You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jahawa

Don't won't to be that guy

30 comments in this topic

[HOOPR]
Members
11 posts
413 battles

I am a long time WOT Blitz player who has been playing both WOWS and WOWS Blitz more lately. I have less than 100 battles in WOWS and close to 400 in blitz. I am pretty serious tank player, but not a great player. But I like to win.

I like winning in ships alos, but I am still a noob,  trying to figure out the strategies and techniques of the game. At this point I don't care that much about stats in ships, but I don't won't to be that guy we all hate in tanks; the one we call a window licker, who just drives around spinning their turrets.

In WOWS, I noticed I received several premium ships with a time limit on them. I also have a couple of tier 8's. I played the tier 6 Graf Spree yesterday and promptly got destroyed. I understand yoloing is not good, but I don't understand tactics real well yet. I am a WWII history buff, so I mostly understand the historical use of the different ships. In tanks one of the problems is higher tier tanks can be bought or won in containers and the player can be clueless about how to play.

So, any suggestions on how to not be that guy, that you good players on WOWS hate to see on your team? :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
11,697 posts
7,510 battles

Start at the bottom and work your way up. Keep the premiums in port until you get within a tier of them in the tech tree.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,105 posts
5,904 battles

kitting,angling,knowing the limitatons of your AP and HE,learning when to switch ammo.

kitting is not that hard if you use a agile ship,you show the stern(the rear of the ship) to the enemy,giving him a smaller target to shoot than broadside,your moment to shoot is when he is reloading,so you can angle the ship to use all guns,after he is done reloading he will fire again,go stern mode again and repeat.

angling is well know to wot players,increasing your armor by angling it.

some AP shells are fragile(italian cruisers) while others are pretty good(german cruiser),the knowledge of your ammo can save you from shattering your shells or saving them for the right time(when the enemy goes broadside to flee or to shoot).

sometimes shoting AP isn't enough,you will have to switch ammo,HE is a good choice because it ignores armor but it deals less damage,some ships relies on fire,while others like boise and ndj can stack up damage with HE because they have high number of guns.

try to learn where the enemy citadel is located,hitting it allows your shell to deliver full damage(if your AP maximum damage is 10k,the citadel hit will drain 10k of the enemy hp). ships have ammoracks too,just like tanks.

Edited by Cruxdei

Members
745 posts
13,083 battles

The mini map is your friend.

Make decisions that will keep you alive and possibly do damage to the enemy.

The longer you live the more decisions you will make and the more you can learn.

[HOOPR]
Members
11 posts
413 battles

Thanks for the replies. Sounds a lot like tank strategies. Didn't know angling was a tactic to use in ships. From all of my WWII submarine reading I figured turning your rear to the enemy was good and zig-zagging helped. Learning about ammo hasn't been on my radar, other than understanding the basic differences between HE and AP. Sounds a bit more complicated than tanks.

Mini map awareness is crucial to tanks, knowing about it is easy, but making it happen is the hard part.

One thing I don't understand is the detection dynamics and resetting your "camo" so to speak. That's a key element in tanks.

I will keep the premiums in port, and continue to work the lower tiers.

[NLIST]
[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,338 posts
12,992 battles

Actually watching players stream their matches on twitch is a great asset for a new player.  They describe what they are seeing on the main map and the minimap, what they intend to do with their ship and where they are going to on the map to do it.  It's a good way to leverage their experience for your own use.  In terms of describing ship tactics - watching Flamuon youtube will give you a lot of insight into the basics - he has a nice collection of entry-level videos for new players as well.  If you were able to play successfully at the other games, you will be able to do the same in this one.  Good Luck.

• Cool 1

[HOOPR]
Members
11 posts
413 battles
4 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Actually watching players stream their matches on twitch is a great asset for a new player.  They describe what they are seeing on the main map and the minimap, what they intend to do with their ship and where they are going to on the map to do it.  It's a good way to leverage their experience for your own use.  In terms of describing ship tactics - watching Flamuon youtube will give you a lot of insight into the basics - he has a nice collection of entry-level videos for new players as well.  If you were able to play successfully at the other games, you will be able to do the same in this one.  Good Luck.

Thank you for that. I have learned a lot from watching tank videos. I will look them up.

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
15,583 battles
1 hour ago, jahawa said:

So, any suggestions on how to not be that guy, that you good players on WOWS hate to see on your team? :Smile_facepalm:

Knowledge is king...play and "learn" all you can.

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Start at the bottom and work your way up. Keep the premiums in port until you get within a tier of them in the tech tree.

What lies is this. You must purchase a tirpitz and immediately start playing it with zero other wows experience...it's damn near tradition by now.

• Funny 1

Members
319 posts
4,035 battles

Graf Spree sucks imo. It has zero armor it feels like. Scharnhorst is the best german bb or bc imo. I sold mine again yesterday. Thanks xmas crate. :-(

Edited by steelers_rule_2018

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
157 posts
16,595 battles
1 hour ago, jahawa said:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds a lot like tank strategies. Didn't know angling was a tactic to use in ships. From all of my WWII submarine reading I figured turning your rear to the enemy was good and zig-zagging helped. Learning about ammo hasn't been on my radar, other than understanding the basic differences between HE and AP. Sounds a bit more complicated than tanks.

Mini map awareness is crucial to tanks, knowing about it is easy, but making it happen is the hard part.

One thing I don't understand is the detection dynamics and resetting your "camo" so to speak. That's a key element in tanks.

I recommend playing a few hundred battles in the low tiers, T2 to T4.  Co-op is good, relaxed, quick fun and you'll learn a lot that will help you in Random.

Read the WoWS Wiki to learn detection dynamics and more.  Watch YouTube videos.  Use dynamic crosshair and learn what other interface adjustments to make. 

Showing your broadside is a bad thing and there are other misconceptions to correct.  You need to learn to walk before you run.

Edited by Daffyd9x

[-V1-]
Members
370 posts
6,454 battles

Check for LIttle White Mouse reviews on ships.   Her reviews can run to 20+ pages, are in depth, and she pulls no punches - calls a bad ship bad or trash.    Wiki also, like for Tanks, is great reading to learn about each ship's strong points, weaknesses with recommendations on how to build and captain's skills, even how to play them.     There are tons of videos on U Tube that are great by Notser, Flamu, Flambu, Jingles, NoZoupForYou, iChase, Whiskey's Gaming Lounge just to name a few.

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
26 minutes ago, steelers_rule_2018 said:

Graf Spree sucks imo. It has zero armor it feels like. Scharnhorst is the best german bb or bc imo. I sold mine again yesterday. Thanks xmas crate. :-(

Spee is odd. Has 54% win rate...highest of all German cruisers I do believe. IMO has pretty dang good armor but it's learning curve is high.  Tricky ship for many to play.  So many yolo to the front in her but that's not a good thing to do in her at the start of a match. Good torps also. Fast torps. I also like Scharn. 

Edited by dmckay

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,222 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

^ yes and ask for help on the forums if you have questions or get stuck on how using a ship! unlike the WOT community the WOWS prides it self in helping each other out and are not as toxic!:fish_aqua:

[WOLFG]
Members
5,227 posts
3,049 battles

OP, one of the best things you could do is come here and ask questions.  And you've already done it.

Another thing is play different types of ships to give you a feel of what the opponent is doing.

[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
3 hours ago, jahawa said:

I am a long time WOT Blitz player who has been playing both WOWS and WOWS Blitz more lately. I have less than 100 battles in WOWS and close to 400 in blitz. I am pretty serious tank player, but not a great player. But I like to win.

I like winning in ships alos, but I am still a noob,  trying to figure out the strategies and techniques of the game. At this point I don't care that much about stats in ships, but I don't won't to be that guy we all hate in tanks; the one we call a window licker, who just drives around spinning their turrets.

In WOWS, I noticed I received several premium ships with a time limit on them. I also have a couple of tier 8's. I played the tier 6 Graf Spree yesterday and promptly got destroyed. I understand yoloing is not good, but I don't understand tactics real well yet. I am a WWII history buff, so I mostly understand the historical use of the different ships. In tanks one of the problems is higher tier tanks can be bought or won in containers and the player can be clueless about how to play.

3 hours ago, jahawa said:

The biggest difference between real life and WoWs is that in RL, you really wanted to cross the T of your opponent. In WoWs, to make the games playable in 20 min, distances are compressed, but gun penetration values are not adjusted to match. Which is a good thing so that you can play out a battle in 20 min instead of hours. So crossing the T in WoWs is an invitation for a salvo to give you lots of citadels.

Most people angle less than 45 degrees to make AP bounces happen more often.  You want them to shoot AP at your armor belt at a shallow enough angle to bounce the shells. Don't go too shallow though as there are overmatch mechanics so that battleship shells don't bounce off of very thin armor, like bow armor.  Here is some wiki articles on gunnery,
 http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration and http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds.

Note, HE shells can not bounce, but explode on contact. Their pen values are based on shell size and a pen factor. The HE pen info detail is in the first wiki article and the usual armor thicknesses is in the second.

Detection is similar to, but different than WoT. See this article for that. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection  I believe going dark is the term that relates to resetting camo in WoT.

You are at account level 12, so are out of newbie protected MM in PvP. One big advantage of WoWs over WoT, is co-op is available all the time. If you are having trouble applying some tactic or learning how some game mechanic works, pop into co-op. It's your team vs bots and is easier to learn in as the bots won't always auto-delete you on your first mistake. You can be WAY more aggressive and make more mistakes in co-op than PvP, so keep that in mind if you swap between the two modes. The bots are predictable in their behavior, so are generally easier to counter than players.

I do recommend playing T5+ in co-op until you get the hang of being bottom tier in a match. Here are the tiers each tier level sees.

T1 only sees T1. Beware, there is a group of T1 players who only play T1 and are very good if you run across some of them.

T2 only sees T2 and T3. You see DDs and Battleships for the first time at this tier.

T3 only sees T2 through T4. You see T4 CVs for the first time here. T3 ships tend to have bad AA.

T4 only sees T3 through T5. This is the last protected MM tier. The tiers after this are +2/-2.

T5 only sees T4 though T7. You can't see T3 as it is protected.

T6 only sees T5 through T8. You can't see T4 as it is protected.

T7 only sees T5 through T9.

T8 only sees T6 through T10.

T9 only sees T7 through T10. Better MM as there is no T11.

T10 only sees T8 through T10. You are always top tier as there is no tier 11.

Since you start seeing ships 2 tiers above you in T5+, I recommend playing co-op vs bots until you are comfortable being down 2 tiers vs bots. Once you are comfortable with that, then go back to PvP to learn to be comfortable vs players. I understand that if you are down 2 tiers in WoT, you are screwed. Not so in WoWs. You can compete and win being bottom tier, you just have to be more careful.

Looks like you got Ishizuchi, Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen for a rental try-out period since you said that they had a timer. Take Ishizuchi into PvP & co-op and try it's paces as T4 is protected MM. Do play Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen in co-op tho, so you can get an idea if you like them. At the end of the rental period, you will be given a chance to buy them if you want. Ishizuchi and Graf Spee are available in the tech tree for doubloons, port slot separate, and all three are in the shop for cash, port slot included. The pricing is the same, just whether or not you need a port slot. Check out LWM reviews below as she is the gold standard on ship reviews. She will also be the first to tell you to not just take her word on it, but to check other reviews as well. There are many YTs who review premium ships.

Port slots are normally priced at 300 doubloons, but periodically, you can get a sale for 150 each. Last Christmas had a 75 each sale and hopefully WG will do it again. Note, the T1 ships are free to buy back if you sell them, so if you need a port slot and don't want to buy one, you can free them up by selling T1 ships.

Cmdr training is not the same as WoT. You can take a DD Cmdr and put him in a CV, you just would want to change the skills to match the ones a CV uses. A Cmdr can only be trained for one ship at a time. To move the Cmdr to a different tech tree ship, you must retrain him. You can put the Cmdr into a premium ship of that nation, without retraining tho. A Cmdr who is retraining has his skills work at 50% or not at all depending on the skill. A Cmdr that is retraining that is put into a premium ship can use the skills at full force.

Let's look at your rental Ishizuchi. Say you start playing the Hashidate and earn enough XP to research the T2 Chikuma CL. You buy it and want to move your Cmdr, say 3 skill points, to the Chikuma. A 3 point Cmdr takes 2,000 Cmdr XP to retrain. (Cmdr XP always equals or exceeds the ship XP you earn from a battle). So you move the Cmdr to the Chikuma and can grind the 2k CmdrXP with the skills at 50% until you get the 2k Cmdr XP and the Cmdr is fully retrained. OR, you can move the Cmdr to the Chikuma to start the retraining. Once the retraining is started, you move the Cmdr to the Ishizuchi. Since the Zucchini is a premium, the Cmdr skills are full force and you earn the 2k Cmdr XP for retraining in the Ishizuchi and then move the Cmdr back to the Chikuma. NOTE, once you start the retraining for Chikuma, the Cmdr forgets all he learned in Hashidate and needs retraining to go back.

There are other ways to speed up Cmdr retraining. You can spend doubloons to instantly retrain. You can spend credits to cut the retraining time in half. You can spend Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP) on retraining as well. The cheapest is to spend the 200k credits and then use ECXP to finish the other half. If you have a 19pt Cmdr, your Cmdr XP is converted to ECXP that can be used on any Cmdr of any nation. There are also events, like the Halloween event, where you get rental ships and 19pt Cmdrs to earn ECXP in that event. Try to take advantage of those if you can. Here is the wiki on Cmdrs.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

Like others have said, we tend to be a friendly bunch, so ask away if you have questions. GL&FS.

Edited by Kizarvexis
spelling, I hate headaches :(
  • Cool 4

[HOOPR]
Members
11 posts
413 battles
13 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The biggest difference between real life and WoWs is that in RL, you really wanted to cross the T of your opponent. In WoWs, to make the games playable in 20 min, distances are compressed, but gun penetration values are not adjusted to match. Which is a good thing so that you can play out a battle in 20 min instead of hours. So crossing the T in WoWs is an invitation for a salvo to give you lots of citadels.

Most people angle less than 45 degrees to make AP bounces happen more often.  You want them to shoot AP at your armor belt at a shallow enough angle to bounce the shells. Don't go too shallow though as there are overmatch mechanics so that battleship shells don't bounce off of very thin armor, like bow armor.  Here is some wiki articles on gunnery,
 http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration and http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds.

Note, HE shells can not bounce, but explode on contact. Their pen values are based on shell size and a pen factor. The HE pen info detail is in the first wiki article and the usual armor thicknesses is in the second.

Detection is similar to, but different than WoT. See this article for that. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection  I believe going dark is the term that relates to resetting camo in WoT.

You are at account level 12, so are out of newbie protected MM in PvP. One big advantage of WoWs over WoT, is co-op is available all the time. If you are having trouble applying some tactic or learning how some game mechanic works, pop into co-op. It's your team vs bots and is easier to learn in as the bots won't always auto-delete you on your first mistake. You can be WAY more aggressive and make more mistakes in co-op than PvP, so keep that in mind if you swap between the two modes. The bots are predictable in their behavior, so are generally easier to counter than players.

I do recommend playing T5+ in co-op until you get the hang of being bottom tier in a match. Here are the tiers each tier level sees.

T1 only sees T1. Beware, there is a group of T1 players who only play T1 and are very good if you run across some of them.

T2 only sees T2 and T3. You see DDs and Battleships for the first time at this tier.

T3 only sees T2 through T4. You see T4 CVs for the first time here. T3 ships tend to have bad AA.

T4 only sees T3 through T5. This is the last protected MM tier. The tiers after this are +2/-2.

T5 only sees T4 though T7. You can't see T3 as it is protected.

T6 only sees T5 through T8. You can't see T4 as it is protected.

T7 only sees T5 through T9.

T8 only sees T6 through T10.

T9 only sees T7 through T10. Better MM as there is no T11.

T10 only sees T8 through T10. You are always top tier as there is no tier 11.

Since you start seeing ships 2 tiers above you in T5+, I recommend playing co-op vs bots until you are comfortable being down 2 tiers vs bots. Once you are comfortable with that, then go back to PvP to learn to be comfortable vs players. I understand that if you are down 2 tiers in WoT, you are screwed. Not so in WoWs. You can compete and win being bottom tier, you just have to be more careful.

Looks like you got Ishizuchi, Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen for a rental try-out period since you said that they had a timer. Take Ishizuchi into PvP & co-op and try it's paces as T4 is protected MM. Do play Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen in co-op tho, so you can get an idea if you like them. At the end of the rental period, you will be given a chance to buy them if you want. Ishizuchi and Graf Spee are available in the tech tree for doubloons, port slot separate, and all three are in the shop for cash, port slot included. The pricing is the same, just whether or not you need a port slot. Check out LWM reviews below as she is the gold standard on ship reviews. She will also be the first to tell you to not just take her word on it, but to check other reviews as well. There are many YTs who review premium ships.

Port slots are normally priced at 300 doubloons, but periodically, you can get a sale for 150 each. Last Christmas had a 75 each sale and hopefully WG will do it again. Note, the T1 ships are free to buy back if you sell them, so if you need a port slot and don't want to buy one, you can free them up by selling T1 ships.

Cmdr training is not the same as WoT. You can take a DD Cmdr and put him in a CV, you just would want to change the skills to match the ones a CV uses. A Cmdr can only be trained for one ship at a time. To move the Cmdr to a different tech tree ship, you must retrain him. You can put the Cmdr into a premium ship of that nation, without retraining tho. A Cmdr who is retraining has his skills work at 50% or not at all depending on the skill. A Cmdr that is retraining that is put into a premium ship can use the skills at full force.

Let's look at your rental Ishizuchi. Say you start playing the Hashidate and earn enough XP to research the T2 Chikuma CL. You buy it and want to move your Cmdr, say 3 skill points, to the Chikuma. A 3 point Cmdr takes 2,000 Cmdr XP to retrain. (Cmdr XP always equals or exceeds the ship XP you earn from a battle). So you move the Cmdr to the Chikuma and can grind the 2k CmdrXP with the skills at 50% until you get the 2k Cmdr XP and the Cmdr is fully retrained. OR, you can move the Cmdr to the Chikuma to start the retraining. Once the retraining is started, you move the Cmdr to the Ishizuchi. Since the Zucchini is a premium, the Cmdr skills are full force and you earn the 2k Cmdr XP for retraining in the Ishizuchi and then move the Cmdr back to the Chikuma. NOTE, once you start the retraining for Chikuma, the Cmdr forgets all he learned in Hashidate and needs retraining to go back.

There are other ways to speed up Cmdr retraining. You can spend doubloons to instantly retrain. You can spend credits to cut the retraining time in half. You can spend Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP) on retraining as well. The cheapest is to spend the 200k credits and then use ECXP to finish the other half. If you have a 19pt Cmdr, your Cmdr XP is converted to ECXP that can be used on any Cmdr of any nation. There are also events, like the Halloween event, where you get rental ships and 19pt Cmdrs to earn ECXP in that event. Try to take advantage of those if you can. Here is the wiki on Cmdrs.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

Like others have said, we tend to be a friendly bunch, so ask away if you have questions. GL&FS.

Wow. Thanks so much for taking the time to share. I can see the learning curve is fairly steep like tanks. It just takes time. I haven't made the effort to put a lot into ships yet. Thanks for explaining co-op. Didn't have a clue what it was. I will certainly avail myself of that mode.

[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
7 minutes ago, jahawa said:

Wow. Thanks so much for taking the time to share. I can see the learning curve is fairly steep like tanks. It just takes time. I haven't made the effort to put a lot into ships yet. Thanks for explaining co-op. Didn't have a clue what it was. I will certainly avail myself of that mode.

You are welcome.

There are people who never go back to co-op after the initial newbie phase. There are people who never play PvP. Most players play some of both in various amounts. Some tasks are much easier in co-op than PvP and the reverse. If you have a task that is getting wins, then play co-op as a 90-95% WR in co-op is normal. If you need a certain amount XP, play PvP as the rewards in co-op are nerfed pretty hard as it is easier than PvP. Once you get into T6+ ships, scenarios are kind of a go between. The bots are scripted, so will generally play better than co-op, but still not as tough as PvP. The first time rewards in Scenarios are better as well, including a day of premium time, a 10 pt Cmdr and ECXP for various star levels along with signals, camo and the like. Once you earn a star the first time, you won't get the reward again. But the XP and credits for playing are very nice, so OPs are popular.

The scenarios rotate each Wednesday, so you can play the Operation of the Week with anyone that is in the queue. You can play the off-week Operations, but you have to have a division of 4-7 to play those. Once you get into Allied T6-T7 DDs, then people love to grind them in Dynamo as it is a great way to get DD XP.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,607 posts
12,342 battles
4 hours ago, jahawa said:

Welcome to WoWS. 

With regards to strategy, there are a few basic things you can do to improve rapidly. Firstly, don’t rush in - getting focused by the entire enemy team means you die. Don’t drive alone - stick with a couple of friendly ships, and shoot at what they are shooting at - focusing enemy targets brings them down faster and helps keep you alive. Use your minimap to work out the flow of battle - is most of the enemy driving towards me, or away from me? If they are coming towards me, turn away early and ‘kite’ them. If they are running, push harder. Don’t die for a cap - staying alive til late battles means you have more control over winning or losing. Don’t camp at the back of the map - which is particularly temping in long-ranged battleships - controlled aggression wins battles. 

Just like in WoT, there are harder and easier ship lines and types to play. For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and fun to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at (and carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing).  Whilst the first American Carrier, Langley, is the best at Tier 4, the Japanese (IJN) tech tree carriers from Tier 5 and up are superior to massively superior to their American carriers (for no historical reason). 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

Good luck!

[2CUTE]
Members
201 posts
2,496 battles
5 hours ago, jahawa said:

I actually used to play WoTB a lot before I started playing wows. Some key things are

If you have big calibre guns (300mm+) it's usually best to stick with AP shells. Anything else is more situational. 

Sidescraping doesn't exist in WoWs (though I did have some fun in training rooms with a bismarck in public test) so don't try to ram your bow into an island :cap_yes: Your bow armour is usually sufficient to bounce stuff in bbs unless you're fighting against a yamato; destroyers and cruisers you would need to maneuver more because relying on your bow to bounce stuff isn't a good habit. 

WoWs's version of an ammo rack is a citadel (technically it's a detonation, but those are very rare) which basically meaning that you have penetrated a ships vital components like engine rooms, magazines, etc. Learn how to citadel enemy ships because its pretty important if you want to play battleships or cruisers. 

Detection range is important to remember, each ship has a different one and it can help you understand if you will get detected or not (and therefore, get shot at). 

Edited by iEatChickenMcNuggets

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
597 posts
12,461 battles
21 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Welcome to WoWS. 

With regards to strategy, there are a few basic things you can do to improve rapidly. Firstly, don’t rush in - getting focused by the entire enemy team means you die. Don’t drive alone - stick with a couple of friendly ships, and shoot at what they are shooting at - focusing enemy targets brings them down faster and helps keep you alive. Use your minimap to work out the flow of battle - is most of the enemy driving towards me, or away from me? If they are coming towards me, turn away early and ‘kite’ them. If they are running, push harder. Don’t die for a cap - staying alive til late battles means you have more control over winning or losing. Don’t camp at the back of the map - which is particularly temping in long-ranged battleships - controlled aggression wins battles. 

Good luck!

^This^.

• Also, regardless of what you're shooting at if you're not doing damage with AP rounds then switch to HE.
  • The mini-map is you're friend and will save your life. Always watch where the enemy is, especially destroyers. Enable your map to show last known locations of ships
  • Never rush a ship that is armed with torpedoes hiding behind an island, unless you are mobile enough to dodge the steel fishes
  • If your ship is on fire, but it's only one fire, never put it out unless it will kill you. The minute you put out one early fire, two more will take it's place
  • Always angle and never expose your broadside (easier said than done)
  • Never, ever, sail in a straight line for an extended period of time. 

Finally, have fun!

[POP]
[POP]
Members
206 posts
10,744 battles

If I was doing it all over I would stick with T-3 and 4 for a long time. It's easy to advance well beyond your skill level. There are some superb players at all tiers so the competition is still good even at T4 but there are enough learners there that you can feel like you are getting better. Things start to change at T5 because you can now face T7. The higher the competition the more punishment for a mistake. You can be instantly deleted there by a bb salvo. 

I and a lot of players see someone ready to make a mistake, turning broadside at the wrong time, and we hold our fire and delete you for it. 

You can learn basics against bots, pvp is WAY different and more challenging. You will think people are cheating but its they have played lots of games. 

Strategy is a major part of the game, and its complicated since you are playing with people that you cannot communicate well with. 

I thought I had a lot games played when I hit 400. I have over 6000 now. And last month I learned a different style of playing that helped my win rate.

Good luck

[HOOPR]
Members
11 posts
413 battles

I have played a few battles since starting this post. Both Co-op and regular. The bottom line is I suck big time....Lol.

But as I re-read the post today, I can see a lot of things I am doing wrong. Basically I play too aggressive. I am used to Blitz in tanks and ships, which is a fast paced battle. So I need to slow down.

Thanks once again to all that have posted your thoughts. It's a lot to digest, but it has all been helpful.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,368 posts
14,639 battles

I also recommend @Lord_Zath's channel as probably the best one for learning how to play the game well. He takes time to specifically give advice on players' replays when they ask, and is generally very helpful with personalized tips.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,318 posts
17,180 battles

o/

• Cool 2