Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Caine

Returning player with some questions

5 comments in this topic

Members
101 posts
4,684 battles

I played a few years back but I wanted CV to be purely RTS and so I left.  I like the look of the new changes so I decided to come back (I looked every 6 months for a CV change)

While I am waiting I have decided to go from a mediocre player to a player that can help out the team more.  80% of it was finding out I have a problem with driving straight into the action.

I know that every question I am about to ask is located in the forums.  I know there are links upon links and tons of wiki help.  I'm disabled so reading is very tiring for me.  Searching and reading is almost a no go.  I was hoping someone wouldn't mind just dropping some yes or no answers to my questions.  For the record I only play Cruiser (up to 9 so far) but I have played every type up to about 5 or 6.  Could you limit your answers to a Cruiser player only, I am aware on other ships the same thing can be more or less powerful or used in a different fashion but for now I am just playing CA

Radar--I am assuming this just shows everybody within radar range.  I believe it works for smoke and islands as well.  What about me behind an island?  It doesn't seem to work then.  Also does it light me up like a Christmas Tree?  Do I want to be very close to a hiding spot when using it.

Hydrophones--I just use this when I am worried there are torpedoes coming.  I know it does more than that but I rarely get close to a DD to detect them.  Is torpedo detection the main point for me?

Torpedoes--I noticed torps with a hyphen above them.  I have heard of deep and shallow torps.  Are the hyphen ones shallow?  Who can they hurt.  Who can the regular ones hurt (I assume everyone).

I'm trying to get a feel for switching to AP.  I know the basic broadside rules. I know all about how the shells penetrate the armour and angles etc. but that doesn't help me much right now because I get lost by the second paragraph.  As a cruiser at what distance or tier above should I just ignore a BB with AP?  Does HE/fires bug them that much?  I have never seen a reason to us AP on a DD so if there is one let me know.  Just looking for a rule of thumb to play around with.  I have CA pretty much under control

Is there any way to switch consumable buttons?  I want repair to always be T and hydrophones always Y etc

If you answer these you have my utmost appreciation.

Cainethejust

[MIA]
Members
179 posts
6,923 battles

Radar and hydro are like proximity detection - everything in the radius [center of the ship to the center of the ship I think] gets lit up regardless of line of sight, smoke, or even weather events

- If you have these consumables equipped on your ship you can click on the settings icon next to the map to show the circle of detection for these consumables - note these don't 100% line up so you should try to get used to them and you have to do this with each ship you have equipped

Hydro can be used for and is very effective for torpedo detection but in certain cases of rushing people and especially if you have German hydro - which have better detection ranges tier for tier

Deepwater torps have new icons - larger of the new ones cannot hit DDs [Pan Asian DDs - for now], smaller one [Asashio torps] can only hit BBs and CVs - they compensate for having very short torpedo acquisition distances [much easier to hit targets that you can hit]

Cruisers generally have to be aware of BB salvos at every distance - they have more than enough pen to force you to use auto bounce pretty much all ranges to not regularly get citadelled

Also when AP-ing BBs with cruisers you can check the casemate values of BBs in the armor viewer in game - then you can check whether you can pen each section with penetration calculators like this: https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/ - though in general heavy cruisers can ap bb casemates at almost all engagement ranges provided autobounce and ability to hit the shells

Cruisers also generally should not fire AP on DDs as getting pens is inconsistent - few exceptions here and there but still

[Probably more text heavy than you may have liked but it isn't that easy to come up with accurate and simpler answers]

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,035 posts
10,548 battles

Radar :  Yes it shows anyone on the Red Team with-in it's range and thru anything including islands . So if you are behind an island and in range it will show you .

Hydro : pretty much as you said

Torps :  if it is just a triangle it can hit anyone ; if it is a triangle plus more it is a Deep-water torp and can only hit cruisers , BB's and CV's UNLESS it is from an  Asashio in which case the torps can only hit BB;s and CV's 

Consumables : nope

:Smile_honoring:

Ninja'd lol

[LHG]
Members
1,911 posts
5,425 battles
1 hour ago, Caine said:

I played a few years back but I wanted CV to be purely RTS and so I left.  I like the look of the new changes so I decided to come back (I looked every 6 months for a CV change)

While I am waiting I have decided to go from a mediocre player to a player that can help out the team more.  80% of it was finding out I have a problem with driving straight into the action.

I know that every question I am about to ask is located in the forums.  I know there are links upon links and tons of wiki help.  I'm disabled so reading is very tiring for me.  Searching and reading is almost a no go.  I was hoping someone wouldn't mind just dropping some yes or no answers to my questions.  For the record I only play Cruiser (up to 9 so far) but I have played every type up to about 5 or 6.  Could you limit your answers to a Cruiser player only, I am aware on other ships the same thing can be more or less powerful or used in a different fashion but for now I am just playing CA

Radar--I am assuming this just shows everybody within radar range.  I believe it works for smoke and islands as well.  What about me behind an island?  It doesn't seem to work then.  Also does it light me up like a Christmas Tree?  Do I want to be very close to a hiding spot when using it.

Hydrophones--I just use this when I am worried there are torpedoes coming.  I know it does more than that but I rarely get close to a DD to detect them.  Is torpedo detection the main point for me?

Torpedoes--I noticed torps with a hyphen above them.  I have heard of deep and shallow torps.  Are the hyphen ones shallow?  Who can they hurt.  Who can the regular ones hurt (I assume everyone).

I'm trying to get a feel for switching to AP.  I know the basic broadside rules. I know all about how the shells penetrate the armour and angles etc. but that doesn't help me much right now because I get lost by the second paragraph.  As a cruiser at what distance or tier above should I just ignore a BB with AP?  Does HE/fires bug them that much?  I have never seen a reason to us AP on a DD so if there is one let me know.  Just looking for a rule of thumb to play around with.  I have CA pretty much under control

Is there any way to switch consumable buttons?  I want repair to always be T and hydrophones always Y etc

If you answer these you have my utmost appreciation.

Cainethejust

1) Radar--I am assuming this just shows everybody within radar range.  I believe it works for smoke and islands as well.  What about me behind an island?  It doesn't seem to work then.  Also does it light me up like a Christmas Tree?  Do I want to be very close to a hiding spot when using it.

Radar will show you anything within your detection range regardless of smoke or terrain.  It does not "light your ship up" precisely, but any enemy ship within your radar range will be warned that they have been detected by radar which will let them know you are in the area. 

Opinions vary.  The standard answer however I think is yes, at higher tiers it is used most often as a torpedo detector though you can use it as a poor man's radar when normal radar is somehow not available. 

I'm not sure about the hyphen you mentioned, however deep water torpedoes are largely limited to the Pan-Asian tech tree branch though I know there is at least one IJN destroyer that has them as well.  

Standard deep water torpedoes can not hit DD's, otherwise any other type of ship is fair game.  The IJN DD which uses them however can only hit battleships.  Normal torpedoes can damage anything. 

I'm trying to get a feel for switching to AP.  I know the basic broadside rules. I know all about how the shells penetrate the armour and angles etc. but that doesn't help me much right now because I get lost by the second paragraph.  As a cruiser at what distance or tier above should I just ignore a BB with AP?  Does HE/fires bug them that much?  I have never seen a reason to us AP on a DD so if there is one let me know.  Just looking for a rule of thumb to play around with.  I have CA pretty much under control.

A very basic rule of thumb which provides at least a general starting point for cruisers.

1) HE for Battleships, DD's and CV's

2) AP for other cruisers

If you want to get more specific and detailed you can.  There are times AP will work against BB's and other situations wherein HE will work better against cruisers. Recognizing when these exceptions to the rules apply depends on having a good detailed knowledge of the detailed capabilities of your cruisers guns as well as a similar knowledge about the protective scheme of the ship you are targeting.  In the absence of that, the above rule is a good fall back position. 

Is there any way to switch consumable buttons?  I want repair to always be T and hydrophones always Y etc.

I don't honestly know.  I doubt it since some ships use different keys for the same consumables but there might be something out there I'm not aware of. 

Good Luck. 

Members
101 posts
4,684 battles

A personal thank you to all who answered, you saved me a lot of time and aggravation

Cainethejust

Sign in to follow this