You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cpt_Cupcake

WoT, cautionary tale for WoWS?

42 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles

People have been saying that game would be dead soon for over half its life and people have been saying it about this one for a while. Full disclosure I haven't seen the linked video but while I personally left WoT for numerous good reasons it has a stronger playerbase than this game. It's not going anywhere soon.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
4,165 posts
15,256 battles

WOT is not WOWS is not WOWP, each WG title has their issues. I dont play WOT simply because some tanks have immunity to threats, some ammo have more penetration if you buy it (gold Ammo).

WOWS just has a problem of "balance".

WOWS has a dependent problem (or lack there of) in where ships (premium) Have to much capabilities and not enough threats. Which leads to ships having less dependent on others.

WOWS has an issue with having/no longer supporting certain play styles in high tier game play. This creates stale matches.

WOWS is running out of ship content.

WOWS has not focused on the lower tiered compare to trying to push tier X hard. This is bad for the long run IMO.

WOWS is not NOOB friendly. Its the hardest game to play by far.

I hope, these issues are being addressed. I really like WOWS.

• Cool 1

Members
720 posts
3,906 battles
11 minutes ago, FirestormMk3 said:

People have been saying that game would be dead soon for over half its life and people have been saying it about this one for a while. Full disclosure I haven't seen the linked video but while I personally left WoT for numerous good reasons it has a stronger playerbase than this game. It's not going anywhere soon.

I think a lot of people left due to imbalance, power creep, pay 2 win ammo, arty etc... Im one of them. Wont be going back. 

Edited by ksix

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles

Power creep and especially gold ammo bothered me, but nothing bothered me more than the community. Battle chat there had to have enemy chat disabled because every battle is the worst toxicity you see once in a while here and all to often you get literal Nazis spewing their crap in game. Before I quit I'd gotten to the point that I disabled chat. The game has a thriving anti-toxicity chat mod.

• Cool 2

[THICC]
[THICC]
Beta Testers
906 posts
5,135 battles

Tried WoT again when 1.0 came out, left shortly after frontlines ended.  That game is still plagued by artillery which is worse now than it was before the rework.

[_-_]
Members
2,090 posts
1 hour ago, LuckyStarFan said:

Tried WoT again when 1.0 came out, left shortly after frontlines ended.  That game is still plagued by artillery which is worse now than it was before the rework. 

Try WoWS again when 8.0 comes out, leave shortly after CV Rework ends.  This game will still be plagued by sky cancer which will be worse than it was before the rework.

The future is coming! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[HYDRO]
Members
3,165 posts
4,785 battles

Quickybaby makes some valid points. But it's an 8 year old game with constant competition and an often toxic playerbase. It just can't retain people that easy anymore. On the other hand, WG at the moment has WoT working on both consoles with good results (I think they got 17mil players a few months back, no idea how many concurrent ones or comparison between other f2p titles), has Blitz as well going strong and these are just the tank titles. 

While the graphs of popularity look legit as far as non WG internal files are concerned, they don't paint the whole picture of the WoT family of games.

Edited by warheart1992

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,105 posts
5,904 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Cirno said:

You have a point about the toxic chat in WoT.  I always wondered why WoWs seemed so much friendlier.  I'm glad it is though,.

the common wows player age is 30-40 years old,a lot reaching 50 or 60 years old.

we had a thread about that.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
682 posts
5,206 battles

The video has some good points, and I think the OP's title says what is important.  The goings on in WOT should be carefully looked at by WG and not repeated in WOWS.  Yes they are different games, but if  WG starts to repeat the same mistakes, the player base will react the same way; people are people after all. 

You screw with the low tier game and you fail to keep new players

You make premium ships OP and premium content becomes necessary to win, the game is essentially no longer F2P, if you want to do well that is.

Imbalance in MM, perceived or real, is what drove the 3/5/7 MM changes in WOT.  WOWS has it's own imbalance in MM, how long did it take WG to respond to the T8 complaints about MM? Why did the segregation for low tiers happen and screw up MM for T5?  WG could seriously focus on fixing these issues, but they wait to long to respond and lose players over it. 

There are a lot of lessons WOWS could learn form WOT. 

I for one am about done.  I am tired of chasing containers that have nothing in them, just because WG gives it away, does not make it useful or valuable.  Missions that force high tier game play, let us play the ships we enjoy while working to complete missions. What does it really mater if I want to run a Tier 3, 4, 5, 6 ship?  I should be able to work toward mission completion no mater what ship I run. 

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
799 posts
6,967 battles
2 minutes ago, AXELGREASE said:

I for one am about done.  I am tired of chasing containers that have nothing in them, just because WG gives it away, does not make it useful or valuable.  Missions that force high tier game play, let us play the ships we enjoy while working to complete missions. What does it really mater if I want to run a Tier 3, 4, 5, 6 ship?  I should be able to work toward mission completion no mater what ship I run. 

On this front I think the missions are restricted to T5 and up so that new players aren't dominated by players with thousands of battles, and 19pt skippers looking for easy kills and citadels. It gives a new player a chance to get better and learn mechanics before seening as many skilled players. In WoWp there are tiered missions for for aircraft from I believe T3 and up, so once you hit T3 there are people down there seal clubbing to grind out missions. It's not fun when you are new to get completely destroyed by people that know more about the game, and have actual in game advantages through pilot skills and consumables you lack or can't afford.

• Cool 3

[TF231]
[TF231]
Beta Testers
5 posts

I wish they would take a page out of WT book and let you move your captain to any ship that they are trained in. It would promote lower tier game play.

[ARGSY]
Members
143 posts
5,325 battles

All video games eventually wear out. In the world of electronotica, better products are inevitable. I feel sorry for the wankers who invest thousands of dollars into any of them (enter any pay to play game here_______________). WoW is a great concept and a lot of fun to play. But ten years from now nobody is going to give a rat's [edited]about your marvelous collection...Think about it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,670 posts
20,668 battles

One reason I stopped playing WoT after tier 1 was there is no co-op mode. 

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
521 posts
362 battles
4 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Quickybaby makes some valid points. But it's an 8 year old game with constant competition and an often toxic playerbase. It just can't retain people that easy anymore. On the other hand, WG at the moment has WoT working on both consoles with good results (I think they got 17mil players a few months back, no idea how many concurrent ones or comparison between other f2p titles), has Blitz as well going strong and these are just the tank titles. 

While the graphs of popularity look legit as far as non WG internal files are concerned, they don't paint the whole picture of the WoT family of games.

WOTC is lucky to get 100k on in a day, I think most days is around 80k iirc.

Console version has been on a slow but steady decline for about a year now.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,930 posts
4,565 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

the common wows player age is 30-40 years old,a lot reaching 50 or 60 years old.

we had a thread about that.

I also think World of Warships is less casual than World of Tanks in terms of play-style.  There is definitely a learning curve for the former that is harder to get over without some tinkering and practice.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,930 posts
4,565 battles
44 minutes ago, handybilly said:

All video games eventually wear out. In the world of electronotica, better products are inevitable. I feel sorry for the wankers who invest thousands of dollars into any of them (enter any pay to play game here_______________). WoW is a great concept and a lot of fun to play. But ten years from now nobody is going to give a rat's [edited]about your marvelous collection...Think about it. 

To be fair, there are also "ancient" games like World of Warcraft that are still getting massive traffic.  Older doesn't necessarily mean it has to die in a hole.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,105 posts
5,904 battles
1 minute ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I also think World of Warships is less casual than World of Tanks in terms of play-style.  There is definitely a learning curve for the former that is harder to get over without some tinkering and practice.

on theory world of tanks is similar but the gold ammo and disparity between tiers make lots of mechanic useless,there is a reason of why Light tanks are the hardest class,wot didn't create a hard counter to a player with deep knowledge of spotting mechanics. a well played LT spotting the enemy team can change the fight,all he have to do is spot,while his less "smart" teammates kill the enemy with money ammo.

[SIMP]
Members
1,243 posts
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

One reason I stopped playing WoT after tier 1 was there is no co-op mode. 

This ^.

I have tried twice to get into WoT. And both times been met with frustration just trying to learn the game by career seal clubbers at Tier 1. Hey WG, you want to get new players into the game? THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT. You need a co-op mode in WoT badly.

[THICC]
[THICC]
Beta Testers
906 posts
5,135 battles
7 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Try WoWS again when 8.0 comes out, leave shortly after CV Rework ends.  This game will still be plagued by sky cancer which will be worse than it was before the rework.

The future is coming! :Smile_teethhappy:

The difference is in WoWs you only get a carrier in your game maybe 1/5 at high tier.  Artillery is in 4/5 games if not more in WoT and usually multiples to boot.  Not to mention it takes time for planes to fly across the map, artillery has no such limitations.