Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xAnchobi

PT boats

28 comments in this topic

Members
36 posts
413 battles

We are getting submarines soon, so might as well add PT boats.

Could you imagine? You are in a cruiser and doing very well, 20k dmg and 3 kills, and a PT boat comes along and sinks you.

PT boats are really fast and hard to hit so but have very little HP

they can also cap points, since literally no one in this entire player base doesn't.

E-boat time 

• Boring 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles

Why should we add a boat when currently the DD's not only fill the same role, but do them better?:Smile_sceptic: 

[SYN]
Members
2,782 posts
9,427 battles

Warthunder does PT boats pretty well, so if you want to play PT boats, they have them. Just watch out for the flak barges.

Members
111 posts
16,724 battles

We already have PTs (Schnellboots) in the Dunkirk scenario. There could be US PTs and UK MTBs for other scenarios. I don't see where they would fit in the main game since with their low HP they would be Tier 0. Although a Ranked Sprint with PTs only might be fun.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles
2 minutes ago, ET1_Allen said:

We already have PTs (Schnellboots) in the Dunkirk scenario. There could be US PTs and UK MTBs for other scenarios. I don't see where they would fit in the main game since with their low HP they would be Tier 0. Although a Ranked Sprint with PTs only might be fun.

IJN also had some heavy PT boats that were interesting.

also, why hasn't anyone suggested "monitor" class ships? I know they're restricted to coast lines but some of these things have some really big guns!:cap_wander_2:

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
9 minutes ago, ryuukei8569 said:

Warthunder does PT boats pretty well, so if you want to play PT boats, they have them. Just watch out for the flak barges.

War Thunder, BAH! I wouldn't play that game again if they paid me to do so.

Edited by ReddNekk

[SIMP]
Members
1,243 posts
1 minute ago, ET1_Allen said:

Well technically the S-boats in the Dunkirk scenario are Tier 1 DDs.

But I'm with the OP. I'd love to see some PT boat (MTB, E-boat, etc.) action in WoWs. I suggested using them like how CVs work with a Support Ship operating a number of PT boats (like aircraft squadrons). That way you could have many Tiers of playability with them depending on types (early war, late war) and numbers.  

Members
745 posts
13,083 battles

Historically PT boats did well against other PT boats and barges. There was the occasional success like at Surigao Strait, but in general larger warships were able to ward off PT boats easily. With the enhanced accuracy of this game it would be made even more easy.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,276 posts
18,607 battles

24 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Historically PT boats did well against other PT boats and barges. There was the occasional success like at Surigao Strait, but in general larger warships were able to ward off PT boats easily. With the enhanced accuracy of this game it would be made even more easy.

The IJN had tremendous problems with PT Boats.  Not saying it's an easy time for PT Boats, but they caused all kinds of havoc on the Japanese even long before Surigao Strait.  Even during the fighting for Guadalcanal, PT Boats emerged and endangered IJN operations with all the "Tokyo Express" runs. 

I remember in "Japanese Destroyer Captain" that Capt Hara mentioned Japan was getting onboard PT Boat-like vessels, but it was 1944-1945 and way too late.  On top of that, due to problems with industry, resources, they were using weak, underpowered engines, often from old aircraft engines that were obsolete.  Hara was called in to assess some of these prototypes and he wasn't too happy.  Weak engines, slow.  Nothing at all like the American PT Boats.  The designers were there but they said that was all they could work with.  Japan had nothing left to even give half way decent engines for these new boats.  He was supposed to be training late war, new sailors to crew these boats for the last ditch defense of Japan.  Resources were poor for training, the boats were sh*t, on top of training some of these guys as volunteers for suicide attacks.  He got into a phase of heavy drinking...

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
Members
20,276 posts
18,607 battles

Also, Destroyers in Operation Dynamo see a lot of Schnellboots.  It takes 1-2 shots to destroy them.  Lord help you if there's a RU DD around.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,485 posts
5,594 battles

PT boats always seems to come up. And the people making the suggestion never seem to be able to present a case on how they would actually fit, and be viable in the current gameplay.

Members
5,505 posts
6,210 battles
14 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

PT boats always seems to come up. And the people making the suggestion never seem to be able to present a case on how they would actually fit, and be viable in the current gameplay.

It's the same for subs, yet, look where WG is taking the game.

I just hope WG is sensible and keeps them out of random battles, where they're extremely likely to be a much larger headache and balancing nightmare than CVs have been.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,485 posts
5,594 battles
9 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

It's the same for subs, yet, look where WG is taking the game.

I just hope WG is sensible and keeps them out of random battles, where they're extremely likely to be a much larger headache and balancing nightmare than CVs have been.

Truly something to fear, considering that WG haven't got the faintest idea of how to balance CVs and never have. They've spent five years trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and from what is being said about the rework, they are going to need a lot longer

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,367 posts

E-Boats are already in the game, play the Dunkirk operation, you'll change your tune when you realize how fragile they are

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1 hour ago, ryuukei8569 said:

Yeah, WT does Higgins boats up through DDs and a single cruiser as the top thing in the list. US, German, Soviet, and soon, Brit ships  If you want small boats, you can try them there pretty well.  

[SIMP]
Members
1,243 posts
23 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

E-Boats are already in the game, play the Dunkirk operation, you'll change your tune when you realize how fragile they are

Well to be honest we have airplanes in the game and they are fragile too.

Speaking of their fragility, I really don't know why AA factors don't work on the Schnellboats at Dunkirk - they should (as well as every other 'PT' type boat) - because even .50 cal machine guns would tear up these plywood wonders.

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles

They could do what they had floated way back in the day for this game (back in the days of buoyancy meters and lead indicators and premium ships being classes that didn't fit in the tech trees) and have you control a small platoon of PT boats.  Think of controlling them as a formation that you steered like planes in the CV rework.  This in effect gives them a little extra HP and firepower.  Had it survived with destroyers it might have helped reduce the need for the fire meta and been a good thing to tweak for balance - plus removed the whole "there should be more destroyers realistically" argument that pops up.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,276 posts
18,607 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

A single DD in that operation will wipe out 6 of those things in less than 30 seconds if the DD player has a clue.  1-2 shots a piece.  RU DDs with their excellent shell behavior, or a USN DD like Sims Tommy Gunning those things to death and with lightning fast turret traverse, kill them in short order.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,367 posts
31 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A single DD in that operation will wipe out 6 of those things in less than 30 seconds if the DD player has a clue.  1-2 shots a piece.  RU DDs with their excellent shell behavior, or a USN DD like Sims Tommy Gunning those things to death and with lightning fast turret traverse, kill them in short order.

Haida isn't too bad if you know where to lead your shots. But let's say they add them to the game, okay, high tier battle; A torpedo boat charges my Republique... it can fire the equivalent of two Tier VI DD's worth of firepower every two seconds up to a range of 12km... accurately...   I frequently get 150-200 ribbons per match for secondary hits...    a torpedo boat wouldn't stand a chance.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,276 posts
18,607 battles
14 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Haida isn't too bad if you know where to lead your shots. But let's say they add them to the game, okay, high tier battle; A torpedo boat charges my Republique... it can fire the equivalent of two Tier VI DD's worth of firepower every two seconds up to a range of 12km... accurately...   I frequently get 150-200 ribbons per match for secondary hits...    a torpedo boat wouldn't stand a chance.

Manual Secondary BBs with those crazy ranges like Republique, Bismarck, or the insane reload of Alsace against those boats... [Shudder]

Sign in to follow this