You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Worst Played Ships

55 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles

Good day all,

Been meaning to make a thread on this for a bit, as my opinion gets more reinforced with the more matches that I play.  Regardless of tier, what do you think are the overall worst played (skill-wise) ships?  Don't get me wrong, I know every ship can be played poorly, but for me, there are some that really seem to stick out.

My picks, in no particular order:

• Omaha - because she's part of a very popular tech tree line that gets it's first taste of T7 matches in a not-so-subtle sledgehammer to the face kind of introduction.  
  • Bismarck - once they had the campaign for players to earn this T8 battleship for free, it seems like the skill level has really bottomed out on her.  I'm certain a lot of low tier players jumped up way in over their heads by getting her.
  • ARP ships - namely Myokos here, as they are higher up the tier bracket.  Same principle as Bismarck.  Lots of players earning for free a high tier ship that they have no (skill) business being in yet.

Now don't get me wrong, there are still many players out there that can and do excel in these ships.  Just for me, these seem to be the ones I notice most being misused the most.

What are your picks?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles

Omaha has been badly power creeped and being so brittle any mistake is pretty much the last.

Bismarck is just one example of the HE over everything. The only BB's that can realistically use HE most of the time are the RN napalm throwing BB's but too many stay with HE even for ships that are giving a steady broadside.

ARP was a damned long time ago and they have not been available for a long time too.

If you go through the tech trees I doubt you will find a ship that is played "wrong".

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,759 posts
21 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Good day all...

I think that the campaign only gave you the camouflage for the Bismark, not the ship itself. At least that's what I have. I've got a bit of a grind yet before I reach the Bismark.

The grind to get the ARP ships was as long as the grind up to the equivalent level in the standard tech tree. I played consistently nearly every day for a month to get the Takao. 

[ADOPT]
Members
331 posts
4,181 battles

Tirpitz and Mass would be my nominations, there's too many of them that are piloted by people with no experience but purchased them in the shop.  That itself is fine, but sucks for the team that are stuck with them.

• Angry 1

[WOLF8]
Members
380 posts
7,298 battles

Any of my tier 10s.  I play alright in my 9s, decently in my 8s, and atrociously in my 10s.

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles

Krispy Kreme hands down!! (Krasny Krym for those who don't know the nickname) 2nd would be the Monaghan as a torp bote. (Only 2 forward guns to fight with). 3rd, for me would have to be the Katori. Slow as molasses on a winter day in iceland.

Edited by WestPac_CG22
added an a

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles

Tirpitz, MA, Alabama, Atago, etc... basically the T8 Premiums because they seem to be the popular pick for players with little or no experience in the game who think buying a high tier Premium will make them good. They have no clue how to play at that level and just hurt the team be it PVE or PVP.

CV's in general get a honorable mention too. Seems CV players are either amazing or flat out suck. And this isn't a slam on those who suck (I am one of them). IT is because the current version is so difficult to play.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,504 posts
12,810 battles

I completely suck with my Neptune.  I deal damage with it well enough, but that's about all I can do with it.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
43 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Good day all,

Been meaning to make a thread on this for a bit, as my opinion gets more reinforced with the more matches that I play.  Regardless of tier, what do you think are the overall worst played (skill-wise) ships?  Don't get me wrong, I know every ship can be played poorly, but for me, there are some that really seem to stick out.

My picks, in no particular order:

• Omaha - because she's part of a very popular tech tree line that gets it's first taste of T7 matches in a not-so-subtle sledgehammer to the face kind of introduction.  
  • Bismarck - once they had the campaign for players to earn this T8 battleship for free, it seems like the skill level has really bottomed out on her.  I'm certain a lot of low tier players jumped up way in over their heads by getting her.
  • ARP ships - namely Myokos here, as they are higher up the tier bracket.  Same principle as Bismarck.  Lots of players earning for free a high tier ship that they have no (skill) business being in yet.

Now don't get me wrong, there are still many players out there that can and do excel in these ships.  Just for me, these seem to be the ones I notice most being misused the most.

What are your picks?

many players use the ARP to grind captains xp for daily win bonuses and never even outfit them with modules....

I cringe when we have a Leander, seems like they are drawn to the center of the map, hit smoke at full speed and are 2k away from it by the time they stop, turn sideways and get nuked all with 14 seconds.

[TDRB]
Members
2,834 posts
8,412 battles

This is 100% subjective. Because it is the driver, not the ship, that has or lacks skill this worst varies from day to day.

• Cool 2

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
26 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

Tirpitz and Mass would be my nominations, there's too many of them that are piloted by people with no experience but purchased them in the shop.  That itself is fine, but sucks for the team that are stuck with them.

I sure agree on Tirpitz. I do believe this is why it's  win rate is rather low.  Powerful ship being played by rookies waaay over their head at it's level. 

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,137 posts
11,721 battles
37 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think that the campaign only gave you the camouflage for the Bismark, not the ship itself. At least that's what I have. I've got a bit of a grind yet before I reach the Bismark.

The grind to get the ARP ships was as long as the grind up to the equivalent level in the standard tech tree. I played consistently nearly every day for a month to get the Takao. 

It did award the ship, I was halfway through the Gneis grind when the campaign came out and got the ship.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,134 posts

In the worst case scenario:

Any CV is a beginners nightmare.

1) Controls are not documented very well.

2) Youtube videos are complete frustration to CV ops.  You see the presenter dropping torp patterns, strafing, and going into all kinds of amazing things with no explanation of WHAT THE HELL BUTTONS ARE YOU PRESSING TO DO THIS ????  One needs to hunt and peck around in the forums and get advise.

3) So they load up and hit the 'BATTLE' button..  OK..  Now what?  Um...   H.E.L.P....

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles

Any time is see a Derpitz, i just assume the captain is dumb unless i know them, or proven otherwise throughout the course of the battle.  Its wierd because i always tell myself to never underestimate an opponent, but that rule just seems not to apply to Derpitz drivers.

The only other ship i groan when i see is a "sniping" Mass. 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,862 posts
20 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

In the worst case scenario:

Any CV is a beginners nightmare.

1) Controls are not documented very well.

2) Youtube videos are complete frustration to CV ops.  You see the presenter dropping torp patterns, strafing, and going into all kinds of amazing things with no explanation of WHAT THE HELL BUTTONS ARE YOU PRESSING TO DO THIS ????  One needs to hunt and peck around in the forums and get advise.

3) So they load up and hit the 'BATTLE' button..  OK..  Now what?  Um...   H.E.L.P....

THIS^^^^ in spades!!!

It's why I never bothered with any of them, even though I've wanted to several times over the years.    The "tutorials"  focus almost entirely on manual drops, strafing etc, and say nothing about how to control squadrons, how to launch them, or how to manage them.   Thus, they got the big nope! from me.

Any newb CV driver would have to be absolutely nucking futs to take one to Randoms- you'll get eaten alive by the handful of players still playing them, and who have thousands of games in them.

Aside from that, worst played ships could be any a given player isn't familiar with or good in.   To whit, ME in a high tier DD, lol.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,446 posts
18,810 battles

Without a doubt, the worst played ships in this game are Battleships.  As a whole.  Any line.

Proof?  Just look at all the BB complaint threads about very easy to mitigate problems.

The simple truth is BBs attract the new players.  I mean, it was true even for me.  Iowa was my first goal to attain in this game.  You got a bunch of inexperienced guys going around thinking they should be invulnerable to everything, delete everything, instead they get schooled.  The result are the many BB complaint threads we got on these boards.

This never changes.  We see these threads with players having thousands and thousands and thousands of battles and still cannot mitigate these easy to mitigate problems.  This isn't all, but there's quite a lot.  In a typical Random match, I expect the worst play out of Battleships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[WOLF9]
Members
3,862 posts
9 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Any time is see a Derpitz, i just assume the captain is dumb unless i know them, or proven otherwise throughout the course of the battle.  Its wierd because i always tell myself to never underestimate an opponent, but that rule just seems not to apply to Derpitz drivers.

The only other ship i groan when i see is a "sniping" Mass. 

That last... Wow, some people must LIKE, I mean truly enjoy extreme frustration if they're doing that, lol.    Even inside secondary range, the mb accuracy is questionable at best...   AND WG TOLD US ALL THAT THEMSELVES UPFRONT.

Dorpitz, same thing- only WG didn't go out of their way to explain just how trollish the mb accuracy was.   But if you've played any German BB not called Kaiser or Konig, you already know that, lol.  Just wait till they hit Bismarck- the same ship sans torpedoes- same dorpy guns.

Alpha Tester
1,208 posts
4,954 battles

I'm going to buck convention and say Yamato. Lately every time I see one it comes to a dead stop bow on ~15km from the nearest enemy. A fine defensive position against the ship in front of it maybe, but an easy damage pinata for the other half of the team that have it's stationary side. It's become such a widespread tactic that when I see an enemy Yamato at a different cap point I put my guns on it and wait for the brakes.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
647 posts
10,122 battles

Karlsruhe was an awful grind. It was so terrible when it first came out

Low Tier British CLs were also absolutely terrible for me. Shells that didn't do much damage to angled targets and they had terrible accuracy, the torps were good though for the tier. Leander was a dream bote compared to them

Mahan was also another really garbage bote for me. Played it back before it had the terrible concealment. It wasn't the worst grind but not the best.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,446 posts
18,810 battles
2 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I'm going to buck convention and say Yamato. Lately every time I see one it comes to a dead stop bow on ~15km from the nearest enemy. A fine defensive position against the ship in front of it maybe, but an easy damage pinata for the other half of the team that have it's stationary side. It's become such a widespread tactic that when I see an enemy Yamato at a different cap point I put my guns on it and wait for the brakes.

Bow On tactics are fine, but going Bow on in front of 3+ players is a guaranteed death.  This tactic is one of the most misused in the game.  Hell, I've even seen Atlantas try to go Bow On in open water against my Battleships.

Image result for tom hanks really gif

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
1,208 posts
4,954 battles
38 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Bow On tactics are fine, but going Bow on in front of 3+ players is a guaranteed death.  This tactic is one of the most misused in the game.  Hell, I've even seen Atlantas try to go Bow On in open water against my Battleships.

Image result for tom hanks really gif

Bow on by itself is not a dumb thing to do, and reversing is a necessary evil sometimes when you realize you've overextended and your team mates have bugged out, but coming to a dead stop with enemy ships on your sides is questionable. It seems like lately every time I see a musashi or a yamato in a match they do this. Yesterday i was able to disengage with my Missouri and get around a musashi to get four citadels on him in a single salvo. The player parked his ship in the open and didn't move for at least five minutes.

[WOLFG]
Members
304 posts
10 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

I completely suck with my Neptune.  I deal damage with it well enough, but that's about all I can do with it.

At least you could deal damage.  I couldn't stay alive long enough to do that.  It just seemed like a slow moving citadel.  My vote goes for Neptune.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,503 posts
5,601 battles

This came out earlier today and I agree that Asashio is very often played badly. Recently it's gotten worse with all those Asashio B falling into the hands of those who can't handle her quirks and gimmicks. Time after time I see Asashio/Asashio B that aren't my own get killed early with nothing to show for it.

But more generally imho DDs are regularly badly played. Despite what bad BB players think, DDs are difficult ships to play which requires some understanding of game mechanics and strategy. And imho 80% of DD players are crap.

BBs are also imho very regularly misplayed. Though powerful when in the hands of a skilled player, the BB ship type is also the preserve of the stupid, and the cowardly, who crap their pants in terror and start reversing when the paint gets scratched. They'll hug the borders like limpets to a rock instead of for example being close enough to a cap to support their team.

• Cool 1