You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
strykerpsg

Krohstadt or Alaska?

32 comments in this topic

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
102 posts
3,838 battles

Knowing the Krohstadt is leaving in the next patch, what are your thoughts based on community contributor videos and beta testers?

I see both as a very similar platform, BB guns on a Cruiser hull, similar vulnerabilities and mostly similar modules.

Which would you choose and why? I have about 850k Free XP, which more than enough for Krohstadt and not sure if its enough for Alaska, since it's not been published yet, payment type or amount. Just sort of wanting biggest bang for the buck, so to speak and leaning more towards Alaska because it actually existed versus a design that never went to construction.

Thoughts?

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,357 posts
10,910 battles

I'd get krohstadt. Alaska will be here for at least a year or 2 before they swap it and you'll be able to get enough coal/F-EXP back by then!:fish_book:

I have the ship and its pretty nice. handles somewhere in between a BB and a CA. so if you play either of these classes of ships you'll be able to adjust to it pretty easy.:cap_yes:

• Cool 1

[TDG]
Members
1,526 posts
6,973 battles

Best guesses right now suggest about 1 million Free XP needed for Alaska.  I think this is part of why Kronstadt and Musashi are being removed at this time.

While not the same, Kronstadt is arguably similar to Alaska in many respects.  Is Alaska going to be 33% better than Kronstadt in any functional way?  I consider this unlikely.  If you think you will enjoy driving a large cruiser while you rebuild your stash of Free XP, I would at least consider getting Kronstadt while the ship is still available.  You will have time to build the resources needed to get Alaska, or some other Free XP ship.

The only other thing to think about is any line advancement you can accelerate using Free XP.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
102 posts
3,838 battles
2 hours ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Best guesses right now suggest about 1 million Free XP needed for Alaska.  I think this is part of why Kronstadt and Musashi are being removed at this time.

While not the same, Kronstadt is arguably similar to Alaska in many respects.  Is Alaska going to be 33% better than Kronstadt in any functional way?  I consider this unlikely.  If you think you will enjoy driving a large cruiser while you rebuild your stash of Free XP, I would at least consider getting Kronstadt while the ship is still available.  You will have time to build the resources needed to get Alaska, or some other Free XP ship.

The only other thing to think about is any line advancement you can accelerate using Free XP.

2 hours ago, BladedPheonix said:

I'd get krohstadt. Alaska will be here for at least a year or 2 before they swap it and you'll be able to get enough coal/F-EXP back by then!:fish_book:

I have the ship and its pretty nice. handles somewhere in between a BB and a CA. so if you play either of these classes of ships you'll be able to adjust to it pretty easy.:cap_yes:

I have indeed considered getting Krohstadt now and rebuild my FXP, as you mention above. Since I am unlikely to ever accumulate enough steel ever to buy a Stalingrad, this will most likely be the closest I come, sans the Moskva in the conventional line.

I am hoping some beta testers will chime in their input of testing both the Alaska and the Krohstadt in their beta times as well.

Members
418 posts
7,044 battles

I have the Kronstadt and really enjoy it, I’ve watched a few top tier players test driving Alaska on twitch, it seems like a ship people want to be great but the performance so far seems underwhelming.

• Cool 1

[WTFAW]
Members
69 posts
10,952 battles

I have Kronstat, a good ship but I'm really looking forward to Alaska. Ichase, and Noster both think Alaska is the better of the two. I wish I'd passed on Mushittie and got Jean Bart or Salem. If you have a Missouri you could have both.

[PVE]
Members
7,176 posts
12,368 battles

Have the Kronshtadt and consider it a waste of 750K FXP. Just sits in port unplayed. Gave up on it. Guns are too inconsistent and aggravating. Poor accuracy unless really close and way too many overpens when you do get close. It wants to play at range where the high velocity shells can perform properly but it doesn't have the accuracy to do that. Just so frustrating. It might work for you as it does some folks but for a lot of people it doesn't. IF you have played Roma the guns are very similar.

Alaska seems to at least have accurate guns from what I am seeing in videos. It still sees some overpens but not as many. Kronshtadt will deliver a harder hit when all goes right but from what I see Alaska will deliver more consistent performance. Kronshtadt has more HP but Alaska has a better protected citadel (but loses a lot of HP in superstructure hits).

It's a toss up at this time really as Kronshtadt is a known and Alaska isn't. Personally I dislike the Kronshtadt immensely and don't recommend it at all just based on the ship. Hard to recommend Alaska when it isn't even done testing yet. Who knows if it will go back for more changes?

If you want to roll the dice and try Kronshtadt do so before it leaves. At the rate Alaska is going in testing it will be a while before we see it.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,505 posts
13,625 battles
6 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Why not just get both? Kron now, Alaska later.

My son keeps pushing me to do this. I guess the bottom line is I just don't want the Kron but do want the Alaska. That fact, the Kron being a paper-ship (laid down but never launched), and a bit of anti-Russian bias keep my free XP in port waiting.

To each their own. @strykerpsg good luck with your choice. If you are torn between the two and have Free XP for Kron then get her - if you like and want her. I am sure Alaska will be around for a while.

Also, has WG ever stated that Alaska would be a free XP ship? May be a moot point...

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
882 posts

A million FXP is pretty reasonable (at least in my bank).

Alaska all the way because:

1. Alaska will have better AA than Khron - with the Carrier rework in full swing, I see the proliferation of CV's in game to go way up.  It is for this reason that I also am hesitant on getting Musashi. 

edit:  My clanmate got the Khron for FXP, he is already regretting it because of the AA.  If you want more convincing, search the forums and see the changes to AA CO skills and mods upcoming in 0.8.0 and be glad you did not get Khron or Musashi.

2. Both can conceivably be played effectively with both BB and Cruiser captains.  The US line is the only one capable of doing this (and I have many US 15+ pt CO).

3. From a historical perspective - Alaska did exist.

4. I am biased against Russian ships, although I do not shun them out entirely - I am almost at Moskva but can't stand the turning radius or rudder shifts.

5.  Khron has not made a good impression on me in battles....bow tanked 2 of them (in the same match) with my Buffalo....sank them both.

I would still like to have both - I have switched to "Try your luck" containers in the vain hope of getting Khron.

Whichever way you choose - hope it works out for you.

Edited by jmanII
New information - Alaska FXP and Christmas Crates

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,226 battles
7 hours ago, BladedPheonix said:

I'd get krohstadt. Alaska will be here for at least a year or 2 before they swap it and you'll be able to get enough coal/F-EXP back by then!

Well, you cant' really guess that about the Alaska. From @LittleWhiteMouse's premium ship summary:

"Release History:  Kronshtadt became available for free experience with patch 0.7.5 on May 29th, 2018."

And it is going to be pulled in January. So not quite eight months for Alaska's direct competitor.

8 hours ago, strykerpsg said:

Just sort of wanting biggest bang for the buck, so to speak

Well, if that is what you're looking for, then you probably already have an answer: WG's goal is likely to have Alaska as a balanced opponent/counterpart to the Kronshtadt, and if everyone is certain that the Alaska will cost more, then the Alaska presumably has the same/similar bang, but will presumably cost more bucks.

The the expected superiority of Alaska's AA may tilt the scales as to which ship has more "bang", but there are the unknowns of "when" on the CV rework, and whether the CV rework actually revitalizes or kills CV play.

The pricing/currency is a tremendous irony, really: WG tells us they're concerned about the amount of Free XP out there in player accounts, and that makes them uncertain as to how to offer the Alaska. And the more they hem and haw and drag their feet about it, the more Free XP build in accounts because players are in a coal/steel/Free XP holding pattern..

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
frikking sloppy proofreading

[SYN]
Members
14,847 posts
11,306 battles

IMO, Kronstad doesn't really bring much to the table in randoms

Yes, it can citadel BBs from 19km out.

But you might as well bring a BB that can citadel a BB from 19km out, because Kron can't tank as good.

It does get 11.7km radar, but it doesn't have the HE DPM to fully flush out the DD that's smoked up either.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,782 posts
10,470 battles
6 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

But you might as well bring a BB that can citadel a BB from 19km out, because Kron can't tank as good.

True, but it can tank about as well as any other cruiser, which is what it is counted as for MM. Getting long range citadels on BBs is a bonus.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,985 posts
4,714 battles
9 hours ago, BladedPheonix said:

Kronshtadt didn't even get 10 months before it gets removed.

[SYN]
Members
14,847 posts
11,306 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

True, but it can tank about as well as any other cruiser, which is what it is counted as for MM. Getting long range citadels on BBs is a bonus.

Bring Moskva or Stalingrad

[CVA16]
Members
2,782 posts
10,470 battles
5 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Bring Moskva or Stalingrad

Stalingrad is an even worse "offender" but it is T10 as is Moskva. Generally cruisers (at least the heavies) get tankier as they go up in Tier. Kronstadt can tank better than any other T9 cruiser. Only drawback being it is a bigger target than the other T9 cruisers.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,357 posts
10,910 battles
7 hours ago, strykerpsg said:

I have indeed considered getting Krohstadt now and rebuild my FXP, as you mention above. Since I am unlikely to ever accumulate enough steel ever to buy a Stalingrad, this will most likely be the closest I come, sans the Moskva in the conventional line.

I am hoping some beta testers will chime in their input of testing both the Alaska and the Krohstadt in their beta times as well.

I think you mean super testers. Alphas and beats don't get access to these ships ahead of everyone else, only supers do. :fish_book:

[-V1-]
Members
264 posts
5,579 battles

I'd like to have the Musashi and have the coal for it.   In games, I've often burned both the Musashi and the Yamato down with my Light CR's.   But everything I've read, and her stats, seem to reveal the Musashi as a Credit maker to own.       Since I first heard of Alaska's coming, and once having served with an old Chief who served on that ship and raved about it I've had the itch to get it.   Besides how can you go wrong with a fast heavy cruiser with 12" guns?    It does seem as if Alaska has been nerfed since its original testing and that is worrying and sad.    Nearly all of the comments in this thread have led me to wait, watch, study, and push off my decision until the last possible moment before Musashi is removed in late January.    As in so many things, in the end, it is a pretty much place your bet and wait for the ball to drop when the wheel quits spinning, isn't it?

I really do commend WoWs for giving us the head's up that these ships will be removed as it does help us with planning ahead.   

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,265 posts
10,432 battles

Simple answer is both. Get the Kron now and start saving for Alaska.

Members
1,712 posts
9,107 battles

Hey

Keep in mind the Kron. is available for 750K free XP or coal BUT there have been hints that the Alaska (could) be much more than that.  There has been hints around in the 900K to 1 million free XP to purchase; though we have NO actual proof of what it will be, nor when it will be available.  Personally I feel the Kron. is not worth the 750K price and surely one has to question the value of a cruiser in the 1Million neighborhood considering what could be done on the tech trees for the same amount. But it's a free market and get what you want.  Also, keep in mind the Musashi is said to be departing soon as well.

Pete

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
102 posts
3,838 battles

I did indeed pick up Musashi since she's departing as well but honestly have only taken her out once an not really gotten a good feel for her capabilities yet.

I too am concerned with the upcoming rework with regards cv's and that also helps sway my opinion towards the Alaska with her much better AAA suite then the Krohstadt's lesser AAA suite.

As for the cost, I am ready now to pick up if the price point is 1 million FXP, though I am hoping it's less. The temptation is indeed strong to use the available FXP to finish the Soviet cruiser line or even the French line. However, there's also goodness in grinding the old fashioned way with regards those two mentioned.

Great feedback overall and much appreciated. Still hoping a (errr, maybe super testers, thanks BladedPheonix) community contributor for Alaska might chime in, if allowed, and post their thoughts.

[SKI]
Members
205 posts
36,582 battles

I already have the Kronstadt......

I would get the Alaska.....the Kron is seriously flawed...the guns are terribly un-reliable, and I

HATE that ....and the worst thing is, there's ABSOLUTELY NO REASON that they cannot fix them !!

the Alaska's guns AT THIS TIME  are a LOT better....nice to be able to actually hit something when in battle...... :/~

of course, Alaska is still a "Work in Progress"  so they have plenty of time to screw it up yet....

Edited by GunBoatz
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
15 hours ago, jmanII said:

I can't really answer this question until the currency and amount is announced for Alaska - however....

I am heavily leaning towards Alaska if I have to choose one.

1. Alaska will have better AA than Khron - with the Carrier rework in full swing, I see the proliferation of CV's in game to go way up.  It is for this reason that I also am hesitant on getting Musashi.

2. Both can conceivably be played effectively with both BB and Cruiser captains.  The US line is the only one capable of doing this (and I have many US 15+ pt CO).

3. From a historical perspective - Alaska did exist.

4. I am biased against Russian ships, although I do not shun them out entirely - I am almost at Moskva but can't stand the turning radius or rudder shifts.

5.  Khron has not made a good impression on me in battles....bow tanked 2 of them with my Buffalo....sank them both.

I would like to have both - I have switched to "Try your luck" containers in the vain hope of getting Khron.  If by some miracle the Alaska is available via coal - I will have both as stores are now at 970K FXP (with another 7K DB waiting for conversion special) and 180K coal.  In addition santa crates are coming up, they will be my present to myself, hopefully Khron will be eligible for them.

Whichever way you choose - hope it works out for you.

(1) Musashi's AA is practically tier 6 level, if that high. She's meat on the table for CVs.

(2) When Alaska finally gets here, I'm going to experiment with my BB and CA Captains on her to see which one works better.

(3) Always better than some Stalinium hallucination.

(4) So am I. The only Roo-Shun botes that infest my port are the ones I got from containers and a event.

(5) I deleted a Kron while driving Henri IV so fast that it was almost embarrassing.

I'm just going to save up my FXP and Coal for Alaska.