You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

USS Alaska - Is She Right for You?

123 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,543 posts
5,072 battles

Another preview of Alaska and if she’s a good fit for you.  For good players, She’ll Do good things but she’s not a DPM beast.  Average players can make her work but it will be a struggle.  Casual players should grab Musashi while she’s still around.  Alaska wil give casual players nothing but frustration. 

Edited by NoZoupForYou
  • Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,959 posts
7,946 battles
19 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Average players can make her work but it will be a struggle.  Casual players should grab Musashi while she’s still around.  Alaska wil give casual players nothing but frustration. 

Sounds like a hard pass for the majority of us.

• Bad 1

[FOG]
Members
378 posts
5,115 battles
Just now, LoveBote said:

Tending to agree with both Zoup and LoveBote…..this is pretty much where I am as to this ship....sure wish it could be different....

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

Is she right for me depends strongly on which currency they choose to release her as.

It's been merely 144 days since she first appeared on the Dev Blog, and apparently WG don't even know how she'll be released, let alone when.

• Cool 4

Members
163 posts
6,597 battles
8 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

So is she done or are they still working on her

You just summarized my first thought when I initially saw Zoup's video on youtube. 

Please WG! We want the shiny ship!

Edited by TheOmegaDuck

[RQL]
[RQL]
Beta Testers
669 posts
15,043 battles

USS Alaska is a beautiful ship and even though may be a challenge, going to add her to my port.  Hopefully, she will be free XP or coal and not another steel ship......

[WG-CC]
1,543 posts
5,072 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Yeah, it's hard to judge how "worth it" the ship is when we don't even know the price, even now.

I would imagine she’s coming soon with Musashi and Kron departing.  I don’t know, but it seems like she might be FXP.  That’s only a guess and it’s a guess she’ll replace one of those.

Regardless, If she is a Musashi replacement, it’s important that players on the fence know whether they should get Musashi or save for Alaska.  

I know there are a lot of unknowns, and it sucks.  I’ve brought up the need to be more transparent with these ships because players need to budget.

Edited by NoZoupForYou
  • Cool 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,095 posts
9,864 battles
18 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

So is she done or are they still working on her

Probably done, they’re just waiting on her planned release date. I’m sure they decided long ago when to release and budgeted enough than enough time for testing.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,061 posts
5 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I would imagine she’s coming soon with Musashi and Kron departing.  I don’t know, but it seems like she might be FXP.  That’s only a guess and it’s a guess she’ll replace one of those.

Regardless, If she is a Musashi replacement, it’s important that players on the fence know whether they should get Musashi or save for Alaska.  

I know there are a lot of unknowns, and it sucks.  I’ve brought up the need to be more transparent with these ships because players need to budget.

I have plenty of IJN-linked premiums due to the ARP event.   I have Krasny Krym from a crate, Cossack from the event and Warspite from sovereigns, Scharnhorst and Tirpitz (from coupons) and Tirpitz Black (from a free crate even!), and so on...

What I don't have is a single USN premium ship.  So, I don't have anything I can use for retraining US captains. 

This makes Alaska, despite the challenges that might come playing it, far more tempting. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[ARGSY]
Members
7,924 posts
5,442 battles
18 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So, I don't have anything I can use for retraining US captains. 

Grind coal for Salem? It's probably what I'll be doing if I can get enough in time. She may have odd wrinkles compared to Des Moines, but I am led to believe that her running costs are obscenely low for T10 and she would fit into my current fleet setup well.

As for Alaska... I don't think this one suits the combination of my play-style and skill level, so I'm going to go with Musashi. She can get Yamamoto as a captain when I eventually unlock him and I'll take my chances with the carrier situation.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
7,924 posts
5,442 battles
6 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Already have 800k FXP waiting.

I have a dreadful suspicion you will be short, by somewhere between 100K and 200K FXP. That being said, I would be very glad for your sake to be proved wrong.

[BARON]
Beta Testers
90 posts
5,366 battles
55 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I agree, most players will struggle with this ship. I enjoy my Moskva and Kronshtadt so this should feel right at home for me. Two million free XP and 350k coal in my wallet waiting to be spent!!!:cap_book:

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,971 posts
16,182 battles

Kron and Musashi were released for FXP first. Then placed in the Arsenal for coal.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,862 posts
2,628 battles

Hoping for Coal or FXP...  Not doing CB so steel will be a no go for me.    I have Musashi....    I truly suck in her?     I can't even..   I've yet to figure out out how to make that work and am almost to the point of bailing on it.. I'm certain I hurt my teams chances to win in it.      Sounds like Alaska is very much an up-tiered  Pensacola, New Orleans type  cruiser with some armor...  two of my absolute favorites in this game.   

[TOG]
Members
2,971 posts
16,182 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Grind coal for Salem? It's probably what I'll be doing if I can get enough in time. She may have odd wrinkles compared to Des Moines, but I am led to believe that her running costs are obscenely low for T10 and she would fit into my current fleet setup well.

As for Alaska... I don't think this one suits the combination of my play-style and skill level, so I'm going to go with Musashi. She can get Yamamoto as a captain when I eventually unlock him and I'll take my chances with the carrier situation.

I haven't been impressed with the Salems I encountered.

[WG-CC]
1,543 posts
5,072 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have a dreadful suspicion you will be short, by somewhere between 100K and 200K FXP. That being said, I would be very glad for your sake to be proved wrong.

When I interviewed Sub_Octavian he alluded to this.  I suspect you might be right.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,456 posts
9,384 battles

Just tell us when/how to get her WG :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by pikohan

[TDG]
Members
1,526 posts
6,973 battles

This is the ship I am currently waiting for.

I have Coal enough for Salem and am budgeting 1 million Free XP for Alaska if that is what she costs.  I am not buying anything with these resources until I know which I will need.

No Steel, so will be very bummed if Alaska is a Steel ship.

Edited by YeOldeTraveller

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,418 posts
10,140 battles

While I did not have a great record in the Kronshtadt as a turkey I did enjoy her.

[BNKR]
Members
1,034 posts
988 battles
1 minute ago, pikohan said:

Just tell us when/how to get her WG :Smile_sceptic:

Seriously. This cloak and dagger nonsense with pricing is starting to piss me off. Car companies announce pricing before a new model ever hits the lots, there's no reason WG can't give us that courtesy.

• Cool 3