You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

Will this be the future of world of warships as well?

What are your thoughts  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Are pay 2 win elements balanced in World of Warships

• yes
    • no
    • other
  2. 2. What aspects of the game are out of balance?

• Steel/Coal
    • Premium Ships
    • Matchmaker
    • other element

147 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,741 posts
3,864 battles

I have recently watched this video by Quickybaby a popular World of Tanks youtuber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veYZ1iiqOng and it makes me wonder whether or not pay 2 win elements have grown too strong in wargaming titles as of late. He admits that World of Tanks is in decline due to Pay 2 Win elements.

Now in World of Warships to me, that means having high economic signals available all the time for purchase and premium ships that are just plain better than their standard tier counterpart.  Recently I saw 5x Mosiac camo, 5x Asian Lantern camo, 5x Spring Sky camo, available in the Santa Mega  Gift which is a concern and I think this is the first time that Wargaming is doing this. These camos traditionally were available only in mission chains and not for purchase. This is no doubt a ploy to get you to spend more and progress faster up in the tech tree. I am also noticing a large number of ships being produced than at any time of World of Warships development history.

It seems to me that World of Tanks is no longer the favorite and World of Warships is the new favorite when it comes to money. It is sad to see this happening as it may mean more pay 2 win elements being introduced that will eventually cause a decline in World of Warships. No, the sky isn't falling, but the change of pace is very telling.

Let's say Europe passes a law banning loot boxes across all European states sometime in 2019 or 2020. It is without a doubt that the USA will follow suit. This would lead Wargaming to have to develop more ways to get money which would eventually lead to a "Defender scenario" or a "Chrysler Scenario" in World of Warships. This basically means a ship even more invulnerable than premium ships currently and no doubt having some special gimmick to help it in this.

Seeing the "experiment Jean Bart" go on without much resistance leads me to believe that Wargaming will no doubt do it again with another unnamed premium ship in development. The question becomes this, when will it be enough that the players will not want pay 2 win elements and go for other games?

Basically meaning, "At what point will it become unbearable to play the game to the point where it is boring instead of fun?" The game currently doing meh and has big plans for when it comes to the future no doubt. The CV rework will either cause populations to go up and will keep populations around the same.

The new ships at tier 10 will either make clan wars boring as regular tech tree tier 10's become more underpowered when compared to Stalingrad and the future Azuma.  Do we really want to play World of boring overpowered ships of do we want to play world of fun and engaging ships?

The game will last another 5 years if it plays it's cards right, but that is in the hands of players speaking out against pay 2 win elements that make the game boring and not fun. It's all up to you as I can see Notser or Ichasegaming or Littlewhitemouse or Nozoupforyou making the same video as Quickybaby if Wargaming doesn't balance out these pay 2 win elements in this game in 2 to 3 years time. 

The game is not dying but may start declining if we start seeing more "Defender type ships" in the game. Stalingrad is too early to tell if it really is a "Defender type ship", but in a few months, we may be able to make that determination. Steel and Coal being introduced is a mixed bag in itself as it gives one more opportunity to get ships, but addicts the player to play more. Bottom line it is up to you the player to open your eyes to what is going on in World of Tanks and see that it may happen here if pay 2 win elements are not balanced.

Yes, both World of Tanks and World of Warships are pay 2 win by their very nature, it's just becoming more and more apparent now. Check out the world of tanks na forum if you're in disbelief and read the threads think about the future that's all I am asking here.

I see that angry face maybe some common sense is working in you. Discuss added spaces your welcome.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 6
  • Angry 2

[LOU1]
Members
3,663 posts
9,881 battles

Please tell me what the pay 2 win elements are because i would like to try them.  I don't believe WOWS can be compared to WOT because any ship in WOWS can sink any other ship.  In WOT, it is easy to be helpless against tanks with better armor.  Even the only "pay 2 win" equalizer, gold ammo, doesn't help most of the time.

Personally, I am fine with WOWS and intend to follow its path as it progresses.

And, sorry, I was not able to read for very many lines.  So much speculation and so little punctuation.  There have been so many things that were supposed to break the game and didn't or ships that were supposed to be meh that aren't.  I just take whatever ship I am focused on at the time and make it work the best I can.

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 3

[GSG-0]
Members
21 posts
2,074 battles
1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

Please tell me what the pay 2 win elements are because i would like to try them.  I don't believe WOWS can be compared to WOT because any ship in WOWS can sink any other ship.  In WOT, it is easy to be helpless against tanks with better armor.  Even the only "pay 2 win" equalizer, gold ammo, doesn't help most of the time.

I quite agree the game is not pay 2 win at all. I mean sure you get more xp and credits with premium but really you can do still get all the same stuff without it and really Matchmaking is broken when you are being beaten by 2 tiers up.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
15,155 posts
9,935 battles
2 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

This.

Economic flags are not pay to win. Pay to advance faster, but economic flags in no way help you win a match.

• Cool 5

[LOU1]
Members
3,663 posts
9,881 battles

I have found I lose due to two reasons: I messed up and made some type of bad choices or, i was outplayed by an enemy player or team.

• Cool 2

[CRMSN]
Members
8,259 posts
8,702 battles

My dude, you're risking a ban with these continued unwarranted attacks on WG, specifically as it pertains to WoWs. This game is not P2W, it has never been P2W, and I've seen nothing after years of playing that would lead me to even remotely believe it will become P2W.

I'm of the mind, given the exact nature of your constant attacks, that you're simply a poor player, and a poor sport.

If this game is so bad for you, then would it not be prudent to just STOP, and find something better for you to spend your time on? Would it not make sense to just stop inflicting this pain and drama upon yourself?

• Cool 3

[CRMSN]
Members
8,259 posts
8,702 battles
3 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I have found I lose due to two reasons: I messed up and made some type of bad choices or, i was outplayed by an enemy player or team.

Sometimes RNG really just hates you, that in turn affects your mindset, which in turn affects how you play. Today has been horrid for me, and I still came out 8-6. So, yay, winning, but the performance, with the exception of 3 rounds, just wasn't there. I aint happy about it, but life, it goes on.

[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles

Pay to win, is where the purchase of an item, allows a new player, to become an unstoppable killing machine, against those who did not make the purchase, regardless of the skill level of those who did not make the purchase.

WoWS does not have anything that is P2W, and believing that it does, is a complete strawman.

NOW, OP Premium ships, YES, those exist. But buying a ship that is deemed OP, does not make one an unstoppable killing machine, and in fact, because it has been dubbed "OP" players who buy it, who has no business in buying it because they don't know the game, believes themselves to be unstoppable killing machines, and yolo charges and dies.

as for other elements: there is one that I do not wish to name, lest this topic gets shoved into a certain mega thread. It is the consumable-that-shall-not-be-named (CTSNBN)

1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The fact that we don't have Gold Ammo like WoT and WoWP speaks volumes whether this game is P2W or not.

A beautiful example of P2W model, right there.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
4,185 posts
15,297 battles

Comparing WOT to WOWS ? very unfair, all three WG products are different. Loot boxes or containers  you earn in the game is not pay to win. IMO the ships are only over powered when there is no threats to sink it.

Right now High tier BBs by far fall in that category. But then those ships are not even pay to win since they're regular ships you earn in the game.

Your argument is unfair. In the Balance dept. well that is a problem forever now.

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles

Yet another person that can't grasp that paying for faster advancement is not pay to win.  Every single FTP online game, and I mean all of them, have methods to pay to advance faster.  That's why you get to play for free because someone else that doesn't want to spend days upon days grinding the same ship pays for that perk.  

Now pay to win would be if there was a ship that was head and shoulders above all other ships in its tier that could only be obtained with real money.  That's pay to win.  Learn the difference or don't make posts about it.

edit:  And one more thing, I have no idea what makes you think that if Europe banned loot boxes that the US would follow suit.  We tend to march to a very different drummer than they do.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,379 posts
6,270 battles
37 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

My dude, you're risking a ban with these continued unwarranted attacks on WG, specifically as it pertains to WoWs. This game is not P2W, it has never been P2W, and I've seen nothing after years of playing that would lead me to even remotely believe it will become P2W.

I'm of the mind, given the exact nature of your constant attacks, that you're simply a poor player, and a poor sport.

If this game is so bad for you, then would it not be prudent to just STOP, and find something better for you to spend your time on? Would it not make sense to just stop inflicting this pain and drama upon yourself?

The moment he edited a wikipedia article to promote his distaste to the game, it's too late for him to stop, he's far too gone from reality.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[WOLF3]
Members
20,342 posts
18,644 battles
Just now, Vader_Sama said:

The moment he edited a wikipedia article to promote his distaste to the game, it's too late for him to stop, he's far too gone from reality.

It's the picture perfect example why you can't use Wikipedia as a source for school.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,381 posts
14,860 battles

ANY OP, PAY TO WIN ship can be sunk by a free Tech Tree ship.

So does that still make them pay to win?

Cammos have 2 basic elements that affect play.

Reduced detection and increased dispersion. 

You can get those in free containers. 

Everything else is cosmetic or player only bonuses... not pay to win.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,727 posts
11,061 battles

WOWs would have been pay 2 win if:

-HE was a premium ammunition only available buy purchasing gold

-Premium consummable were only available buy purchasing gold

-RN ships lose their improve AP pen  

In WOWs the economy is thousand time better than in WOT and ship are mostly balanced. I never felt like a ship couldn't do any damage against another one (WOWs has some broken ship but these very broken ship can still receive damage and eventually sink) unlike WOT where sometime I knew I already lost the game because the ennemi team has a tank my gun can't pen. We have premium time to boost credit+XP income, special currency and premium ship but pretty much 99.8% is available for someone who wants to spend money on. The 0.2% remaining are just ship you can only obtain throught Steel but they are not broken enough to turn the game into a P2W.  

Actually what is the P2W people often mention in WOWs ? Because broken ship like Belfast, Saipan or Nikolai represent a really small part of the game. Outside of those exception, nothing is really P2W but grindy.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,727 posts
11,061 battles
13 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Wait really ? omegalul

[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
4 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Wait really ? omegalul

yeah, and he started a thread on this forum, trying to act as if he "just noticed" despite bragging about doing it on the WoT forum.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,259 posts
8,702 battles
21 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Sad, but true. *Cue Metallica*

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

There is no "pay to win" in this game. If you're referring to Premium ships, that's not pay to win because many Premiums aint any better than tech tree botes and some are worse.

Members
1,024 posts
4,172 battles

I never got how players think the matchmaker is any problem. Ive never once felt unable to contribute in a tier 8 in a tier 10 match. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,127 posts
9,699 battles

Camo's apply exactly 2 combat bonuses, that ALL camo's give, are handed out like candy at Halloween in candyland, and are so cheap in credits that if you don't use them, that is your choice - they are free.

Much as I take issues with some things this lot have done (CV rework, certain ships tier placement, staggered releases) something they got right is consumables - there is a credit option unlike planes now, which I avail myself of when I don't have 100 free ones. Do I think the gap should be closed (buff the base "free" reload ones) - yes, but is it pay to win - no. 

Gold Ammo is non existent here... unless you count IFHE but they are finally looking to maybe solve that.

Ad for all the crying of Belfast, Kami clones, Mikhail, Nikolai, and others being "OP P2W" of those 4 named ships I have 2, and have no issues beating them, nor any issue beating the others unless straight outplayed. Belfast? I nuked one in smoke yesterday as he radared me in my BB - because I traced the fire back and RNG said he ate citadel hits. Kami  clones are like any other DD at the tier - seriously Mine has a faster reload on torps, slightly worse guns and is otherwise the same while some DD's in that realm of other nations have just as good torps for scoring hits with better guns and decent stealth. Mikhail is just another cruiser, same as Belfast, and Nikolai, even forgoing the unspeakable things my Kami R/Fujin and Ark Beta do to them, when I play that tier - it's just another BB. There are exactly 2 ships that are currently OP and beyond fixing, and that's Saipan and GZ, and that's only because Wargaming won't listen and fix CV's right any time the player base has actually told them. Sell Nikolai, Kami, etc tomorrow I won't bat an eye.

Face something enough, you'll learn to beat it. But play it and you'll learn to beat it faster. Much as I list it I own Saipan, and there are [edited] in the armour, just not nearly good enough ones to warrant how long they sold it let alone to have released it. 

[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
2 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

I never got how players think the matchmaker is any problem. Ive never once felt unable to contribute in a tier 8 in a tier 10 match. 

I take huge issue with MM. All I seem to get are tier 10 battles, when I play my tier 10 ships. What's up with that?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

Members
1,024 posts
4,172 battles
Just now, Counter_Gambit said:

I take huge issue with MM. All I seem to get are tier 10 battles, when I play my tier 10 ships. What's up with that?

I dont like your jebaiting

[CRMSN]
Members
8,259 posts
8,702 battles

To add to my earlier thoughts, you clearly spend absurd amounts of time thinking about "P2W", and yet, just as clearly, you have no actual idea what it really is.

Considering the lengths you've gone to to disparage and discredit WG, in particular WoWs, i shouldn't be surprised. Also, the USA rarely does what any other country does, I've no idea where that bit of...whatever you wish to call it, came from.