You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Send B-Day card to 96 year old Veteran

16 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles

Hopefully posting this doesn't violate forum rules but taking a chance...

There is a 96 year old (going to be 96 or 97?) Navy Vet in California who wants nothing more than to get b-day cards from people this year for his b-day. All his friends are gone and he doesn't get much mail/contact these days. His daughter is trying to make it happen. If interested check out the link as it has his name and address. I will be sending something off to him today. As I recall from the article his b-day is Dec 30.

I think it would be really cool if a bunch of us wrote to him for his birthday and even mentioned how we are all part of this Ww1-Ww2 era navy game and as a community we are thinking of him and appreciate his service.

http://www.wlox.com/2018/12/05/world-war-ii-vet-wants-cards-his-th-birthday/?fbclid=IwAR2wZ5FsxS9OrxpbwI8eUq0ix8KQt0BBXok3mKB6Y6nIjBkT3u4R1Ur3ZCc

Edit - He served on the USS Lamson DD-367 and earned a purple heart after the ship was hit by a Kamikaze plane. It appears his ship was of the Mahan class. I am going to send some screenshots of the in game Mahan and explain how WOWS works. Maybe it will interest him.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 11

[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles

Wilco

Edit: Shared on my Facebook and charged my friends with getting him cards as well.

Edited by Kizarvexis
  • Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,243 posts
3,569 battles

Posting so i can find this later.  Just about everyone in my family serves or marries military, i can help an old sailor out.

Just gotta get done with work.

[D-DAY]
[D-DAY]
Members
61 posts
22,803 battles

Mailed this morning.  Thanks for this heads up, Thunder.  As a 28 year US Army vet, I appreciate our veterans and those who care for them.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Wilco

Edit: Shared on my Facebook and charged my friends with getting him cards as well.

I have a letter ready to go. I explained the WOWS game to him, included some port shots and game info on the Mahan for him, and also added some info about my Dad who served in WW2 in addition to wishing him a happy b-day and thanking him for his service. I also extended b-day wishes and thanks for serving our country from the PVE clan. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have a letter ready to go. I explained the WOWS game to him, included some port shots and game info on the Mahan for him, and also added some info about my Dad who served in WW2 in addition to wishing him a happy b-day and thanking him for his service. I also extended b-day wishes and thanks for serving our country from the PVE clan. :Smile_honoring:

:Smile_honoring:

I'm getting ready to head out on errands and will pick up the card and put it in the mailbox today.

[ICE9]
Members
811 posts
35 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I am at work, I wrote down his info on a post it and put it in my wallet. I will tell him about my time in the Navy and how I served on the Iowa which he may have seen in WW2. Thank you for posting this @AdmiralThunder

Splendid idea, and thank you for your service.

Carry on! :Smile_honoring:

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,388 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have a letter ready to go. I explained the WOWS game to him,

explain it too much and he will come to play the game and spend his money on santa crates.

i really wish i could send a letter to him but i don't live in the usa.

Edited by Cruxdei

[MIA-A]
Members
2,099 posts
6,733 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

explain it too much and he will come to play the game and spend his money on santa crates.

It's pretty easy to send international mail most of the time.

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
44 posts
3,075 battles

Got the information and will post on my clans discord tonight. We have several veterans and others who will appreciate this opportunity to make his birthday special. Thanks!

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,388 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

It's pretty easy to send international mail most of the time.

i will see what i can do,even if a little late to the party.i'm at work now.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles
9 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

No reason you can't send him one. Just will require international rates and be sure to add USA at the very end/bottom of the address shown in the link.

Example:

1. John Doe
  2. 001 Main Street
  3. Anytown, State, Zip
  4. USA

I used to write to a girl in Poland all the time. It's easy these days at least from here. Not sure on your country.

I bet getting cards/letters from other countries would be even more special for the guy. :Smile_honoring:

[-BGM-]
[-BGM-]
Beta Testers
67 posts
6,244 battles

Getting a card but I need to find the perfect one, just can't get any'ol card for him.  I will also include a few of my unit patches, hope he don't mind getting those from a US Army Paratrooper!