Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pastore123

My impressions of Tier 6 Italian DD Leone

21 comments in this topic

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles

Recently I watched Flamu’s and sea raptor’s quick review of Leone. After seeing the concealment, reload of guns, the double torp mounts with only 4 torps, and the low speed, I’m thinking that some of the stats will change once this ship goes into testing. 

May tier 6 better it seems like it cannot compete. Not to mention that if one decides to treat this ship as a gun boat, they will only be able to use HE as an option because the AP appears to be horrid. Plus the low speed and short smoke duratiOn, I’m thinking that I will be hard to put gun and evade other dd’s. Especially if up tiered. 

Even though there seem to be a lot of bad areas, I’m hoping that once it undergoes testing it will receive some buffs in some of the areas. 

What are your thoughts at first glance?

, flamu’s review starts at 10:26)

[SIM]
Members
3,768 posts
6,254 battles

I wouldn't bank on the stats changing, WG seems to love putting the boots to the Regia Marina.

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles

That’s a good point. They did try to put a band aid on the Abruzzi though with the heal. The problem that everyone has been pointing out is that the ships are placed in the wrong tier. This ship as is would work out in tier 4 perfectly. 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles

Were she introduced tomorrow, Leone would have a very niche following, especially if you take into account her tier VI premium competition. 

While the number of guns is interesting, the layout is less so. Most likely you will be struggling to bring all your guns to bear. 

The torpedoes have a 2x2 layout with a 60s reload. By comparison a Kamikaze class has 47-48 secs for 3x2. 

I could see her as a party boat at Tier V, similar to Okhotnik. You can play her for the memes, deliver some absurd alpha strikes and laugh when your sea mines connect with someone.

As a tier VI however I feel she needs a bit of love, either on the main battery or torpedoes.

Edited by warheart1992

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles

I agree. I would like to see a combination between a buff on the guns and the speed. I can live with the long range slow torps if this trade off existed.

[SYN]
Members
3,473 posts
17,188 battles

It will struggle, just looking at its stats it will not be very effective contesting caps (Poor concealment & Slow speed count heavily) and it lacks alpha damage with only 2x2 slow torps which will stop it from being any real threat to BBs.

Playing it like a very light cruiser will work better with it's strengths, Camp and Pew Pew Pew.

First impression:    I think one for the Regia Marina fans only.

Edited by Camo68

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles

In its current state, it would be a bad cap dd for sure. With the torps, it is literally a spray and pray times 10. 

If you can’t tell though, I’m going to buy it regardless. But I hope to not be as disappointed as I would be if I were to buy it like it is now. Hoping for some buffs.

[UFFA]
Members
1,608 posts
68 battles
  • As Phoenix pointed out the batteries are not on raised pedestals. So the firing angles are limited. Low RoF/traverse. 
  • Only 2 x 2torpedo tubes with slow speed, low alpha and low detectability. 60 second reload. 
  • Low smoke duration so you can’t just camp in a smoke bank and try poor man’s dakka dakka. 
  • Nominal speed. 

Unless the ship gets an insane rudder shift, which doesn’t make sense, with RN frictionless turn technology it will be a problematic ship. The rifles are going to have some insane rainbow arcs. Sadly the best attack profile is to entice someone to chase you while you drop fish and try to keep three batteries unmasked. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,504 posts
12,810 battles

my first impression is that WG is on drugs again.  That ship looks terrible.  Lots of guns, with horrid firing arcs, and lower velocity than the USN 5"/38.

Members
1,194 posts
2,399 battles

Its like WG are so afraid of making another Caesar that they are going too far in the other direction with all other RM ships. Or alternatively its greed after all a t6 sells for more than a t4.

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles
3 hours ago, Sparviero said:
  • As Phoenix pointed out the batteries are not on raised pedestals. So the firing angles are limited. Low RoF/traverse. 
  • Only 2 x 2torpedo tubes with slow speed, low alpha and low detectability. 60 second reload. 
  • Low smoke duration so you can’t just camp in a smoke bank and try poor man’s dakka dakka. 
  • Nominal speed. 

Unless the ship gets an insane rudder shift, which doesn’t make sense, with RN frictionless turn technology it will be a problematic ship. The rifles are going to have some insane rainbow arcs. Sadly the best attack profile is to entice someone to chase you while you drop fish and try to keep three batteries unmasked. 

Yeah, it’s not looking good. But I’m not surprised that wg uptiered this boat. It’s literally d’aosta And Abruzzi all over again. 

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles
2 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

my first impression is that WG is on drugs again.  That ship looks terrible.  Lots of guns, with horrid firing arcs, and lower velocity than the USN 5"/38.

Unfortunately they chose either the wrong tier, or the wrong ship for the placement at tier 6. I think they think that all of those Italian ship fans are going to buy this ship regardless.

2 hours ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Its like WG are so afraid of making another Caesar that they are going too far in the other direction with all other RM ships. Or alternatively its greed after all a t6 sells for more than a t4.

That’s how I feel. They didn’t do Roma any favors by making it so that it had a hard time landing shots and over penning a lot of the time. Cesare is definitely the only solid RM ship at the moment.

1 hour ago, Junostorm said:

Her current state leaves much to be desired, however she is WiP ship atm.

I hope to see either buffs, or a tier reduction. I believe they dropped the tier on one of the KM premium dd’s. Hopefully WG does the same in this scenario.

[UFFA]
Members
1,608 posts
68 battles
2 hours ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

WG could fix half the issues with Cesare simply by admitting the HE shell stats are, if not from Dunkerque, just a bit generous. :cap_wander:

2 minutes ago, pastore123 said:

Yeah, it’s not looking good. But I’m not surprised that wg uptiered this boat. It’s literally d’aosta And Abruzzi all over again. 

I'm half expecting part of the balancing to be the higher velocity 850mps of later mounts and some wierd TRB gimmick. Or maybe return the triple 450mm torpedoes with a 0.2km visibility. :cap_book:

[UFFA]
Members
1,608 posts
68 battles
9 minutes ago, pastore123 said:

Unfortunately they chose either the wrong tier, or the wrong ship for the placement at tier 6. I think they think that all of those Italian ship fans are going to buy this ship regardless.

That’s how I feel. They didn’t do Roma any favors by making it so that it had a hard time landing shots and over penning a lot of the time. Cesare is definitely the only solid RM ship at the moment.

I hope to see either buffs, or a tier reduction. I believe they dropped the tier on one of the KM premium dd’s. Hopefully WG does the same in this scenario.

Yes one of the KM ships was dropped so there is hope. We will have to wait and see how the CC videos create drama. WG is probably banking on all the RM fans doing their obligation? :cap_haloween:

Roma has two big issues.

1. Engagement range really needs to be 10-14km to get the shells to detonate properly. 
  2. The stealth build encourages getting up close where the vertical dispersion becomes extremely exaggerated. I believe everyone has the 5km broadside battleship that is completely missed story?

Edited by Sparviero

[KP]
Members
408 posts
202 battles
9 hours ago, pastore123 said:

Recently I watched Flamu’s and sea raptor’s quick review of Leone. After seeing the concealment, reload of guns, the double torp mounts with only 4 torps, and the low speed, I’m thinking that some of the stats will change once this ship goes into testing. 

May tier 6 better it seems like it cannot compete. Not to mention that if one decides to treat this ship as a gun boat, they will only be able to use HE as an option because the AP appears to be horrid. Plus the low speed and short smoke duratiOn, I’m thinking that I will be hard to put gun and evade other dd’s. Especially if up tiered. 

Even though there seem to be a lot of bad areas, I’m hoping that once it undergoes testing it will receive some buffs in some of the areas. 

What are your thoughts at first glance?

, flamu’s review starts at 10:26)

It's a tier 4 being forced into tier 6 typical WGing. Nothing to see here.

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles
2 hours ago, Sparviero said:

Yes one of the KM ships was dropped so there is hope. We will have to wait and see how the CC videos create drama. WG is probably banking on all the RM fans doing their obligation? :cap_haloween:

Roma has two big issues.

1. Engagement range really needs to be 10-14km to get the shells to detonate properly. 
  2. The stealth build encourages getting up close where the vertical dispersion becomes extremely exaggerated. I believe everyone has the 5km broadside battleship that is completely missed story?

I dropped a ticket to change out the HE for SAP.. but I’m not hopeful that they will ever change it. What I find funny is that the British cruisers have their own ammo, but they won’t do the same for RM. 

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles
2 hours ago, IronMike11C4O said:

It's a tier 4 being forced into tier 6 typical WGing. Nothing to see here.

Definitely a tier 4

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,446 posts
18,810 battles

I can see this DD going Live "as is."  Gunboat DD with torps to throw out for harassment.  Sims in Tier VII has even worse torpedoes and significantly worse concealment.  At least Leone has smoke for the Gunboat DD role, whereas Le Terrible doesn't.  Flamu said it best in his quick take on this ship.  It's going to have problems when uptiered, but all Tier VI DDs have this problem.  Tier VI isn't quite a comfortable DD spot to begin with.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Leone seems a meh ship, but far from being a garbage as some say. This ship could be OP at t5. This gun broadside seems pretty heavy. 

With some small tweaks this might be a decent ship.

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
841 posts
7,199 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I can see this DD going Live "as is."  Gunboat DD with torps to throw out for harassment.  Sims in Tier VII has even worse torpedoes and significantly worse concealment.  At least Leone has smoke for the Gunboat DD role, whereas Le Terrible doesn't.  Flamu said it best in his quick take on this ship.  It's going to have problems when uptiered, but all Tier VI DDs have this problem.  Tier VI isn't quite a comfortable DD spot to begin with.

I believe the sims has better dpm and def aa consumable as well. (I'm not sure about the consumable though). I agree that it will have problems when up tiered, and seeing as it is a slower boat, I can't see how it is going to do with tier 8 radar. 

5 hours ago, Xlap said:

Leone seems a meh ship, but far from being a garbage as some say. This ship could be OP at t5. This gun broadside seems pretty heavy. 

With some small tweaks this might be a decent ship.

I'm hoping that there will be something to change after testing. 

Sign in to follow this