You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Atom_Alchemist

Well..Wikipedia dun [edited] up!

112 comments in this topic

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts

So...What are y'all's opinion on the fact that THIS was the featured article yesterday, On National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

image.thumb.png.326995be2f08f3786568e419abd23c64.png

And the fact that she was the flagship of Yamomoto during the attack on Pearl Harbor? I mean seriously. someone is either trolling at a hellish level, or Wikipedia dun goofs..badly...

Edited by Atom_Alchemist
  • Boring 5

[DDM_]
Members
1,552 posts
4,343 battles

It's history my man, in this case it's history that ties in to a major historical event (the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor). You can't erase it just because you don't like it, or are you one of those folks that believes tearing statues down because you don't like the history they represent is a good idea?

• Cool 4

Members
1,085 posts
5,897 battles
59 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

I mean seriously. someone is either trolling at a hellish level,

That was my hope when this whole attitude of being offended and triggered by anything and everything started to surge into the mainstream.

I was wrong to hope. People are just this absurd. 

[INTEL]
Members
7,156 posts
29,701 battles

Obviously you do not know how Wikipedia works.

The Featured Article is done by a committee of volunteers. If you disagree with their choices, you can make your voice heard, before it is placed in the queue; (they just do not decide "one morning" what to put in for today). 99% of the work you see in Wikipedia is done by volunteers. Although I am not involved in the Featured Articles section (have enough on my Wikipedia volunteer work already), I have been a Wikipedia editor for over 14 years.

Go contribute. We need good quality writers and editors all the time.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 4

Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles

History shouldn't be sanitized so that the winners can glamourize themselves and bask in their own sense of self-righteousness. The ugly parts should always be remembered.

• Cool 3

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
4 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

History shouldn't be sanitized so that the winners can glamourize themselves and bask in their own sense of self-righteousness. The ugly parts should always be remembered.

I'm not against nagato being the featured article, hell i'm okay with that, I am just against that it was the article for a day of memorial for the attack on pearl harbor.

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
6 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Obviously you do not know how Wikipedia works.

The Featured Article is done by a committee of volunteers. If you disagree with their choices, you can make your voice heard, before it is placed in the queue; (they just do not decide "one morning" what to put in for today). 99% of the work you see in Wikipedia is done by volunteers. Although I am not involved in the Featured Articles section (have enough on my Wikipedia volunteer work already), I have been a Wikipedia editor for over 14 years.

Go contribute. We need good quality writers and editors all the time.

I do contribute on articles I feel confident in. it's the timing that sorta annoyed me.

Alpha Tester
5,944 posts
2,876 battles
13 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

I'm not against nagato being the featured article, hell i'm okay with that, I am just against that it was the article for a day of memorial for the attack on pearl harbor.

You're proving my point. You think that December 7 should be about putting the winners of WWII on a pedestal to be worshipped. Why not spend at least some time on such an auspicious day looking at things from the perspective of the "bad guys"? Maybe you'll learn something new in the process.

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
1,596 posts
10,045 battles
19 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

News Flash -  Pearl Harbour is hugely important primarily to Americans, Wikipedia isn't just for Americans.

Lets put it this way - Wikipedia DOESN'T daily use the daily article to mark every other nations milestones.... odds are for every day some cricket player is featured, a tragedy engraved in a nations memory was overlooked.

Which is pretty much like life goes...

• Cool 2

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
4 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

You're proving my point. You think that December 7 should be about putting the winners of WWII on a pedestal to be worshipped. Why not spend at least some time on such an auspicious day looking at things from the perspective of the "bad guys"? Maybe you'll learn something new in the process.

No, i simply think that running that particuler ad on a memorial day, is insensitive. lets remove teh winner and loser dichotomy that you describe, it's as poorly timed as say running a Enola Gay featured article on Aug 6th and 9th on the japanese wikipedia portal.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,637 posts

Historical articles should be an objective as possible. If certain events are not included because of "feelings" then that which remains tends towards propaganda. It's interesting, and more than a bit sad, that much of ancient history tends toward propaganda, with the actual fact well hidden, if any remains at all. Modern historians should not interpret events so much as document them as precisely as possible. Let the interpretation be in texts of historical commentary, not per se those recording the history itself.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 5

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
4 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

News Flash -  Pearl Harbour is hugely important primarily to Americans, Wikipedia isn't just for Americans.

Lets put it this way - Wikipedia DOESN'T daily use the daily article to mark every other nations milestones.... odds are for every day some cricket player is featured, a tragedy engraved in a nations memory was overlooked.

Which is pretty much like life goes...

The featured article is specific to each LANGUAGE, and, the united states makes up 64% of the native english speakers on the planet...

• Funny 1

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Historical articles should be an objective as possible. If certain events are not included because of "feelings" then that which remains tends towards propaganda. It's interesting, and more than a bit sad, that much of ancient history tends toward propaganda, with the actual fact well hidden, if any remains at all. Modern historians should not interpret events so much as document them as precisely as possible. Let the interpretation be in texts of historical commentary, not per se those recording the history itself.

i'm not talking about censorship. I'm just pointing out the Wikipedfia chose to have the flagship of the pearl harbor attack as that featured article...on a day where ~65% of there target audience(united states) are morning those very same attacks.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,016 posts
6,017 battles
Just now, Atom_Alchemist said:

i'm not talking about censorship. I'm just pointing out the Wikipedfia chose to have the flagship of the pearl harbor attack as that featured article...on a day where ~65% of there target audience(united states) are morning those very same attacks.

65% is a pretty high number, though it kinda assumes a fairly major thing: that we all are. I don't think most people even know what today is. If not for people talking about it here, I know I wouldn't. And, now that I know, I still am not, as I don't see such things as something to be mourned, just remembered.

Beta Testers
1,596 posts
10,045 battles
3 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

The featured article is specific to each LANGUAGE, and, the united states makes up 64% of the native english speakers on the planet...

So what?  My point stands.  American history doesn't have some kind of extra importance that means the rest of us need to constantly hear about JFK and Pearl Harbour, and...

If nothing else, it should be an object lesson for you that teh world isn't America-centric.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
1,596 posts
10,045 battles
13 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Yup - teh contrast between the traditional depiction of Empress Theodora and her actual life are pretty extreme - simply because the primary source of the traditional image was written by a person who loathed her and Justinian.

Beta Testers
1,596 posts
10,045 battles
12 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

Sigh.  mourning.  Are you sure about your English?

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
12 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Sigh.  mourning.  Are you sure about your English?

meh, it was a missed keystroke, arguing about typos, especially at like 5 in the morning is just silly.

[WOLF8]
Members
379 posts
7,296 battles
1 hour ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

The world should revolve around your sensibilities and sensitivities, millennial.

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
Just now, MikeLWX said:

The world should revolve around your sensibilities and sensitivities, millennial.

Not a millennial, and i'm just pointing out that on a webpage designed for a majority AMERICAN audience, it might be inconsiderate to "glorify" a vessal used in a attack on america...on the day that america is remembering that very same attack.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,677 posts
20,680 battles
5 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

Not a millennial, and i'm just pointing out that on a webpage designed for a majority AMERICAN audience, it might be inconsiderate to "glorify" a vessal used in a attack on america...on the day that america is remembering that very same attack.

If anyone is triggered by the service record of a ship, then I think the problem is with that person, not the ship nor Wiki...... We are literally being ruled by the feelings of the immature and ignorant in this country, getting tired of how they feel.  We should have put a stop to this nonsense years ago by giving the gift of feeling... The gift of feeling a boot in the buttocks to the whiners. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,596 posts
10,045 battles
3 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

meh, it was a missed keystroke, arguing about typos, especially at like 5 in the morning is just silly.

And so is thinking the world revolves around your values. 

Just now, Atom_Alchemist said:

No, it isn't.  English is spoken around the world, because the UK spread it's use -  Population number means nothing - You're basically saying if it's English, that's Murrica's! - despite the fact that, well, if any nation owns the right to claim English content as being "theirs", it kinda HAS to be.... England.

For the record - I think Pearl Harbour was a tragic loss of life.  But If I marked every tragedy any nation ever felt...

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,014 posts
Just now, Nukelavee45 said:

And so is thinking the world revolves around your values. 

No, it isn't.  English is spoken around the world, because the UK spread it's use -  Population number means nothing - You're basically saying if it's English, that's Murrica's! - despite the fact that, well, if any nation owns the right to claim English content as being "theirs", it kinda HAS to be.... England.

For the record - I think Pearl Harbour was a tragic loss of life.  But If I marked every tragedy any nation ever felt...

english is spoken by about 1.5 bill people. but there are only about 360 million NATIVE english speakers, of which 65% reside in the united states, ergo a webpage that is specifically designed in ENGLISH, can be said to be made for primarily a american audience, 

[INTEL]
Members
7,156 posts
29,701 battles
45 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

Where do you get that idea and those numbers? Can you substantiate with reliable references? Note before you do, that population does not equate with readership. I would say most young Americans have no clue. As a test, while going to the store on Dec 7th, I told two cashiers (American born, and American accent both), to remember the date and both had a blank stare. Huh? I told them Pearl Harbor and again they didn't have a clue nor care. You may be misrepresenting the average American under a certain age.

Wikipedia is global, and published in over 100 languages. There are many millions of readers, and contributors by the thousands, from all over the world, even non-English speaking countries.

Wikipedia is not censored, and doesn't cater to a particular audience. If you disagree with some of their choices (again, it is not Wikipedia as an entity but their volunteer writers and administrators), this is not the place to complain. Make your voice heard there.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 2

Members
1,160 posts
8,080 battles
9 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

What makes you think the majority of americans agree with you? For modern americans I think 9/11 matters a lot more to be honest. Both in terms of emotions and current world politics. Pearl harbor was tragic but it's also old news, it's time to let go and move on. Leave the past in the past.

• Cool 1