You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheCmay

Am I alone? (Ref. Neptune)

12 comments in this topic

[GLE]
Members
19 posts
5,643 battles

Have browsed the RN Cruiser section of the forums and haven't found anything relating to the Neptune being, lets say, a bit long in the tooth. By that I mean great guns mounted in bad turrets on an awful ship made of glass and happiness. I'm thinking in just too aggressive and/or don't know how to Neptune. Loved the Edinburgh, adore the Fiji, and am leery of the Minotaur now...

[USNR]
Members
769 posts
9,229 battles

Neptune was a bit of an odd duck for me as well.  I love the Fiji and did well in the Edinburgh.  I struggled a bit in the Neptune.  I am not sure why it has fantastic guns and smoke and all.  Minotaur I play just like I do the Fiji and I do well in it.  I put a 19 point captain in her and she will do well if played a bit defensively.  It is hard to play aggressive in any light cruiser, as it is far to easy to be deleted by high tier BB's.  I do like the Mino though and it is much better in my eyes than the Neptune was.

[SF-A]
Members
2,965 posts
6,001 battles

I'm about to finish up with it. I've found that being maybe 4-8km out from a cap allows for a good distance to fight or flee. I also take every opportunity to lob a torpedo or two at an advancing enemy. Usually this is fine, since the ship is a good frontline fighter, but be more careful if there's a DD pushing up in front.

Pop that smoke to hide ASAP if spotted before the 10 min mark, and blaze away from there. The ship is extremely valuable later when DDs are too weak to hold you away and the seas are clearer to work around flanks to hit broadsides. At that point push caps as you wish.

One more thing is to not wait to long to pop the heal. Usually anything over 10k of healing stack is good enough, you'll rarely do better.

Edited by pewpewpew42

[SYN]
Members
3,208 posts
14,824 battles

It's a decent ship but you can't give up your citadel or you will pay

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,159 posts
10,904 battles

Poor experience, tremendously let down by her concealment. Being outspotted by radar-toting heavy cruisers is a dubious proposition.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,736 posts
12,575 battles

Neptune takes days to slow down and weeks to get going.

It took 3 games for me to get used to those rapid firing guns.

I lasted 1/4 into Minatour grind before I just gave up and free exp'd to her.

Night and day difference.

Members
275 posts
4,042 battles

I've found it to be complete [edited].  The guns may be rapid fire but the shells are so slow they can only reliably hit BBs unless stupid close, anything else can maneuver out of the way.  It really suffers from the massive amount of Radar because if you are caught in smoke you will get deleted because you can be citadelled from any angle and cant move for crap.  Basically all you can do is island hump in high tier matches or bully smaller ships in low tier matches.

The only useful thing it can really do is area denial, since reds will usually run away when from a smoked British cruiser, unless of course they have radar.

[LWA]
Members
1 post
25,156 battles

Nep is one of the worst ships in the game. There are 1 or 2 others but this is by far the worst. It has no hit power. Slow. Loss of coin exorbitant. 

[ARGSY]
Members
7,567 posts
5,172 battles
On 12/5/2018 at 11:34 PM, TheCmay said:

ship made of glass and happiness

LOL

I just completed the grind to the Minotaur last night.

I had the same problem with her that I did with the Edinburgh at the start. Unfamiliarity coupled with a seriously lethal meta that punishes soft ships HARD for their mistakes. It took me practically the whole grind to get comfortable in her, but that's probably as much me as it is the ship.

There are ships which, having finished with, I never want to play again. EVER. Neptune is not one of those. While I was pleased to be done with the grind, it was because I had finally reached the top; not because I couldn't stand to be in the ship.

Alpha Tester
24 posts
3,514 battles

Yea this ship is literally trash. It doesn't matter what so ever, when you have tier 3-4 armor on a tier 9 cruiser, that ANY BB, that SHOULD overpen, instead finds your citadel and hate screws it with a passion makes this ship the most frustrating to play in the entire series or any cruiser line I've played.

You have how many ships with radar in the game now? Almost 20 at her tier range? And she get spotted inside smoke within 6.6 of firing her main guns regardless? Has a hydro that's fairly short and has to be cycled properly to team up with the smoke, and you can only heal what? 1/3 of cit damage?

Yea this ship is trash.