Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_DukeofYork

This banner at the top of the main forum page amuses me

15 comments in this topic

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles

Reality or not (and we know, of course, that it is [and, if anything, that this year might be worse than others]), given the current hardening political viewpoint of microtransactions - increasingly seeing them as little more than gambling - I think it's a bit of an... odd... choice to showcase a couple of dice in that advertisement. Just my two cents, but... maybe that's not what you want to emphasize there, Wargaming?

i2Xs3EC.png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[WOLF5]
Members
2,311 posts
2,949 battles

Yeah, I had a chuckle too. Was thinking the loot boxes weren't exactly gambling, but I guess WG sees it differently.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,235 posts
8,382 battles

I saw that, and understood we are being trolled (a little crude, as trolls go). All those banned  absent from premium shop warships, absent because according to WG, OP. The pair of dice are like the cherry on the cake of this bait.

Spoiler

I hear Mediterranean Cyprus is a great place to work, even in Winter.

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
18 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I saw that, and understood we are being trolled (a little crude, as trolls go). All those banned  absent from premium shop warships, absent because according to WG, OP. The pair of dice are like the cherry on the cake of this bait.

Reveal hidden contents

I hear Mediterranean Cyprus is a great place to work, even in Winter.

Seems like a more desperate push than usual to push more crates, if you ask me.  Like teasing a child with a toy they'll probably never get.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,235 posts
8,382 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Seems like a more desperate push than usual to push more crates, if you ask me.  Like teasing a child with a toy they'll probably never get.

You are surely right. 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles
7 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yet it seems to be working quite effectively, so maybe we are children after all.

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
10 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Yet it seems to be working quite effectively, so maybe we are children after all.

Even without hard numbers, we all know the crates sell pretty good every year, as they are usually the best loot boxes you can get in WoWS.  It just seems like an extra big push this time around.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Even without hard numbers, we all know the crates sell pretty good every year, as they are usually the best loot boxes you can get in WoWS.  It just seems like an extra big push this time around.

Agreed, though I would argue the Black Friday crates seemed more generous with ships this time.

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,762 battles
10 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Agreed, though I would argue the Black Friday crates seemed more generous with ships this time.

Perhaps.  But there were only 4 ships you could get in those, and they were potentially duplicates of something you already had.

The Christmas crates have more of a big win legacy to them, considering this was our first ever sight of Black Friday crates.

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
825 posts
7,065 battles

I also think many people's disappointment with this years Santa crates comes from the fact they have most of the premium ships they wanted already, so getting the less desirable ships in the crates makes them see like a lesser value compared to previous years. I know for me there are really only a couple of ships I want that I don't already have  compared to previous years, so my chances of getting one in a Santa crate is pretty low.

I did appreciate the taunt from WG in the banner though, if you buy the crates expecting to win those super rare boats you would likely fall for some other scam this time of year anyway lol.

• Funny 1

[UFFA]
Members
1,608 posts
68 battles

Honestly this. I’ve been slightly better this year on the premium front however I did pick up every premium I wanted. 

[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles

Dice is symbolic of chance, not gambling. Chance is often associated with gambling, but the two are not one in the same.

Gambling: There is a risk of losing 100% the money you put in.

Loot Boxes (if done right): 0% risk of losing  100% the money you put in. Either break Even, or Make Profit. <---this is the route WG has chosen to go, thankfully.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
650 posts
4,821 battles
41 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Dice is symbolic of chance, not gambling. Chance is often associated with gambling, but the two are not one in the same.

Gambling: There is a risk of losing 100% the money you put in.

Loot Boxes (if done right): 0% risk of losing  100% the money you put in. Either break Even, or Make Profit. <---this is the route WG has chosen to go, thankfully.

^^^THIS^^^.   Been with WG since 2012 and can say that i have always received equal or greater value from purchaed crates or other drop boxes.  Did i always get a ship, tank, or the golden goose?  No of course not.  But every time i got flags, gold/dubs, and camos greater value than i put in.  Anyone buying these expecting to receive any ship let alone the ship they want is setting themselves up for disappointment.  I look at it like buying packs of baseball cards when i was a kid.  Bought packs hoping to get some Red Sox cards, but with 600 or so cards in a set, and maybe 18 Red Sox cards that is about a 3% chance per pack.  Still got value from cards i received and a stale piece of gum. Was i bummed if didnt get any Sox cards? Sure, but i didnt accuse Topps of running a scam or encouraging kids to gamble. Bottom line If u dont need flags, camo or dubs dont buy santa crates unless u have disposable income.

Sign in to follow this