You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zlefin

Good rules of thumb for range?

3 comments in this topic

Members
19 posts
4,972 battles

I'm wondering what rules of thumb/guidelines people use for effective firing.  i.e. the range at which your shots are likely to be useful/effectual.

The rule I've been using is based on the time for the shell to hit based on target type, assuming the target is taking evasive maneuvers.  6 secs for dd, 9 for cruiser, 12 for bb/cvs. 

so if the time for a shell to land is longer than that, then accuracy tends to be very low so it's not worth firing on if there's a better target or if I could remain hidden for a better opportunity.  comes up a lot playing the US ships ofc, given their low shell velocities, and it tends to make the effective range a lot shorter than their actual range.

Members
2,281 posts
4,107 battles

Method one

Target ship.

Place cross hairs on the targeted ship and press "X". count "1 one thousand 2" then press "X" again.

Multiply that distance traveled by the shell flight time flight time to target.

Adjust lead for  by those new numbers and shoot.

Method two

Know the top speed of target and already do the above method in your head and aim at the rear turrets. Or if you are pretty sure they are traveling at top speed aim at weak points in their armor.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
9 hours ago, zlefin said:

I'm wondering what rules of thumb/guidelines people use for effective firing.  i.e. the range at which your shots are likely to be useful/effectual.

The rule I've been using is based on the time for the shell to hit based on target type, assuming the target is taking evasive maneuvers.  6 secs for dd, 9 for cruiser, 12 for bb/cvs. 

so if the time for a shell to land is longer than that, then accuracy tends to be very low so it's not worth firing on if there's a better target or if I could remain hidden for a better opportunity.  comes up a lot playing the US ships ofc, given their low shell velocities, and it tends to make the effective range a lot shorter than their actual range.

Depends on the crosshair you are using. There is static and dynamic and both are calibrated for different speeds. IIRC, and I could be wrong, Static is calibrated for a BB at 20kts and Dynamic is a BB at 30kts. For cruisers, I aim a little bit extra than the flight time as they are smaller and for DDs, i roughly double the number of seconds flight time on the reticle. For really slow CVs, I put the shell flight time in seconds at the rear of the CV and for faster CVs, I do the same as BBs. Watch the smoke stack as each speed level, stopped, 1/4, 1/2, etc, puts out a different level of smoke. Stopped is straight up and the faster the ship, the more angled the smoke. Also watch for smoke going to the front of the ship as then the ship is backing up.