You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
3r22r

Defence of naval station newport station

20 comments in this topic

[TRGT]
Members
190 posts
3,866 battles

Did somebody notice that it is nearly impossible to win? I have a Monagham and try as I might I always get killed first

Too F%$*!* hard and very frustrating, too many ennemy ships too fast.

[DDM_]
Members
1,552 posts
4,343 battles

It requires a lot of team work, not something you get unless you're in a division. 

[SF-A]
Members
3,045 posts
6,475 battles

It's not a difficult operation, but requires some experience.

Firstly, DDs are not good for this mission. Cruisers have the DPM to take care of the ships quickly enough, but especially the Monaghan doesn't. If you take one, your job is to smoke cruisers and torpedo the BBs. Second, if you're dying too quickly, that means you're charging out too soon. Don't leave the ring of islands with forts on them if you don't absolutely need to.

I recommend getting at least a thousand battles under your belt before you try any of the ops, and that you have your clan run through it privately. That way they can mentor you, you communicate better, and your learning doesn't cost anyone a match.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,156 posts
29,701 battles

Div with an experienced Team, the more players in the Div the better.

It is one of the difficult Ops but not unwinable.

[4HIM]
Members
2,379 posts
7,334 battles

Not too terribly hard to win.  Hard to 5 star unless you're in a division or you end up with people who've played it before and coordinate in chat.

And DD's can do okay in it.  A high DMP cruiser is better.  But I have gotten 5 stars and topped the team in a Farragut.  And to say I stink in DD's is an insult to the term 'stink'.  Scout, torp, and smoke team mates.  It can really help if you smoke up a team mate that has taken a lot of damage and is trying to retreat to the repair ship.  

But I think the best game I've ever had in this Op was with the Nuremburg.   

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,291 posts
11,291 battles
1 hour ago, R_Razor said:

It requires a lot of team work, not something you get unless you're in a division. 

Even then it is very tough and any minor bobble will doom any chance at five stars.

[TDRB]
Members
2,806 posts
8,294 battles
23 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Even then it is very tough and any minor bobble will doom any chance at five stars.

A victory does not need to have stars but I do prefer the 5 star wins:Smile_smile:

2 hours ago, 3r22r said:

Did somebody notice that it is nearly impossible to win? I have a Monagham and try as I might I always get killed first

Too F%$*!* hard and very frustrating, too many ennemy ships too fast.

Newport is not a good operation for an overly aggressive DD driver. In the 1st or 2nd wave you may not get many opportunities to do damage, charging out or even trying to set up an ambush usually results in a early departure for the DD driver. Patience is a virtue. Unless you get with a super unicum team you will have many opportunities to do damage & sink ships. You will also learn where to position your ship to maximize your damage in the mid to later stages of the game. A DD's knockout blow is its torpedoes. Remember you are playing bots and they have an advantage.

BTW, if you think Newport is bad wait until you try Ultimate Frontier.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,291 posts
11,291 battles
9 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

A victory does not need to have stars but I do prefer the 5 star wins:Smile_smile:

BTW, if you think Newport is bad wait until you try Ultimate Frontier.

Yeah but there is an opt in mission that requires five five star victories in the current operation which is Newport.

Newport is not hard to win but it is very hard to five star.

[TDRB]
Members
2,806 posts
8,294 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah but there is an opt in mission that requires five five star victories in the current operation which is Newport.

Newport is not hard to win but it is very hard to five star.

This week it been difficult to win. Maybe it is the mission causing the problem. In baseball where a player can win the game with a hit the player swings too hard & fails rather then staying within himself and executing the mechanics as smoothly as possible.

[SF-A]
Beta Testers
357 posts
11,719 battles

I have noticed that Newport has become harder, with what seems like, a lot more red ships toward the end. My teams can't seem to kill them fast enough, even if we are all still alive and healthy. 

[WOLF9]
Members
9,370 posts
4,243 battles
4 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Firstly, DDs are not good for this mission.

Disagree.  A DD can be very valuable in DoNSN in the appropriate roles.  The tactical objective here is to kill each wave before the other spawns or you will be up to your neck in red ships before you know it.  As a spotter, a DD allows the high-DPM ships to have targets well before the targets get close.  As a torpedo bote, a DD can selectively hit high-difficulty targets such as Bayern and Izumo.  As a gunship, it is short-lived, even in smoke.  To be effective, the DD must play out in front of the bastion so the player must be skilled at using LoS, smoke, and speed to stay alive. 

If you try a DD again, try playing without firing a (gun) shot.

FWIW, my Ops Division played to beat the mini-event last night.  Four 5-star wins, then a 2-star win, then the fifth 5-star win.  (I missed the first battle so will have to complete it today.)  Of Dallas, Pensacola, Normandie, my most effective ship was Dallas.

Edited by iDuckman
To add that personal touch

[KCB]
Members
67 posts
10,426 battles

Why does WoWs constantly make these ops more difficult? Lost 8 straight yesterday won 2 straight this morning with 1 star and now 3 straight losses.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,105 posts
5,904 battles

ah yes,i remember that operation,the first operation.

the forum had a giant meltdown full of people posting thread that they couldn't win.

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles
On 12/8/2018 at 7:40 AM, pewpewpew42 said:

Don't leave the ring of islands with forts on them if you don't absolutely need to.

I'm new to the op, so there's a couple things I don't understand. First, I remember someone saying in the chat that moving too far from base area causes the next wave to spawn faster. I don't think this is true since this doesn't match with my own observations, but I wanted to know if others have seen this and if that's how the op actually works.

Second, because the enemy charges in bow-on and the attack starts early if they reach the island ring, isn't it better to move forward and spend as much time as possible hitting their broadsides? While the repair ships at base help, I've found that the repair is far too slow to offset incoming damage - if the bots are close enough to fire on you in the repair circle, they're already pretty close to overrunning you.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,838 posts
2 hours ago, Ochosinko said:

Why does WoWs constantly make these ops more difficult? Lost 8 straight yesterday won 2 straight this morning with 1 star and now 3 straight losses.

They are training you for random....:Smile_trollface:

Really though, scenarios were brought in for one reason, to teach team work to the player base at large....working as intended?:Smile_hiding:

[ADOPT]
Members
331 posts
4,166 battles

Doing this op with random is just asking for frustration.  Usually DD means its useless, more than 3 BB is going to be a loss, a BB sitting still in port peppering away means a loss, etc.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,370 posts
4,243 battles
46 minutes ago, yungpanda said:

First, I remember someone saying in the chat that moving too far from base area causes the next wave to spawn faster. I don't think this is true since this doesn't match with my own observations, but I wanted to know if others have seen this and if that's how the op actually works.

No.  There are two triggers: 1) reaching the defense ring, 2) the clock.  Also, if they get close enough they will start shelling the shore installations instead of you.

46 minutes ago, yungpanda said:

Second, because the enemy charges in bow-on and the attack starts early if they reach the island ring, isn't it better to move forward and spend as much time as possible hitting their broadsides?

Ha!  I thought so too, being a lover of fine crossfires.  Normally I stay in the green so long as it lasts, but having finished the mini-event I though I'd try a flanking move in La Gasolinnière.  The flaw in the logic is that if you flank the mob, they have capped your T and beat you to death with small explosive rocks.

47 minutes ago, yungpanda said:

While the repair ships at base help, I've found that the repair is far too slow to offset incoming damage - if the bots are close enough to fire on you in the repair circle, they're already pretty close to overrunning you.

I recall there being two repair circles, one at each of the inner islands.  At the end you often had all the surviving green ships stack in the repair circles.  They seem to have moved one to the shore base and perhaps slowed repair.  If you get badly damaged early, you have time to get some back before the excrement really hits the fan, but usually it is best just to accept half health and fight on.

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
On 12/8/2018 at 9:40 AM, pewpewpew42 said:

It's not a difficult operation, but requires some experience.

Firstly, DDs are not good for this mission. Cruisers have the DPM to take care of the ships quickly enough, but especially the Monaghan doesn't. If you take one, your job is to smoke cruisers and torpedo the BBs. Second, if you're dying too quickly, that means you're charging out too soon. Don't leave the ring of islands with forts on them if you don't absolutely need to.

I recommend getting at least a thousand battles under your belt before you try any of the ops, and that you have your clan run through it privately. That way they can mentor you, you communicate better, and your learning doesn't cost anyone a match.

High DPM Cruisers are most certainly better. However, I have a Hatsuharu, Fubuki, an Aigle, and a Shinonome (Especially the Shinonome), wanting a word with you. I five-starred the Operation, with each of those ships, in that specific order too. Shinonome, I even killed 10 ships, earning Natural Selection (only ship to perform such a feat).

The trick is knowing what it is that needs to be done, and what your ship is capable of.