You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DouglasMacAwful

My Zao build for clan battles. OK or crap?

12 comments in this topic

[N-W-T]
Members
1,544 posts
6,386 battles

5 one point skills.  I feel like this is a decent build for clan battle Zao, but as I look at it I hear Flamu's voice in my head saying "... Questionable".  I'm running Yamamoto on her which gives buffs to PM (45% instead of 30%) and EM (+1% traverse instead 0.7%).

CE is a must.  SI for extra heal, DE for extra burn, and AR for faster everything, seem optimal.  I always run PT on all of my cruisers.  That leaves 6 points. 

• 45% incapacitation protection seems a good choice. 
  • Expert Loader also seems a good choice if someone pops up broadside, given the Zao's long reload, and usually having HE loaded.  It actually won us a game the other night. 
  • With the 4 remaining points, I really was waffling, but decided double spotter plane is good if hunting a nearby DD, the buffed EM since Zao turrents are slow, and then the last point I'll put into Incoming Fire Alert.  The latter might not actually be terrible for a long-range flanking ship. 

Opinions from those who play Zao in clan battles?

Spoiler

shot-18_12.07_19_42.05-0634.thumb.jpg.88be04e88d14e866c84ba104d58a70d9.jpg

• Boring 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,823 posts
9,443 battles

That looks reasonably good.

HA is actually useful if you have the evasive tank role and if DDs are a pain, Vigilance helps. People also won't expect a Zao to be running TA on the 12km torps.

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
5,521 posts
5,743 battles

I'd switch out PM, EL, and Catapult for SE because more HP and India Delta now works with SE

After that, PM or EL on your preference since it looks like you only have 18 pts. You could drop PT for EL + PM if you want

Edited by Personator

[13TH]
Members
4,869 posts
8,270 battles
22 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

5 one point skills.  I feel like this is a decent build for clan battle Zao, but as I look at it I hear Flamu's voice in my head saying "... Questionable".  I'm running Yamamoto on her which gives buffs to PM (45% instead of 30%) and EM (+1% traverse instead 0.7%).

CE is a must.  SI for extra heal, DE for extra burn, and AR for faster everything, seem optimal.  I always run PT on all of my cruisers.  That leaves 6 points. 

• 45% incapacitation protection seems a good choice. 
  • Expert Loader also seems a good choice if someone pops up broadside, given the Zao's long reload, and usually having HE loaded.  It actually won us a game the other night. 
  • With the 4 remaining points, I really was waffling, but decided double spotter plane is good if hunting a nearby DD, the buffed EM since Zao turrents are slow, and then the last point I'll put into Incoming Fire Alert.  The latter might not actually be terrible for a long-range flanking ship. 

Opinions from those who play Zao in clan battles?

Reveal hidden contents

shot-18_12.07_19_42.05-0634.thumb.jpg.88be04e88d14e866c84ba104d58a70d9.jpg

The Zao suffers from being fradgile compared to other X Cruisers, so I do everything I can to protect that with the best rudder shift to avoid getting hit and run the speed flag

I also mount the spotter plane not so much for use against spotting DDs but there’s a lot of campers at times in Clan battles

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
465 posts
14,714 battles

Radio location is also good for blind torping approaching enemies. We had a few DDs killed by our Zao thanks to RL blind torps.

SE is also a good choice since you get an extra 6k health collectively if you use all 4 heals, raising your potential health from 68000 to 74000.

Personally, I use TAE for more preemptive torps and area denial. 

[SYN]
Members
7,417 posts
12,561 battles

My build, could drop PM and JoaT for another 3pt, BoS.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=3,12,13,17,18,23,28,34&ship=Cruiser

DE is trash IMO, but one of the most important Zao skills (in CBs) is RDF.

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
1 hour ago, Personator said:

I'd switch out PM, EL, and Catapult for SE because more HP and India Delta now works with SE

After that, PM or EL on your preference since it looks like you only have 18 pts. You could drop PT for EL + PM if you want

Most of the ZR guys are really good, id' go with this guys advice.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,544 posts
6,386 battles
59 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

Radio location is also good for blind torping approaching enemies. We had a few DDs killed by our Zao thanks to RL blind torps.

SE is also a good choice since you get an extra 6k health collectively if you use all 4 heals, raising your potential health from 68000 to 74000.

Personally, I use TAE for more preemptive torps and area denial. 

Yeah I wish the free respec was still going on.  I think RPF would be better, trading EM, double spotter, PM, and IFA for it.  I respec'd my DM, trading AFT for RPF and it's very useful in clan battles. 

• Boring 1

[NSC]
Members
72 posts
8,435 battles

Everything is according to your play style, I prefer long range heat. Zao has an excellent HE delivery system and with the right combination (according to how you play) zao delivers the mail on time. My build is: health, heat and distance which imo includes the following: PT, EM, AR, SE, TAE (NO ESCAPE), AFT, CE. I can hit targets and set them a flame long before they know what hit'em. zao is extremely versital, but if too close, half your HP is gone. SE can mitigate and help you escape an otherwise mistaken path, allowing you to heal for another run, without it (SE), your chances are slim to none, game over. Zao is excellent at supporting your team, but be conservative when and where you setup shop for a stance. Always ( with any ship) check your map, know where your team is, don't get too far ahead or away from supporting them. Light the way, as we say in Air Force para rescue, "That Other's May Live". Get-R-Done homie.

Edited by Sirzin_6
Clarification
  • Confused 2
  • Angry 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,544 posts
6,386 battles
27 minutes ago, Sirzin_6 said:

Everything is according to your play style, I prefer long range heat. Zao has an excellent HE delivery system and with the right combination (according to how you play) zao delivers the mail on time. My build is: health, heat and distance which imo includes the following: PT, EM, AR, SE, TAE (NO ESCAPE), AFT, CE. I can hit targets and set them a flame long before they know what hit'em. zao is extremely versital, but if too close, half your HP is gone. SE can mitigate and help you escape an otherwise mistaken path, allowing you to heal for another run, without it (SE), your chances are slim to none, game over. Zao is excellent at supporting your team, but be conservative when and where you setup shop for a stance. Always ( with any ship) check your map, know where your team is, don't get too far ahead or away from supporting them. Light the way, as we say in Air Force para rescue, "That Other's May Live". Get-R-Done homie.

Nice necro and pointless downvote. 

• Boring 1