You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

More effective on Iron Duke - BFT or AFT

19 comments in this topic

[RST]
Members
1,844 posts
11,708 battles

Iron Duke 19 pt captain. For my last four points either BFT or AFT. I was leaning towards AFT but I'm not sure how effective it is without BFT and I can only get one of them. 

Average damage per second  increase of +20%  seems to make more sense but perhaps I'm wrong?   

[-BUI-]
Members
1,325 posts
3,423 battles

....neither.

Take Fire Prevention or Concealment, which-ever you don't already have.

Iron Duke's secondaries are completely worthless due to no range.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
11,697 posts
7,510 battles

It depends on how close you want to get. If you're not comfortable getting in as close as you're getting right now but comfortable with the damage you're doing, you need AFT. If you're comfortable getting in this close, you should up your rate of fire.

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
5,521 posts
5,694 battles

Well do you want better AA or secondaries? Because both are trash anyways so I'd rather use them on this build

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=2,3,12,14,17,23,28&ship=Battleship

But if you want AA, take BFT

If you want secondaries, take AFT

[RST]
Members
1,844 posts
11,708 battles

Sorry, I didn't mention that the 20% would be needed for AA.  I know secondaries of this ship are useless. I already have BOS so not sure if Fire Prevention makes sense since RN Bbs can recover most fire damage.  Does the extra AA make sense ?  

image.thumb.png.d4b61e9be1465729ee6a7312a52cc89f.png

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
5,521 posts
5,694 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Sorry, I didn't mention that the 20% would be needed for AA.  I know secondaries of this ship are useless. I already have BOS so not sure if Fire Prevention makes sense since RN Bbs can recover most fire damage.  Does the extra AA make sense ?  

The lower tier RNBBs are still susceptible to fire damage like other battleships. And extra AA wouldn't hurt if you plan to use this captain for the rest of the line.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,497 posts
10,863 battles

For Brit BBs I like Battle durability, and conceal... you get to Conqu and people like to burn you up and its armor isn't the best, so use stuff to keep her in the fight.  Since CVs will probably be deleted someday (hopes) and Brit secondaries are meh...don't go either route.

[RST]
Members
1,844 posts
11,708 battles
1 hour ago, Personator said:

The lower tier RNBBs are still susceptible to fire damage like other battleships. And extra AA wouldn't hurt if you plan to use this captain for the rest of the line.

Just FYI  I have King George V and Conqueror with 19 pt captains. I just finished the 19 pt captain on Orion and it's fun as hell. The Iron Duke faces more CVs and tier 7  so I was wondering if BFT would make any difference or go for a full survival build with Fire Prevention?  
Unlike some, I like playing most of the tiers not just the higher ones

[WOLFC]
Members
1,391 posts
9,381 battles

Are you moving the Captain up the line?  I've heard the QE is a great AA ship ... haven't really looked at the tiers further up.  But future use is definitely something to keep in mind.

I'm at the Iron Duke now and if it existed, I'd want some extra horsepower and speed!  Was it "Row well and live, Number 19?" ... give me some more "rowers"! :crab:

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
5,521 posts
5,694 battles
23 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Just FYI  I have King George V and Conqueror with 19 pt captains. I just finished the 19 pt captain on Orion and it's fun as hell. The Iron Duke faces more CVs and tier 7  so I was wondering if BFT would make any difference or go for a full survival build with Fire Prevention?  

Honestly, if you feel or have been facing higher tier CVs where they strike you repeatedly, BFT isn't worth it because of your trash AA DPS. If facing same tier CV, then it would be. 

[RST]
Members
1,844 posts
11,708 battles
3 hours ago, DocWalker said:

Are you moving the Captain up the line?  I've heard the QE is a great AA ship ... haven't really looked at the tiers further up.  But future use is definitely something to keep in mind.

I'm at the Iron Duke now and if it existed, I'd want some extra horsepower and speed!  Was it "Row well and live, Number 19?" ... give me some more "rowers"! :crab:

No, I have KG5 with it's own 19 pt captain and Conqueror with 19 pt captain.  QE to me was a big meh. Not bad but I found Fuso and Bayern to be better ships so I didn't keep mine. I did however win a Warspite and not a huge fan. 
The KG5 is awesome. One of the most fun ships to play. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,276 posts
18,607 battles

If you're serious about AA on a BB, you need BFT, AFT with AAGM2 at the very least.  However, I am not familiar with ID as an AA Battleship.  With the screenshot you gave OP:

image.thumb.png.d4b61e9be1465729ee6a7312a52cc89f.png

I would suggest FP for your last trait.  ID plays in a tier group where the Cruisers are very spammy CLs.  From Omaha in Tier V all the way to Helena in Tier VII.  Secondary, AA Spec isn't viable with the existing captain build you have now without a costly respec.  You already have BoS and SI, so getting FP would complete the Survival Build Trifecta for your Iron Duke.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,391 posts
9,381 battles
10 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

No, I have KG5 with it's own 19 pt captain and Conqueror with 19 pt captain.  QE to me was a big meh. Not bad but I found Fuso and Bayern to be better ships so I didn't keep mine. I did however win a Warspite and not a huge fan. 
The KG5 is awesome. One of the most fun ships to play. 

Cool, thanks for the info.  I unlocked the QE some time ago but never bought it, also heard it was meh sister of the Warspite, so Duke has just sat idle. 

Maybe I'll get back to that line, but have having fun with too many others atm.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,276 posts
18,607 battles
12 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Cool, thanks for the info.  I unlocked the QE some time ago but never bought it, also heard it was meh sister of the Warspite, so Duke has just sat idle. 

QE is the only real stinker of the RN BB Line.  Once you get past her the line picks up a lot.  KGV and Conqueror are very good out of this line.

I really hated the treatment WG gave QE.  The guys campaigned hard on the boards to fix Warspite who was sitting wayyyy too high out of the water, showing historical photo evidence that was incorrect.  The guys were on this for YEARS and WG finally fixed that.  Warspite also had the awful 72 or so seconds for turret traverse and WG fixed that.  When the RN BB Line releases, Queen Elizabeth has Warspite's old problems, "riding too high out of the water" and the old, slow turret traverse.

:Smile_facepalm:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

IMO, take Fire Prevention for the last skill. Iron Duke doesnt have good AA or secundaries, not really worth investing on them. If you really want than take AFT, but FP is still better IMO. 

• Cool 1

[RST]
Members
1,844 posts
11,708 battles

Thanks for all the input and advise. From what I hear Fire Prevention for a solid survivability build is the way to go. On to the next 19 pt captain, the tier 7 Lyon!

[RST]
Members
1,844 posts
11,708 battles
12 hours ago, DocWalker said:

I highly recommend you grind through to get KGV. It is tied for the most fun ship in the game once you have it mastered. KGV is a much better version of Duke of York. A good tip for playing KGV is use HE throughout the battle unless you are at close range to enemy BBs showing broadside. Those HE shells are very powerful.   

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,391 posts
9,381 battles
12 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

QE is the only real stinker of the RN BB Line.  Once you get past her the line picks up a lot.  KGV and Conqueror are very good out of this line.

8 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I highly recommend you grind through to get KGV. It is tied for the most fun ship in the game once you have it mastered.

Thanks for the feedback and advice, guys.  Really appreciate it ... I will plow through the QE to KGV.  :Smile_honoring: