You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RockstarScotty

New Player Advice Requested!

21 comments in this topic

[MACO_]
[MACO_]
Members
13 posts
1,304 battles

Hey everyone, RockstarScotty here with a bunch of questions and some observations. 

First off, I have played around 250+ battles, the majority of which have been with T1 Cruisers. My ship of choice there is 'Blackswan'. I have managed to become at least a competent player in that format, but still make bad mistakes from time to time.

I moved up to the 'Weymouth' but have not mastered how to battle with her.

Next, I have the 'Caladon' which I find perplexing. With a 12 point Captain, she is deadly accurate, but can go from full health to sunk from just a single enemy salvo! That's hard to swallow!

Next, I have the 'T-61' DD, which is a fun little ship, but I am trying to learn how to fight with a destroyer.

BTW, I had a frustrating thing happen today: I was fighting an enemy DD from 5k with my T-61, I has down to my last hit points and launched a spread of torps at my adversary just as I blew up. Several seconds after I was dispatched to 'viewer mode' an allied CA appears in the distance in line with my spread. I immediately alerted my ally in harms way to be mindful of my torps. Unfortunately, 1 hit and now I have a 3 game 'pink skirt'. Now, I get it that I fired and it's on me, but how can I be aware of a ship that wasn't even on my map! When I fired, I made sure I was shooting away from any allies and my torps, if they missed, would be traveling away from the general battle. I had no idea a friendly was in that area. If I had, I would never had fired! Now, concerning my friend whom I inadvertently damaged, he was very understanding and said "No problem, craphappens!", but then the game isn't and now I have to be very careful for 3 games - which really shouldn't be a problem, but if 'crapdoes happen' then I am screwed! So, I need to understand:

1) How do I aim & fire torps better? (The tutorials I have found don't seem to help) I will NOT use them again until I can be confident that I will not hit a 'friendly'!

2) How can I protect against a friendly that wasn't even on my map?

I will not use torps again until I get this cleared up!

Back to my stable of ships:

Next ship: 'Atago' - this is my favorite, great combination of speed and firepower. Still learning her, but I have done okay with her. I did have 1 other friendly torp incident, and I thought I had learned from that until today.....

BB 'Oktyabrskaya Revoutsiya' - Lots of firepower, but can't get out of it's own way. My first battle, I took 4 torp hits from an airplane before I even sighted the enemy! Thinking of selling her, but everyone seems to like this ship for some reason. How do you play her???

BB 'KII' - this lumbering beast is tough to handle and I will leave her at port for a while. Even with a 10 point Captain, she turns so slow that she literally eats torps!

BB 'Tirpitz' - Better than KII, she has speed and better maneuverability. Still learning to play BB's.

Sorry for the long post, but I really enjoy this game and want to improve my play!

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Cool 2

[AP]
Members
1,231 posts
13,358 battles

you need to look at minimap

frirndly ships might not be in your field-of-view but is always in your minimap

if a friendly has a risk of turning into your torps, dont launch

[H_]
Members
2,173 posts

I'm not an expert at WoWs....  And yes, if you pull the trigger it's all on you.  The effective range of an excuse if zero meters....  It does happen all of the time.

DD's.  In an active radar environment, "know your enemy" has a special connotation.  Know how far and how long radar lasts.  Then, "fight where the enemy isn't"........  Find a place where your combat power isn't obvious and then exploit that "advantage" (however short that time frame really is....) and then "run like smoke and Oakum"..........and, have a planned way out.

Use the maps and make decisions that support the needs of the ships that carry the combat power for your team....  That sometimes means less for yourself but, in the end, you'll have a better W/L rate.....  Going off on your own is fun but, you'll see less victories overall. 

Premium ship are nice BUT, to learn the game from the inside out, grinding exposes you to so much more.... Grinding is  100% not necessary and if you only have premium ships, that's OK too.....  I learnt a lot more from grinding and I'm still only a potato.

Watch the videos as well..........Situational awareness is life and teams are and cannot be anything else but efficient tools......  Good hunting

Edited by Asym_KS

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles

OP you need to play more tier 4 & 5 before you use those big tier ships. reason I say this is because you'll learn the mechanics in tiers 4 and 5.  by the time you step out of tier 5 you should have around or be close to 1k battles. And through experience will have a pretty good grasp on how to play certain ships. If you want a new player freindly line both the USN and IJN lines are very good in teaching! use the USN for CVs, QQC DDs, light cruisers, and Battleships and the IJN for torpedo DDs, heavy cruisers "CA", and long range Battlships "BB"!

As for torpedoes. "there's no such thing as a friendly torpedo" just check to make sure your risk of hitting allies is low and you'll be fine! mini map helps a lot with this!

check little white mouse's ship reviews on how to play premiums. she gives  a huge amount of data. you can find most her links by going to the WOWS wiki!:fish_aqua:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

I will give you some tips though for the ships I have. 

notes on kii: Kii is for mid to long range combat. if you spec her for AA planes will almost never touch you unless they gang up on you!:cap_rambo:

notes on Tirpitz: they call her the queen of cruisers for a reason. use her manuverabilty to get to key spots early! spec her for secondary play, those secondary guns will eventually rack up the damage!

notes on Oct: this ship is more for veteran players. stick close to your allies for extra aa support and don't use your DC party unless your flooding or have 2-3 fires!

ship suggestion! if you can, get the scharnhorst! she's she's pretty noob friendly and fun to play! brings in good credits too!:Smile_coin: wait til shes on sale. you can probably get her cheep in a week or 2 due to X-mas sales!

If you need help please ask! the WOWS community prides itself in helping others!:cap_look:

• Cool 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
894 posts
13,834 battles

First let me say, welcome to the game!

Some time ago I wrote a post for new players, offering some general advice. Premiums are great, and I have a few myself. But buying premium ships at tiers you have not gained some experience at playing tech-tree ships can be crippling. Each tier can have its own lessons to teach. Jumping too far ahead can make the game very frustrating. My suggestion is to work through the tiers slowly, getting the hang of them a little at a time. Also, once you start playing tier 5 ships or above you no longer have the advantage of protected matchmaking that the low tiers offer.

I also recommend making use of the Modstation to add some things to your game that I find very useful. I really wish I had learned about it much sooner than I did. Things I did not even know existed are now pretty much indispensable to me.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
4,171 posts
15,285 battles
1 hour ago, RockstarScotty said:

1) How do I aim & fire torps better? (The tutorials I have found don't seem to help) I will NOT use them again until I can be confident that I will not hit a 'friendly'!

Right up my allay, my stats dont lie with %18 torp hit ratio ( well it was when I last checked). I recommend for beginners low tier IJN, DDs and the German V-170 for torping. If you feel you have the suicidal spirit the RU DD Derzki for more in your face style torps.

Make sure you have a 10 pt Cpt with PM, AR, TAE, and CE for these ships. Now click on the gears on the mini map and make sure your Detection AND your torp range are selected.

Then practice on your aim on the BBs. Cruisers will move a lot for your skill set I dont recommend sending torps to cruisers. Remember

Your guns suck so only use then when a red ship is low on HP. Only contest caps with cruiser help or any competent back up for that matter,

The tier 3 and 4 IJN DDS along with the v-170 are almost stand alone DDs when not spotted. The enjoy torping alone as long as you're not caught or spotted, if you're spotted your smoke is your ticket out. You can out run no one so obey your concealment and torp ranges to stay alive.

EDIT:

BTW before I forget, NEVER send torps (regardless if your in a DD or cruiser) if there is a friendly if front of you or in your torp cross fire. You're responsible for your mistake always.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
18 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The biggest difference between real life and WoWs is that in RL, you really wanted to cross the T of your opponent. In WoWs, to make the games playable in 20 min, distances are compressed, but gun penetration values are not adjusted to match. Which is a good thing so that you can play out a battle in 20 min instead of hours. So crossing the T in WoWs is an invitation for a salvo to give you lots of citadels.

Most people angle less than 45 degrees to make AP bounces happen more often.  You want them to shoot AP at your armor belt at a shallow enough angle to bounce the shells. Don't go too shallow though as there are overmatch mechanics so that battleship shells don't bounce off of very thin armor, like bow armor.  Here is some wiki articles on gunnery,
 http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration and http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds.

Note, HE shells can not bounce, but explode on contact. Their pen values are based on shell size and a pen factor. The HE pen info detail is in the first wiki article and the usual armor thicknesses is in the second.

Detection is similar to, but different than WoT. See this article for that. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection  I believe going dark is the term that relates to resetting camo in WoT.

You are at account level 12, so are out of newbie protected MM in PvP. One big advantage of WoWs over WoT, is co-op is available all the time. If you are having trouble applying some tactic or learning how some game mechanic works, pop into co-op. It's your team vs bots and is easier to learn in as the bots won't always auto-delete you on your first mistake. You can be WAY more aggressive and make more mistakes in co-op than PvP, so keep that in mind if you swap between the two modes. The bots are predictable in their behavior, so are generally easier to counter than players.

I do recommend playing T5+ in co-op until you get the hang of being bottom tier in a match. Here are the tiers each tier level sees.

T1 only sees T1. Beware, there is a group of T1 players who only play T1 and are very good if you run across some of them.

T2 only sees T2 and T3. You see DDs and Battleships for the first time at this tier.

T3 only sees T2 through T4. You see T4 CVs for the first time here. T3 ships tend to have bad AA.

T4 only sees T3 through T5. This is the last protected MM tier. The tiers after this are +2/-2.

T5 only sees T4 though T7. You can't see T3 as it is protected.

T6 only sees T5 through T8. You can't see T4 as it is protected.

T7 only sees T5 through T9.

T8 only sees T6 through T10.

T9 only sees T7 through T10. Better MM as there is no T11.

T10 only sees T8 through T10. You are always top tier as there is no tier 11.

Since you start seeing ships 2 tiers above you in T5+, I recommend playing co-op vs bots until you are comfortable being down 2 tiers vs bots. Once you are comfortable with that, then go back to PvP to learn to be comfortable vs players. I understand that if you are down 2 tiers in WoT, you are screwed. Not so in WoWs. You can compete and win being bottom tier, you just have to be more careful.

Looks like you got Ishizuchi, Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen for a rental try-out period since you said that they had a timer. Take Ishizuchi into PvP & co-op and try it's paces as T4 is protected MM. Do play Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen in co-op tho, so you can get an idea if you like them. At the end of the rental period, you will be given a chance to buy them if you want. Ishizuchi and Graf Spee are available in the tech tree for doubloons, port slot separate, and all three are in the shop for cash, port slot included. The pricing is the same, just whether or not you need a port slot. Check out LWM reviews below as she is the gold standard on ship reviews. She will also be the first to tell you to not just take her word on it, but to check other reviews as well. There are many YTs who review premium ships.

Port slots are normally priced at 300 doubloons, but periodically, you can get a sale for 150 each. Last Christmas had a 75 each sale and hopefully WG will do it again. Note, the T1 ships are free to buy back if you sell them, so if you need a port slot and don't want to buy one, you can free them up by selling T1 ships.

Cmdr training is not the same as WoT. You can take a DD Cmdr and put him in a CV, you just would want to change the skills to match the ones a CV uses. A Cmdr can only be trained for one ship at a time. To move the Cmdr to a different tech tree ship, you must retrain him. You can put the Cmdr into a premium ship of that nation, without retraining tho. A Cmdr who is retraining has his skills work at 50% or not at all depending on the skill. A Cmdr that is retraining that is put into a premium ship can use the skills at full force.

Let's look at your rental Ishizuchi. Say you start playing the Hashidate and earn enough XP to research the T2 Chikuma CL. You buy it and want to move your Cmdr, say 3 skill points, to the Chikuma. A 3 point Cmdr takes 2,000 Cmdr XP to retrain. (Cmdr XP always equals or exceeds the ship XP you earn from a battle). So you move the Cmdr to the Chikuma and can grind the 2k CmdrXP with the skills at 50% until you get the 2k Cmdr XP and the Cmdr is fully retrained. OR, you can move the Cmdr to the Chikuma to start the retraining. Once the retraining is started, you move the Cmdr to the Ishizuchi. Since the Zucchini is a premium, the Cmdr skills are full force and you earn the 2k Cmdr XP for retraining in the Ishizuchi and then move the Cmdr back to the Chikuma. NOTE, once you start the retraining for Chikuma, the Cmdr forgets all he learned in Hashidate and needs retraining to go back.

There are other ways to speed up Cmdr retraining. You can spend doubloons to instantly retrain. You can spend credits to cut the retraining time in half. You can spend Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP) on retraining as well. The cheapest is to spend the 200k credits and then use ECXP to finish the other half. If you have a 19pt Cmdr, your Cmdr XP is converted to ECXP that can be used on any Cmdr of any nation. There are also events, like the Halloween event, where you get rental ships and 19pt Cmdrs to earn ECXP in that event. Try to take advantage of those if you can. Here is the wiki on Cmdrs.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

Like others have said, we tend to be a friendly bunch, so ask away if you have questions. GL&FS.

I just wrote the above for another new player, so figured I would copy it here rather than rewrite.

@navalpride has good advice for torps.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,953 posts
2,812 battles
2 hours ago, RockstarScotty said:

BB 'Oktyabrskaya Revoutsiya' - Lots of firepower, but can't get out of it's own way. My first battle, I took 4 torp hits from an airplane before I even sighted the enemy! Thinking of selling her, but everyone seems to like this ship for some reason. How do you play her???

BB 'KII' - this lumbering beast is tough to handle and I will leave her at port for a while. Even with a 10 point Captain, she turns so slow that she literally eats torps!

BB 'Tirpitz' - Better than KII, she has speed and better maneuverability. Still learning to play BB's.

In BBs if you are starting your turn after the torpedoes have been spotted it is too late.  As you become more familiar with the game you'll start to learn when to expect torpedoes and turn before hand.  Another trick is to take the Priority Target skill on your captain and if you see the number go from, say, 2 to a 1 and then right back up to a 2 it can be an indicator that a DD player just switched from tracking with guns to his torpedoes and torps may be enroute.

Watch videos by Flamu, iChasegamming and Notser.  Heck, even Mighty Jingles has gotten pretty decent at correct advice even if puts the wrong name to the ships.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
11,729 posts
7,526 battles

Send replays of your games to @Lord_Zath, who will analyse what you are doing and show you what you are doing wrong and what to do instead. He has helped me immensely over the last year. Check out his YouTube channel. A lot of my mistakes are immortalized there.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,324 posts
17,187 battles

o/

Just had a great replay stream today!  I stream live on Saturdays (or Sundays) 1-3pm CST and post replays to YouTube afterwards...  twitch.tv/Lord_Zath and youtube.com/Lord_Zath

And don't let @Ensign_Cthulhu mislead you...  plenty of his epic moments are immortalized there, too :)

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,303 posts
18,624 battles

When I was new and dabbling in DDs, I was getting a lot of torpedo hits on friendlies.  This became a bigger problem as torpedo ranges increased.  Low tier it wasn't a problem because torp ranges were pretty poor.  But when you start getting into 10km, you can easily hit friendly ships that move into the target area far away.

You have to look at what your teammates are doing.  There can be a lot of movement and dropping torps into the back of a teammate is horrible.  There was a very embarrassing game for me in Fletcher where I was kiting reds in the old Islands of Ice.  I dropped torps outside max range because I expected the reds to advance into them.  However, we had a friendly DD that was sailing to and fro as a screen and I had a torp hit and kill him from behind.  He wasn't in my field of view when I was scoped in during the torp launch.  He was just off to the side.  And with his side to side screening movement, he went into my torpedoes' path.  In short, I launched torps with a friendly ship in between me and the enemy, even if he was to the side.  Very embarrassing to do this, especially with a Tier IX DD.

Typing in chat, pinging on the map to try to warn people is useless.  People are trying to pay attention to their fighting and so they may not see what people are typing in Chat, etc.  So when you drop torps, it is completely on you.  There may be certain scenarios where you need to drop torps despite the presence of a friendly in the area, but those are very few.  And if you take that gamble and end up hitting the friendly, that's still on you.  You rolled the dice.

How to get better with torpedo drops?  Keep playing Destroyers.  I'd say keep playing with the Tier IV or lower DDs with their quicker reloads to try and try again.  I'd say Co-op is a poor practice mode for dropping torpedoes because the bots behave nothing at all like players.  You get better with torpedo drops only in PVP and players behave very differently.  Some have poor instincts against torpedoes.  Some do and are a PITA to hit.  Even then when you think you got better in torpedo drops, they will always be low hit % weapons.

I'll use a certain player as an example on one of the most respected Torpedo Destroyers in the game, Fletcher.  The player I picked has 117 Fletcher battles and a very high 71.79% Win Rate, 91k Avg Damage.  Yet despite this performance, check his Torpedo Hit %

8Vcat1m.png

That is Unicum Fletcher performance, yet he has a mere 7.74% Torpedo Hit% on one of the best Torpedo DDs in the game.

Torpedo Destroyer games vary wildly.  There are games where you are lining up fools left and right, getting lots of torp hits and doing massive damage, scoring high, etc.  Then there are games where you are lucky to get ONE torpedo hit despite dropping tons of torps.

Anyways.  The closer you can get to do a torpedo drop, the better the chances of a hit, but the closer you get, the chances of being detected and shot at increases.  Whether from not paying attention to your Detection range, or running into an enemy DD you failed to account for, or getting found out due to aircraft (Catapult, Spotter, CV aircraft).  There is also Radar and if you get TOO close, possibly Hydro as well.  But if you sit at longer ranges to avoid spotter / catapult aircraft, hydro / radar, etc., expect very low torpedo hit rates.  That's the tactical dilemma Torpedo DDs have to contend with.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,520 posts
6,325 battles

I think the most effective advice for new players is how to aim properly. This should be a required tutorial. I was several hundred battles in before I learned the relationship between shell travel time and the ticks on the aiming reticule. It's worth watching Notser's video below to get a detailed explanation, but the cliff notes version is:

• Go I to settings and change your crosshair to Dynamic
  • When you press shift to zoom in and aim, take note of the shell travel time
  • if the shell travel time says 9, put the 9th tickmark on the reticule in the center of the ship and fire your guns
  • This assumes the ship is travelling at 30 knots. You'll have to adjust accordingly as you learn to gauge ship speed

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
9,374 posts
4,243 battles

Advice:  Turn on replays.  When something happens that you think shouldn't, or just to evaluate how you did, go back and look at the replay.

For instance, you say the cruiser that pinked you "wasn't on your map."  I bet it was and within the hyper-focus of a knife fight you just didn't see it. 

With 0.7.11, replays are *supposed* to be enable automatically.  Look for a 'replays' folder in your WoWS installation.  If you don't see one, come back here.

[MACO_]
[MACO_]
Members
13 posts
1,304 battles

Thanks for all of the great information - just what I was looking for! That's one thing I have noticed; WOWS is more than a game, it's a community. The forums have TONS of great and highly useful information in them.

One thing I noticed; after getting my 'Pink Skirt' the other day, I went back and played T1 cruisers (Blackswan) and found that my skills had improved considerably when applied to that tier. Yes, DouglasMcawful, I have been using 'Dynamic Cross-hairs - great tool! Bladed Phoenix, I was able to grab Scharnhorst using doubloons. Haven't played her yet, but will transfer a 10 point Captain and follow your tutorial - thanks!

I found the 'Replays' - didn't know they existed! I replayed my fateful battle and was able to see my mistakes. The 'Friendly' was slipping in and out on my mini-map, and had been hiding behind an island, only to suddenly run out just as I launched  my torps. Had I been paying closer attention, I would have noticed, but since I was taking a ton of fire and was in survival mode, I missed it and shot off a very poorly aimed salvo of torps that I never should have fired! Lesson learned!

Thanks again for all your advice and I will apply it as I climb the learning curve of this highly addictive game!

[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
12 minutes ago, RockstarScotty said:

Thanks for all of the great information - just what I was looking for! That's one thing I have noticed; WOWS is more than a game, it's a community. The forums have TONS of great and highly useful information in them.

One thing I noticed; after getting my 'Pink Skirt' the other day, I went back and played T1 cruisers (Blackswan) and found that my skills had improved considerably when applied to that tier. Yes, DouglasMcawful, I have been using 'Dynamic Cross-hairs - great tool! Bladed Phoenix, I was able to grab Scharnhorst using doubloons. Haven't played her yet, but will transfer a 10 point Captain and follow your tutorial - thanks!

I found the 'Replays' - didn't know they existed! I replayed my fateful battle and was able to see my mistakes. The 'Friendly' was slipping in and out on my mini-map, and had been hiding behind an island, only to suddenly run out just as I launched  my torps. Had I been paying closer attention, I would have noticed, but since I was taking a ton of fire and was in survival mode, I missed it and shot off a very poorly aimed salvo of torps that I never should have fired! Lesson learned!

Thanks again for all your advice and I will apply it as I climb the learning curve of this highly addictive game!

Shiny. If you have any other questions, certainly don't hesitate to ask. Almost everyone here is helpful and friendly.

[YORHA]
Members
4,197 posts
7,363 battles

Only thing I can add is NEVER sell a Premium ship.

EVER.

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,738 battles

Hah! I mostly play DDs and cruisers now.

Ive been in your place with a pink skirt too. Dont fret too much about it seriously,nothings happens except your name is in pink for a few matches.

Ive learned to live with friendly torps... sometimes its my mistake as someone cut my path and runs into my torps... or else some other suicidal tendancy players is in front of a DD for some reason. He deserves to get torped from both sides LOL. Now that im an experienced player I rarely friendly torp someone,but it does happen sometime with some suicidal tendancy ship players going ahead of the DD within the first 4 minutes of a battle.  

Anyways on your ship advice, i would suggest not to go the royal navy cruiser line first since all of them are paper ships and will get citadeled from any angle drom enemy ships. It requires a bit of experienced skill play to play those ships and do well. I would suggest either japanese or germany cruiser lines since they are a little bit tankier.

Edited by lungiwear

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,712 posts
15,077 battles
On 12/8/2018 at 12:59 PM, RockstarScotty said:

Okt R is a very fine ship, but I got her after I had a lot of experience with BBs.  I place her next to the Cesare as the best T5 in tier. 

I air spec her.  For a T5 BB, she actually has pretty good AA in tier.   Not as good as Texas...but enough to thin out attacks.  

They key to defeating air attacks is mini-map awareness.  Over time, it will become automatic.  Mini-map is your 360 degrees eyes.  When you're looking around in 3D...or scoped in....the field is very narrow.  So the mini-map is critical to maintain the necessary SA to avoid or mitigate threats.  In a BB, you must begin mitigation maneuvers very early.  Either to get your bow into the TBDs...or if time and situation allows, a stern position.  The latter even better if you're air spec'd.

The Okt R "ace" is the DCP is very short cooldown.  The downside, is you have limited number of DCP on this ship.  So a critical part of playing to this strength is you must run Premium DCP and run the captain skill that gives you extra expendables.  Very hard to burn down or flood out an Okt R played to this strength.

Lastly, the Okt R has one of the best bow angle armor of any T5 BBs.  Most T5 BB bows can be overmatched (look up this term in WOWS vernacular if you don't know about it) by eleven inch shells!  That's right...I bow pen T5 BBs in my Graf Spee cruiser all the time.  If you look at the bow armor of the Okt R, it has a reinforced skirt that can withstand overmatch of even 16 inch guns you might get from some of the T6 or T7 ships.  Granted, they can still get through if they don't hit the skirt....but when angled well, that skirt works wonderfully.  This allows the Okt R to get in a bow angle duel with higher tier ships and hold its own.  And if it becomes an HE feast, the Okt R DCP advantage can win the day.  Against most T5 BBs...you can overmatch their bow all day, while their shots bounce off yours.

All the advantages above said, don't get caught out broadside.  Like most T5 BBs, that's the Okt R Achilles heel.  This is very important when T6 or T7 BBs are in the match...as they can extract a painful penalty on a broadside salvo.

And it doesn't do well skirmishing with DDs either.  Again, this is an SA thing.  Don't get caught in a closing battle with a healthy DD or it will own you.  You usually must put the DD in trail to beat them, and like countering AA threats, you have to be maneuvering into that position before it's too late. 

Members
2,586 posts
7,457 battles

If I may make one suggestion... don't make the Royal Navy Cruisers your first line to grind, they require a good deal of knowledge of the mechanics of the game and are not forgiving to those who misuse them. If you wish to persevere to the Danae and Emerald and beyond (where the line get's less painful), I'm happy to help out. but that line is not at all newb friendly or for the feint of heart.

I'd suggest the German or American Battleship lines or the American Cruisers which are much less hostile to new players learning the ropes

[A-D-F]
Members
161 posts
7,818 battles

This is one of your firsts posts and you used it to ask for help - points for you! Not many players are that bold or committed to self-development.

Now... to the questions:

On 12/8/2018 at 3:59 PM, RockstarScotty said:

Next, I have the 'Caladon' which I find perplexing. With a 12 point Captain, she is deadly accurate, but can go from full health to sunk from just a single enemy salvo! That's hard to swallow!

Grinding RN cruiser is daunting for newcomers. The learning curve is steep and mistakes are punished the hardest, usually by instant delete" (that's the gamerbabble for being sunk by just a single salvo). Grind the German, Japanese or American cruiser lines, as they are more forgiving with mistakes.

A long list of Youtube tutorials can be brought up here, but as you say they doesn't seem to help, my second best advice is: training room. Learn how your torpedoes work. They have different speeds and ships can react in very different ways. Some have a tight turning circle, but bleed too much speed; others keep the speed, but have a wider turning circle; and others, due to very high speed, will drift with the stern when turning. Besides, you have to take into account the direction you're sailing and the direction the target is sailing and adjust the aiming over the white reticule. Take your preferred torpedo boat, open up a training room, set a few bots (you can disarm them, but keep them moving) and go chase them. It doesn't take long to get that 6th sense for your torpedoes.

2) How can I protect against a friendly that wasn't even on my map?

"Friendly fire is always accountable to the one who fired it in the first place." Look at the minimap, it's your best friend. Always look at the minimap. Ideally, you want to play the game looking at the minimap and use the screen just to fine tuning  your aim. As rule of a thumb, if there is one friendly ship between you and your target, don't use torps (unless you has a voice channel open with that ship through e.g. discord and can warn that player).

Got pink'd? Move one, be more careful next time. Everyone has been pink'd more than once and that's no excuse to stop playing the ship that caused you that. Relax, you're not facing court martial for that. Take your ship and have fun!

One of my favourite stallions in lower tiers. The ship is a cruiser killing machine, but there are a few thing that ship can't: 1. can't brawl well, i.e. stay at least 7km from a brawling BB (German/British in lower tiers); 2. can't tank for longer periods, i.e. keep just a few kilometers  behind the cruisers;  3. don't try to snipe, as the main guns don't have range, tight dispersion or high sigma for that; 4. you need to learn when to used Damage Control Party (as you have limited charges), so that you know when to burn and when not; 5. if are unlucky to be in a match against a CV, stick with another BB and stack aa defense (Americans/British preferred, but you should stick with the closest and not sail across the map just to get aa cover from that American BB on the other side; CV will get to you sooner than you can get to that other BB) and don't make yourself a juicy target by being in the front of the line under the hail of shells (low health ships become priority targets for CVs) nor wander all alone (as you don't have a decent aa to protect yourself). Look at the minimap and watch where the friendly planes are flying to and sail towards that direction, as it's likely you'll get air cover from your CV (but don't count on that).

6. (bounus tip for all BBs you may play) keep track of all DDs in the minmap, especially those who get dark (check their last known position in the minimap). If they were sailing towards your position, you're probably being hunted; if they were last seen sailing towards your position and you're detected even if no other ship is within your detection range, change course and speed - you have incoming torpedoes. 

Edited by Brooklin82

Members
316 posts
3,987 battles

As far as surviving goes, angling your ship is king. The game takes into account the sloping and angle of your target when shells hit. It doesn’t help much with HE besides making your profile smaller but it will save you from those crushing citadel hits if you’re playing cruiser or B.B. it took me many games to reliably angle my ship. I avoid getting into situations where I’m angled while facing one opponent but showing broadside to another. If facing down a B.B. and need to get away, stay angled until they shoot and then turn immediately. You will have about 30 seconds minus shell flight time to turn your ship the other way.  

Concealment is another trickier element. At first glance it makes sense but when you see all the different values for different ships, it gets more complex. Then you add in how firing increases your detection range. As a B.B., you’re usually just spotted so expect incoming fire and position yourself appropriately. As a cruiser or DD it gets more complicated as you learn when to fire or not fire your guns. Simply stopping firing will save your life many times in both DDs and cruisers. If you’re in a larger ship and you are detected but can’t see them, that means that ship has a smaller detection radius so look out for torps. 

Good luck!