When this year's Anniversary event was handing out SCs for every T10 that played a battle, someone did just that and had a dozen or more AFKs by ending early (before you are sunk.) That person reported that they had went through pink to orange and had a LARGE number of battles to play in co-op only to wash off the orange penalty.

Here is the text from the Dev bulletin; https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-0712/#snowflakes

Snowflakes!
New Year: a time of miracles! And what could be more perfect for the New Year's festivities than a gift that can make you smile? That's where “Snowflakes” comes into play!

It’s a new festive special event that’s set to last throughout Update 0.7.12. You are probably well aware by now that your first win of the day with each ship scores an XP bonus, right? “Snowflakes” is a bonus you can claim the same way, but only once per update.

febb1a78-f2ee-11e8-836c-d89d6715223c.jpg

To knock a Snowflake off a ship, you need to win a battle of any type, except for Clan and Training Battles. The reward for knocking them off is resources for use in the Arsenal: Coal and Steel. During the Public Test, a victorious battle with Tier VI-VII ships brings you Coal while ships of Tier VIII-X will receive Steel.

We understand that Steel is a valuable resource that is "mined" in Clan and Ranked Battles in order to get rare ships. But since adding it to the game, we have received many requests to make it more accessible, as not all players have the opportunity to play in the competitive modes efficiently enough or on a regular basis. The events we mentioned above are designed to fire up the New Year celebrations and give you a chance to obtain valuable rewards—and Steel! However, it doesn't mean we are planning to offer such specials on a regular basis.

Please note that the attached rewards and conditions for "collected Snowflakes" during the Public Test may differ substantially compared to the live servers.

I strongly believe the "once an update" right above the picture is a translation error. This is not planned to be a common event and two sentences before that phrase, the Snowflake event is said to be "throughout Update 7.12". Patch 7.12 is expected to be 5 weeks long, because the In the Name of His Highness campaign (4 Directives total, one dropping per week) to earn PEF is 5 weeks long. So for those with lots of ships, I highly recommend playing in co-op if all you need is a battle. Please, just fight out the battle instead of yolo'ing, as the are battles almost always fast, taking 5-10 minutes to play on average. Co-op 5 minute battles are fairly common.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,722 posts
20,718 battles
2 hours ago, r0s1w3d2stnlc said:

I'm trying to get my ships set for the upcoming snowflakes event.  Buying back the ships that I've sold while moving up the tech trees.  My question is will there be a difference in reward for random versus coop?  That will affect how much I need to train some of the captain of ships I never sail.  The announcement says the snowflakes will only set once per update, but also says the snowflakes will only last until the next version.  So does that mean there will only be one snowflake per ship, and that's it?  If that is the case I'm finding it a difficult decision to buy back my two T9 carriers. 

None that was announced. I would advise against buying upgrades and modules on ships you do not plan on keeping. You can get a win easy enough with a stock ship and a zero point captain in co-op. With carriers it may be more difficult without a 10 pointer and upgrade modules, it all depends on how many credits you have banked. 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I highly, HIGHLY suggest that you play out the battle and not start a battle and bail out back to port. When this year's Anniversary event was handing out SCs for every T10 that played a battle, someone did just that and had a dozen or more AFKs by ending early (before you are sunk.) That person reported that they had went through pink to orange and had a LARGE number of battles to play in co-op only to wash off the orange penalty.

Here is the text from the Dev bulletin; https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-0712/#snowflakes

I strongly believe the "once an update" right above the picture is a translation error. This is not planned to be a common event and two sentences before that phrase, the Snowflake event is said to be "throughout Update 7.12". Patch 7.12 is expected to be 5 weeks long, because the In the Name of His Highness campaign (4 Directives total, one dropping per week) to earn PEF is 5 weeks long. So for those with lots of ships, I highly recommend playing in co-op if all you need is a battle. Please, just fight out the battle instead of yolo'ing, as the are battles almost always fast, taking 5-10 minutes to play on average. Co-op 5 minute battles are fairly common.

Thank you for the announcement and information;I'm sure that even  if the forums are  filled with PSAs on playing and not bailing, we will still get quite a bit of whining by people trying to skip and be smarta$$es.

As for the steel in general three things remain to be seen. The actual steel payout on the live server for snowflakes, the normal campaign steel reward, and the pricing and payout of the Steel Monsters campaign.

[ADR]
Members
59 posts
10,936 battles
15 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The snowflake event runs in patch 7.12, early morning Wed, Dec 19th to early morning Wed, Jan 23rd is looking to be the run time for patch 7.12. When patch 7.12 drops, tech tree ships T5 or T6 and up will get a snowflake as will all premium ships.

T5?  I was to understand it was T6-TX?

nm I see where you said "or"  my bad for not reading carefully.

Edited by r0s1w3d2stnlc

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Thank you for the announcement and information;I'm sure that even  if the forums are  filled with PSAs on playing and not bailing, we will still get quite a bit of whining by people trying to skip and be smarta$$es.

As for the steel in general three things remain to be seen. The actual steel payout on the live server for snowflakes, the normal campaign steel reward, and the pricing and payout of the Steel Monsters campaign.

Yep, the how much steel question is the big one right now.

I've seen some estimates for the PEF campaign having 4 Directives per week and the thing being 4 weeks long, but that is what the Dev bulletin says. There will be ONE Stage of 4 Directives and one Directive will drop each week, with the 5th week being a catch up week to work on all the Directives at once. There will be 10-11 Missions in each Directive, so I would not be surprised to see that you may need 6-9 Missions to complete a Directive. I also would not be surprised to see one of the Missions each Directive requiring PEF to complete, like how the DoY campaign worked last year. There will be Christmas crates, not Santa Crates, as a reward for the two PEF campaigns. Completing the timed Collection, most likely ends patch 8.0, will give a Santa crate as well as an alternate PEF perma-camo.

3 minutes ago, r0s1w3d2stnlc said:

T5?  I was to understand it was T6-TX?

nm I see where you said "or"  my bad for not reading carefully.

NP, the dev blog on Facebook said T5 tech tree ships and up and the PTS is T6 tech tree ships and up. Not sure which it will be yet, but planning for T6 would be wise as WG may not include T5. 

Personally, I wish WG would include coal for all the Tech Tree ships T2 and up. Start off by giving 50 coal at T2 and work up from there or something like that. @Pigeon_of_War, would you pass that request along please?

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

NP, the dev blog on Facebook said T5 tech tree ships and up and the PTS is T6 tech tree ships and up. Not sure which it will be yet, but planning for T6 would be wise as WG may not include T5. 

Personally, I wish WG would include coal for all the Tech Tree ships T2 and up. Start off by giving 50 coal at T2 and work up from there or something like that. @Pigeon_of_War would you pass that request along please?

If I'm not wrong, on the test server you start with Tier VI. That could explain why you earn snowflakes from tier VI instead of V.

In addition  afaik dev blog mentioned premium ships under Tier V would also get snowflakes.

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If I'm not wrong, on the test server you start with Tier VI. That could explain why you earn snowflakes from tier VI instead of V.

In addition  afaik dev blog mentioned premium ships under Tier V would also get snowflakes.

Both the Dev blog and Dev bulletin said that premium ships would get snowflakes. The PTS can start at different levels, so I'm still not sure which they will go with, T5 or T6.

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles
15 hours ago, Reymu said:

Looks I'll need to get out my Missouri and begin the credit farming to rebuy ships, esp. 9s like Roon. It's actually neat of WG to make the rewards same in co-op and Random because T7+ Random, you pretty much need to have a 14-point captain minimum or be at a serious disadvantage.

T5+ for tech tree and T2+ for Premium is what they said. Some will get Coal and some Steel. Depends on tier.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,798 posts
9,640 battles
15 hours ago, Chimera2 said:

What did you call me you little..

Oh right the event.

I can’t help but wonder if WG’s selection of “snowflakes” for the event name is a subtle expression of their opinion of the clamor for more Steel, rants about exclusivity of the Stalingrad, etc.

They could have called it “rust”- knock the rust off of ships that sit in port and take them into battle, knock the rust off and get steel, etc.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
32 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I can’t help but wonder if WG’s selection of “snowflakes” for the event name is a subtle expression of their opinion of the clamor for more Steel, rants about exclusivity of the Stalingrad, etc.

They could have called it “rust”- knock the rust off of ships that sit in port and take them into battle, knock the rust off and get steel, etc.

It could be something as simple as the fact that for Russia, geographic North America and most of geographic Europe, Christmas is in winter. The alternative explanation is viable but impossible to prove or disprove with any certainty.

@Kizarvexis, I am pretty sure they will have some PEF-exclusive missions. They did it for North Cape, they did it for the RN arc (at least until they could reliably count on people having the ship), and on the PTS they loaned out Shinonome in Prinz's place.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
14 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

None that was announced. I would advise against buying upgrades and modules on ships you do not plan on keeping. You can get a win easy enough with a stock ship and a zero point captain in co-op. With carriers it may be more difficult without a 10 pointer and upgrade modules, it all depends on how many credits you have banked. 

I took the Nicholas out last night (I'd bought her before it was clarified exactly which ships would get steel), sank four ships and did nearly 100K damage. Zero point captain, no modules, no upgrades, no camo. Took home 1000XP after bonuses. Glorious.

With carriers it depends on exactly who's in the game with you. I got at least one Bogue game last night that was all bots except me; the other was reasonably full of humans. Bots don't answer your calls for assistance and don't always chase the most appropriate targets, unless they're red. :Smile_trollface:

[WMD]
Members
825 posts
7,065 battles

It could also have been decided upon in Russian with no thought as to the colloquial meaning of snowflake in English.

It's pretty common in English for words to have colloquial meanings in some regions that make no sense or aren't used elsewhere. Using different languages just makes the issue more likely.

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles
1 minute ago, VeatherVitch said:

It could also have been decided upon in Russian with no thought as to the colloquial meaning of snowflake in English.

It's pretty common in English for words to have colloquial meanings in some regions that make no sense or aren't used elsewhere. Using different languages just makes the issue more likely.

Language barrier and different way of thinking in different countries explains a lot of WG vs NA player base issues LOL.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,722 posts
20,718 battles
49 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

LOL I kind of wondered about this as well. Rust would have made more sense logically but it is a Christmas event so maybe a snowflake works better? Got to admit it works easily both ways so if they intended to poke fun, it works. 

[AKN]
[AKN]
Members
4 posts
14,254 battles

Damn it's going to be a lot of coop for me to play all 273 ships. Kind of wish I hadn't sold the arp ships now.

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles
7 minutes ago, eslavik1 said:

Damn it's going to be a lot of coop for me to play all 273 ships. Kind of wish I hadn't sold the arp ships now.

Only T5+ tech tree and all premiums. So the T1-T4 tiers won't matter for Snowflakes.