You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Canadian_Reaper

Isn't the Amagi Supposed to be Accurate?

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
280 posts
3,479 battles

I played the Amagi for a few games a year or so ago, didn't like it, sold it, and stopped playing the game for a while.

Recently returned , decided I liked BB's and picked up the Massachusetts, reviews said it had poor dispersion, but it seems to work for me. Same thing with the Musashi, Tirpitz, even the FdG (and I was terrible in that ship) I manged to hit things.

Figured I might as well finish the grind to the Yamato, so I bought the Amagi back.... and I can't hit anything in it. 

Game after game I miss not only long range shots, but stuff at point blank range, a Yamato appears at 8km in a storm, bow on- I fire 10 guns and watch half the shells land to the right of him, half to teh left, NC drives out from behind an island at 10KM, shot is lined up, I'm pretty sure I would have deleted him in my Massachusetts, the Amagi? 10 shots fired, one overpen .   Montana full broadside at 7.5 KM, 10 shots fired, 3 hits  . Minotaur in smoke at 3KM 10 shots fired no hits.

Am I just having a ridiculous streak of games with incredibly poor RNG or am I wrong about the Amagis guns?

I know I'm not the best player, trust me, but I have no issues hitting targets in the Massachusetts. Tirpitz, Musashi, Montana , as I said, I think my hit percentage was higher in the FdG and I hated that gunnery so much I free XPd the last 100K XP or so.

IS there a trick to hitting things with the Amagi or is this just a cursed ship for me?

Members
1,539 posts
8,895 battles

Welcome back. Sounds like you just need some more time to practice, get reacquainted with the Amagi. Still considered accurate, and one of the better tech tree Tier 8 BBs. 

No major changes to the main guns as far as Im aware. The secondaries are now HE instead of AP (if that even applied to this ship). But main guns didnt get any type of major change.

Just need more time to get reacquainted. (or cursed)

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,188 posts
13,643 battles

You have 25% hit rate on your Massachusetts and 22% on your Amagi. Thing is, Amagi really is more accurate. At what ranges do you engage, normally? I'm trying to figure out whether it's user error or something else.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
280 posts
3,479 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

You have 25% hit rate on your Massachusetts and 22% on your Amagi. Thing is, Amagi really is more accurate. At what ranges do you engage, normally? I'm trying to figure out whether it's user error or something else.

All ranges, I start firing at targets at 19KM, then try and follow DD's/cruisers in closer..

That's what I meant from the examples above, I just miss with this things, at range or close in.  Honestly it reminds me of my old games in the Dunkerque.

That being said- it's obviously user error - (and dear god, am I *that*  bad with the Massachusetts? That's so embarrassing.. I feel it hits more, I didn't even realize the game tracked those stats..) if the Amagi is (as you both say) an accurate ship.

Thanks!

I'll just have to keep shooting I guess..

[HINON]
Supertester
20,188 posts
13,643 battles
50 minutes ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

That being said- it's obviously user error - (and dear god, am I *that*  bad with the Massachusetts? That's so embarrassing.. I feel it hits more, I didn't even realize the game tracked those stats..) if the Amagi is (as you both say) an accurate ship.

Has to be user error, but even that usually has a root cause, and I have no idea what the root cause here is. I suspect expectations play a part - you instinctively know Amagi is an accurate ship, so misses are more noticable, while you instinctively know Massachusetts is not as accurate as Amagi, so hits stand out more.

Another part can be just getting used to the ballistics. Amagi has very different ballistics than Massachusetts. I can see in your profile that you've played almost three times as many Massachusetts matches than Amagi, which means you're more used to Massachusetts' ballistics, and thus aiming becomes easier and more instinctive. Meanwhile you have relatively few battles on Amagi, so the very different ballistics aren't a matter of instinctual aim yet.

Speaking of sample size, that might also play a part. You have relatively few battles on Amagi, so one good or bad game still swings the averages.

Another thing that might play a part is, do you often switch which ship you play, or do you stick with one? If you play an Amagi game, get frustrated and then play a few Massachusetts games, you'll never get the hang of Amagi's accuracy.

I'd recommend just playing a set of 10 Amagi games in a row. You'll see improvement, I'm sure, as you get the hang of the guns and shell ballistics. Allow yourself to get used to her guns, don't switch up with Massachusetts games.

Good luck!

• Cool 3

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,567 battles
On 12/5/2018 at 6:50 PM, Canadian_Reaper said:

If it makes you feel better, historically battleship hit percentages were on the order of 3% or so.

[BANT]
Beta Testers
123 posts
5,065 battles

Amagi isn't accurate, not sure where people got that idea from. The only accurate ships in the IJN tree are Nagato and Yamato, Amagi is a scattershot ship just like Izumo, Fuso, Kongo, and Myogi. It's more accurate than Fuso, less accurate than Izumo, but none of them are really accurate in any way.

• Cool 1

[RNG]
Members
286 posts
4,861 battles
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, Canadian_Reaper said:

I played the Amagi for a few games a year or so ago, didn't like it, sold it, and stopped playing the game for a while.

Recently returned , decided I liked BB's and picked up the Massachusetts, reviews said it had poor dispersion, but it seems to work for me. Same thing with the Musashi, Tirpitz, even the FdG (and I was terrible in that ship) I manged to hit things.

Figured I might as well finish the grind to the Yamato, so I bought the Amagi back.... and I can't hit anything in it. 

Game after game I miss not only long range shots, but stuff at point blank range, a Yamato appears at 8km in a storm, bow on- I fire 10 guns and watch half the shells land to the right of him, half to teh left, NC drives out from behind an island at 10KM, shot is lined up, I'm pretty sure I would have deleted him in my Massachusetts, the Amagi? 10 shots fired, one overpen .   Montana full broadside at 7.5 KM, 10 shots fired, 3 hits  . Minotaur in smoke at 3KM 10 shots fired no hits.

Am I just having a ridiculous streak of games with incredibly poor RNG or am I wrong about the Amagis guns?

I know I'm not the best player, trust me, but I have no issues hitting targets in the Massachusetts. Tirpitz, Musashi, Montana , as I said, I think my hit percentage was higher in the FdG and I hated that gunnery so much I free XPd the last 100K XP or so.

IS there a trick to hitting things with the Amagi or is this just a cursed ship for me?

As someone else said, the ballistics are different and that is likely causing you to aim at the wrong point.  There is also a hidden mechanic in the game where if you fire at the wrong spot it will spread your shot group as if you weren't locked on a target so that is likely causing those wild groups you are seeing.

Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

You get one round of good shot group then the next is all over the place luck to get one hit had cruisers at 9 k and only get two hits shots went ever where. Thinking about sale it

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles

Do you have Aiming Systems Mod 1 mounted on Amagi? That does really seem to help.

Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

Yes still not much help and i also notes that the shells don`t sim to hit as hard as the US shells at least to the US tier 7 Battleship

[RNG]
Members
286 posts
4,861 battles

It is accurate, for a battleship.  I have no problems engaging targets at about 18km though I generally prefer 15km.  Compared to German BB's with about 12km that's pretty accurate.  NC is more accurate but the shells are floaty which gives time to dodge.