You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

quick down and dirty, which crates to buy?

21 comments in this topic

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles

Just got back in town and am addicted to these crates. In the two years past, the $3 crates were the Bingo ( as it related to ship drops) still the case? of the have $5'rs stepped it up? Please help, I am in dire need of a fix so I get some new premiums and never play them, like 70% of the prems I own. It's not the ship, it's Vegas baby!

See the source image

[INTEL]
Members
1,707 posts
11,022 battles

Big was best for me.  Got 4 ships out of Big and 2 out of Mega.  20 crates each.  If you are after camo and special signals, Mega is the better deal.

Edited by ClassicLib

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles

Mega crates have the best payout and the best chances at ships. Otherwise just buy what you can afford and enjoy.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,981 posts
14,623 battles

The middle priced ones. That's the $3 ones, right?

Members
751 posts
13,115 battles
10 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Big was best for me.  Got 4 ships out of Big and 2 out of Mega.  20 crates each.  If you are after camo and special signals, Mega is the better deal.

Grats to you and your luck. I bought 20 Big crates and had the 2 free mega crates. I got a few doubloons but exactly 0 ships.

This cured me of EVER buying crates again.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,378 posts
11,487 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Mega crates have the best payout and the best chances at ships. Otherwise just buy what you can afford and enjoy.

WG wins either way! House always wins.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
13 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

It's not the ship, it's Vegas baby!

Just don't spend more than you can afford, and remember that the crates are ultimately only worth the least valuable thing that comes out of them.

I'm sort of pleased they initiated the no-duplicates-unless-no-alternative rule; I'd rather get different ships each time than the same ship and its doubloon value over and over again.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Just don't spend more than you can afford, and remember that the crates are ultimately only worth the least valuable thing that comes out of them.

I'm sort of pleased they initiated the no-duplicates-unless-no-alternative rule; I'd rather get different ships each time than the same ship and its doubloon value over and over again.

that is awesome advice, but you are talking to a guy that once purchased a dockominium for 130k, that right 130k for the right to store my boat in a shed. it was quickly named it the rack of air and I threatened management that I intended to put a couch on the rack rather than a boat, and would use the forklift to set me off to bed and get me in the morning. the clubhouse was awesome though. All went up in flames(fiscal) in 2008....what a fool..... ill post my loot shortly going with 20 large!

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
37 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Grats to you and your luck. I bought 20 Big crates and had the 2 free mega crates. I got a few doubloons but exactly 0 ships.

This cured me of EVER buying crates again.

Until next year. :Smile_hiding:

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles

alright, a fool and his money......

20 megas,,,,,, Roma, Gascan and krispy kreme, 4k doubloons and the rest of the fluff

Doubled down on 5 $3crates like an addict praying there was still $20 in the atm....full bust. nada.

Granted, I have all of the heavy hitters, so it isn't  like I'm disappointed I didn't get the Kutuzov or something like that. so in all, I still have value, won't lie, was hoping for the Boise...

As Dickie Fox says:

See the source image

[WOLF2]
Members
3,295 posts
14,884 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

Just got back in town and am addicted to these crates. In the two years past, the $3 crates were the Bingo ( as it related to ship drops) still the case? of the have $5'rs stepped it up? Please help, I am in dire need of a fix so I get some new premiums and never play them, like 70% of the prems I own. It's not the ship, it's Vegas baby!

See the source image

The middle ones seem to have the same chances for most ships that the megas give, but at $27 less for a bundle of 12 … also you probably don't need the extra camo choices messing with your rolls?

So, X20 Big @$48 a pop = best bet?

[WOLF9]
Members
3,862 posts
51 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I like these, too- they can drop the super-duper double top secret camos, if you're lucky.  (the +300% XP etc ones that are hard to come by and are awarded in the barest trickle)  Otherwise, you get double fistfuls of the other stuff instead of the single fistfuls the $3 ones hand out.

Whatever you can afford.   The $1 crates are cheap, and if you play a lot you're probably running low on one or two if the signal flags you use a lot of, right?   (plus, for the same price, you can get 3 or 5 times as many rolls of the dice, lol)

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles
33 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

The middle ones seem to have the same chances for most ships that the megas give, but at $27 less for a bundle of 12 … also you probably don't need the extra camo choices messing with your rolls?

So, X20 Big @$48 a pop = best bet?

while I am ship hooch, the reality is I love anything with captains xp… I cant lose....I just love the thrill of that sound that indicates a ship. 

[WOLF6]
Members
982 posts
3,600 battles
4 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

while I am ship hooch, the reality is I love anything with captains xp… I cant lose....I just love the thrill of that sound that indicates a ship. 

Nooooo! It's like the clatter of coins in a slot machine! :Smile_Default:

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,988 battles

None... although that is apparently my luck.  Bought a 5 pack of the $3 crates this year and last (can't remember beyond that).  I have never received a premium ship from a crate of any kind, purchased or Super.  I think you all are just lying about receiving ships, just to make me jealous!  :cap_viking:

[A-I-M]
Members
1,565 posts
16,460 battles

I did very well yesterday with 20 boxes total: 5 premium ships and lots of other good stuff on the first day (yesterday). 

Today, I got 10 more boxes and no ships, little of interest. I also gave 5X boxes to a couple friends and they got no ships and a little coal. Exceedingly small sample size, so wonder if others experienced the same. 

[WOLF2]
Members
3,295 posts
14,884 battles
25 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

I did very well yesterday with 20 boxes total: 5 premium ships and lots of other good stuff on the first day (yesterday). 

Today, I got 10 more boxes and no ships, little of interest. I also gave 5X boxes to a couple friends and they got no ships and a little coal. Exceedingly small sample size, so wonder if others experienced the same. 

So, if you get 5 ships in a $48 bundle - take the ships and RUN! :)

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,487 posts
15,503 battles

My addiction to these boxes continues.... 5 more midcrates

2x camo

2x 1000 gold 

and a z-39 woot!  was going to buy that with doubloons anyway 

[RE]
[RE]
Members
81 posts
2,714 battles

I would say the middle ones. I bought 20 mega crates and got 0 ships. I bought 5 big crates for a friend and he got 3 ships, Krispy Kreme, Monaghan and Mutsu!