You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legozer

On The Importance of Setting Goals

20 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,628 battles

Hey all! I'm back (ish).

As some of you know, I own and operate restaurants. Recently, I opened a new concept, and it has sucked up most of my time and energy in the last few months, so apologies for depriving you all of my stellar content and witty retorts.

Anyway, this is a subject near and dear to my heart. I've been playing for a relatively long time, and when I started, I had no gaming experience of any kind whatsoever, but I had a real interest in teh botes, and I saw an ad, so I thought it would be fun to try. And it was.

BUT

I sucked. Like, I was pretty bad. That bothered me a bit.

So, I came to the forums, and started watching vids, and started asking questions, and I started to get better. I learned how to play within the team concept, how to increase my damage output, and how to win more. I learned my own playstyle, and which types of ships suited the way I enjoyed playing. I learned how/when to ignore other players and play my own game, and I learned how/when to listen to other players so I could git gud. I didn't really git gud, but I sure did get better.

Then I joined a clan. A couple of unicum guys accepted my application based on the steady trend upward in my stats and win rate, and I started playing with those guys in divisions. I found the benefit of divisioning, and started to invite other players who were interested in improvement (and having fun while improving) into my clan and into divisions. My win rate kept improving. I revisited ships that I did poorly in the first time through, and I forced myself to learn to do better in them. Hell, I even became a half-way competent CV player! 

But most importantly, I did all of those things to achieve a specific goal: 50% win rate. This may seem like a modest goal to many of you, but to me it was like taking over a bankrupt company with no cashflow and running it back into the black. When I resolved to get to 50%, I was at about 46% or so, and had a few thousand games in. Moving the needle forward when you're that far behind takes a lot of wins, a lot of time, and a lot of patience.

I have played 7 411 random games.

I am now at 49.98% W/R.

I will achieve my goal tonight.

SO

Anyone who thinks that W/R is determined buy luck, or RNG, or matchmaking, or the skill level of the CV players you get stuck with, please understand why you are not seeing the big picture. Your win rate is an indicator of where you are headed if you fail to improve, and is also a measurement of your experience over the grand duré. It is not fixed in stone, and you alone can change it for the better. Set a goal, and work at achieving it. Get in with players better than you, and learn from their example. WATCH VIDEOS. Learn something about yourself, and dammit, git gud.

It took me well over a year to hit this milestone. It took me more games to get here from where I was than most of you have played, period. To me, it's kind of a big deal.

If anyone sees me in game tonight, feel free to give me a much deserved shout out. I won't respond, however, because I'm presently chat banned, and man, is THAT a whole other thread....

I'll see you here again when I reach 55%.

• Cool 9

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,628 battles

ALSO

A HUGE thank-you to the following:

Haida

Chapayev

Shchshchors

ALL THE FRENCH CRUISERS (esp. Saint Louis. What a Godsend)

Kirov

Grozovoi

Izyaslav

Gnevny

Aigle

Molotov

Bogue

Shimakaze

Farragut

@LittleWhiteMouse 

@Fidelis_85

@Notser

@IronMike11B4O <-If you want to learn how to destroy in destroyers, you need to watch this dude. He's literally the best player.

Flamu

@NoZoupForYou

@Lensar

@Snargfargle b/c we just wreck it every time we get teamed up somehow.

@Lord_Zath b/c the replays are the best thing to learn from, period.

Edited by legozer
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,628 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Congrats!

Thanks! I saw you in game either this morning or yesterday, btw. I would have said hey, but you know, with the chat ban and all...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,606 posts
1 hour ago, legozer said:

As some of you know, I own and operate restaurants.

Cool. I just ate a TV dinner. The nearest restaurant is 50 miles away, and it's just an Applebees.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,628 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Cool. I just ate a TV dinner. The nearest restaurant is 50 miles away, and it's just an Applebees.

I'll hook you up with a Meals on Wheels account for Christmas. 

[WOLF9]
Members
9,370 posts
4,243 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

Hey all! I'm back (ish).

Welcome back, my friend. 

president-reagan-making-a-toast-war-is-h

When is your ban lifted?  (Hope you don't bust before then.)

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,606 posts
17 minutes ago, legozer said:

I'll hook you up with a Meals on Wheels account for Christmas. 

My Dad gets the local "senior" meals delivered. Believe me, a TV dinner is fine dining in comparison.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,318 posts
17,180 battles
13 hours ago, legozer said:

ALSO

Haida

Chapayev

Shchshchors

ALL THE FRENCH CRUISERS (esp. Saint Louis. What a Godsend)

Kirov

Grozovoi

Izyaslav

Gnevny

Aigle

Molotov

Bogue

Shimakaze

Farragut

@LittleWhiteMouse 

@Fidelis_85

@Notser

@IronMike11B4O <-If you want to learn how to destroy in destroyers, you need to watch this dude. He's literally the best player.

Flamu

@NoZoupForYou

@Lensar

Congratulations!  And thanks for the shoutout :)

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,628 battles
17 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

Congratulations!  And thanks for the shoutout :)

Dude,  thank you. 

Your replays and your analysis are the single best tool a player can use to improve their play. You are the greatest resource available to those willing to take the time to learn.

You are the God of player improvement. Well, Lord of player improvement at least. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,628 battles
On 12/7/2018 at 9:00 PM, iDuckman said:

Welcome back, my friend. 

president-reagan-making-a-toast-war-is-h

When is your ban lifted?  (Hope you don't bust before then.)

Glad to be back my man.

I'll be chatting it up on Monday, like it or not.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,318 posts
17,180 battles
9 hours ago, legozer said:

Dude,  thank you. 

Your replays and your analysis are the single best tool a player can use to improve their play. You are the greatest resource available to those willing to take the time to learn.

You are the God of player improvement. Well, Lord of player improvement at least. 

<3

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers
68 posts
10,062 battles

This shows how much I log in to the forums, thanks for the shout out Legozer, and Thank you for joining my clan, and effectively running it for me :P  I am pretty sure you single handedly recruited like 75% of our clan members.

• Cool 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
910 posts
7,233 battles

This post just reinforces my belief that critical thinking skills cannot be taken for granted. A lot of people expect or even feel entitled to improving but will not actually do anything about it. I've lost count of how many people have said "they wish this that or the next thing" to which I respond with a link to a commentary, replay, wiki link or my own advice and it's quickly rejected or never followed up on. Yup sure it's everyone else's fault you didn't improve.... 55% is right in my crosshairs. See you there and congrats for acknowledging that effort is required for reward. 

• Cool 1

[EGO]
Members
3,653 posts
On 12/7/2018 at 6:43 PM, legozer said:

ALSO

@LittleWhiteMouse 

@Fidelis_85

@Notser

Flamu

@NoZoupForYou

@Lensar

Checked out Lord_Zath's site, very cool.

I wish someone would do the kind of in depth replay analysis Flamu does every once in a while. Those vids are pure gold

P.S.  Thanks for carrying our team in Tears/Epicenter the other night.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,628 battles
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:31 AM, CaptainTeddybear said:

Checked out Lord_Zath's site, very cool.

I wish someone would do the kind of in depth replay analysis Flamu does every once in a while. Those vids are pure gold

P.S.  Thanks for carrying our team in Tears/Epicenter the other night.

I live to serve.

I, too, would love to see more in depth replay analyses. I think it's a niche that a CC could really make their own. Lord_Zath has the best stuff, though.

[BB-57]
Members
229 posts
10,602 battles

Thank you for this post.

I could go on about mature vs. childish attitudes, steady work vs. instant gratification, responsibility vs. finger pointing, etc. etc. But I wont.

Those who understand, will. Those who don't, won't.

Again, thank you.

Hope to see you out there sometime.