You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

So, are pens for 0 damage supposed to be getting worse?

23 comments in this topic

[DNGRZ]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,749 battles

IDK about you guys, but I have been seeing a LOT more 0 damage pens lately. Even had one yesterday in the cit area of a CA. 

But I can't tell if I am just noticing them more because of dispersion seemingly getting worse, or they are actually getting worse. 

Members
68 posts
2,951 battles

I dunno, but I have gotten upwards of 5 pens on a single salvo without any damage done to the enemy. This was firing on a full hp enemy ship too, so there was no saturation of any kind either. Rather frustrating but what can you do about it.

Edited by Die95
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,449 posts
18,810 battles

It's funny you guys are complaining about 0 Damage Penetrations.  These are due to your shots hitting modules like turrets, AA / Secondary gun mounts, etc.  WG was about to implement a change where damage done to modules do actual Ship HP Damage, and then you clowns on these boards WHINED HARD.  WG backed off on the change.

Now you clowns are back to complaining about 0 Damage Penetrations.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[SIM]
Members
3,768 posts
6,254 battles

I’ve noticed a lot more of them lately as well. At least now I understand why they’re happening, thanks to Modulepengate.

[-BMV-]
Members
1,227 posts
5,901 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's funny you guys are complaining about 0 Damage Penetrations.  These are due to your shots hitting modules like turrets, AA / Secondary gun mounts, etc.  WG was about to implement a change where damage done to modules do actual Ship HP Damage, and then you clowns on these boards WHINED HARD.  WG backed off on the change.

I think most people were for those changes, until they found out this included torpedo bulges.

[KRAK]
Members
2,686 posts
17,356 battles
3 hours ago, mustangman6579 said:

IDK about you guys, but I have been seeing a LOT more 0 damage pens lately. Even had one yesterday in the cit area of a CA. 

But I can't tell if I am just noticing them more because of dispersion seemingly getting worse, or they are actually getting worse. 

Believe this only happens when you hit a module, not positive however as I have never had this happen to me once.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,823 posts
9,443 battles

Problem was this would've turned even torp bulges into AP damage pinatas, so even angling wouldn't be as effective.

Just a ribbon for AP destroying a module would've been sufficient.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,449 posts
18,810 battles
8 hours ago, AquaSquirrel said:

I think most people were for those changes, until they found out this included torpedo bulges.

It wasn't just torpedo bulges.  It includes every module that can get knocked out / disabled.  Main Battery, Secondary, AA Guns, etc.  Guys whined before, "I hit someone's 40mm Bofors with my shell and he suffered zero damage!"  Well, WG went and fixed that, and Modules were to take hits and the target lose HP as a result.  Then, "That's not good, now I'm vulnerable!"

Well of course!  That's what happens when you want damage to modules take away from the ship's HP!

Idiots thought of how cool it would be to do damage via people's modules, but never for once thought about how that could be applied against them.

[LEGIT]
Members
1,011 posts
7,853 battles

Heres your answer to 0 pen dmg... Its just with the recent AP shell tweeks it got more frequent then before

PS> disregard the first video....

Edited by Poisonous_Lily

[RED2]
Members
1,690 posts
8,495 battles

There are three reasons this can happen.

1 it hits a module and it absorbs the damage. as several people have mentioned

2 it hits a torp bulge, as several people have mentioned

3. the part of the ship is damage saturated. I'm not sure this one is still in the game cause they removed it for torps last patch. Anyway if 50% of ships hp has been sunk one part of the boat, like he superstructure, then it will no longer take damage.  For torps you will still do ten damage even if its saturated.

I really don't know why they don't add a "shot was absorbed" flag. After all the complaint isn't "I hit them and it didn't work." its "Its says it worked but it didn't."

[DDM_]
Members
1,552 posts
4,343 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Shouldn't you see the indicator that you've damaged a module when that happens? I don't see a ton of the zero damage pens but I am seeing more than I ever have in the past. I'd also point out that torpedo bulges are part of the ship and shouldn't be taking module damage much as they aren't "damaged" now when hit by a torpedo and still provide the same reduction on following torpedo strikes. 

Edited by R_Razor

Alpha Tester
777 posts
1,515 battles
58 minutes ago, Poisonous_Lily said:

Heres your answer to 0 pen dmg... Its just with the recent AP shell tweeks it got more frequent then before

PS> disregard the first video....

Doesn't explain why pens will do 0 damage at full HP targets, when they do not hit any modules and the shells go through torpedo protection and through casemate armor. Or, there's additional information not being sent to the user on why exactly the pens did 0 damage, like a ribbon saying "Shell penetrated the outer layer of armor, but the deeper layers of armor mitigated the shell". Something along the lines of that... which wouldn't that fall into "Non-Penetration"?

Edited by Ephemeric

Members
376 posts
5 battles

Stop shooting AA guns! /s

No it's not getting worse, no it's not getting better, no it's not even a god damned problem. If wargaming wanted to 'solve' it all they'd have to do is have full pens that don't register for damage be displayed as shatters, no more no less. 

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,011 posts
7,853 battles
11 hours ago, Ephemeric said:

Doesn't explain why pens will do 0 damage at full HP targets, when they do not hit any modules and the shells go through torpedo protection and through casemate armor. Or, there's additional information not being sent to the user on why exactly the pens did 0 damage, like a ribbon saying "Shell penetrated the outer layer of armor, but the deeper layers of armor mitigated the shell". Something along the lines of that... which wouldn't that fall into "Non-Penetration"?

Check The hitpoint video I posted . Cycle to the 4:35 min mark and listen carefully.  IT clearly says that if you "HIT THE DMG SATURATED PART OF THE SHIP IT WILL REGISTER AS PEN BUT YOU WONT INFLICT ANY DAMAGE".. The reason you guys sometimes get the pen with 0 dmg is because of this mechanic.

[TOY]
Members
65 posts
3,780 battles

i got 3 the other day in one salvo shooting from my monty ...your telling me a 40mm gun tub soaked up the damage from 3 16" shells? i was shooting at a full HP NC ..now if they bounced or shattered then i can understand that ..but 3 full pen 0 damage in one salvo ..really ..i mean..REALLY! 

Alpha Tester
777 posts
1,515 battles
1 hour ago, Poisonous_Lily said:

Check The hitpoint video I posted . Cycle to the 4:35 min mark and listen carefully.  IT clearly says that if you "HIT THE DMG SATURATED PART OF THE SHIP IT WILL REGISTER AS PEN BUT YOU WONT INFLICT ANY DAMAGE".. The reason you guys sometimes get the pen with 0 dmg is because of this mechanic.

That applies to already damaged targets, not 100% HP targets doing 0 damage after pens when they previously were not shot at yet, which is what I've been noticing.

for example;

Target A: 50100 HP / 50100 HP

3 shells hit the target: 1 Overpen, 2 penetration, no module hit indicators anywhere, grand total of 1030 damage inflicted (assuming it was from the overpen).  If this was applied to a ship that was already beaten up pretty badly and already below 25% total HP remaining, then yes, that would make sense. But, to 100% unscathed targets? 

Edited by Ephemeric

[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
3,082 battles

The problem is that the hit descriptions aren't accurate. We're told a shot penetrated, then told it did 0 damage. All that needs to be fixed is some accurate descriptions added, like they did for shatters and bounces. When you get the incap message, you can guess what happened. But sometimes you don't even get that, and it makes the shot look like a 0 damage pen, which it probably was not. Of all the mechanics and ballistics issues in the game that need to be fixed, this isn't one. But some accurate shot reports would be greatly appreciated. 

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,193 battles
On 12/8/2018 at 9:16 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Indeed.

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,016 posts
On 12/8/2018 at 12:47 PM, Die95 said:

I dunno, but I have gotten upwards of 5 pens on a single salvo without any damage done to the enemy. This was firing on a full hp enemy ship too, so there was no saturation of any kind either. Rather frustrating but what can you do about it.

Give me a call when you do 9 full pens and get zero damage. I was testing the Kronstadht in practice range on t10 battleships, and this happened with french and uk line battleships for central aiming at ~4km, the way i can figure it the machine spaced above the citadel, but below the superstructure doesn't have the health to support ap spam.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,449 posts
18,810 battles
15 hours ago, kasag said:

i got 3 the other day in one salvo shooting from my monty ...your telling me a 40mm gun tub soaked up the damage from 3 16" shells? i was shooting at a full HP NC ..now if they bounced or shattered then i can understand that ..but 3 full pen 0 damage in one salvo ..really ..i mean..REALLY! 

This is EXACTLY why I laugh at many of you guys in this game:

On 12/8/2018 at 1:16 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Remember, think about how this can be applied AGAINST YOU.

AA Guns.

Main Battery Turrets.

Secondary Guns.

Torpedo Bulges.

Etc.

All sources of getting damaged by.

When people realized how easy they were going to get damaged via modules, you all started throwing a crazy fit.

Keep in mind, these changes were being tested to specifically to answer you clowns' calls to be able to damage people via modules.  And you guys didn't like it!  Now, 1 month later, you guys forgot all this already and are back to requesting changes that you demanded WG to back off on!

Meanwhile the boys at WG are wondering:

hwVkKHw.gif

I can't take this community seriously at all! :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
863 posts
11,693 battles
On 12/8/2018 at 4:16 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There's a difference between complaining about a change and then having a change put into effect without notice.  I've noticed a LOT of Penetrations for zero damage since the last patch.   I hit a broadside Monty 10km away from my Mass the other day with 6 salvos.  (He was just stupid and sat there.)  I scored 15 penetrations.  Zero cits and zero damage.   Had it happen against numerous other ships too this past week.   Dozens of Pens,,, zero damage.   Much much worse than I've seen before.