You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ChubbyLuver

Kutuzov really an OP ship?

32 comments in this topic

[AVW]
Members
29 posts
4,360 battles

Is it really worthy of being pulled from the game? I see other's profiles whom own the ship, and it's one of their least played. I was always under the impression that it had smoke and radar, which would be over powered no doubt. But smoke and hydro is very much a British cruiser playstyle. High explosive shells is what I'm assuming made it 'overpowered' but with the emergence of so many recent tier 8 9 and 10 radar ships, broadside in your smoke isn't such a comfortable place to be anymore. I suppose this could be said of the Belfast as well. I love tier 8. I love cruisers. And I particularly love the Russian line. But, even if they were to put it in the premium shop today I would have a difficult time convincing myself to spend the 50-60 dollars they would be asking for this ship. 

I am a newer player and don't doubt that early on this ship had a lot going for it. Particularly against the limited ship tree that was available in the early game. But now? With alaska, Wichita, Balti, Cleve, chappy, and so many others at higher tiers with radar this ship doesnt seem so scary. 
I've played against them a few times in matches and never really felt intimidated or outclassed by the kutuzov.

• Cool 1

[RMRGD]
Members
399 posts
19,284 battles

Before the smoke changes oh so long ago she was a very very strong ship in anyones hands.   I would say the same about the Flint.    Since the smoke changes shes a strong ship but I think far from OP.    Anything within 8km will spot you through your smoke, and with the minimap changes, you can easily blind shoot MK in her smoke now.     Aside from that, MK is still a very strong ship as her range is great, she is a flame thrower, and her torps are very usable. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,105 posts
5,904 battles

for the majority of the fortnite casual players,yesh,she is OP.

for the players that AT LEAST try to understand the game mechanis,she is a good ship,not OP.

kutuzov is great at randoms since randoms lack coordination,if she get's radar'd though,she is toast.

• Boring 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,932 posts
4,570 battles
7 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

for the majority of the fortnite casual players,yesh,she is OP.

for the players that AT LEAST try to understand the game mechanis,she is a good ship,not OP.

kutuzov is great at randoms since randoms lack coordination,if she get's radar'd though,she is toast.

As a Kutuzov player, I can agree with that.

With coordination and teamwork, the flame thrower can be put out because she has paper-thin armor.

[SHEEP]
Members
204 posts
4,023 battles

it's good at farming damage and not much else since the smoke change. If you've got really good aim it can still be annoying to destroyers but it's a lot harder and much, much riskier

[AVW]
Members
29 posts
4,360 battles

I completely forgot about the changes to smoke. At one time removing the ship from the game was perhaps the right move. However, it looks like an over reaction now. 

I get the feeling WG is keeping certain ships unattainable simply to sell more crates and super bundles for $800 if that's the only way you can get those ships I'll pass. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,105 posts
5,904 battles
Just now, ChubbyLuver said:

I completely forgot about the changes to smoke. At one time removing the ship from the game was perhaps the right move. However, it looks like an over reaction now. 

I get the feeling WG is keeping certain ships unattainable simply to sell more crates and super bundles for $800 if that's the only way you can get those ships I'll pass. 

DING DING DING* WE HAVE A WINNER,LADIES AND GENTLEMAN.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,264 posts
5,541 battles

I love my Kutuzov but I haven't played it much lately due to building my Mass captain up. I don't consider her OP even with smoke and torps and she's not a close in fighter her hull is made of tinfoil. What she does best is kite and spam HE at range supporting others and look for engagements with foolish cruisers and Dds to punish. 

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
645 posts
4,814 battles

smoke firing changes and radar proliferation have removed much of what made MK look OP But she is still a Chappy with usable torps, smoke, great AA, with rail guns.  Surely OP compared to tech tree ship.  MK drivers will pop smoke and spam where they are safe from radar and torps — 15 km from targets.  

[PVE]
Members
8,709 posts
15,541 battles

OP? No. Close to OP? Probably.  I find it a vastly superior ship to Belfast. Love my Kutuzov and I typical detest Russian CL's. IFHE + DE + CE and it is a flame throwing nightmare.

[CK5]
Members
1,045 posts
9,310 battles

Kutuzov is a good ship that can spam long range HE under the protection of smoke, very little different from RN cruisers that can spam long range AP under protection of smoke.  The smoke firing nerf reduced Kutuzov's effectiveness by quite a bit, although, it is still a decent ship in skillful hands.  It is certainly not OP and WG was not being entirely forthright by pulling it from sale. 

Edit:  I should add that because T8 Kutuzov was uptiered frequently, its fire starting abilities were reduced against T9 and T10 opponents because of the low fire starting coefficients at those Tiers.  

Edited by PrairiePlayer

Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles

I've found that the Kutuzov isn't OP, the people who play her are. Most of the Kutuzov players I've faced in my BBs are uncannily good at avoiding by shots. They always slow down and speed up at just the right times to throw off my aim.

[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,251 battles

When I started this game I bought both the Belfast and Kutuzov and spammed 1000+ matches continuously in them. For most part I didn't know what I was doing but still was able to get good damage and 50%+ WR. In fact I really enjoyed playing both the ships and got a lot of abuses hurled at me (by the reds of course). But once I started grinding the tech tree ships I realised that the challenges offered by them is real fun and exciting. I totally stopped playing both the ships and dont remember how many months have passed by (all I remember is I stopped playing them way before the smoke nerf). I am sure now if I start playing them I will do better in them than before with the tools they have at disposal but somehow I really dont find them exciting (I own all the so called OP ships but I have come to realise I don't enjoy them).

Edited by sansfaille

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

I actually think Kutuzov is quite balanced after the smoke changes.

Quite frankly, if I wanted to win and deal damage, I would bring a chappayev, because its radar is a better tool for winning.

Kutuzov's bane are bad DD players on its team that yolo and die, leaving Kutuzov without a DD screen to keep red DDs out of 7.7km smoke firing spotting range.

[WORX]
Members
4,171 posts
15,285 battles

The Kutuzov now is not OP, her last nerf to her firing in smoke (the One stat not shown in the WIKI). Her concealment in smoke is what really help her achieve her reputation.

Now, I would use her as a long/mid range  attack ship. The AP will reach out and say hello! To cruiser citadels with razor like speed. She is a BBs tears starter from long range.

The KUTU does hold her own, BUT because of power creep of support consumables, the high over powered capabilities of certain Ship types, make her no longer the feared ship she once was.

I still take her for a spin, but A LOT has changed from when I first got her to now @tiers 8 9 and 10.

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

oh, and circle marks the spot is really good at nailing ships sitting in smoke.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
3 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

It's no longer OP since the smoke firing changes were pretty hard on it.

and everyone is swinging radar now as well. 

Still a great ship!

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,374 posts
14,850 battles

With a range of 19.1 km,  how do you get radared?

Smoke up, use rail gun IFHE and melt BB's....

• Cool 3

Members
842 posts
9,792 battles
6 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Oh my God someone actually gets it!

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
2,098 posts
2 hours ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

I love my Kutuzov but I haven't played it much lately due to building my Mass captain up. I don't consider her OP even with smoke and torps and she's not a close in fighter her hull is made of tinfoil. What she does best is kite and spam HE at range supporting others and look for engagements with foolish cruisers and Dds to punish. 

Bingo!

Back in the day when I played my Micky a lot, the last thing I ever looked for was a brawl.

TBH, I used speed and rudder shift a lot more than smoke, zipping in to get off a few firestorm salvos and then zip out of range for another opportunity. Smoke was nice for throwing off a faster pursuer.

[SIM]
Members
3,756 posts
6,218 battles

No, she’s not at all OP now. They really should bring her back, but as was pointed out earlier, WG wants to hoard her as crate fodder. They did the same thing with the Type 59 in World of Tanks, a vehicle that was pulled from sale years ago but has been statistically mediocre for most of that time.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,303 posts
18,624 battles

+ Russian Railgun 152mm reaching out to 19km with very good accuracy and velocity

+ Smoke

+ 8km torps

+ Good AA coupled with Defensive Fire

And this is not considered OP these days even with the smoke gunfire detection changes?

So, when does Cleveland, Helena, Worcester, Seattle get Smoke?

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,446 posts
8,115 battles

It used to be op, it was a russian cruiser with long range, smoke, high velocity shells, 8km torps, etc. Basically a straight upgrade to the chappy in every way except radar. It used to be that a kut could smoke around a corner by a cap an burn anything down that dared to get close, plus it had hydro and torps for anything that tried to rush the cap. Now it has a long smoke detection range forcing it to play much more passively even with the smoke. 

But even beyond its abilities the Kut was the center of controversy when it was released. It was released right before the AFT changes and its range was buffed to compensate while other light cruisers were not. A lot of people thought that this showed a favoritism by WG toward russian ships. 

Now the Kut is still a strong ship even if its not as strong as it used to be. The fact that it has not needed buffs while other tier 8 premiums from the same era have received several buffs shows just how strong it was when it was released. It does however need to be played much more passively than it used to, being a Chappy its easy to delete especially when stopping or starting again. A kut sitting in smoke that was just spotted is very vulnerable so a lot of the people that bought the ship no longer play it because its not brain dead op anymore. You know are forced to be very careful because the enemy can push it very heavily. That being said if your are a BB and there is a good Kut on your team good luck. 

[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

If that's how you play it... then please stop.