You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Guardian54

Edinburgh absolutely horrid compared to Fiji

17 comments in this topic

[70]
Members
1,057 posts
4,821 battles

The Edinburgh has the following advantages versus Fiji for its tier.

1. Can Stealth Torp in theory--in practice managing to stealth torp with only 3 torpedoes is a comical feat of luck.

2. Super heal in theory-- In practice you'll be eating enough citadels that this is a bad joke.

3. Rather more HP (Fiji 31400 vs Edinburgh 36400).

4. 16mm plating instead of 13mm, you will no longer be citadelled through the bow by heavy cruiser AP. Also slightly thicker athwartships (i.e. front end of citadel, behind the bow plating) but any battleship or HIV that hits your bow/stern is still going to come straight through that napkin plating.

And these disadvantages, some of which are for tier, others NOT:

1. Exactly the same (read: Godawful and clearly designed to make you give EM to your captain and pay for retrain come Minotaur) turret traverse and rate of fire--WHAT?

2. LONGER SHIP, LONGER CITADEL (and the same 114mm belt... well at least it's not 102mm like on Neptune which is gleefully citted by Conqueror firing HE!)

3. Tier 8 (AKA Terribad) Matchmaking

4. Much larger turn radius, slower rudder (Fiji 8.6 vs Edin 9.6 seconds) as far as I can perceive, slower deceleration from full speed at full astern.

5. Armour is cheese to even destroyer HE (the plating) or even AP (for the belt).

Then you look at the Neptune which is mostly a better Edinburgh (except the belt armour which somehow goes down to 102mm like the magical Cleveland-Seattle downgrade) and you abruptly realize that for the same 12 guns, a Fiji has 7.5 reload, Neptune has 5 reload, and Edinburgh has... 7.5.

Is this a bad joke? Because that super-heal does not come within contemptuous spitting range of compensating for the total lack of firepower increase... actually no we shouldn't call it firepower since it can't set fires!

You're telling me that Minotaur (ugh, 101mm belt, what were they thinking? WERE they thinking?) can spew out 187.5 rounds per minute (and has 2x4 torps per side) from smoke, Neptune gets 2x4 torps per side as well and 144 RPM from smoke, but Edinburgh only gets 1x3 torps per side and 96 RPM from smoke, the exact same as Fiji... and in exchange for this gross failure in firepower progression, Edinburgh LOSES manoeuvrability. The HP progression is normal and to be expected, but by far fails to make up for the much longer citadel.

Is Edinburgh supposed to be a second lemon of the line, Emerald being the first?

Because if it is, then congratulations, it's working.

Meanwhile, Cleveland continues IFHE-ing the stuffing out of bow-on battleships, burning them down, lol dancing around their shots, autobouncing anything under 15 inches, ignoring non-IFHE destroyers and light cruisers trying to hit its bow, radar+hydroing the tar out of destroyers, and generally being the laughably superior ship.

Edited by Guardian54

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,538 posts
19,383 battles

I love the Fiji and was excited to unlock the Eddy thinking it would be an improved Fiji.... I was wrong. Really hated the Edinburgh even upgraded so I just let it sit in port. It just felt worse than Fiji. Recently started playing the Edinburgh again and it is ok, nothing to write home about and probably not a keeper. I am doing better in her but nothing like Fiji. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,826 posts

Definitely the 'Monarch' of the RN cruiser line... You should be happy it's not at T9, like the other dogs. ++ On the other hand... The permanent camo was FREE (frosty).

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
430 posts
5,241 battles

1st world problems. The edi is still a great ship when compared to her peers. The skill floor might be a little higher due to MM, but the ceiling is delightfully extreme. You can influence games with the edi. 

• Cool 2

[FART]
Members
163 posts
5,499 battles

Agreed -- I had a better time in the Emerald than I did in Edinburgh ! In the rare match where you're top tier it can be truly beastly, but against Tier X it can be difficult to get close enough where the guns still retain some punch. 

The Neptune, however, has been an utter delight thus far for me and made the Edinburgh grind worth it! 

[RLGN]
Members
9,408 posts
18,821 battles

Hated both plus Leander.

While it may be equally hated by most; I always liked Emerald because of its torpedoes.

[-K-]
Members
5,787 posts
9,813 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Definitely the 'Monarch' of the RN cruiser line... You should be happy it's not at T9, like the other dogs. ++ On the other hand... The permanent camo was FREE (frosty).

Agreed 100%.  Certainly feels like a speed bump between the gem that is Fiji and the Neptune.  I didn't luck Edinburgh much at all, and she suffers badly when bottom tiered.  One of only a handful of ships I ever used FXP to get through quicker.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,512 posts
13,680 battles

So, tell us how you really feel... :Smile_hiding:

[UTWE]
Members
223 posts
2,935 battles

I like Edi much better then Fiji, Fiji was one of my longest grinds, worth it though to get Edi. I do think either Fiji needs a nerf, or Edi a buff because I think Fiji is a little too OP (For its' tier).

[70]
Members
1,057 posts
4,821 battles

Tempted to just go through it in PVE, because it's just that awful.

Can't stop in time for the smoke even if you were already at 1/2 or slower when punching the button, can't traverse the turrets fast enough to reliably stay on target (if on opposing vectors) in a hard turn, can't DPM enemies down, can't burn things, can't torpedo worth anything, citadelled when sneezed on.

This is a ship that has no strengths whatsoever compared to every other Tier 8 cruiser except maybe Chappy. And Chappy gets Soviet long-range magic  radar and Soviet railgun handling... (though Shchors was better in every other way)

Even Yorck was less awful than this as Yorck had German HE pen and any BB trying to close with it was committing suicide.

[OTG]
Beta Testers
592 posts
8,739 battles

In a one on one duel against a DM I will take my Edi over my Mino anyday.  Matter of fact Id rather have my Edi when facing a Mino too.  It has good speed decent agility and a quick cooldown for smoke that makes it great for hit and run tactics.  The gun do reliable damage across the board.  Armor is sturdy enough to get keep you alive long enough to use that super heal. Secondaries are respectable and start fires very reliably.  Torps are very situational but when a BB wants to rush you in smoke you can get large chunks of damage with them and get flooding going more times than not.  Matter of fact I like it much better than the DM too (I did just get the DM though and havent fiqured her out yet so thats not an entirely fair comparison.)

[70]
Members
1,057 posts
4,821 battles
On 12/20/2018 at 11:32 AM, Ujenele said:

In a one on one duel against a DM I will take my Edi over my Mino anyday.  Matter of fact Id rather have my Edi when facing a Mino too.  It has good speed decent agility and a quick cooldown for smoke that makes it great for hit and run tactics.  The gun do reliable damage across the board.  Armor is sturdy enough to get keep you alive long enough to use that super heal. Secondaries are respectable and start fires very reliably.  Torps are very situational but when a BB wants to rush you in smoke you can get large chunks of damage with them and get flooding going more times than not.  Matter of fact I like it much better than the DM too (I did just get the DM though and havent fiqured her out yet so thats not an entirely fair comparison.)

Interestingly I shanked a DM 1v1 with my Edinburgh recently, even though I only hit 1 out of the 3 torps in my first pass, I abused island cover to turn around and then whack him in the side before he could get his guns around while he was trying to duck behind cover.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,538 posts
On 12/9/2018 at 10:26 AM, Guardian54 said:

Tempted to just go through it in PVE, because it's just that awful.

Can't stop in time for the smoke even if you were already at 1/2 or slower when punching the button, can't traverse the turrets fast enough to reliably stay on target (if on opposing vectors) in a hard turn, can't DPM enemies down, can't burn things, can't torpedo worth anything, citadelled when sneezed on.

This is a ship that has no strengths whatsoever compared to every other Tier 8 cruiser except maybe Chappy. And Chappy gets Soviet long-range magic  radar and Soviet railgun handling... (though Shchors was better in every other way)

Even Yorck was less awful than this as Yorck had German HE pen and any BB trying to close with it was committing suicide.

The problem with grinding ultra squishy high tier CL's in Co-op- is the insanely good aim of the bots you face,  and how they can abuse the hell out of angling to make your 6"AP ineffective. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,350 posts
15,832 battles

Edinburgh is alright, especially when you consider the state of many other Tier VIII Cruisers.  You have awesome concealment, 9.1km with Stealth Build, Smoke, and Repair Party.  Meanwhile Baltimore, Chapayev, Mogami, Cleveland, Hipper are trying to dodge shells and not get deleted, and any damage they incur is permanent as they don't have Repair Party access.

That said, even though I had a decent time in Edinburgh, I couldn't help but feel that she was Fiji v1.5.  I thought many times, "This is what happens when you overtier Fiji."  Again, a decent Tier VIII Cruiser and has perks that are great to have, but the Leander / Fiji style of RN CL play is at its limit here in Edinburgh.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ALL41]
Members
150 posts
4,970 battles
On 12/7/2018 at 6:21 AM, Taylor3006 said:

I love the Fiji and was excited to unlock the Eddy thinking it would be an improved Fiji.... I was wrong. Really hated the Edinburgh even upgraded so I just let it sit in port. It just felt worse than Fiji. Recently started playing the Edinburgh again and it is ok, nothing to write home about and probably not a keeper. I am doing better in her but nothing like Fiji. 

Same here.     I giggled during matches when I first got my Fiji.     My buddy warned me that Edi wasn't the same experience as Fiji---he was right.     Last night I took a 100,000 fxp plunge to upgrade to the Neptune early.     After playing my first 3 games in Neptune, the Edi was sold to scrappers and her captain has a new permanent home.     I don't mind that the Neptune doesn't pay as much (co-op player here).   My aggravation dropped when the Edi was no longer taking up one of my port slots.     The Fiji is a keeper forever, the Neptune might be also.  

[BIER]
Members
179 posts
2,862 battles

Edinburgh mostly suffers from two things:

1. It has T8 MM, and sees MUCH more fearsome opponents than Fiji.  That's not a fault of the ship, and a problem with all T8 cruisers.

2. Fiji is way at the top of the T7 cruiser power scale.  Edinburgh is actually singificantly more powerful than Fiji, but simply can't compensate for having to play against T10s, which have a MASSIVE power advantage over T9, let alone T8.

Frankly, Edinburgh still plays great. It's a DD hunter, and excels at it. It also does well at defending against pushes, and finishing off CA/CLs.  It's NOT a BB hunter.

Neptune, on the other hand, flat out sucks, mostly because of the massive size, horrid manuverability, and corresponding awful smoke firing. It's extra torps and better ROF in no way compensate for the ludicrous fragility.

Thing here is this: you can't just play Edin as a Fiji. It has much harder opponents. It requires you to be MUCH more careful. And that's where a lot of players get into trouble - they're used to being able to steamroll in the Fiji.  You can't do that anymore in the Edinburgh.

Other than that, it's still a very good ship.

[70]
Members
1,057 posts
4,821 battles
On 12/29/2018 at 12:34 AM, LAnybody said:

That's not a fault of the ship, and a problem with all T8 cruisers.

Cleveland is still godly.

BTW guys I don't think Edinburgh is bleh anymore. It's GOD compared to the abominable Sea Cattle... er, Seattle.