You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zeriyahu

WOWS Destroyers are OBNOXIOUSLY overpowered

219 comments in this topic

[TROY]
Members
16 posts
5,916 battles

I hold a degree in Naval Architecture from the US Naval Academy.  I would like to point out that I really enjoy WOWS and it is a wonderful game.  It is great to bring back the old battleships, and I wish them every success.  It's great to see a younger generation of people enjoying this history.  HOWEVER ... WOWS, please, for God's sake ... TONE DOWN your destroyer bull-crap.  Destroyers did NOT reload torpedoes, EVER.   Only the Japanese could theoretically do this, but it required them to bring sailors out on the weather deck and go through a procedure taking easily a half hour or longer, and it could not be done under fire.  In your game you have all destroyers turned into torpedo machine-guns.  This is SO utterly unrealistic it is stupid ... literally stupid.  And many of your players are hooked on this facet of the game, and obnoxiously defend the stupidity.  NEVER ... and I repeat NEVER did a destroyer sink a battleship in all of naval history.  SWARMS of DD's never occurred in real history either.  This is one major feature of your game that is sadly unrealistic.  PLEASE move the machine-gun DD's into some other feature of play in your game, like the Halloween thing, and limit real game play to realistic DD's.  DD's should be played similarly to your new CV aircraft-carrier play .... or if as a real ship, limited to something reasonably close to their real capabilities.  GO NAVY ... BEAT ARMY.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 10
  • Boring 17
  • Bad 39

[INTEL]
Members
9,293 posts
26,978 battles

[insert popcorn gif]

[insert THAT'S BAIT gif]

[insert THIS IS THE MILLIONTH TIME gif]

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,102 posts
11,007 battles

SHIPS doooonnnttt have a magic "R" button to instantly repair all the damage

EDIT:

sorry normally I should had check player profile, I didn't in this instance and terribly regret it.

2nd, Don't call taihunger stupid player, unless you played with him several time and against him. It not the ship, it the driver.

Edited by ObiphanKenobi
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TROY]
Members
16 posts
5,916 battles
Just now, ObiphanKenobi said:

SHIPS doooonnnttt have a magic "R" button to instantly repair all the damage

The US and British Navy's had outstanding Damage Control Procedures.  We could fight fires, repair damage and restore systems very very well in the middle of combat.  In the WOWS game only those two Navy's should be allowed to have a slight ability in that area.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 7

[FARQD]
Members
482 posts
6,864 battles
7 minutes ago, Zeriyahu said:

Speaking of those obnoxiously stupid players ....

Don't they check comprehension abilities before admitting to Engineering schools these days? There is a difference between simulator and arcade games (in the first place its just a game). WoWs is an arcade game FYI. 

Edited by sansfaille
  • Cool 2

[TROY]
Members
16 posts
5,916 battles
Just now, ksix said:

Your "degree' is entirely moot. Really. Its a game.

I'm aware its a game.  They put a LOT of time into re-creating historical guns, physics, armor, etc.   The DD portion of the game is just silly compared to the rest which is very well done.  I mention my degree because I understand the history and mechanics of ship design, and specifically of warships.  So many players comment without having a clue ... I understand ... but a lot of players and community contributers simply have no historical context for the ship designs and their history.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[5D5]
Members
2,541 posts
15,653 battles

So this is like your 4th or 5th whine thread on the same topic in less than 3 weeks. Suck it up buttercup your degree is meaningless in an arcade game.

But tell us why is it okay for BBs to have non-historical accuracy? Oh yeah cause you favor them in game.

You are a stereotypical Bbaby.....wait wait Kaleel is that you?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,102 posts
11,007 battles
2 minutes ago, Zeriyahu said:

The US and British Navy's had outstanding Damage Control Procedures.  We could fight fires, repair damage and restore systems very very well in the middle of combat.  In the WOWS game only those two Navy's should be allowed to have a slight ability in that area.

pass.

This topic had been discussed several times, perhaps, with your smartness if you claimed, used the search function available in this forum and read several old topics.

Don't want to get any further into an argument when you not prepare to be open minded.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[TROY]
Members
16 posts
5,916 battles

1 minute ago, sansfaille said:

Don't they check comprehension abilities before admitting to Engineering schools these days? There is a difference between simulators and arcade game (in the first place its just a game). WoWs is arcade FYI. 

I am well aware of games vs. simulators, trainers, etc.  WOWS has put a lot into true historical detail ... so they deserve good feedback on this point.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WORX]
Members
2,574 posts
13,970 battles
2 minutes ago, Zeriyahu said:

Speaking of those obnoxiously stupid players ....

I would like to point out, as many before me have. The action of sea warfare is arcade-like not based on reality. IF you're looking for more reality base naval combat platform game, good luck with that, Majority of those games are now out of business.

^^^ Concerning your quote, that is a maer of opinion/perspective. If your trying to stir up the forums, congrats you got their attention

• Bad 1

[90THD]
Supertester
1,194 posts
6,583 battles
9 minutes ago, Zeriyahu said:

I hold a degree in Naval Architecture from the US Naval Academy.  I would like to point out that I really enjoy WOWS and it is a wonderful game.  It is great to bring back the old battleships, and I wish them every success.  It's great to see a younger generation of people enjoying this history.  HOWEVER ... WOWS, please, for God's sake ... TONE DOWN your destroyer bull-crap.  Destroyers did NOT reload torpedoes, EVER.   Only the Japanese could theoretically do this, but it required them to bring sailors out on the weather deck and go through a procedure taking easily a half hour or longer, and it could not be done under fire.  In your game you have all destroyers turned into torpedo machine-guns.  This is SO utterly unrealistic it is stupid ... literally stupid.  And many of your players are hooked on this facet of the game, and obnoxiously defend the stupidity.  NEVER ... and I repeat NEVER did a destroyer sink a battleship in all of naval history.  SWARMS of DD's never occurred in real history either.  This is one major feature of your game that is sadly unrealistic.  PLEASE move the machine-gun DD's into some other feature of play in your game, like the Halloween thing, and limit real game play to realistic DD's.  DD's should be played similarly to your new CV aircraft-carrier play .... or if as a real ship, limited to something reasonably close to their real capabilities.  GO NAVY ... BEAT ARMY.

LOL, I agree with some of the things you say as someone with a PhD in Naval History but..........THIS IS NOT A SIMULATOR!!!!!!  ITS AN ARCADE GAME  All these people crying about realism, good grief give it a rest.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[TROY]
Members
16 posts
5,916 battles
Just now, ObiphanKenobi said:

pass.

This topic had been discussed several times, perhaps, with your smartness if you claimed, used the search function available in this forum and read several old topics.

Don't want to get any further into an argument when you not prepare to be open minded.

Open minded to what?  God-like machine-gun torpedoes?  LOL.  This aspect of the game is UTTERLY silly and stupid.  The rest of the game is really great, but it totally falls apart on this topic.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,102 posts
11,007 battles
1 minute ago, Ghost_Raven75 said:

All these people crying about realism, good grief give it a rest.

you too harsh on the guy at first post, but after I check his profile, I have to agreed with the harshness he is receiving

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TROY]
Members
16 posts
5,916 battles
1 minute ago, Ghost_Raven75 said:

LOL, I agree with some of the things you say as someone with a PhD in Naval History but..........THIS IS NOT A SIMULATOR!!!!!!  ITS AN ARCADE GAME  All these people crying about realism, good grief give it a rest.

Amazingly .... I understand that this is a game with great historical details ... and not a simulator.

• Cool 2

[5D5]
Members
2,541 posts
15,653 battles
Just now, Zeriyahu said:

Open minded to what?  God-like machine-gun torpedoes?  LOL.  This aspect of the game is UTTERLY silly and stupid.  The rest of the game is really great, but it totally falls apart on this topic.

So BBs landing 25-40% of of their main battery is realistic...okie dokie...pass the bong please.

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,387 posts
4,550 battles
Just now, Zeriyahu said:

Amazingly .... I understand that this is a game with great historical details ... and not a simulator.

then stop trying to make it a simulator. Maybe download wasd hack, it does wonder

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FARQD]
Members
482 posts
6,864 battles
Just now, Zeriyahu said:

I am well aware of games vs. simulators, trainers, etc.  WOWS has put a lot into true historical detail ... so they deserve good feedback on this point.

They have already got more than enough and they clearly stated that they have no plans of making a simulator :)

[SIDE]
Members
1,764 posts

In before the lock. I see where you are coming from OP. Feels like bait but I do understand the sentiment. Other ships and game features are similarly unorthodox. Compromises made for sake of gameplay. It’s the nature of an arcade/semi sim game.

[TROY]
Members
16 posts
5,916 battles
1 minute ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

So BBs landing 25-40% of of their main battery is realistic...okie dokie...pass the bong please.

In this game ... at these point-blank ranges ... YES ... that is completely realistic.  REAL warfare for BB's was fought at a distance far greater than in this game.  Hence the US battleships do not fare well in the game, because they were designed for accurate plunging fire.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
3,048 posts
4,855 battles
13 minutes ago, Zeriyahu said:

I hold a degree in Naval Architecture from the US Naval Academy.

Let me stop you right there. This is a video game that makes absolutely zero effort to simulate actual naval combat. You have to leave your historical expectations at the door. 

• Cool 3

[TROY]
Members
16 posts
5,916 battles
1 minute ago, thebigblue said:

In before the lock. I see where you are coming from OP. Feels like bait but I do understand the sentiment. Other ships and game features are similarly unorthodox. Compromises made for sake of gameplay. It’s the nature of an arcade/semi sim game.

MOST of this game is VERY WELL done, and reasonably representative of reality.  But the DD part of it is so far out to lunch ... it's on Pluto by comparison.  So, I'm just saying the DD part needs to be toned down ... way toned down ... that's all.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,102 posts
11,007 battles
1 minute ago, MajorRenegade said:

Maybe download wasd hack, it does wonder

WASD hack is not available through some wonky download, we should tell the OP that it EARN through some amazing practice to make it perfect. But it clearly that the OP is on the ranting from a bb player who cant avoid been torp to death or the OP do not have the capacity to take it up buttercup and do some practices. It is also suspected now, in the heat of the moment, OP is not thinking straight.

[5D5]
Members
2,541 posts
15,653 battles
1 minute ago, Zeriyahu said:

In this game ... at these point-blank ranges ... YES ... that is completely realistic.  REAL warfare for BB's was fought at a distance far greater than in this game.  Hence the US battleships do not fare well in the game, because they were designed for accurate plunging fire.

Confirmation bias confirmed