Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tyinnow

Is Ernst Gaede a slouch?

7 comments in this topic

[M_S]
Members
65 posts
2,682 battles

Yep. That is the title. Bear with me, I'm not talking about "špatné stromy" here, but an actual problem with the ship.

Meanwhile, as you stare at me to death about how the Ernst Gaede is wonderful, awesome, and great, I have no choice but to agree. After all, this is a community, and this is the only community for this game, right?

Certainly, it is the embodiment of German engineering. Look at it. It is extremely fat, has seakeeping issues, and has a tiny bow area because the bridge is so ahead. It must be so cerebral. Meanwhile, the gun crew are mesmerized by the intricate, tiny details of the ship's superstructure as their Russian counterparts rotate their guns past them. The Germans also take out their coffee and munch baguettes while their shells reload, and as the AP comes to a bow-in Nicholas, they watch as the shells simply pass through the ship. Meanwhile, the Nicholas is firing its own AP, striking the citadel of the destroyer and, as it was broadside and took its time maneuvering, lost its engine power. Then, the crew of the Nicholas boarded the Ernst Gaede, freeing the Germans from military obligations and putting them into a prison where they now contemplate life.

Sounds like the good life to me! As a commander, I order my crew to fire torpedoes, but before they know it, they have been spotted actually working hard. However, the torpedo tubes were removed and rockets placed on, so it is a flexible ship that could change when the age demands it to.

Meanwhile, the Americans find themselves shooting German HE at the Russian DD from earlier, and enjoy the little twinkle of light while a little chunk of the central superstructure gets blown off. The Russians blast all the funnels off.

-----

Now, seriously, everything about the ship is barking up the wrong tree. For example, 

HE DPM is second-lowest in the tier (after Fubuki)

Detection is worst in the tier, tied with Farragut

Torpedoes have a decent range, but not when everyone is detecting you before you reach your target. At best, this ship is a glorified torpedo boat with a destroyer name.

Turret traverse is third worst (after the Japanese DDs and Aigle)

Maneuverability is all-out bad. Worst speed and worst turning radius by a significant amount. Don't even talk to me about rudder shift and acceleration.

Hydroacoustic means that you won't get killed by torpedoes, but charging into a smoke cloud is unviable unless the opponent cooperates due to reason #1

AP shell damage is situational. 

Shell velocity literally in that category between good at shooting moving things and good at shooting stealth over islands

Few and short smokes with long recharge

-----

And apparently my job is to gunboat everyone down? Hey, even the stock Hatsuharu would do better. Torpedoes? Make sure that every Hatsuharu is dead before you do that... and you wait, and wait, and wait! Meanwhile, get another baguette. It's dinnertime. And you are not exactly sure that you would hit hundred percent of the time.

----

This grind has, if you haven't read the above story, had made me sick. Any tips.

Edited by tyinnow
  • Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
791 posts
12,698 battles

First let me say that I respect the fact that you came here for advice. I really do. And your write up, while I may disagree with your overall assessment, was fun to read. So thanks for that, also.

It is my opinion that the German DD line is tough to get a handle on unless you have the fundamentals for at least the IJN and US DD lines securely under your belt. They are something of a hybrid, and without a firm understanding of how to make a DD work for you I believe you will continue to struggle. Increasingly so as you push into the higher tiers.

My advice is to return to your tier four Japanese DD Isokaze and work your way through the American DD line to the Clemson. Both of those, fully upgraded, are very fine DDs at their tier. They also enjoy preferred matchmaking, allowing you to avoid seeing ships two tiers higher, which you see a lot when playing tier 5 and higher ships. When you are comfortable with these two ships, with win rates over 50%, move back to the Gaede and I believe the lessons learned will help you quite a lot. I know it sounds a bit condescending, but the truth in my opinion is that each tier has lessons to teach us about our ship, the maps, the enemy ships, situational awareness, etc. that increase the difficulty exponentially at each tier in the same way doing poorly in Algebra 1 will make it get hard to succeed in Trigonometry. There is no hurry, really, to push into higher tiers. And I can tell you from experience that doing so ahead of your own learning curve will be a very frustrating experience. I believe many leave the game because they never really get a handle on the idea that this game, while it looks simple, is surprisingly complex. And that it takes a lot of time to really get a handle on how to play it. Not only at each tier, but in each class of ship and each nationality. There is a lot to learn.

Your current overall survival rate is very low. Same for your damage per game. This suggests that you need to work on your map awareness, use of the mini-map to keep track of threats, and your positioning relative to the enemy team as well as your own in order to maximize your chance of dealing damage while minimizing the ability of the enemy ships to damage or sink your ship. I recommend checking https://na.wows-numbers.com/ on a regular basis to check your forward progress on each ship you are playing. That site is a terrific way to measure the success or failure of your efforts. I believe this game is as much (or more) about competing with yesterday's self as it is about competing with others. And this site provides a great way to track that personal competition.

There are also a lot of terrific community contributors who have made "how-to" videos on Youtube that can be extremely helpful ways to learn more about the game and I suggest having a look at a few. iChase, Notser, Flamu, Flambass, UrPeacekeeper and others are names you can find on Youtube that I believe can help you. In addition, their videos are often very entertaining as well as informative.

I wish I had a "just do this one thing and your struggle will be over" to give you here. But I don't believe there is one.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you will continue to play and enjoy the game for a long time.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil
  • Cool 3

[WOLFK]
[WOLFK]
Members
116 posts
13,753 battles

OP makes be want to go back and play the EG again.   I only played 30 games in it as I charged up the German DD line when it first came out but I had good success in it (70% WR).   Perhaps the meta has changed much since then leaving the EG lacking.   One thing for sure has changed is far fewer DDs sit in smoke.   This means far fewer opportunities to use hydro offensively and be a cap bully.    In any case the EG is very much a boat that does a lot of things OK but nothing specifically great. 

As for tips..   

• stay away from the 150s.  upgrade to the 8KM torps (if you don't already have them) and focus on spamming targets that are at max range (or 1km beyond) that are closing), 
  • engage other dd's at your max detection range or beyond, don't get into a close in turning knife fight. 
  • Once spotted begin turning away immediately (always have escape in mind while driving DDs).. 
  • if the opfor dd opens fire, consider what other help he has (CA's etc) close at hand before returning fire.   
  • You don't have to kill him on the first engagement, damage as much as you can while breaking the engagement and preserving your health..  Any dd becomes more dangerous and can have a greater impact on the game the longer you stay in it.   
  • If you do fire, switch to AP as soon as he shows his side. 
  • As you turn from an engagement, consider poping your hydro especially if you have ffriendlies  behind you. 
  • You will be up tiered so know the radar ranges of the Cleveland, Atlanta, and Indy.. stay outside these ranges at all times
  • if you have the opportunity AP on broadside CAs
  • run AR and or BFT if you have the capt. points.

• Cool 1

[M_S]
Members
65 posts
2,682 battles
15 hours ago, Amracil said:

First let me say that I respect the fact that you came here for advice. I really do. And your write up, while I may disagree with your overall assessment, was fun to read. So thanks for that, also.

It is my opinion that the German DD line is tough to get a handle on unless you have the fundamentals for at least the IJN and US DD lines securely under your belt. They are something of a hybrid, and without a firm understanding of how to make a DD work for you I believe you will continue to struggle. Increasingly so as you push into the higher tiers.

My advice is to return to your tier four Japanese DD Isokaze and work your way through the American DD line to the Clemson. Both of those, fully upgraded, are very fine DDs at their tier. They also enjoy preferred matchmaking, allowing you to avoid seeing ships two tiers higher, which you see a lot when playing tier 5 and higher ships. When you are comfortable with these two ships, with win rates over 50%, move back to the Gaede and I believe the lessons learned will help you quite a lot. I know it sounds a bit condescending, but the truth in my opinion is that each tier has lessons to teach us about our ship, the maps, the enemy ships, situational awareness, etc. that increase the difficulty exponentially at each tier in the same way doing poorly in Algebra 1 will make it get hard to succeed in Trigonometry. There is no hurry, really, to push into higher tiers. And I can tell you from experience that doing so ahead of your own learning curve will be a very frustrating experience. I believe many leave the game because they never really get a handle on the idea that this game, while it looks simple, is surprisingly complex. And that it takes a lot of time to really get a handle on how to play it. Not only at each tier, but in each class of ship and each nationality. There is a lot to learn.

Your current overall survival rate is very low. Same for your damage per game. This suggests that you need to work on your map awareness, use of the mini-map to keep track of threats, and your positioning relative to the enemy team as well as your own in order to maximize your chance of dealing damage while minimizing the ability of the enemy ships to damage or sink your ship. I recommend checking https://na.wows-numbers.com/ on a regular basis to check your forward progress on each ship you are playing. That site is a terrific way to measure the success or failure of your efforts. I believe this game is as much (or more) about competing with yesterday's self as it is about competing with others. And this site provides a great way to track that personal competition.

There are also a lot of terrific community contributors who have made "how-to" videos on Youtube that can be extremely helpful ways to learn more about the game and I suggest having a look at a few. iChase, Notser, Flamu, Flambass, UrPeacekeeper and others are names you can find on Youtube that I believe can help you. In addition, their videos are often very entertaining as well as informative.

I wish I had a "just do this one thing and your struggle will be over" to give you here. But I don't believe there is one.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you will continue to play and enjoy the game for a long time.

Respects,

Am

You are right. My assessment of the torpedoes is sort of inaccurate because I don't have the 8km torps nor CE. It stills moves like a CA, though. I've been thinking of the exact same things in previous months, including watching all of those channels plus the Mighty Jingles and Mejash. 

There is one problem though. Not unexpectedly, I was much worse in said prior months, and by the way, this is not a hundred percent my account. There is no way my brother would go back to the Kaiser or the Isokaze; he purely hated that ship, averaging at most 2000 damage. Yes, 2000. All new ship expenditures have to be run through him as well, and all of his expenditures have to be run through me (I blocked him from getting anything further than the Bismarck, btw).

The reason why we run into so much issues between us two is that our playstyles are different. My brother is a guy who doesn't switch ammo types, even when a cruiser is broadside 10 km away to his Algerie, likes to stay detected, doesn't care how crappy the ship's maneuverability is (unless it is the Emile Bertin), and isn't willing to listen to any WoWS content. I've found myself to be the opposite.

Also, I have no plans to move up the USN line. 

[STW]
Members
59 posts
13,941 battles
33 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

Below tier 8. Who cares. 

Because playing below tier VIII is fun, too.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this