You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Strom

Fiji British tier 7 cruiser what gives on its damage?

31 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
273 posts
2,803 battles

It says that the AP shell does a max of 3100 damage. That being a citadel hit I imagine. But, why am I getting 90 hits for an average of 273 average shell damage? or 59 hits for 452 average damage? or 23 hits for 286 average damage. Seem low, am I doing something wrong?  Never seem to get citadel hit with it either.  Suggestions would be appreciated.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,403 posts
15,874 battles

You angle well or go bow on against normal RN CL AP, the RN CL damage capability sharply drops.  The bow, deck, main battery turrets, and forward superstructure areas are pretty well armored and will bounce many of the AP shots.

With RN CLs, you need to catch opponents' sides.  Even BBs will quickly feel that damage when you start raking their superstructure with RN CL AP from the sides.

• Cool 1

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
425 posts
4,310 battles

It depends on what your shooting at, hitting the armor belt on a BB won't score much so aim for the superstructure, also the Fiji is a monster against other cruisers and DD's.

I had a full strength Cleveland try to square off with my half health Fiji last night, it did not end well for Cleve.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,118 posts
5,524 battles

British CL AP's problem is inconsistency of penetration and lack of British 8-inch guns in the game to give it overmatch on some thinner-skinned ships. On the other hand, the extremely short fuze timer means that it doesn't overpenetrate destroyers and it also doesn't overpenetrate things like battleships' superstructures and the very forward part of their bows when broadside, and this can be a rich source of damage.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,319 posts
5,016 battles

i sometimes think that the "BB ap nerf" damaged the british cruisers ability to hunt DDs.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,049 battles

Fiji only have 6 inch guns with AP shells. AP shells have higher max damage than HE but it only do it’s max damage with a citadel hit, otherwise it’s only 1/3 for normal penetration, 1/10 for over penetration, and 0 for bounce and shatters

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,049 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

i sometimes think that the "BB ap nerf" damaged the british cruisers ability to hunt DDs.

The nerf only applies to BB caliber guns, UK CL AP are unaffected 

[SPCU]
Members
563 posts
4,733 battles

You also need to consider saturation... if all those shells are in the bow or superstructure you'll start getting low numbers or straight up zeros fairly quickly. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,049 battles
48 minutes ago, General_Strom said:

It says that the AP shell does a max of 3100 damage. That being a citadel hit I imagine. But, why am I getting 90 hits for an average of 273 average shell damage? or 59 hits for 452 average damage? or 23 hits for 286 average damage. Seem low, am I doing something wrong?  Never seem to get citadel hit with it either.  Suggestions would be appreciated.

P.s. turn on alternative battle interface and turn on shell penetration ribbons do you know whether your shells are penetrating, over penetrating, bouncing or shattering 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
273 posts
2,803 battles
1 minute ago, NCC81701 said:

P.s. turn on alternative battle interface and turn on shell penetration ribbons do you know whether your shells are penetrating, over penetrating, bouncing or shattering 

I will take a look.

[KSE]
Members
7,741 posts
8,075 battles

The ship you're shooting at and what part of a ship you're shooting at matter a great deal with the tech tree RN cruisers. You'll wreck DD's, but must aim above the belt armor and at the superstructure of BBs to get effective damage. You should be able to consistently damage other cruisers even without citadel hits.

[SUCIT]
Members
978 posts
3,972 battles
56 minutes ago, General_Strom said:

As others have said, there is an extremely long answer to this.  

The TLDR is that you're not meant to do 3100 per shell, every shell.  You will get a mixture of Ricochets, Broken Shells, Overpens and Normal Pens.  Ricochets and Broken Shells do no damage but still count as shells hit.  Overpens do 10% of citadel damage as long as the target is not completely saturated.  Regular pens do 33% of citadel damage as long as the target is not completely saturated.  

There's a million different reason for every shell doing a certain amount of damage.  If you'd like a more in-depth, wall of text answer, just let me know.  

Beta Testers
454 posts
10,124 battles

These guys are right, you need to get to the sides of other ships to do decent, reliable damage. DD's just get wrecked, CV's are a pain as the decks seem to bounce every shot.

The only ship I seem to have real trouble with, even from the side, is the Bayern. Small area on the bow and stern you can do some OK damage, everywhere else seems to eat your shells.

Otherwise, it's my most played ship...

[RLGN]
Members
9,442 posts
18,870 battles

If you’re me; it sucks no matter you do.

If you’re @UltimateNewbie or any number of others I’ve kvetched to, or any other WoWs player; take the advice of those above and gun for destroyers, and sideshots on most everything else.

Aim for the upper decks and superstructure.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
273 posts
2,803 battles
22 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

ok had 60 hits 30 penned for an average 626 average damage.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,273 battles
1 hour ago, General_Strom said:

So here is the deal man. The Fiji will do it's best damage to broadside targets. I Div with a buddy in a Fiji with me in a Belfast/ Helena/ Boise. When BB's push they get pelted by me tossing IFHE infused HE rounds. 90% of BB players don't like that and will eventually turn away thus leaving an opening for Fiji to rip off 5-7,500 salvo's while they are broadside trying to get away from being melted. 

[FML]
Members
2,143 posts
11,264 battles
20 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If you’re me; it sucks no matter you do.

If you’re @UltimateNewbie or any number of others I’ve kvetched to, or any other WoWs player; take the advice of those above and gun for destroyers, and sideshots on most everything else.

Aim for the upper decks and superstructure.

Wub you!!

But yes, as others have said, you need to shoot destroyers at any angle, or broadside cruisers and battleships; bow on ships makes the damagesharply fall off. But that is why you have single fire torps - force them to choose between taking a flurry of AP damage or some torps to the nose!

Good times. 

OP, I’m happy to run Fiji with you if we’re on at the same time. I’ll be back from work in about 12 hours. 

[STW]
Members
299 posts
6,760 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

Did not know British cruisers use battleship AP rounds.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,049 battles
1 hour ago, General_Strom said:

ok had 60 hits 30 penned for an average 626 average damage.

Concentrate less on average damage output and more on the ratio of what type of penetration ribbons you are getting.  For an average of 20% of the maximum damage, it means most of your shells are shattering, bouncing, or over penning (or missing altogether).

Go to the training room and load up different type of same tier ships (DD,CA,BB) and shoot at them from different angles and at different places (now/stern/superstructure/belt armor) and watch what type of penetration ribbon you are getting. That’ll inform you on where and from what angle you should be shooting in order to avoid most of the shatters and bounces you are getting now

[WOLF1]
Members
2,303 posts

i know right? despite lots of players claim otherwise, it sucks, at least for me it can't do damage like other cruisers with HE can, not even close, i hope WG will add HE to the ship instead of AP only gimmick that fails

Edited by Happy668

Members
168 posts
6,625 battles
3 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

How? It only limited shells larger than 280mm (RN CLs cap out at 152). If anything, you'd think DDs would be more willing to get close to BBs now, since they can't outright kill them. Which would, of course allow RN cruisers to hunt the DDs even better.