Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Commemorative Flags for Battles and map military installations

8 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,637 posts
17,774 battles

The week gone by I finished a couple of collections which gave me access to  a number of nations ships being allowed to have two flags on them, so I went to work looking around at what flags I wanted on which ships, now granted I don't have all the flags that have ever been granted to players but like most players here I have quiet a few.

While going through them I noticed that while there was not a great deal of actual battle commemorative Flags the majority were Allied either USN or RN very strange.

For the last 3 years I have played the game we have had  Events, Challenges and Combat Missions and now Personal Missions which have involved Historical battles and yet we seem to have very few Axis Commemorative Flags.  

Here is a breakdown of the Flags I have :

USN

Midway Flag

Great Marianas Turkey Shoot Flag

Vella  Gulf Flag

75th Anniversary Of The Naval battle Of Guadalcanal

RN

A Hard fought Victory ( Battle Of Trafalgar )

D -Day flag

Battle Of Dunkirk Flag  ( questionable since it was a humiliating defeat for the BEF )

Dunkirk Evacuation flag ( again questionable yes they did a amazing job saving the army but the fact remains the BEF got booted off the European mainland with its tail between its legs )

Battle Of Jutland Flag ( the most questionable one )  this flag was first issued when you bought the Warspite/ Campbeltown  pack, a year later for the Jutland anniversary if you finished combat missions you received it, the battle was indecisive but most people agree that it was a German tactical and operational victory and yet the flag had British symbols.

IJN

Pearl harbour 75th Anniversary Flag 

KMS / SMS  ( German )

none

RM  ( Italian ) 

none

MN  ( French )

none

VMF ( Russian )

none  ( very strange this one being Russian company was expecting something here )

Both the German and Japanese navies had numerous naval victories in the Russo /Japan war, war first world war and second world war and yet virtually nothing in the way commemorative battle flags very strange.

Did some research on the Italian Navy and although it was tough they did indeed have some well earned victories in the second world war again nothing and we have had a few combat missions in recent times for some of those battles.

We have had a incredible amount of flags issued out with a wide variety events and anniversaries but almost none for ships that were part of the former Axis Nations for the victories at sea but again I will mention we have had a number events for those nations including the Bismarck operation that include the Battle of Denmark Strait, very strange.

Next subject

The other day I was playing a game on the Hotspot got sunk early so decided to have look at the airstrip there just for fun, went in and got close look at it notice all the USN insignia and markings on vehicles realized it represented a USN naval which was cool I thought then I started to try and picture in my mind the other maps and the other military installations on them.

I know that not every map in the game has military animations on it but most are civilian, I do know there is a Russian meteorological base on Polar but as far as my memory is concerned the few bases on the various maps are USN or generic don't recall seeing any bases with IJN or KMS flags flying over them of course I could be wrong I'm certain people that read this that have actually studied the maps in greater detail will point this out.

Just hope the next round of maps that have bases will be a mixture of all the nations that are involved in this game would be nice.

regards                

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 2

[WMD]
Members
825 posts
7,065 battles

German and Japanese victory flags would be a political quagmire that WG likely doesn't want to get into. As a general rule, even the former Axis countries don't celebrate their own victories in WWII.

Dunkrik was a defeat, but not an embarassing one for the BEF. If you want to talk embarrasing defeats, Singapore is the one to use when talking about the British.

I would like to see more battles added, and I'm sure WG will get to it over time.

Edited by VeatherVitch

[POP]
Members
964 posts
11,540 battles

This got me thinking about commemorative flags.

Wargaming really has dropped the ball on commemorating certain military battles and events.

I think it would be a decent gesture to honor the men who fought these battles, without making it into something political.

As a game that glorifies war, the opportunity is there to educate and reflect on these events that shaped history!

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,235 posts
8,389 battles

victories, or defeats, it is curious there are no flags. But, devil's advocate I am

1 hour ago, tm63au said:

Both the German and Japanese navies had numerous naval victories [...], war first world war and second world war and yet virtually nothing in the way commemorative battle flags very strange.

name some/ name any that are unproblematic.

Even Jutland in 1915, can only be counted as a German victory, in that they operated a succesful retreat back to port, never to contest the RN toe to toe, again. Strategically, it was most assuredly, a British victory, however costly a victory.

During WW2, the Battle of the Atlantic saw German submarines sink plenty of merchant ships, but ultimately, the Kriegsmarine lost that battle too, and if you value your marbles...

Pearl Harbour, can be counted as a Japanese naval victory, but if you value your marbles, you won't hoist a flag, celebrating it.

Other important IJN tactical victories occured during WW2, but none can be considered, strategically advantageous. Outright victories, such as the sinking of PoW and Repulse, seem impressive on paper, but set against the scale of events, they were quite minor. Besides, if you value your marbles, you won't hoist a flag celebrating their sinking of these 2 RN warships.

I got bored playing devil's advocate and hunting down examples, so stopped here, for now :Smile_glasses:

[POP]
Members
1,333 posts
15,882 battles
5 hours ago, LoveBote said:

victories, or defeats, it is curious there are no flags. But, devil's advocate I am

name some/ name any that are unproblematic.

Even Jutland in 1915, can only be counted as a German victory, in that they operated a succesful retreat back to port, never to contest the RN toe to toe, again. Strategically, it was most assuredly, a British victory, however costly a victory.

During WW2, the Battle of the Atlantic saw German submarines sink plenty of merchant ships, but ultimately, the Kriegsmarine lost that battle too, and if you value your marbles...

Pearl Harbour, can be counted as a Japanese naval victory, but if you value your marbles, you won't hoist a flag, celebrating it.

Other important IJN tactical victories occured during WW2, but none can be considered, strategically advantageous. Outright victories, such as the sinking of PoW and Repulse, seem impressive on paper, but set against the scale of events, they were quite minor. Besides, if you value your marbles, you won't hoist a flag celebrating their sinking of these 2 RN warships.

I got bored playing devil's advocate and hunting down examples, so stopped here, for now :Smile_glasses:

Even if you ignore the fact Japan had roughly 6 months of victories you are still left with a lot of other actions that could be commemorated by the Commonwealth and the UK. I personally am not sure Japanese victories should be ignored, Savo Island, Tassafaronga, and Santa Cruz come to mind off the top of my head. That said I am a fan of history and that more or less has to be viewed in whole, the good and the bad, to be truly understood and teach the lessons it should. Just giving the devil(s advocate) his dues.

Can they do it, sure, will they do it … probably not. They made camos for both Hood and Bismarck commemorating their losses, it is entirely possible to recognize an enemies accomplishments for what they were while remining respectful to all involved, though some events are easier than others to do that with.

[WMD]
Members
825 posts
7,065 battles

I think the events, flags, etc. are a bit USN and IJN slanted because that's where the major WWII surface fleet engagements happened. The RN was essentially uncontested in the Atlantic, and the the Med doesn't have the same glamour attached the the Pacific does from Hollywood movies.

I'd like to see a Battle of the Atlantic event or commorative flag come up now that tare RCN and RN DDs in the game along with their USN counterparts.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,235 posts
8,389 battles
58 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

Battle of the Atlantic event or commorative flag

I'd expect such a flag to accompany the release of a German submarine tech tree alongside a Battle of the Atlantic event, with anti-sub equipped RN and USN dds, whenever that happens in the next few years of WOWS development; but even that might be touchy.

Sign in to follow this