Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

RU DD High Damage

32 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,986 posts
4,845 battles

I'm on the Kiev right now...I'm seeing people post these obscene 100k damage numbers and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here if my average is about 30k. 

I've got full fire flags, BFT/AFT...do I need the upgraded torps? 

[KRAK]
Members
2,002 posts
14,633 battles
4 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I'm on the Kiev right now...I'm seeing people post these obscene 100k damage numbers and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here if my average is about 30k. 

RU DDs in that line should not be relying on torps at all. Use your guns at range and keep moving firing at the superstructure of ship causing fires. Use demolition expert to increase your fire chance.

[5D]
Members
1,356 posts
7,662 battles

Positioning.

Being in the right place, at the right time isn’t the key to success. It’s the key to high damage, high win rates, and general overall success.

[WUDPS]
4,986 posts
4,845 battles

Flanks where battleships go? I should not be hunting enemy DDs?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,269 posts
15,775 battles

When people post up those crazy stat screens, those are their exceptional games.  People don't brag about their typical game, especially if they get rekt.  They post the special games with high results.  The simple truth is 30k Avg Dmg in a Tier VIII DD is in the upper half of what players do with these ships.

k1ld7Nu.jpg

But as mentioned by others already, things can be done better, as always.  I'm not a DD Expert though so I'll leave that to others :Smile_Default:  But 30k is alright.

• Cool 3

Members
2,776 posts
11,753 battles
30 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Start fires on Battleships if you want high damage but that is not necessarily going to make you win.

You should shoot at DDs whenever you can but don't hunt them, your concealment sucks.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,225 posts
4,185 battles
19 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Flanks where battleships go? I should not be hunting enemy DDs?

You take potshots at DDs whenever you see them, but unless you know one is close there's not much point running around looking for them. They will almost always have better concealment than you.

Instead, since you have AFT put it to good use. Stick at 12-13km where BBs and some cruisers have trouble hitting you. Use the speed to set up crossfires on already focused ships. If in too much heat you can use the smoke to get a breather. Most radars wont be able to reach you. If you see a flank crumbling reinforce it and slowly kite away opponents. You thrive at open waters pulling of delaying actions.

The whole line functions better as support and area denial. While it's weird at first to have less impact than in a traditional DD, this is the price you pay.

[WUDPS]
4,986 posts
4,845 battles

IFHE, is this a worthwhile investment?

I'm strongly considering going for SE instead. 

[TASH]
Members
5,027 posts
8,526 battles

You shoot at range, set fires, be annoying.  You are a mini cruiser, don't contest if there's another DD in the cap, and harass people to distract them from your allies.

[SPTR]
Members
128 posts
4,637 battles
17 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I think not.

At T8 - T10 the gun caliber is not enough to make a difference and the hit to the fire chance is not worth the exchange.

SE is a decent investment as gunnery is accurate enough to get tagged by CR/BB fire and gives a cushion if you get caught at close range to knife fighting DD.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,088 posts
13,529 battles

People keep posting 100k matches because 100k matches are rare and remarkable when they happen.

As for IFHE, these are 130mm guns that can directly damage 21mm plating without and 28mm with. Considering the prevalence of 25 ~ 27mm plating on cruiser extremities at high tier, I'd say it's recommended.

• Bad 1

[CRMSN]
5,749 posts
3,923 battles
34 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

IFHE is not. 

SE is - should be on any DD really. Even IJN. 

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,273 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

Hey Doc I'll be on Discord tonight I'll let you know my build. I have a 64k avg in Kiev without running IFHE. 

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,273 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

People keep posting 100k matches because 100k matches are rare and remarkable when they happen.

As for IFHE, these are 130mm guns that can directly damage 21mm plating without and 28mm with. Considering the prevalence of 25 ~ 27mm plating on cruiser extremities at high tier, I'd say it's recommended.

It is recommended. I have been able to keep a 64k average without it and run RDF and use it to hunt other DD's when solo playing. I use a metric buttload of AP. 

[CRMSN]
5,749 posts
3,923 battles
7 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

It is recommended. I have been able to keep a 64k average without it and run RDF and use it to hunt other DD's when solo playing. I use a metric buttload of AP. 

Its not recommended. I haven't seen many builds include IFHE on Kiev. 

PM,LS,SE,BFT,SI,DE,AFT is the standard build recommended for a 19 point captain. Some players slot in CE for more comfort. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,051 posts
10,127 battles
4 hours ago, Vaffu said:

RU DDs in that line should not be relying on torps at all.

*Looks at the Liquidator medals he has in the Khabarovsk.*

Use the torps early and often. Especially wide spread into smoke and at advancing ships. You never know when you'll cost flooding when their DC is on cooldown. 

[DAY]
Members
1,192 posts
12,457 battles

you need to give up on doing your job(fighting enemy DD and supporting friendly DDs get cap) and start farming useless fire damage on battleships

• Funny 2

[WOLFB]
Members
2,061 posts
9,488 battles

If your goal is to have 100k damage + then yes, you'll most likely need to give up DD hunting and probably caps, for BB hunt. Spam HE at distance, start fire and if you find some broadside target, load AP .

I wouldn't recommend IFHE, take SE instead. Having more HP (and heal) makes the ship harder to kill. 

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
590 posts
13,477 battles
4 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

You win by ignoring caps, and farming at full speed with evasion tanking.  Full gun boat build, no concealment at all.  It's the most fun ship class in the game.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,794 posts
6,163 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

100k damage = farming one tier 9 bb or like 0.65 of a Conq

not rare or remarkable 

4 hours ago, Lert said:

lmbo

[HINON]
Supertester
20,088 posts
13,529 battles
1 minute ago, GE_Capital said:

not rare or remarkable

For you, maybe. Most players are not 71% with 82k dmg average.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
746 posts
13,616 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

Use the torps early and often. Especially wide spread into smoke and at advancing ships. You never know when you'll cost flooding when their DC is on cooldown. 

While torping smokes is a great idea, there is absolutely no reason to send widespreads. If you do the enemy DD just has massive gaps to hop into. As it stands a Kiev should rarely be within 8km of enemy DD smoke especially early game. It is all about the long range spam and drawing fire towards yourself instead of teammates. Also, make sure you are built entirely into guns and survivability, this is a rare case of SE being a GOOD idea [unlike BBs as many seem to think]

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,794 posts
6,163 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

For you, maybe. Most players are not 71% with 82k dmg average.

its like a solid 100 shell hits or 5 torps

1 mouse click for some at this tier....

100k is expected T8+ if you got less you had a bad game.

• Bad 1

Members
1,291 posts
7,636 battles

Use friendly DDs with better concealment to spot enemy DDs, and help gun them down.  killing enemy DDs off is the best way to win.   

otherwise stay at range and roast anyone you can.  You SHOULD be spotted and firing as much as possible.   You are a gun boat.    Don't be like the kiev i had today, who was just hiding behind an island from the very start, pretending they are a US cruiser.   They were useless.(they complained about being spotted)  your job is to take focus off teammates.  these are skills that you should learn as fast as possible.

as for torps, the 8km torps are not bad.   they are good for dumping into smokes, caps, or at anyone chasing you.  This is especially true on the tashkent with its 1 min or so reload.   You would be surprised how many random torp hits you get.  

looking at that post above regarding server averages, i am surprised i am slightly less than double the server average on damage + 7% WR. 

[KRAK]
Members
2,002 posts
14,633 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

*Looks at the Liquidator medals he has in the Khabarovsk.*

I never said do not use them. They are not a reliable source of damage in Khab especially. Getting lucky because someone was dumb enough to get within 6km of a Khab deserves to be liquidated.

Sign in to follow this