You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shokNgnaw

What is your lowest-point T10 captain ?

36 comments in this topic

[WJDC]
Members
66 posts
1,843 battles

My highest ships are T8 which are constantly (frustratingly) uptiered to T10 battles. My highest captain is 11 or 12pts. I assume almost all T10 captains are 15 to 19 points and I'm wondering if that's a correct assumption?

I'm also wondering if it would be smarter to move my highest point captains to T5 ships (lowest daily mission tier) and build points from there? 

[SYN]
Members
3,473 posts
17,197 battles

With captains you ideally want to focus getting get one to 19 points asap.  Then you can farm elite captain xp and use it on other captains.  The basis for all mine were built from using an IJN Captain in it's normal DD and then using them in the Kamikaze.  That one I transferred up the line with the current grind.  All others were pretty much done using elite xp.   Maximise XP by using flags & Camo and any ship bonuses, especially at higher tiers where xp is higher.

Having a decent premium ship for captain training comes into it's own.

Edited by Camo68

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles

The more points your captain has, the longer/harder it is to retrain him,  even in lower tier ships. If you have a premium ship, move him and grind him.

Otherwise leep him in the same ship and grind him with that ship because your captain does not accumulate skill points while retraining.

As for my captains at t10? The lowest i have is 17pts on Khabarovsk. Khaba captain is the exact same captain i had for each and every ship goomg up that line. I strongly suggest yiu do the same.

[WJDC]
Members
66 posts
1,843 battles
17 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

With captains you ideally want to focus getting get one to 19 points asap.  Then you can farm elite captain xp and use it on other captains.  The basis for all mine were built from using an IJN Captain in it's normal DD and then using them in the Kamikaze.  That one I transferred up the line with the current grind.  All others were pretty much done using elite xp.   Maximise XP by using flags & Camo and any ship bonuses, especially at higher tiers where xp is higher.

Having a decent premium ship for captain training comes into it's own.

15 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

The more points your captain has, the longer/harder it is to retrain him,  even in lower tier ships. If you have a premium ship, move him and grind him.

Otherwise leep him in the same ship and grind him with that ship because your captain does not accumulate skill points while retraining.

As for my captains at t10? The lowest i have is 17pts on Khabarovsk. Khaba captain is the exact same captain i had for each and every ship goomg up that line. I strongly suggest yiu do the same.

The cost of retraining captains is what has discouraged me from moving captains to other ships so I've got a lot of ships with anywhere from 4-pt to 10-pt captains. But, if I understand this right, a captain can be moved from a premium ship to another ship (same nation) and not have to be retrained?

Is this recommended?  I have 155k elite capt xp from Halloween and Twilight battles. I have a 12 pt captain on the Tirpitz and I have 291k free xp. For all my elite capt xp and 192k free xp, I can get him to 15 pts (leaving me with 98k free xp only). Then I can move him to my T22 or Konig and not have to retrain him? Should I then keep him there until he reaches 19-pts? If he's moved to another ship, does he then have to be retrained?

Sorry if they're dumb questions but I've read the wiki on game economy and captain points but somehow it's not coming clear to me.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,803 posts
8,884 battles

My lowest is 15 on Republique, because (a) I started with Richelieu (thanks, French containers a few months ago) and (b) I don't play battleships very often. All the rest 19.

No, actually, I take that back. I just stole the 19 point Yamamoto from Yamato (again, I don't play battleships that often) and the Japanese Dasha is now in there, and I think she's only got 12 points. Maybe 14.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
14,922 battles

10 points on my Khabba. I moved the 18 pointer to Grozovoi. 

5 19 point captains.

Rest are 17 to 18.

Note I have all 10's except Henri, Conquer & Daring. 

Those captains are 17 pointers. 

Once you get a 19 point captain, you can use him to build up captain exp for other captains.

For events, like Halloween, where you get z free 19 point captain. Use those with flags you build up elite captain exp.

[WJDC]
Members
66 posts
1,843 battles

Thanks to all for the replies. It looks like my original assumption was correct. Sux to (almost) always be out gunned and out captained in a T8 boat. I know that "a poor craftsman always blames his tools" but a level playing field might help. Are you listening WG? I have to admit that I do occasionally get high tier in a T8 boat, but they seem few and far between.

[WOLF5]
Members
735 posts
25,355 battles
13 minutes ago, shokNgnaw said:

The cost of retraining captains is what has discouraged me from moving captains to other ships so I've got a lot of ships with anywhere from 4-pt to 10-pt captains. But, if I understand this right, a captain can be moved from a premium ship to another ship (same nation) and not have to be retrained?

Is this recommended?  I have 155k elite capt xp from Halloween and Twilight battles. I have a 12 pt captain on the Tirpitz and I have 291k free xp. For all my elite capt xp and 192k free xp, I can get him to 15 pts (leaving me with 98k free xp only). Then I can move him to my T22 or Konig and not have to retrain him? Should I then keep him there until he reaches 19-pts? If he's moved to another ship, does he then have to be retrained?

Sorry if they're dumb questions but I've read the wiki on game economy and captain points but somehow it's not coming clear to me.

Ok, I'm shokNgnawed that you've gotten to T-VI on a line and haven't figured out how to move/retrain captains but ok.

NO, you cannot move an assigned premium ship captain to another ship without retraining him. You can however temporarily move an assigned tech tree captain to a national premium ship and then back to his original tech tree ship without retraining.

Any captain that you buy/earn in game (for example Halsey or the 10-point captains that come with the Santa Box Premium ships) should be immediately assigned to a tech tree ship if you plan on using them. The more commander XP you earn and more points they have, the more training XP is required to train them unless you plan on spending 500 doubloons to retrain them since that's a flat fee regardless of the level of the captain. 

When you purchase a new tech tree ship, there is not a Captain that is trained for that ship. Therefore you can: 

1. Recruit a new 0 point commander for free
  2. Recruit a new 1 point commander for 10,000 credits
  3. Recruit a new 3 point commander for 25 doubloons
  4. Transfer a commander from another ship and train him for the new ship. Keep in mind Captains are only able to be trained for one ship, so once you transfer them they are now locked to the new ship. They will not remember their old ships. If you transfer a commander from another ship you can:
    1. Spend nothing but you will have to earn the XP detailed in the Commander Skill Retraining table on the Wiki (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander) before his skills are unlocked and able to fully used. Some skills will be reduced to 50% while other skills will not work while you are earning this commander retraining XP. Keep in mind while you are earning the commander retraining XP, the captain will not be earning "commander XP" towards his next point.
    2. Spend 200,000 credits and you will only have to earn 50% of the retraining XP required for the above but all other conditions apply.
    3. Do either of the above 2 and use/trade elite commander xp or free XP for the retraining xp to accelerate and finish training the commander
    4. Spend 500 doubloons to fully train the transferred commander for the new ship. 

If you have a captain that comes with a purchased premium ship then you should immediately assign him to the tech tree ship that he will ultimately end up on or that is most similar to the premium ship to get the most benefit from the captain skills. Then start the retraining process as described in #4 above. Then assign him back to the premium ship. You'll notice you will not need to retrain him to use him on the premium ship since premium ships can use any captain in their respective nations. Once the captain has amassed enough commander training xp to finish training him on the tech tree ship. He will start earning commander XP, however unlike on a tech tree ship, the captain's skills will not be disabled/decreased while he is retraining. 

Since premium ships do not require having an "assigned trained" captain for their skills to be fully unlocked, you can temporarily assign any tech tree captain to any premium ship of the same nation as the captain and not have to train the captain for the premium ship. You can then move the captain back to the original tech tree ship that the captain is assigned to without having to retrain him. This will allow players to earn more commander XP on a captain by playing him on multiple ships per day without needing to spend credits/doubs/eliteXP/freeXP on retraining. 

Now if you plan on transferring a captain and using elite/free XP to increase his points, you should do this in the following order to minimize the retraining XP since the amount increases dramatically with each point. If you are paying doubloons to retrain then this doesn't matter

1. assign the captain to his new ship
  2. train the captain on his new ship
  3. use elite/free xp to increase his level 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,147 posts
9,733 battles

Currently - 14 points

Historically - 10. Other than Salem it was Minotaur and maybe Hak. Basically ships where there was only 1 must have 4 point skill that I had and could make work. Honestly as much as the other 9 points can prove useful I really only need about 10. And through mistakes in premiums (usually forgetting to change a captain) have played higher tiers with less than that and still done well. 10 point Dasha in Kron broke my long kraken-less streak just the other day. One of my better Salem matches was with the 3 point captain with no skills because I didn't click things to change and forgot to double check. 

Commander skills help and offer an edge, but are irrelevant really if the player has enough actual skill. 

[WOLF5]
Members
735 posts
25,355 battles
1 hour ago, shokNgnaw said:

My highest ships are T8 which are constantly (frustratingly) uptiered to T10 battles. My highest captain is 11 or 12pts. I assume almost all T10 captains are 15 to 19 points and I'm wondering if that's a correct assumption?

I'm also wondering if it would be smarter to move my highest point captains to T5 ships (lowest daily mission tier) and build points from there? 

Most of us transfer our highest level captains to the tiers we enjoy playing. It's very likely that those players that have 100's or 1000's of games in a particular ship has a 19 point captain on her. As an example, there were a few seal clubbers that bragged about having a 19-point captain on a Clemson. 

Keep in mind a survival build BB needs all 19 points but a non-IFHE DD can get away with as little as 10-points and not be at a significant disadvantage. 

[WOLFA]
Members
84 posts
2,969 battles

I'm just getting into Tier 8 Ships after 1700ish battles. I got my First 19 point captain on Gneisinau with Sharnhorst as a trainer as I moved the captain up the KM BB line. My IJN DD's are at T7 with a 17 Pt Captain using Atago & recently Asashio as trainers. Other lines are similar but the point is i'm using a premium trainer for each line and my goal is a 19 pt captain before I play my first T8 tech tree vessel. 

I'm a pretty average player but feel inclined to comment here. I see that you've been playing just over half of your games in Co-Op. It seem to me that can really work as a crutch. Takes those training wheels off and play randoms for skill building and watch the Community Contributor "how to play X" vids to learn how more about each ship you play. They're invaluable resources mate and will help you improve your skills and have more fun in the game. 

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
2,659 posts
14,746 battles
2 hours ago, shokNgnaw said:

You should be nonstop farming the halloween scenarios because they all have 19 pt ships and therefore generate elite captain xp. You should then use that xp to upgrade whichever nation’s captain for which you own the most premium ships. Then you need to do the same, playing those ships with the same captain and generate more elite captain xp to max the next captain, then repeat. It gets easier/faster the more max captains you have.

Edited by monpetitloup

[VW]
Members
2,659 posts
14,746 battles
9 minutes ago, Barazzuolio said:

I'm just getting into Tier 8 Ships after 1700ish battles. I got my First 19 point captain on Gneisinau with Sharnhorst as a trainer as I moved the captain up the KM BB line. My IJN DD's are at T7 with a 17 Pt Captain using Atago & recently Asashio as trainers. Other lines are similar but the point is i'm using a premium trainer for each line and my goal is a 19 pt captain before I play my first T8 tech tree vessel. 

I'm a pretty average player but feel inclined to comment here. I see that you've been playing just over half of your games in Co-Op. It seem to me that can really work as a crutch. Takes those training wheels off and play randoms for skill building and watch the Community Contributor "how to play X" vids to learn how more about each ship you play. They're invaluable resources mate and will help you improve your skills and have more fun in the game. 

Great point! +1

OP remember coop gives a pittance of xp. You will max your captains faster in randoms or if you like killing bots in scenarios.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Boring 1

Members
1,154 posts
14,807 battles

I have 8 T10 ships and 8 19pt commanders. Six of the T10s don't have 19pt commanders the lowest being the G.Kurfurst at 14pts, three are at 15pts, one at 16pts and one at 17pts.

My lowest tier 19pt commander belongs to the Isokaze at T4. The next lowest would be the Colorado and G-girl/Shiny Horse combo at T7.  When a player has favorite low tier ships that get played often the points add up over time so it's not always about taking one particular commander up the line.

[SYN]
Members
3,473 posts
17,197 battles
1 hour ago, shokNgnaw said:

Thanks to all for the replies. It looks like my original assumption was correct. Sux to (almost) always be out gunned and out captained in a T8 boat. I know that "a poor craftsman always blames his tools" but a level playing field might help. Are you listening WG? I have to admit that I do occasionally get high tier in a T8 boat, but they seem few and far between.

The Wows wiki goes into great detail about commanders:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

[WOLFB]
Members
2,734 posts
11,134 battles

15-17. I don't remember.

Recently WG offered a lot of way for new player to earn Elite XP through event with 19pt captain . IF you played Halloween event, you should have stocked a good amount of Elite XP. Anyway, you should focus on 1 commander that you will put on a ship you'll play to farm some Elite XP. It will be long if you don't have premium account and flags but once you reached your first 19 captain, just abuse and put whatever commander XP flags on him and play. This way you'll lvl a free captain on another ship without having to play that captain.

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles

@shokNgnaw

You have a 12 pt Cmdr on Tirpitz. Let's say that you also have Bismarck. Move your 12pt Cmdr to Bismarck and spend 200,000 credits on cutting the training by 50%, 40k to 20k. That would mean that you can earn another 20k XP and the Cmdr would be trained for Bismarck.

Instead of training the now Bismarck Cmdr for 20k XP that works at half his level, put the now Bismarck Cmdr back on to Tirpitz. Play the Bismarck Cmdr on Tirpitz until you have earned enough XP to complete the retraining, 20k XP. Now play the Bismarck Cmdr on Bismarck and then put him on Tirpitz each day to get both first win bonuses. Since Tirpitz is a premium ship, you can put any German Cmdr on Tirpitz and not have to pay for retraining that Cmdr on Tirpitz.

So if you don't want to spend any doubloons or use Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP) retraining a Cmdr for a new German ship, use Tirpitz to work off the retraining XP as you have no penalty to the Cmdr skills while he is retraining.

Say that you finish the grind to Friedrich Der Grosser and get your now Bismarck Cmdr to 13pts. Move the Bismarck Cmdr to FdG and spend 200k credits to make the retraining go from 50k XP to 25k XP. Once again use Tirpitz to work off that retraining XP and then move the Cmdr back to the FdG. Play the now FdG Cmdr on both FdG and Tirpitz each day to get both first win bonuses. Move the Cmdr up each time.

I would suggest against using your ECXP and FXP on boosting your Cmdr to 15pts. Instead, move the 12pt Tirpitz to your highest tech tree BB and spend the 200k credits on cutting the 40k retraining cost to 20k XP. Then use the ECXP on that 20k XP and now your Cmdr is trained on the tech tree BB. Move the Cmdr up the tree as you get more BBs and save your ECXP for paying off that 2nd half of the retraining cost. When you get the Cmdr to 19pts, spend some ECXP that you earn on retraining Cmdrs and getting another Cmdr to 19pts. Rinse and repeat.

I highly recommend using your current ECXP for fixing all of your top Cmdrs to the top tech tree ships. Save your FXP for FXP ships or for skipping a particular tough stock grind. Do try to grind the stock upgrades as much as you can as you will be earning CmdrXP to raise your Cmdr points while you are grinding stock upgrades.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles

All my 19pt captains are in my tier 4 - 7 ships that I play regularly which is about 8 - 10 ships of the 185 in my port.  Some of my T10 ships don't even have a captain.  The only reason I even have any T10 ships is because a year or so ago, WG said that you only got birthday gifts for owning T10 ships or something like that so with 3-4 billion or so of credits just lying around I just bought all the t10's.   I think I have played a couple of them a few times but theres some t10's I have that have never been played, even in Co-Op.  Not interested in the t10 playstyle or that period of warships.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

I have a 6pt on HIV

quite frankly, I don't think I would feel a noticeable improvement in QoL with a 19pt

Edited by MrDeaf

[WMD]
Members
825 posts
7,065 battles

I have a 14 pt skipper on my Groz, it seems to be a good enough ship that at 14 points I don't feel handicapped too much.

Use of premium ships to cut down on retraining pain is key, I had Tirptz and Sharn to make my german BB and DD skipper training easier.