You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Got the Des Moines Legendary Module

6 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,635 posts

I finally finished the Mission to get the Legendary Upgrade for the Des Moines. How do I like it? Well, call me impressed.

The ability to quickly accelerate from and then dart back under cover is great and the rudder shift does wonders for dodging torpedoes. I barely miss the gun range as I rarely fire at max-range targets anyway, and the decrease in radar time is negligible.

First trip out with it I came in third on the team with two kills. I think that this one is a winner and well worth the grind to get it.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,635 posts

This upgrade is simply amazing. It really turns the Des Moines into a force to be reckoned with. I kept wondering why I wasn't doing as well in it as I'd seen others do. Now, I might have found the answer (at least for me).

shot-18_12.07_20_40.42-0494.thumb.jpg.7fdfc0432de5ec496226f8ab616c86eb.jpg

[KRAK]
Members
2,670 posts
17,342 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I finally finished the Mission to get the Legendary Upgrade for the Des Moines. How do I like it? Well, call me impressed.

The ability to quickly accelerate from and then dart back under cover is great and the rudder shift does wonders for dodging torpedoes. I barely miss the gun range as I rarely fire at max-range targets anyway, and the decrease in radar time is negligible.

First trip out with it I came in third on the team with two kills. I think that this one is a winner and well worth the grind to get it.

Ehh. I sold that after a couple matches the way shorter gun range just was not worth it to me.  Glad it works for you though.

[NUWES]
Members
2,275 posts
7,241 battles

Just got the module yesterday. My god it's like a different ship. Feels like someone took Minotaur's speed, acceleration and agility and slapped it into DM. Notser's right.

Spoiler

It makes it much easier to push and take risks to support the DDs because you can extricate yourself if it goes bad. It lets DM fight like the CLs do. Amusingly my damage has gone up significantly in the last few games (even though the sample size is small) because I can get in closer and survive while doing it. My issue with DM was always that she was such a clumsy ship for an American cruiser. Last several games I could confidently duel Montanas and Yamatos at 15km and dodge their return fire and dodge in and out of their vision. I could always do that to BBs with some of the lower-tier cruisers but it never worked well with DM before. 

I haven't found the range loss to be an issue. If the target is camping at beyond 15km the shell flight time means it won't be to much of a problem and it is too far to support its allies. I learned with the CLs you can take advantage of the shorter gun bloom to move in and kill the closer range ships and use obstacles to cause the long-range campers to lose vision on you since they were only proxy spotting. The module lets you do that with DM and it is glorious. The loss of radar duration is trivial. DM is more than capable of killing a DD with the remaining duration. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

I really would like to grab the module and give it a go. I'm not a fan on losing the range though because she already lacks about 1-2km in distance with the range upgrade. Distance isn't what she excels at, but she's notably lacking compared to the other Tier 10 Heavy Cruisers.

Honestly it does seem useful when you can position her well and take advantage of it, but I don't know that it really addresses her major weaknesses.

The DM is currently only tougher than the 2 Tier 10 CLs of all the Tier 10 Cruisers, and just barely. Her armor is paper compared to all other CAs at Tier 10 and her citadel is huge.

And while she plays more like a CL she lacks the ability to take hydro and DF while also not gaining the extra concealment.

She's a good, but unreliable ship, and to me the epic upgrade does very little to change that.